Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:41 PM

UNICAL Works Director Swept-Away By Flood - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / UNICAL Works Director Swept-Away By Flood (14915 Views)

Obiano Visits Houses Destroyed By Flood In The Rain (Photos) / Nkpor Express Way Anambra State About To Be Washed By Flood Pics / Jonathan’s Exit: Some Power Brokers Who’ll Be Swept Out Of Office (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UNICAL Works Director Swept-Away By Flood by feminineA: 5:53pm On May 30, 2013
Calabar rain is always terrible. Drainage problem
Re: UNICAL Works Director Swept-Away By Flood by a1solution: 6:03pm On May 30, 2013
Its a warning to other directors of works and commissioners of work.

1 Like

Re: UNICAL Works Director Swept-Away By Flood by Nobody: 6:06pm On May 30, 2013
From now on, any leader who contructs roads with open drainages should be hanged.
Re: UNICAL Works Director Swept-Away By Flood by uhuns: 6:09pm On May 30, 2013
part of what he controls decided to kill him.
the story is weary.
director of works. rip
Re: UNICAL Works Director Swept-Away By Flood by Nobody: 6:10pm On May 30, 2013
This is tragic.
Re: UNICAL Works Director Swept-Away By Flood by ignis: 6:10pm On May 30, 2013
Teenage Money: Space Booked.
Fool, is that all you can say?
Re: UNICAL Works Director Swept-Away By Flood by eyenCalabar(m): 6:31pm On May 30, 2013
Sad but true. IBB Way is one terrible place during heavy downpour but the man should've known this 'cos he's not a stranger. The road has been like that since I was born. The family members should just forget it because the big gutter there empties itself at the river, Calabar South. But then I can say my governor is one person that have really tried for drainage. It just the topography of the area that makes it the way it is. RIP sir!
Re: UNICAL Works Director Swept-Away By Flood by Orokita(m): 6:32pm On May 30, 2013
Point of correction!!! the man in question mr Friday akpan was NOT the director of works! He was the head of the carpentry unit in Works department!!! I'm a staff of works department! tongue
Re: UNICAL Works Director Swept-Away By Flood by matoyeh(m): 6:48pm On May 30, 2013
Babzilla:

EVEN IF YOU CLOSE IT SOME FOOLISH PEOPLE WILL OPEN IT
poverty has turned the whole citizon to shocked
Re: UNICAL Works Director Swept-Away By Flood by Leadn(m): 7:07pm On May 30, 2013
Damn! sad though...

buh whats the RIPs for?? He might be alive somewhere! No mention that he's dead...
Re: UNICAL Works Director Swept-Away By Flood by owobokiri(m): 7:07pm On May 30, 2013
Impatient Nigerian drivers.
Re: UNICAL Works Director Swept-Away By Flood by MrHim(m): 7:08pm On May 30, 2013
This is really sad news, being an ex malabite of Unical. The drainage constructions in Calabar town are quite wide, you have gutters as wide as 6 feet on an average,so if care is not taken, you can't tell where the gutter or side walk is. The town being a coastal one, it's necessary to build them like that, though it does little in stemming the flood if there is torrential downpour. As someone pointed out, there should be slabs covering it at all times to forestall such a mishap. In my sophomore year, i have seen an Honda civic hatchback being swept away in the canal, the torrent can be that strong. R.I.P to you sir. sad
Re: UNICAL Works Director Swept-Away By Flood by deloon(m): 7:17pm On May 30, 2013
That pic the OP posted can't be Calabar.
Re: UNICAL Works Director Swept-Away By Flood by ozodigboo(m): 7:18pm On May 30, 2013
Lilimax: Quite an unfortunate incidentcry cry.
Can't imagine the sight of watching your loved one being swept away by flood.
RIP sir.
Hmm. . . Lilimax, na wa for you o!
why did you say RIP ?
Nobody says he is dead plz.
He may still be in the water. God can do wonders.
Re: UNICAL Works Director Swept-Away By Flood by redsun(m): 7:20pm On May 30, 2013
This was quite unprecedented years back in the nigerian cities and towns.But with drastic climate change it seems to be frequent sights in nigeria these days.And like every other thing,nigeria is way unprepared for catastrophic weather occurrences.

You got to be prepared.
Re: UNICAL Works Director Swept-Away By Flood by begwong: 7:25pm On May 30, 2013
Aizebioje: Eya...
Director of works U said... Hmmm *thinking*
what are u insinuating buddy
If only the flood swept him off in the university premises.
Dont forget no b for state govt e b director.
Re: UNICAL Works Director Swept-Away By Flood by Nobody: 7:43pm On May 30, 2013
Sugardiva: This isn't a picture of calabar at all let alone IBB. And there hasn't been any seriously heavy rain on a monday in the past couple of weeks. No offence but this story needs verification.
I'm based in calabar and I can attest to the fact that there was a heavy downpour on monday night and the streets were actually flooded. I was stuck in the traffic situation too and this was due to the flooded roads, no one dared move his/her car cos it was really bad. Why he got down from his car despite the downpour is beyond me, i'm not saying I saw the incident live before my eyes. I was in a different route from his.
Re: UNICAL Works Director Swept-Away By Flood by Nobody: 7:45pm On May 30, 2013
Ranks007: The city that offends the Creator nature must go hard on them....stop that Satanic street party you call carnival...
Get a life!

2 Likes

Re: UNICAL Works Director Swept-Away By Flood by Raxxye(m): 7:56pm On May 30, 2013
Ranks007: The city that offends the Creator nature must go hard on them....stop that Satanic street party you call carnival...

Like the other guy said, u really do need to get a life!

2 Likes

Re: UNICAL Works Director Swept-Away By Flood by hardbody: 8:39pm On May 30, 2013

You are an akpa amu. Datz all

2 Likes

Re: UNICAL Works Director Swept-Away By Flood by tess22: 8:48pm On May 30, 2013
May God grant the family the strength to bear this tragedy. I can't imagine how traumatised the wife and kids must be, after watching him so helplessly! Sad, truly sad! I have lived in Calabar for most of my life, I schooled there in Unical and my family still stays there. I know very well how heavy the rains in that city can be, as well as the huge open gutters. Similar stories of people, even children, being swept away by the raging waters have been widely reported. I really wish there is something that can be done to prevent such tragedies.

R.I.P Sir.
Re: UNICAL Works Director Swept-Away By Flood by kinguwem: 8:53pm On May 30, 2013
Superstition & mental laziness are the greatest problems of a black man.
Re: UNICAL Works Director Swept-Away By Flood by jmaine: 8:55pm On May 30, 2013
deloon: That pic the OP posted can't be Calabar.

Correct . . . .
Re: UNICAL Works Director Swept-Away By Flood by binhozie(m): 9:32pm On May 30, 2013
Having lived in Calabar for a while I know how GIANT their gutters are...RIP to the dead
Re: UNICAL Works Director Swept-Away By Flood by ba7man(m): 9:34pm On May 30, 2013
The Stupidity of open drainage design. Why leave it open?? Is its contents supposed to be something beautiful to look at?? R.I.P to the deceased.
Re: UNICAL Works Director Swept-Away By Flood by Nicepoker(m): 9:43pm On May 30, 2013
madam_oringo: Na wah o! Na flood be this? Is there no functioning drainage system? Yes, a tsunami can overwhelm a drainage system but when a heavy rain does this, it is surely because the government has not been doing its job of maintaining existing draining systems, making sure they are cleared of dirt and even constructing bigger ones that can drain water away to the streams much faster!
the drainage are ok. But the rains in calabar is always something else.
Re: UNICAL Works Director Swept-Away By Flood by piero2u(m): 9:44pm On May 30, 2013
Hope he survives. op pls remove that pic. cus dats nt calabar.
Re: UNICAL Works Director Swept-Away By Flood by Nicepoker(m): 9:47pm On May 30, 2013
now i know ur brain is on vaccation. Ram. Wat has that got 2 do wit the crap u posted

1 Like

Re: UNICAL Works Director Swept-Away By Flood by elvis07: 10:20pm On May 30, 2013
Guy no one prays for such thing nd no one in his right senses will b making joke out of such thing. The brother of D̶̲̥̅̊ man in qquestion is my coleague in D̶̲̥̅̊ office, b4 dis news cameup here on nairaland, I ve already heared of it. So its true
Sugardiva: This isn't a picture of calabar at all let alone IBB. And there hasn't been any seriously heavy rain on a monday in the past couple of weeks. No offence but this story needs verification.
Re: UNICAL Works Director Swept-Away By Flood by viruz007(m): 10:38pm On May 30, 2013
CRS drainages are quite big, large and wide. So the man mistakenly stepping into it... Ironically a lil patience and the flood will have been gone. The floods never last more than an hour once the rains stop. Hope he's okay though cry
Re: UNICAL Works Director Swept-Away By Flood by trolling(m): 11:02pm On May 30, 2013
same with New Orleans with their ungodly mardi gra
Re: UNICAL Works Director Swept-Away By Flood by etebomugmailc(m): 11:37pm On May 30, 2013
Okiki_Oluwa: Sooo...sad! I pray for the well beign of the family.
so pathetic

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari Voted For Niger Republic Over Nigeria At OAU / Fresh Deployment In North-east: Police Lobby For Exemption / Court Nullifies Okorocha's Slash Of Payments Accrued To Imo Pensioners (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.