Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,201 members, 7,818,671 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:35 PM

Man Charges $15 To Sharpen Your Pencil By Hand - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Man Charges $15 To Sharpen Your Pencil By Hand (1162 Views)

Turkish MP Faces Treason Charges For Exposing The Truth / Obama Files Federal Charges Against George Zimmerman Following Acquittal / Saudi Princess Robbed - $15 Million Plus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Charges $15 To Sharpen Your Pencil By Hand by Rocktation(f): 10:29am On May 29, 2013
David Rees, a cartoonist, humor writer and self-proclaimed pencil sharpening artisan runs a truly unique business. He charges customers $15 to sharpen their pencils to "perfections".

You can supply your own pencil or you can have Rees sharpen his one of his favorite #2 pencils and ship it to you in a in a display tube with the shavings in a separate bag along with a certificate of authenticity that just happens to mention the pencil is so sharp it is considered a dangerous object.

“It depends on what the client wants to use their pencil for,’’ he says. “That determines the most appropriate pencil technique. Some buy them as inspirational tokens, and others for nostalgic memories of classic No. 2 pencils. There also are journalists who prefer my pencils to pens especially in really cold weather because a pen will freeze up, whereas a pencil won’t.’’

“In my original business model, I was going to be a millionaire,” David told New York Daily News. “I figured I would sharpen somebody’s pencil, they would use it, it would be dull, I would sharpen it again, and over the lifetime of a pencil I would get like $100.” But that’s not exactly how it all played out in the end.

Because his work was so impressive, most of his clients didn't even use the pencils – they just put them on display. So until a year ago, he had had only five returning customers.

He takes comfort though, in the fact that so far, he’s had no complaints about the quality of his work.

http://www.odditycentral.com/funny/its-no-joke-man-charges-15-to-sharpen-your-pencil-by-hand.html

1 Like

Re: Man Charges $15 To Sharpen Your Pencil By Hand by Mynd44: 11:35am On May 29, 2013
Nice....I ain't paying I could get a sharpener
Re: Man Charges $15 To Sharpen Your Pencil By Hand by CrazyMan(m): 1:22pm On Jun 23, 2013
Mynd_44: Nice....I ain't paying I could get a sharpener
Lmao typical Nigerian
Re: Man Charges $15 To Sharpen Your Pencil By Hand by Mynd44: 1:31pm On Jun 23, 2013
CrazyMan:
Lmao typical Nigerian
It is a big waste na

(1) (Reply)

Could Malala Win The Nobel Peace Prize / Five Reasons Israel Will Invade Gaza And Five Reasons It Won't / (ISIS) Islamic State Of Iraq And The Levant Issues International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.