Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,162 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:35 AM

I am an Atheist ask me any questions. - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I am an Atheist ask me any questions. (3780 Views)

I'm A “MORMON" Ask Me Any Questions Let Me Clear You Doubt!! / I Am An Atheist Ask Me Any Anything Part 2 / How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I am an Atheist ask me any questions. by Emusan(m): 4:26pm On Jun 01, 2013
musKeeto:

What's faith?

Ask google!
Re: I am an Atheist ask me any questions. by Nobody: 4:44pm On Jun 01, 2013
Emusan:

Ask google!

Bible definition: Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Google:
Noun
Complete trust or confidence in someone or something.
Strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.

Merriam-Webster:
a : allegiance to duty or a person : loyalty
b (1) : fidelity to one's promises (2) : sincerity of intentions
a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion
b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust
: something that is believed especially with strong conviction; especially : a system of religious beliefs <the Protestant faith>

So which of these definitions would you pick to describe a belief in the 'non-existence' of an entity?
Re: I am an Atheist ask me any questions. by Nobody: 4:46pm On Jun 01, 2013
musKeeto:

Bible definition: Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Google:
Noun
Strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.

Merriam-Webster:
a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion
[size=15pt]b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust[/size]
: something that is believed especially with strong conviction; especially : a system of religious beliefs <the Protestant faith>

So which of these definitions would you pick to describe a belief in the 'non-existence' of an entity?
Re: I am an Atheist ask me any questions. by Nobody: 4:49pm On Jun 01, 2013
Good.

So what proof would you require for something that's non-existent?
Re: I am an Atheist ask me any questions. by Nobody: 4:52pm On Jun 01, 2013
musKeeto: Good.

So what proof would you require for something that's non-existent?

How do you know it is non-existent?
Re: I am an Atheist ask me any questions. by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jun 01, 2013
striktlymi:

How do you know it is non-existent?

Re: I am an Atheist ask me any questions. by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jun 01, 2013
musKeeto:

How do you know that it is non-existent?

How you know say hin no exist?
Re: I am an Atheist ask me any questions. by Nobody: 5:19pm On Jun 01, 2013
striktlymi:

How do you know that it is non-existent?

How you know say hin no exist?

How does a virgin know she doesn't have a kid?
Re: I am an Atheist ask me any questions. by peterphd(m): 5:38pm On Jun 01, 2013
How can peeps still be saying one needs faith in order to say that something is nonexistent? Smh
Re: I am an Atheist ask me any questions. by Nobody: 5:38pm On Jun 01, 2013
musKeeto:

How does a virgin know she doesn't have a kid?

For someone who doesn't like people dodging, you are doing a pretty good job at it...
Re: I am an Atheist ask me any questions. by Nobody: 5:40pm On Jun 01, 2013
peterphd: How can peeps still be saying one needs faith in order to say that something is nonexistent? Smh

Since you do not require faith...so tell us how you know that God is non-existent.
Re: I am an Atheist ask me any questions. by peterphd(m): 5:53pm On Jun 01, 2013
striktlymi:

Since you do not require faith...so tell us how you know that God is non-existent.

Its simple.There's no conclusive evidence.There are over a million gods out there. Christians are atheists to all of them atheists just go one step further.how do you know that the others are "man-made gods" and the Jewish mythology god is the real one?
Re: I am an Atheist ask me any questions. by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jun 01, 2013
striktlymi:

For someone who doesn't like people dodging, you are doing a pretty good job at it...

Learnt from the best.

Started from the bottom, no we're here things...
Re: I am an Atheist ask me any questions. by Nobody: 6:21pm On Jun 01, 2013
peterphd:

Its simple.There's no conclusive evidence.

Lack of scientific evidence does not disprove the existence of something or anything...

Consider a situation where a young lady goes missing and some persons speculate that this lady might have been killed because she has been missing for over 20 years and all efforts to get the police to locate her prove abortive...

Do we now draw the conclusion that she is alive or dead because we have insufficient evidence to prove our case? Without a body there is no way we can tell if this lady is alive or dead...

I don't know if you understand where I am heading with the above but the bottom line here is that inconclusive evidence is not enough to disprove the existence of anything.

peterphd:
There are over a million gods out there. Christians are atheists to all of them atheists just go one step further.how do you know that the others are "man-made gods" and the Jewish mythology god is the real one?

Christians are not Atheists to other gods...Christians believe in the existence of other deities apart from the God we choose to serve...we do not deny this fact. Atheists on the other hand deny the existence of any deity.

I am cool when an Atheist tells me that he refuse to believe my claim of a God but I find it a bitter pill to swallow when the Atheist in denying my claim makes a claim of his own in the process.

If I say there is God (a claim) and an Atheist says there is no God (a counter claim) then that Atheist must prove his claim o, since he wants me to prove mine.
Re: I am an Atheist ask me any questions. by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jun 01, 2013
musKeeto:

Learnt from the best.

Started from the bottom, no we're here things...

Nah...the question you put forth is quite easy to answer, I just chose to dance with you a bit tongue
Re: I am an Atheist ask me any questions. by peterphd(m): 6:30pm On Jun 01, 2013
striktlymi:

Lack of scientific evidence does not disprove the existence of something or anything...

Consider a situation where a young lady goes missing and some persons speculate that this lady might have been killed because she has been missing for over 20 years and all efforts to get the police to locate her prove abortive...

Do we now draw the conclusion that she is alive or dead because we have insufficient evidence to prove our case? Without a body there is no way we can tell if this lady is alive or dead...

I don't know if you understand where I am heading with the above but the bottom line here is that inconclusive evidence is not enough to disprove the existence of anything.

Christians are not Atheists to other gods...Christians believe in the existence of other deities apart from the God we choose to serve...we do not deny this fact. Atheists on the other hand deny the existence of any deity.

I am cool when an Atheist tells me that he refuse to believe my claim of a God but I find it a bitter pill to swallow when the Atheist in denying my claim makes a claim of his own in the process.

If I say there is God (a claim) and an Atheist says there is no God (a counter claim) then that Atheist must prove his claim o, since he wants me to prove mine.
You must realise that the atheist's claim stems from the fact that the xtian fails to provide evidence for his god apart from faith.You don't need proof to disprove something.its like a question with options a and b if the answer isn't "a" then its definitely "b" and if lack of evidence doesn't prove the non-existentence of sth then can can we actually say the gods have gone missing since science came?? (only using your dead body analogy)
Re: I am an Atheist ask me any questions. by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jun 01, 2013
plendil:

The irony of it. and you said you left Christianity because. . . undecided

Irony, lol, christianity is a sham.
Re: I am an Atheist ask me any questions. by Nobody: 6:38pm On Jun 01, 2013
hisblud: ok so briefly state YOUR atheistic world view then!
View on what?
Re: I am an Atheist ask me any questions. by Nobody: 6:44pm On Jun 01, 2013
whatofyou: If you do not believe in evolution just like few atheists, what do you then really believe in?
To topic, I have severally searched for the tribe in the world that was bereft of an idea or worship of god before they got 'enlightened'. We did not learn that one, it is innate. That is, Asia might have brought us God and Jesus or God and Mohammed, but every continent had their gods, including several superstitions.
The God the bible teaches is a God of love. From the account in Eden of Genesis God blessed man with freewill. This freewill was put to test when our first parents decided to heed satan's advice. It was replicated again by Isreal of old when they made Saul king, rejecting God's leadership. The "let Thy kingdom come" part of The Lord's prayer is simply telling us that man cannot do anything positively lasting without God's intervention. If God is now neutral in (some) of the happenings of the world, that does not mean He will be neutral forever. When the appointed time comes, He will intervene. Then, man will see no reason not to be loyal to His leadership. Ever since man got the leadership baton in his hands, to the day he will 'guil:tifully' return it to the owner, he has been falling from one peril to another.
Our brain is the greatest gift God gave to mankind. Just like other earthly gifts, some underuse, overuse, use it correctly, or use it wrongly, even to the extent of insulting the giver of the gift. It is a pity that not everyone (even me) may be saved. In our world the only thing constant is CHANGE: People have gone from being christians, muslims, pagans to being atheists, and vice-versa. Myself?, I do not belong to any church presently, I am a stay-at-home christian.
There is no believing in evolution, it is a fact, there is just so much evidence it's overwhelming. And all your free will argument is rather weak, if there is a god of the bible, there is no free will but rather an illusion of free will because god already knows all our plan. The christian god is clearly a man made invention, a racist, xenophobic, homophobic, misogynist, psychopath, angry, jealous diety. Yea you might say it is innate, but back in the days when human didnt know anything about their world, God sounded like a good idea, and things like sickness were viewed as devil's work

1 Like

Re: I am an Atheist ask me any questions. by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jun 01, 2013
Prosper793: I was anticipating an ingeniously sophisticated philosopher,who happens to be an atheist;only to come meeting our OP who hasnt become well grounded on the realities of life. He even went further to stand to answer questions on religion philosophy.

Op,your points are flimsy,no offence.

None, taken, but it still stands, is there a good evidence for an existence of God.
Re: I am an Atheist ask me any questions. by Prosper793: 6:51pm On Jun 01, 2013
striktlymi:

Since you're cool with the belief of an atheist,and would like him/her to back his claim up with factual proofs. I think a possible atheist would also demand that you present eal proofs to validate your own claim.
Re: I am an Atheist ask me any questions. by Prosper793: 6:56pm On Jun 01, 2013
fifa456n:

None, taken, but it still stands, is there a good evidence for an existence of God.

Trust me bro,your mum was evidently right when she told you that God is mysterious. The theists and atheists are rather speculating fictitiously.
Re: I am an Atheist ask me any questions. by UyiIredia(m): 7:08pm On Jun 01, 2013
fifa456n:

First of all not all of atheists acknowledge evolution as it is, i am not too keen on evolution, but there is overwhemling evidence that we evolved from a common ancestor, missing link i dont know much about evolution yet, and btw just because something is yet to be known is not a reason for a supernatural "God of the gaps", in the future it is possible that such information can be fully revealed and understood by humans.

I think this further goes to show that if a person is an atheist, he/she is more likely to believe in evolution. Indeed a 'god-of-the-gaps' argument is unacceptable. That said it seems you just believw in evolution at face valur. You admit you don't know much about it and aren't to keen on it yet believe there is massive evidence for it. Consider that there is a limit to the variations that occur in a species (e.g bear doesn't grow flippers), keep in mind that the mutations that are supposednto genwrate new adaptive traits are random copying errors (accidents don't create things, they destroy already extant things). Nuff said on evolution.

Finally, 2 questions: What convinced you to drop the idea of a Christian God ? What's your take on God generally understood in various religions and by deists as the Creator of the universe ?
Re: I am an Atheist ask me any questions. by Emusan(m): 7:13pm On Jun 01, 2013
musKeeto:

Google:
Noun

Merriam-Webster:
b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust

I will choose '2b' because it applies for both christian and atheist.
Re: I am an Atheist ask me any questions. by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jun 01, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

I think this further goes to show that if a person is an atheist, he/she is more likely to believe in evolution. Indeed a 'god-of-the-gaps' argument is unacceptable. That said it seems you just believw in evolution at face valur. You admit you don't know much about it and aren't to keen on it yet believe there is massive evidence for it. Consider that there is a limit to the variations that occur in a species (e.g bear doesn't grow flippers), keep in mind that the mutations that are supposednto genwrate new adaptive traits are random copying errors (accidents don't create things, they destroy already extant things). Nuff said on evolution.

Finally, 2 questions: What convinced you to drop the idea of a Christian God ? What's your take on God generally understood in various religions and by deists as the Creator of the universe ?
The christian God is definitely is really crazy, read old testament especially. In other religions their understanding of God or gods vary. I admitted that i dont much, meaning like i dont know it at an advanced level yet and when i said not to keen i was rather saying the same thing i just said meaning i dont have an advanced level yet, still learning.
Re: I am an Atheist ask me any questions. by UyiIredia(m): 7:24pm On Jun 01, 2013
striktlymi:

Atheists make a negative statement: there is no God. This is necessarily assumed proven until proven by argument or instance (an object or event) to be true. Negatives are assumed proven till they are refuted. Example: I say there are no black swans, this is assumed to be true until an actual black swan is brought (or positive argument for a black swan is made). The burden of proof rests more on the theist positing an entity withe certain attributes. Positive statements such as (there is a ball on the desk) are to be verified by actual instances. Nuff said.
What I find disingenious on atheist's part is IMPLYING they don't have a case to make and theirs is not a belief system (they call atheism a lack of belief in God). Atheists have to maintain the validity of their negative statement (there is no God) by refuting arguments for GOd by theists and deists and pantheists. It becomes obvious they do have a case to make, as for belief systems well there have been enough atheists books written which give a fair representation of the views of an average atheist.

1 Like

Re: I am an Atheist ask me any questions. by UyiIredia(m): 7:25pm On Jun 01, 2013
striktlymi:

Atheists make a negative statement: there is no God. This is necessarily assumed proven until proven by argument or instance (an object or event) to be true. Negatives are assumed proven till they are refuted. Example: I say there are no black swans, this is assumed to be true until an actual black swan is brought (or positive argument for a black swan is made). The burden of proof rests more on the theist positing an entity withe certain attributes. Positive statements such as (there is a ball on the desk) are to be verified by actual instances. Nuff said.
What I find disingenious on atheist's part is IMPLYING they don't have a case to make and theirs is not a belief system (they call atheism a lack of belief in God). Atheists have to maintain the validity of their negative statement (there is no God) by refuting arguments for GOd by theists and deists and pantheists. It becomes obvious they do have a case to make, as for belief systems well there have been enough atheists books written which give a fair representation of the views of an average atheist.
Re: I am an Atheist ask me any questions. by UyiIredia(m): 7:32pm On Jun 01, 2013
I hope you understood the points I made, the errors were unintentional *Damn BB*

fifa456n:
The christian God is definitely is really crazy, read old testament especially. In other religions their understanding of God or gods vary. I admitted that i dont much, meaning like i dont know it at an advanced level yet and when i said not to keen i was rather saying the same thing i just said meaning i dont have an advanced level yet, still learning.

I'm not satisfied with your answer. I think you should present it more properly. Also note the other question. There'll be more after you answer these 2 satisfactorily.

Question 1: What convinced you to drop the idea of the Christian God ? (You would have a reason no)

Question 2: What is your take on the idea of God (by various theists and deists) generally understood to be the Creator of the universe ?
Re: I am an Atheist ask me any questions. by Emusan(m): 7:37pm On Jun 01, 2013
fifa456n:

All what you're saying is just personal view of facts.
I ask you again, what is the best evidence for atheist to claim there's no God.

Christian says if you want to know maybe God exist or not join him/her with faith to receive the Holy Ghost but it's difficult for to do, now give me the evidence I will join you to verify the non-existing of God.
Re: I am an Atheist ask me any questions. by Nobody: 7:42pm On Jun 01, 2013
The Christian God is a diety of primarily of Hebrews, just like the Olodumare of Yoruba. The lack of concrete evidence for a God made me lose a belief in a God.
Re: I am an Atheist ask me any questions. by Nobody: 7:44pm On Jun 01, 2013
Emusan:

All what you're saying is just personal view of facts.
I ask you again, what is the best evidence for atheist to claim there's no God.

Christian says if you want to know maybe God exist or not join him/her with faith to receive the Holy Ghost but it's difficult for to do, now give me the evidence I will join you to verify the non-existing of God.

Theists make the claim they must provide evidence, the burden of proof fall on them, if a man claimed an alien creature exists, he must provide proof, it would be illogical for him to tell people who lack a belief in the creature to provide proof for the non existence of his claim.
Re: I am an Atheist ask me any questions. by Nobody: 7:47pm On Jun 01, 2013
Uyi Iredia: I hope you understood the points I made, the errors were unintentional *Damn BB*

Question 2: What is your take on the idea of God (by various theists and deists) generally understood to be the Creator of the universe ?
I am neutral, i see the reason for humans to claim a God must have created the universe, but there is no true evidence that a creator did just speculaton.
And in the future if there is a concrete evidence then i would accept it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Who Is The Son Of Perdition? / Open Letter To Pastor Adeboye / Don't Be Deceived, These Are The Churches You Shouldn't Be Attending.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.