Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,195 members, 7,953,703 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 12:00 AM

Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? (21511 Views)

Why Is It Taking So Long For A Recruitment Firm To Hire After Interview? / Why Does Recruitment Process In Nigeria Take So Long? / Answering The Question,“ why Have You Been Unemployed For So Long?” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Revolva(m): 11:44am On May 31, 2013
Look i dont see any reason why in Nigeria..one have to get BSC..to get a job...thats is if the job is available..cant they provide..trainee institute for botch folks with waec..result.. and Ond...i mean like in the manufacturing industries.. and telecoms..so that it would..be able to give youth a sense of entrepreneurship when they finish the trainee programmes.. and can do things for them selves not sitting in a university and after that stil waste time in the useless NYSC scheme...only to come out confused....hungry and fraustrated
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Nobody: 11:44am On May 31, 2013
ozodigboo: The reason for staying unemployed, is that some people who have parents still caring for them, tend to relax without actually searching. Everyone wants to work in a bank,Shell BP, NNPC, etc
I am a medical doctor in a govt. hospital, and while the pay is not much, i derive joy in seeing ill people come to the hospital, and go home smiling.
Those smiles are worth more than any salary.

Thats a very good one.
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by AMossley(m): 11:50am On May 31, 2013
Wonderful comments so far but I want to add this from my own point of view,I will still blame the corruption in our government which involves bribery,nepotism,job racketeering and so on.From my encounter with many nigerian graduates,I discovered that 80 out of 100 are intellectuals,goal setters and prospective entrepreneurs but what they need which is lacking include enabling environment,funds and other opportunities.There are graduates whose passion is in academics regardless of the pay and after opting for their masters degree couldn't get the starting opportunities they need.
Let me stop here,may God help.
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by leonshom(m): 11:55am On May 31, 2013
Yomieluv: so many factors contributes to unemployment.
1.level of education.
2.lack of basic infrastructure facilities to promote self employment.
3.wrong course studied in the university.
4.laziness.
5.inadequate industry.
6.overpopulation.
7.lack of capital to start own business.
8.witch or family curse.
9.desire to travel out.
10.pursuing shadow ambition.

so op, pick your choice.
I don't think there's anytin lyk wrong course, dependin on our u can utilize ur course of study !
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Orikinla(m): 11:55am On May 31, 2013
Those who stay unemployed for so long are not normal people, because normal people are always employed, either by other employers or by themselves.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by everyday: 12:00pm On May 31, 2013
Welcome to Nigeria
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Nobody: 12:02pm On May 31, 2013
dulphines: Those who are suppose to create the enabling environment for wealth creation or employment opportunities are our brothers - The blackman.
The Blackman finds fulfilment when he is wealthy and his brothers or friends are poor.
The Blackman wants to be lord of all.
The Blackman will not want to create jobs for you and I to be gainfully employed. He believes we will no longer respect him when we are independent.
The Blackman wants to be addressed as Sir, Oga, his excellency, chief, obong,MON, CON, and all the craps you find around you.
The Blackman is a witch by nature and that is why people do not have jobs.

^^^ conspiracy theory? grin
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Richy4(m): 12:06pm On May 31, 2013
Who told you they are at home doing nothing. you said you met them at the salon, how did they pay for the hair do? please do not tell me it was the NYSC allowance of 11 and 8 years ago cool
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by sunjetg: 12:10pm On May 31, 2013
Nosyke:

I can relate with the bolded as it aptly describes me. When I finished NYSC, I got a research assistant job for 2 weeks. The pay wasnt much, but i did it, just after then I joined the firm for free, was just there not being paid but i was learning. When the data entry came out, I participated. Then after that nothing because there werent any contracts for the firm. Later On I was placed on 25k salary, fast forward 5 months later, they got a long term contract with an International NGO, I was taken in to work on a contract basis, with 50k salary.While at this job,I put in all my best that even consultants we worked for were very impressed. I also travelled well across the country on tours (all expense paid)
1 year later, it was increased to 59k. I only earned this salary for 2 months before an opening came up in the international NGO, I applied.During my interview, I showed them pratical examples of what I have done for the over 3 years I finished serving. Summary, I got the job with the International NGO (great salary, working environment and prospects too)

Moral of my short story, once you finish school, start doing something, no matter how small, get an experience because it pays in the long run.

Nosyke,I cant agree more with the moral of your story. You have equally summarized my own story as well the stories of so many people who believe in themselves and who really have goals to accomplish and would always keep their eyes on the ball till its over.

From the comments of people here, you would easily make an inference on what drives them. Some have wholly blamed their unemployment on government and some site some laughable reasons for not getting a job. To such people, I say, remain unemployed and keep blaming people. Time flies and there's nothing we can do about that. Keep deceiving yourself and keep failing to look inwards to realise that your destiny lies more in God's hands and your own hands as well.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by mruwaifo(m): 12:16pm On May 31, 2013
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by 1forall: 12:16pm On May 31, 2013
AjanleKoko: There is a serious skills gap in Nigeria. Zero development of actual technical skills, nowadays classified as 'blue-collar' work. Also oversupply of white-collar aspirants, usually referred to as 'graduates'. No real skills, just looking for work.

For the youth in Nigeria, there is only one solution: take your future serious, and work hard at developing real skills that can put money in your pockets.

You got me unsure whether you're referring to manual technical (e.g carpentry, welding) or practical intellectual (e.g project planning, data analysis) skills. Can you please give examples of what these actual skills are in the Nigerian gap that you mention?

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Nosyke(m): 12:21pm On May 31, 2013
sunjetg:

Nosyke,I cant agree more with the moral of your story. You have equally summarized my own story as well the stories of so many people who believe in themselves and who really have goals to accomplish and would always keep their eyes on the ball till its over.

From the comments of people here, you would easily make an inference on what drives them. Some have wholly blamed their unemployment on government and some site some laughable reasons for not getting a job. To such people, I say, remain unemployed and keep blaming people. Time flies and there's nothing we can do about that. Keep deceiving yourself and keep failing to look inwards to realise that your destiny lies more in God's hands and your own hands as well.

Spot on. Case closed
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by trolling(m): 12:23pm On May 31, 2013
oluwasola01: People always think their college degree entitles them to a job/pay check. which is not so. it doesn't even entitles one to VIP service. It entitles you to nothing other than the realization that you've been duped by a trillion dollar industry that survives by keeping you shackled to an age-old ideal that no longer works in the modern age.
Absolutely right and thats what the institution is doing, millions of graduates are in debt because of this highly desired prestige... I just can't imagine spending millions on my children when I can set up a business for them to run.. Absolute waste of money.. Misplaced priorities I must say
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Jarus(m): 12:31pm On May 31, 2013
The factors are both external and internal.

External: Economy, many people chasing few jobs
Internal: Some people are frankly not employable (by teh standard of work they want). No disrespect.
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by bejeria101(m): 12:33pm On May 31, 2013
Fhimi-nana:
I belief there are jobs out there but the problem is do those seeking for jobs have the required skills and knowledge? On the other hand, graduate should be willing to work even for small pay with the sole aim of acquiring experience.
The eduction system does not prepare graduates to be self reliant as well while some graduates are not just employable... Take it or leave it. I had to terminate one's appointment 'cos cldnt cope.
finally somebody that has hit it on point,do these graduates possess the skills,they tend to look down on u cos they went to a university is that d end of life? Guess what i have a job you dönt lol
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Mobsync(m): 1:18pm On May 31, 2013
It's because they're unemployable. All they have are certificates, nothing else. B.Sc this, M.Sc that, Ph.D those. Nothing else. Computer science graduate that can't program, elect engineering graduate that can't change common electric bulb etc.
Degree ain't everything. Get a skill.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by CosmoFab: 1:21pm On May 31, 2013
ebenezer4o2: Not everybody want τ̲̅ȍ be under a pay master like Abati α̲̅nϑ Reuben.Being under a pay master,you are duty bound τ̲̅ȍ follow his instructions whether you like ΐτ̅ or not.Moreover,majority who are not employ lack †ђξ capital τ̲̅ȍ start a business Ø̶̷̩̥̊͡Ƒ̶̷̩̥̊͡ their choice,‎​Ϟo wonder prostitution has become a legal α̲̅nϑ recognised business which needs ‎​Ϟo initial capital.

Well, whether you want to be under a pay master or not, you need to do something for so many reasons.
1. If you want to start you own business, you need start up funds and you will not get this by sitting at home an being jobless (by the way, the would not be called jobless if they had their own business).
2. To get a great job, you need experience. Degrees with no experience are useless. And the more gap on your CV with no activities, the more difficult it gets to get a job. Except you have some special connections.
3. Even if you want to start your own business, working with small pay will give you the opportunity to learn how the real corporate/business world works before you go solo.

Also, when it comes to business, a lot of people want to start making millions the minute they start up. There is no dedication, commitment or passion in what they do. When the fail to see immediate results, they quit and complain.

And by the way, it is only a very lazy person that lack creativity and proper education that will graduate and remain jobless for that long. If you are creative and smart, you'll either get a job or start up something yourself and nourish it from strength to strength.
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by stylesco: 1:45pm On May 31, 2013
Richy.:
Who told you they are at home doing nothing. you said you met them at the salon, how did they pay for the hair do? please do not tell me it was the NYSC allowance of 11 and 8 years ago cool

One of the ladies is married.
I guess the other lives with her family.
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by destino24(m): 1:52pm On May 31, 2013
ozodigboo: The reason for staying unemployed, is that some people who have parents still caring for them, tend to relax without actually searching. Everyone wants to work in a bank,Shell BP, NNPC, etc
I am a medical doctor in a govt. hospital, and while the pay is not much, i derive joy in seeing ill people come to the hospital, and go home smiling.

is it just me, or does that sound odd...you derive joy in seeing i'll people coming to the hospital...#JUSTSAYING
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by happynwa(f): 2:00pm On May 31, 2013
My elder sis first Job she was paid 30k. That was about 4yrs ago and since then, she has changed jobs 4 times. I can't tell you how much has grown both professionally and otherwise.
She earns more than 10 times of what she started with and she's a very big asset to her company(even though private).

Please I'll still like to hear from you:
Is it right to stay at home just because of small pay?

And most importantly how is it that someone can stay for above 2yrs without any job at all?.[/quote]

Some people are just selfish and proud. dat y dey languish at home doin nothing. AS u rightly said it was same with me. Mi first job as a gruaduate was peanut nd I worked with mi blood, pple laughed at me den but I was targeting something unknown to dem. Fortunately for me I landed a big job through dat same one dat paid me nothing. And today I have every reasons to say God thank you for making me put proud aside.
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by ow11(m): 2:05pm On May 31, 2013
Well if they have a free house, free food, free 'begged allowance' and clothes;where on earth would the incentive to take a lowly paid job come from?

destino24:

is it just me, or does that sound odd...you derive joy in seeing i'll people coming to the hospital...#JUSTSAYING

Actually, it is just you. You clearly read his post and failed at comprehending it. . Prove to us you are not one of them being discussed on here!

Richy.:

As people without shame, they have been begging relatives and friends for money for 8 years. That's how lazy graduates get paid in Nigeria.
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by chukkynwob(m): 2:05pm On May 31, 2013
Lilimax: Very correct. Start off with something no matter how small and acquire the necessary experience on the job. When next you are being interviewed, it will no longer be as a fresh graduate without experience and this will surely make a difference in your pay when employed. smiley smiley

Sometimes when I see comments like this I laugh,do you know how hard I've tried to get a non-paid engineering internship since finishing NYSC in 2012? The fact is our economy is horrible and Nigerian employers are taking advantage of the situation.
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by collynzo2(m): 2:07pm On May 31, 2013
destino24:

..............and going home smiling, did you miss that part?

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by chukkynwob(m): 2:07pm On May 31, 2013
happynwa: My elder sis first Job she was paid 30k. That was about 4yrs ago and since then, she has changed jobs 4 times. I can't tell you how much has grown both professionally and otherwise.
She earns more than 10 times of what she started with and she's a very big asset to her company(even though private).

Please I'll still like to hear from you:
Is it right to stay at home just because of small pay?

And most importantly how is it that someone can stay for above 2yrs without any job at all?.

Some people are just selfish and proud. dat y dey languish at home doin nothing. AS u rightly said it was same with me. Mi first job as a gruaduate was peanut nd I worked with mi blood, pple laughed at me den but I was targeting something unknown to dem. Fortunately for me I landed a big job through dat same one dat paid me nothing. And today I have every reasons to say God thank you for making me put proud aside.

That 30k job is elusive for some people.
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by collynzo2(m): 2:13pm On May 31, 2013
chukkynwob:

Sometimes when I see comments like this I laugh,do you know how hard I've tried to get a non-paid engineering internship since finishing NYSC in 2012? The fact is our economy is horrible and Nigerian employers are taking advantage of the situation.
lol it's no easy o, competition everywhere even for non-paid jobs. Everything still boils down to our population, I actually believe it's a lot higher than the figures given. The last census was conducted when I was in SS3, no single classmate of mine was counted and we were all living in PH city, is it those living in hinterlands that would be counted?
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by Nobody: 2:14pm On May 31, 2013

Thats cute of u, but not for me. I need the dough too abeg
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by destino24(m): 2:17pm On May 31, 2013
ow11: Well if they have a free house, free food, free 'begged allowance' and clothes;where on earth would the incentive to take a lowly paid job come from?

Actually, it is just you. You clearly read his post and failed at comprehending it. . Prove to us you are not one of them being discussed on here!

dude, relax.....i was just saying...
if it helps matters, i'm still an undergraduate
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by yuzedo: 2:23pm On May 31, 2013
If I was to answer as succinctly and pin-pointedly as possible, I'd simply say "Demand and Supply".. That all-encompassing concept covers the question in any and every possible form.
Re: Why Do People Stay Unemployed For So Long??? by anitank(f): 2:26pm On May 31, 2013
Thank God for this thread.

U see I was actually thinking of resigning from my job, not just becos the pay is very small, but also because the organisation has no regard for their staff. They do anything they like and expect everybody to fit it without complaining.

We often have these fantasies about getting a good paying job after NYSC, getting an apartment and then a car, and we expect everything to be happening immediately.... But truth is, its doesn't always come that easy.

Start up small, be patient and hopeful. Also apply for jobs and pray that God make things better. Its only a phase and will definitely pass someday smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Apply For Cornerstone Staffing Massive Job Recruitment (over 300 Positions) / Latest Graduate Job At Etisalat Nigeria / 9 Proven Ways To Increase Your Chance For A Job Interview (with Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.