Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,011 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:06 AM

Hillary Clinton For US Presidency In 2016? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Hillary Clinton For US Presidency In 2016? (713 Views)

Hillary Clinton Given £80 Parking Fine In London / Hillary Clinton Caught Dancing & Drinking At Cuban Bar In Colombia / Hillary Clinton For President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hillary Clinton For US Presidency In 2016? by Nobody: 10:31pm On May 30, 2013
Former U.S. First lady, Senator and Secretary of State, Hillary Rodham Clinton has been in the news for quite some time now. Apart from the Congressional hearings on the White House's handling of "Benghazi-gate", Mrs Clinton is also being touted to run for the office of President of the United States in 2016 election cycle.

It would be recalled that Clinton ran in the 2008 race, but was defeated by then Junior U.S. senator from Illinois-Barack Obama in the Democratic Party Primaries. However, she had garnered about 17.8 million votes, and understandably had more female votes than her opponents in the primaries of that year. However, President Obama won more states (29) to her 21 states. Furthermore, Mrs Clinton raised over $100 million for her 2008 campaign, setting a belated record for a female U.S. Presidential candidate.

Nonetheless, in the aftermath of the 2012 elections; political pundits in the Democratic Party and the U.S. mainstream media at large, are angling for Hillary to run in 2016. According to recent opinion polls, taken from December last year till May this year, Mrs Clinton's favourable ratings have consistently been over 50%. Her highest ever rating came in January 2013, when an ABC poll showed that she had a favourability rating of 67%, with 26% of respondents holding an unfavourable view of her, and 6% being undecided. On the flip side, her lowest rating was 50% in a YouGov/Economist poll taken between May 25-27.

It seems that Hillary will be a "stone-wall" front-runner for the 2016 race, if she decides to contest. If she decides to contest the Democratic Primaries and wins, she would become the first female nominee of either of the 2 major U.S. Parties. This may lead to sentiments amongst the American electorate on whether it's time to elect a first ever woman President. Judging from recent trends in the female, Latino, Black, and youth voting patterns; Mrs Clinton would win the the hypothetical general election against her Republican and 3rd Party opponents. This is because President Obama garnered about 55% of the women vote, 70% of the Latino vote, 93% of the Black vote and 67% of the youth vote. The youth vote consists of voters between the ages of 18-29.

However, it may not be so smooth-sailing for her. If the U.S. economy enters into a deep recession (under Obama's presidency), or a major foreign policy crisis erupts; there could be an opening for the Republican nominee. In addition, the Benghazi-gate will surely be used in countless political ads by the Republicans to tarnish her image as a national security/foreign policy juggernaut. Also, if Florida Senator, Marco Rubio throws his hat into the ring and becomes the Republican nominee; the Latino vote may likely be evenly split in 2016. The independent vote will likely still be up for grabs too, as Republican nominee-Mitt Romney garnered 50% of the independent votes, against Obama's 45%. If the Republican nominee can lay out centrist domestic policies devoid of ad hominem attacks on women's reproductive rights, social welfare and general economic policy; perhaps, the 2016 race may not be a walk over for Hillary and the Democrats, amongst the the independents and the general U.S. voting population.
Re: Hillary Clinton For US Presidency In 2016? by Nobody: 10:35pm On May 30, 2013
I would vote for her.
What about u cfc? do you think she has what it takes?
Re: Hillary Clinton For US Presidency In 2016? by Nobody: 11:08pm On May 30, 2013
I think she has what it takes to be an effective President. She has both legislative and executive experience, albeit as a cabinet secretary.
But I feel her age may also be used against her-she'll be in her late 60's by 2016.

1 Like

Re: Hillary Clinton For US Presidency In 2016? by HARDDON: 11:16pm On May 30, 2013
as much as I would love to see a female rule ...
as much as I would love to root for her

I simply can't.

why?

let the younger generation have a taste of what it feels like to be up there too. and contribute their quota to national dev.
Recycled souls getting boring. what else does she have to offer? what else does she want?

this is exactly how Nigerian leaders cling to power like it is their sole right! just imagine Buhari still trying to root for the presidency. a man who ruled even before most of us up here were born. yet they keep telling us lies that we are the future of the Nation. WHEN WOULD OUR TIME EVA COME?

she has seen it all and like Eva would say "DONE DID IT"

let her go grow some crops in a remote village and do a lot of community works.

Regards

1 Like

Re: Hillary Clinton For US Presidency In 2016? by Nobody: 11:22pm On May 30, 2013
^^
You have a point concerning her age. A much younger Marco Rubio (if he is d Repub nominee) could make an issue out of the 'recycling' thing.

2 Likes

Re: Hillary Clinton For US Presidency In 2016? by Nobody: 12:39am On May 31, 2013
You both have said it all.
I think she is a woman who can pull it off. She definitely has had the experience and shows that she can function under intense scrutiny and pressure...however, age is an important factor to look at. After all was it not the reason mccain lost his shot for prez?

Also the issue of recycling comes to play because many ppl dont want to feel as though we are ruled by a two family monarchy (Bush and clintons). No doubt Jeb bush will give it a shot if not some other bloke member of their gang family. This "double-rule phobia" is the main reason Hilary lost aside from playing the sex and race cards. tongue

But i still think, if given the chance, she can and will shine.
Re: Hillary Clinton For US Presidency In 2016? by UyiIredia(m): 1:01am On May 31, 2013
*Kails*:
I think she is a woman who can pull it off. She definitely has had the experience and shows that she can function under intense scrutiny and pressure...however, age is an important factor to look at. After all was it not the reason mccain lost his shot for prez?

Also the issue of recycling comes to play because many ppl dont want to feel as though we are ruled by a two family monarchy (Bush and clintons). No doubt Jeb bush will give it a shot if not some other bloke member of their gang family. This "double-rule phobia" is the main reason Hilary lost aside from playing the sex and race cards. tongue

In fact, were it not for Obama's candidacy the White House would have had its first female president.
Re: Hillary Clinton For US Presidency In 2016? by HARDDON: 2:07am On May 31, 2013
*Kails*:

do you see her getting that chance though?

as for me, im all out for youth, vibrancy and dynamism.

age has a way of making the heart docile. with all the terror and threats posed by terrorist groups, you cant afford to dull up

and i'v had it with that family name.

1 Like

Re: Hillary Clinton For US Presidency In 2016? by Handsomeemmy(m): 1:52pm On Jun 01, 2013
Age is not by her side again, beside i see john kerry or the former white house spokeman Raph Emmanuel as the candidate for the democrat.
Re: Hillary Clinton For US Presidency In 2016? by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jun 01, 2013
Noooooooooo! Tho she may only be slightly better than Obama
Re: Hillary Clinton For US Presidency In 2016? by Nobody: 5:04pm On Jun 01, 2013
SniperInADiaper: Noooooooooo! Tho she may only be slightly better than Obama

But never underrate the Clinton political machine , it's still very potent.

(1) (Reply)

20 Things You Don't Know About The Syria's Rebels.... / Iran Sends Christmass Message To Christians!!! / Nigeria's 'nollywood' Movie Industry Rolls At High Gear

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.