Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,982 members, 7,828,478 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:17 AM

Nigeria Go Better With Time - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Go Better With Time (1050 Views)

Petrol Price In Saudi Arabia: Can Nigeria Go This Far? / President Buhari Was Misquoted: Like An Old Wine,he Gets Better With Age- Adesin / Should Nigeria Go To War With Chad Or Level The Country-see Evidence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Go Better With Time by Afam4eva(m): 1:18am On May 30, 2013
I've always been annoyed with the "Nigeria go better" singers because I've always been of the opinion that their positive thought of Nigeria has no basis as things seem not to be looking up for the country. But after ruminating on where Nigeria may be headed, I have come to sorta agree with them. But my agreement with their song of future-positivity comes with a different look on things.

We know Nigeria has not moved forward since after the first and second republic when there was a glimmer of hope until it was bastardized by the numerous military regimes who had no foresight whatsoever for the country. So, the military are mostly responsible for the many problems that have bedeviled Nigeria and these problems are still here with. In 1999, democracy was once again re-introduced into our political landscape but the problem was that, it was the same characters that have blundered Nigeria into the abyss during the military days that spearheaded these deceitful brand of democracy. A lot of these characters are still in and around government and their body language does not suggest them leaving the stage for the young ones anytime soon. The truth is that, for Nigeria to move forward these people either have to voluntarily quit politics or they need to die so that fresh and young brains will emerge and move Nigeria to enviable heights. That brings me to the problem of Nigeria which in my humble opinion is the fact that old people who are clueless are the ones running the show. SO, we need young people in important places for Nigeria to make a headway.

The only industry that is making progress in Nigeria in the Entertainment Industry(Music, Movies etc). if every other industries were succeeded like the entertainment industry, we won't be complaining. Our Musicians are now rubbing shoulders with the best in the world and their music are been played in clubs the world over. Loads of people have been employed through the music industry. The same thing applies to the movie industry. The reason why this is possible is because of the age range of people running the show. Imagine if we had people like these in different parastatals of government...Even in government itself, the few people who have separated themselves from the lot are usually the younger ones. Look at Fashola, Akpabio, Chime, Amaechi, Donald Duke etc. These are the youngest governors when compared with their peers and they have proved beyond every reasonable doubt that they are equal to the task. Imagine having people like these in every state government house and every parastatals, Nigeria will definitely be better for it.

In conclusion, since the old cargos have refused to leave or die now, the only choice left for Nigerians is to wait till they die. Most humans don't cross 100 years. So, we have to wait till all of them are long them before Nigeria starts recording some meaningful development especially in the federal level. Change will definitely come but when is what we don't know. Wait on Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Go Better With Time by wildchild1: 1:33am On May 30, 2013
1st to comment...yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

1st,i'ld like to thank God for giving me this wonderful oppprtunity,only if una knw sinx wen i don dey find dis chance to be the 1st to comment,2ndly to PHCN for "taking the light" 5 mins ago if not that ionno go wake up and to my beautiful sarewa baby who refused to open toto at this time of the day,hence i wouldnt av bin on nairaland by this time,i for dey knack akpako,to the 'semi-oga' at the top Mr Afam for starting this thread and finally to the oga at the top patapata Seun Osewa...i say God bless you all *falls back to bed and tries to cuddle my baby*
Re: Nigeria Go Better With Time by infonubia(m): 2:13am On May 30, 2013
Very well stated Afam. I am also of the opinion that Nigeria can only be better if we invest in the younger generation. However, I'm afraid that my generation has been stung by the same corruption bug that has plagued the older generation of rulers.

Besides the entertainment industry, there has also been significant improvement in technology as well. We are not there yet but we are on the right path.

Good post. I enjoyed reading it.
Re: Nigeria Go Better With Time by mensdept: 2:14am On May 30, 2013
Its not a matter of Naija go betta with time. That echoes the same complacent attitude that is widespread. How about Naija go beta when we rid ourselves of corrupt leaders and all these pastors all over the place.
Re: Nigeria Go Better With Time by Afam4eva(m): 2:15am On May 30, 2013
mens dept: Its not a matter of Naija go betta with time. That echoes the same complacent attitude that is widespread. How about Naija go beta when we rid ourselves of corrupt leaders and all these pastors all over the place.
This is another option but judging from the body language of Nigerians, satan stands a better chance of making heaven than this happening. I'll stick to something more realistic than idealistic.
Re: Nigeria Go Better With Time by mensdept: 2:17am On May 30, 2013
Afam4eva:
This is another option but judging from the body language of Nigerians, satan stands a better chance of making heaven than this happening. I'll stick to something more realistic than idealistic.

I agree with you, I have no problem with that statement. Just a shame it is this way for Nigerians.
Re: Nigeria Go Better With Time by EkoIle1: 2:51am On May 30, 2013
Afam4eva: I've always been annoyed with the "Nigeria go better" singers because I've always been of the opinion that their positive thought of Nigeria has no basis as things seem not to be looking up for the country. But after ruminating on where Nigeria may be headed, I have come to sorta agree with them. But my agreement with their song of future-positivity comes with a different look on things.

We know Nigeria has not moved forward since after the first and second republic when there was a glimmer of hope until it was bastardized by the numerous military regimes who had no foresight whatsoever for the country. So, the military are mostly responsible for the many problems that have bedeviled Nigeria and these problems are still here with. In 1999, democracy was once again re-introduced into our political landscape but the problem was that, it was the same characters that have blundered Nigeria into the abyss during the military days that spearheaded these deceitful brand of democracy. A lot of these characters are still in and around government and their body language does not suggest them leaving the stage for the young ones anytime soon. The truth is that, for Nigeria to move forward these people either have to voluntarily quit politics or they need to die so that fresh and young brains will emerge and move Nigeria to enviable heights. That brings me to the problem of Nigeria which in my humble opinion is the fact that old people who are clueless are the ones running the show. SO, we need young people in important places for Nigeria to make a headway.

The only industry that is making progress in Nigeria in the Entertainment Industry(Music, Movies etc). if every other industries were succeeded like the entertainment industry, we won't be complaining. Our Musicians are now rubbing shoulders with the best in the world and their music are been played in clubs the world over. Loads of people have been employed through the music industry. The same thing applies to the movie industry. The reason why this is possible is because of the age range of people running the show. Imagine if we had people like these in different parastatals of government...Even in government itself, the few people who have separated themselves from the lot are usually the younger ones. Look at Fashola, Akpabio, Chime, Amaechi, Donald Duke etc. These are the youngest governors when compared with their peers and they have proved beyond every reasonable doubt that

Carry go, but not with the correction and I'll articulate my reasons based on the content of your post and Nigerians deserving good leaders to move us forward.

Akpabio

Akpabio is the leader of a very rich oil state in Nigeria and the state is also blessed with many great Nigerians including many honest and hard working folks from this great state scattered all over Nigeria, but Akpabio as a leader and governor is one of the many crooked despots we can do without. This man represent the opposite of the good and better Nigeria you opined about and he's also betrayed all the sentiments you shared about a better Nigeria.

Akpabio is a lousy and crooked financial manager and he's void of credible vision including what to do with the immense resources at his disposal so I don't see this man leading us anywhere.

1. Akpabio posts the highest budgets in Nigeria and last year, he spent almost N600 billion and so far this year, N539 billion is gone including N80 billion supplemental while last year's supplemental was N125 billion and the year is not even half way through. Still, there is little or nothing to show for all that money.

2. We also need good and law abiding leaders, we want them not only to create good and credible institutions to serve us and make our lives better, but also to obey and respect the same laws and institutions, but Akpabio also betrayed both several so many times and even recently with the NGF elections.

3. Apart from being a reckless and untrustworthy leader financially by wasting state's resources on trivial and frivolous things like giving free luxury jeeps to celebrities and sending tens of people to DUBAI just to attend some wedding all at the expense of the good people of Akwa Ibom, he's also an election rigger according to his own utterances and the recent NGF elections.

4. INEC AS an institution created by Nigerians with laws and clauses, we all put our faith in it to conduct free and fair elections and we also expect our leaders to respect the process and not to run circles around it. As admitted by Akpabio that he rigged elections, he not only should not be a governor by now, he should be in jail, he's not because this is not yet the better Nigerian you are talking about simply because we have crooked people like Apabio in government to protect and shield people like Akpabio from our laws and regulatory institutions.

I fit go on and on, but I'll stop for now...

Obviously, this man is a bad leader and a lousy template for good leaders, he shouldn't part of our future and this is based on this thread and it's premise about good leaders making our country a better country.

Chime-

I don't feel comfortable talking about him because he's sick, but this is also my main gripe against him. We expect good leaders to know when to throw in the towel and inject new and vibrant energy into the governing process on behalf of the people.

Watching our leaders flying in and out of the country for medical treatment and hanging on to power by any means necessary while plagued with life threatening illness instead of stepping away from the rigors of governance and taking care of their medical conditions for their sake and for the sake of their family is not a good thing.

Life is precious and the man need to step aside for a new and energetic blood to lead the good people of Enugu into the future...

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Go Better With Time by UyiIredia(m): 2:57am On May 30, 2013
A good example of the politicians Afam described is Senator David Mark. A well-known man back in the IBB days. I hope our youths use the time left before these elements rot away to prepare themselves for leadership roles in the society.
Re: Nigeria Go Better With Time by cfours: 3:59am On May 30, 2013
Afam4eva:
The only industry that is making progress in Nigeria in the Entertainment Industry(Music, Movies etc). if every other industries were succeeded like the entertainment industry, we won't be complaining. Our Musicians are now rubbing shoulders with the best in the world and their music are been played in clubs the world over. Loads of people have been employed through the music industry. The same thing applies to the movie industry. The reason why this is possible is because of the age range of people running the show. Imagine if we had people like these in different parastatals of government...Even in government itself, the few people who have separated themselves from the lot are usually the younger ones.

Therein lies your answer.
You have answered your own question!!!
Look all over the world, how many african or black dominated societies, communities are successful? NONE
Where do you typically find any successful black person whether in Africa or abroad? Entertainment and Sport
GBAM.
the problem is not Nigeria. But symptom of being african/black persons in general. we are generally charismatic but lack self-discipline and grit. always wanna have fun and value material success hence we typically succeed in fun or showy things like entertainment and sport. lol from ghana with azonto to congo with makossa. nigeria ain't all dat exceptional but we have huge population and are loud which is why we stand out in that area.

of course there might be exceptions to the rule. some village or black country somewhere that is thriving. but those will be exceptions.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Go Better With Time by cfours: 4:25am On May 30, 2013
oh well
Re: Nigeria Go Better With Time by Nobody: 5:16am On May 30, 2013
It shall be well with Naija.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Go Better With Time by Garrithe1st: 5:39am On May 30, 2013
wild child: 1st to comment...yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

1st,i'ld like to thank God for giving me this wonderful oppprtunity,only if una knw sinx wen i don dey find dis chance to be the 1st to comment,2ndly to PHCN for "taking the light" 5 mins ago if not that ionno go wake up and to my beautiful sarewa baby who refused to open toto at this time of the day,hence i wouldnt av bin on nairaland by this time,i for dey knack akpako,to the 'semi-oga' at the top Mr Afam for starting this thread and finally to the oga at the top patapata Seun Osewa...i say God bless you all *falls back to bed and tries to cuddle my baby*

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigeria Go Better With Time by Burger01(m): 5:59am On May 30, 2013
Nigeria go better with our collective rejection of corrupt practices that hinders the natural cause of development in the country. Corrupt politicians should be sentenced to nothing less than 50 years imprisonment if not sentenced to death by hanging. We tackle corruption with levity and, my brother, corruption is the bane of development in Nigeria. Yeah! Naija go better... it starts with you and me saying 'NO' to corruption and anti-social development vices.

sad
Re: Nigeria Go Better With Time by Nobody: 6:26am On May 30, 2013
"Nigeria go better" is a phrase of hope that depressed nigerians lean on. Generally, nigerians have this "e go better" mentality. You know, we always believe that one day we'll get to the other side.
Its a good thing to be optimistic and hopeful about the future but most times (as the case seems to be in nigeria) it leads to unnecessary complacency and procrastination. We only lean on hope and put our faith in God while not working towards our ambitions. In summary, religion and false hope kills our dreams and aspirations.

The age of the politicians don't matter much. In most parts of the world, it is the aged politicians who rule most of the time. People tend to trust their judgement better than they would with the younger ones. Besides, the mentality of the average nigerian youth is too capitalist, all they seem to care about is money, and they're not properly educated too. I prefer the old school for the status quo, when the time is right for the real younger generation, we'll take on the world.
Re: Nigeria Go Better With Time by Nobody: 6:30am On May 30, 2013
c.fours:

Look all over the world, how many african or black dominated societies, communities are successful? NONE
Where do you typically find any successful black person whether in Africa or abroad? Entertainment and Sport
GBAM.
the problem is not Nigeria. But symptom of being african/black persons in general. we are generally charismatic but lack self-discipline and grit. always wanna have fun and value material success hence we typically succeed in fun or showy things like entertainment and sport. lol from ghana with azonto to congo with makossa. nigeria ain't all dat exceptional but we have huge population and are loud which is why we stand out in that area.

of course there might be exceptions to the rule. some village or black country somewhere that is thriving. but those will be exceptions.

The most successful people in Nigeria are not in entertainment.
Re: Nigeria Go Better With Time by Afam4eva(m): 10:11am On May 30, 2013
c.fours:

GBAM.

If it was the older generation that were in-charge of the entertainment industry, it wouldn't thrive the way it is thriving today. So, it still re-enforces my point that age plays a very big part.
Re: Nigeria Go Better With Time by cfours: 12:54am On May 31, 2013
J12:

The most successful people in Nigeria are not in entertainment.

I agree with you. but entertainment is a flashy industry so it seems like we are only successful in entertainment when actually we are doing ok in a lot of areas (at least when compared within d african continent).
but all over the world though, when we look internationally, blacks typically are more entertainment inclined.
Re: Nigeria Go Better With Time by cfours: 1:17am On May 31, 2013
Afam4eva:
If it was the older generation that were in-charge of the entertainment industry, it wouldn't thrive the way it is thriving today. So, it still re-enforces my point that age plays a very big part.

hmm ok. I think ur comparing apples to oranges.

But just remember that the old people in government today were all young when they got involved. Obasanjo was in his 30s when he first became head of state. Gowon was in his early 30s. Ojukwu was also in his early 30s. etc. All were younger than Fashola by at least a decade. All over Africa, all d dictators we have today were young when they took control of their countries and turned the continent into a bloody, violent mess. Many never left. although with age, they are less violent but the sense of ownership is still there. d feeling that they own the country.

What I believe is that they shouldn't have even be there in d first place. we need educated, wise, productive leaders. not showy, flashy, controlling leaders (whether old or young). Ex Fashola was a very educated, accomplished lawyer before entering politics. He entered under the tutelage of Tinubu, his predecessor. So growth really builds on itself. yea we credit fashola for being a great governor but much of the foundation was laid before he arrived by tinubu (first governor of lagos under democratic government -1999). Even in a place like Osun state, the current governor over there, Aregbeshola, was a commissioner for works and housing under Tinubu. I think it's too early, 1999 is not that long ago, to expect miracles. things will get better gradually.

If we don't want to repeat past mistakes, I would encourage Nigerian youth to be more civically engaged and be involved in whatever way they can rather than spending all their time dancing in clubs or jiving to p-square/wizkid, they should spend some of their youthful energy in cultivating themselves as leaders of their communities. if d local communities are strong, the country will be strong.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Go Better With Time by gramci: 1:20am On May 31, 2013
i will respond to this later
Re: Nigeria Go Better With Time by EkoIle1: 1:27am On May 31, 2013
c.fours:

But just remember that the old people in government today were all young when they got involved. Obasanjo was in his 30s when he first became head of state. Gowon was in his early 30s. Ojukwu was also in his early 30s. etc. All were younger than Fashola by at least a decade. All over Africa, all d dictators we have today were young when they took control of their countries and turned the continent into a bloody, violent mess. Many never left. although with age, they are less violent but the sense of ownership is still there. d feeling that they own the country.

What I believe is that they shouldn't have even be there in d first place. we need educated, wise, productive leaders. not showy, flashy, controlling leaders (whether old or young). Ex Fashola was a very educated, accomplished lawyer before entering politics. He entered under the tutelage of Tinubu, his predecessor. So growth really builds on itself. yea we credit fashola for being a great governor but much of the foundation was laid before he arrived by tinubu (first governor of lagos under democratic government -1999). Even in a place like Osun state, the current governor over there, Aregbeshola, was a commissioner for works and housing under Tinubu. I think it's too early, 1999 is not that long ago, to expect miracles. things will get better gradually.

If we don't want to repeat past mistakes, I would encourage Nigerian youth to be more civically engaged and be involved in whatever way they can rather than spending all their time dancing in clubs or jiving to p-square/wizkid, they should spend some of their youthful energy in cultivating themselves as leaders of their community. if d local communities are strong, the country will be strong.

Great post..
Re: Nigeria Go Better With Time by free2ryhme: 3:08am On May 31, 2013
Afam4eva: I've always been annoyed with the "Nigeria go better" singers because I've always been of the opinion that their positive thought of Nigeria has no basis as things seem not to be looking up for the country. But after ruminating on where Nigeria may be headed, I have come to sorta agree with them. But my agreement with their song of future-positivity comes with a different look on things.

The only industry that is making progress in Nigeria in the Entertainment Industry(Music, Movies etc). if every other industries were succeeded like the entertainment industry, we won't be complaining. Our Musicians are now rubbing shoulders with the best in the world and their music are been played in clubs the world over. Loads of people have been employed through the music industry. The same thing applies to the movie industry. The reason why this is possible is because of the age range of people running the show. Imagine if we had people like these in different parastatals of government...Even in government itself, the few people who have separated themselves from the lot are usually the younger ones. Look at Fashola, Akpabio, Chime, Amaechi, Donald Duke etc. These are the youngest governors when compared with their peers and they have proved beyond every reasonable doubt that they are equal to the task. Imagine having people like these in every state government house and every parastatals, Nigeria will definitely be better for it.

In conclusion, since the old cargos have refused to leave or die now, the only choice left for Nigerians is to wait till they die. Most humans don't cross 100 years. So, we have to wait till all of them are long them before Nigeria starts recording some meaningful development especially in the federal level. Change will definitely come but when is what we don't know. Wait on Nigeria.

This is a very weak line of thinking .. If industrialized nations in the world were like dis do you think you and others would die to travel to become citizens in these nations
Re: Nigeria Go Better With Time by Afam4eva(m): 8:31pm On May 31, 2013
c.fours:

If we don't want to repeat past mistakes, I would encourage Nigerian youth to be more civically engaged and be involved in whatever way they can rather than spending all their time dancing in clubs or jiving to p-square/wizkid, they should spend some of their youthful energy in cultivating themselves as leaders of their communities. if d local communities are strong, the country will be strong.
Most of those people you mentioned were military men and didn't have a clue on how to run a country. I'm talking about technocrats here.

You mentioned Fashola, Tinubu and Aregbesola. These people even though not so young are still young compared to the likes of IBB, OBJ etc. There's a steady progression and this lends credence to my statement that it's only a matter of time before we get there. Do think for example that Fashola will hand over to someone who's older than him or way older? I don't think so. They keep getting younger by the day and it's only a matter of time.
Re: Nigeria Go Better With Time by Afam4eva(m): 8:36pm On May 31, 2013
free2ryhme:

This is a very weak line of thinking .. If industrialized nations in the world were like dis do you think you and others would die to travel to become citizens in these nations
I'm not saying this is the right way to think but it seems like the choice we have now. Let's learn to be realistic as opposed to idealistic. I don't see Nigerians fighting the government anytime soon. If that's what you're waiting for then you may have to wait forever.

(1) (Reply)

Rivers Crisis: Presidency Blasts Four Northern Governors / Adeboye, Oyedepo, Olukoya, Others Converge To Heal Suntai / Book Launch: Transformation Agenda, Mission In Progress

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.