Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,602 members, 7,809,187 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:43 AM

Ifa Is Not Evil,but A Source Of Spiritual & Social Knowledge - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ifa Is Not Evil,but A Source Of Spiritual & Social Knowledge (5295 Views)

Origin Of Ifa / Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? / Ifa - The True Religion Of The Yorubas? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ifa Is Not Evil,but A Source Of Spiritual & Social Knowledge by bilms(m): 8:39am On Jan 07, 2013
IFA IS NOT A RELIGION,BUT A SOURCE OF SOCIAL AND SPIRITUAL KNOWLEDGE. IFA is not a religion,it is a knowledge. Or a source of knowledge. A knowledge or source of a particular kind of social and spiritual knowledge that is all encompassing and extends beyond the scope of philosophy. Understanding of It empowers a person to have some knowledge of the past,possible solution to the present challenges and the likely occurence of the future events. Upon seeing how important the Ifa knowledge is, most traditional religious practitioners seek for its knowledge and adopted it as a source of guidance. Some christian pastors and islamic clerics also do seek guidance on some complicated issue from Ifa. IFA is not a religion,it is not a cult,it is not evil,but rather, it is a source of social and spiritual knowledge and a cultural and traditional heritage of the yoruba race.

1 Like

Re: Ifa Is Not Evil,but A Source Of Spiritual & Social Knowledge by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:06pm On Jan 07, 2013
DONT LIE! angry angry angry angry angry

IFA CAME HAND IN HAND AS A RESULT OF TRADITIONAL RELIGION! I FIND IT FUNNY HOW NOW, NAIRALANDERS, SEEING THE GROWING POTENTIAL AND POPULARITY OF IFA, ARE TAKING CREDIT FOR THEMSELVES OR TRYING TO DISSOCIATE THE CREDIT ATTACHED WITH IFA-ORISHA RELIGION!

MOST, IF NOT ALL, IFA PRIESTS ARE BABALAWOS! REMEMBER THAT! angry

1 Like

Re: Ifa Is Not Evil,but A Source Of Spiritual & Social Knowledge by ifyalways(f): 10:29pm On Jan 07, 2013
I'm not Yoruba but I believe Ifa is a religion, just like voodoo.
Re: Ifa Is Not Evil,but A Source Of Spiritual & Social Knowledge by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:27pm On Jan 07, 2013
^what are you if i may ask?
Re: Ifa Is Not Evil,but A Source Of Spiritual & Social Knowledge by ifyalways(f): 8:39pm On Jan 08, 2013
Igbo, Nigerian.
Re: Ifa Is Not Evil,but A Source Of Spiritual & Social Knowledge by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:20pm On Jan 08, 2013
^wow you are Igbo! i thought you was Yoruba because you always comment in Yoruba related threads!

thats great!

(P.S. im not being Tribalistic. that was my honest opinion. I love all my 9Ja peeps wink )
Re: Ifa Is Not Evil,but A Source Of Spiritual & Social Knowledge by bilms(m): 9:39pm On Jan 09, 2013
Lol
Re: Ifa Is Not Evil,but A Source Of Spiritual & Social Knowledge by birdman(m): 3:38am On Jan 10, 2013
ifyalways: I'm not Yoruba but I believe Ifa is a religion, just like voodoo.

Any reason why you think this? I havent seen anything that even makes Ifa look like a religion. It looks more like a system of divination with numerology than anything else.
Re: Ifa Is Not Evil,but A Source Of Spiritual & Social Knowledge by bilms(m): 1:28pm On Jan 10, 2013
I think the yoruba traditional educationist need to start coming out with more details
Re: Ifa Is Not Evil,but A Source Of Spiritual & Social Knowledge by ifyalways(f): 1:48pm On Jan 10, 2013
Well, if the world can accept Christianity, Islam as a religion. I see no reason Ifa should not qualify as one.

What, you've just done is to list a "sub-Section" of Ifa religion.

Ifa, to the best of my limited knowledge is a religion that believes in :
Olodumare as the self existing supreme god, orisha as the head god or an intermediary btw olodumare and humanity, Esu, the trickster deity, spirits (of our ancestors), forces of nature, psychic agencies,witchcraft , magic, herbs and divinity etc.

Place that side by side by with other religions and tell me what you think.
Re: Ifa Is Not Evil,but A Source Of Spiritual & Social Knowledge by bilms(m): 8:27pm On Feb 16, 2013
I dont get u
Re: Ifa Is Not Evil,but A Source Of Spiritual & Social Knowledge by ifyalways(f): 8:33am On Feb 17, 2013
After 1 whole month plus ? cheesy
What don't you get?
Re: Ifa Is Not Evil,but A Source Of Spiritual & Social Knowledge by bilms(m): 9:48am On Feb 17, 2013
@ify, na wa 4u o. Na me u they monitor around? Lol. About ur explanation about ifa being a religion and having sub-religion. How can that be related?
Re: Ifa Is Not Evil,but A Source Of Spiritual & Social Knowledge by ifyalways(f): 10:02am On Feb 17, 2013
I no dey monitor you cheesy .As per your question,brb.
I dey hung badly
Re: Ifa Is Not Evil,but A Source Of Spiritual & Social Knowledge by micklplus(m): 6:35pm On Feb 17, 2013
Ifa is not a religion. Ifa is a knowledge. Ifa is encompassing and 'all-knowing"

Ifa-Orisha is the Knowledge of "things(physical, spiritual and the supernatural)"

Mostly, the custodians of ifa are babalawos being that, the babalawos act as the middleman/interpreter between ifa ( knowledge) and the people( knowledge seekers).

Christianity and the other likes are religion. Aborishas are the worshippers of the orishas.

This is my 5kobo.
Cheers
Re: Ifa Is Not Evil,but A Source Of Spiritual & Social Knowledge by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:44pm On Feb 17, 2013
micklplus: Ifa is not a religion. Ifa is a knowledge. Ifa is encompassing and 'all-knowing"

Ifa-Orisha is the Knowledge of "things(physical, spiritual and the supernatural)"

Mostly, the custodians of ifa are babalawos being that, the babalawos act as the middleman/interpreter between ifa ( knowledge) and the people( knowledge seekers).

Christianity and the other likes are religion. Aborishas are the worshippers of the orishas.

This is my 5kobo.
Cheers

Ifa by itself is not a religion. it is a part of the Greater Ifa-Orisha religion.
Re: Ifa Is Not Evil,but A Source Of Spiritual & Social Knowledge by bilms(m): 10:44am On Feb 19, 2013
@pegan, you got it.
Re: Ifa Is Not Evil,but A Source Of Spiritual & Social Knowledge by bilms(m): 3:41pm On Jul 03, 2013
wink

(1) (Reply)

Settlement Of Marine Kingdom / Why Do Men Pay The Bride Price Of A Woman? / Did The Igbo's Migrate From Isreal?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.