Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,238 members, 7,822,225 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:39 AM

2nd Niger Bride: Lagos To The Rescue!? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2nd Niger Bride: Lagos To The Rescue!? (1943 Views)

Abba Kyari Honoured For The Rescue Of Abducted Ikorodu School Girls / Abba Kyari Meets Ambode After The Rescue Of Kidnapped Lagos Schoolgirls / Police Releases Press Statement On The Rescue Of Chief Olu Falae (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2nd Niger Bride: Lagos To The Rescue!? by CyberG: 8:38pm On Jun 01, 2013
I see a recent debate over the 2nd Niger Bridge which is supposed to link Anambra State to Delta State over the Niger! Since the PDP FG government has been promising for 14 years and more politicians even before then, how about a strategy to build it!? The Lagos State government with the SW states of Nigeria will build the bridge and TOLL it accordingly, manage it and collect ALL revenues accruable from the use thereof! The SW has no need to prove its administration to build and manage such infrastructure for in the last 2 weeks alone, 2 bridges each about the size of the 2nd Niger Bridge were built and commissioned. The 2nd Niger Bridge is only 700 m by the way.

Will the ibos and their leaders allow the SW to build this bridge for them since they haven't and cannot build it themselves? Let us have your contributions!

7 Likes

Re: 2nd Niger Bride: Lagos To The Rescue!? by EkoIle1: 8:42pm On Jun 01, 2013
lol...

They'd rather beg the FG for another 30 years to build this bridge. Hate and bitterness is very powerful..

7 Likes

Re: 2nd Niger Bride: Lagos To The Rescue!? by KnowAll(m): 8:43pm On Jun 01, 2013
Why not now, Since the men in the East have chosen not think out of the box, common sense dictates and allows the few thinking men in our country to come forward and relief the pains, obstacle and despair of our Eastern brothers after all what brothers for.

3 Likes

Re: 2nd Niger Bride: Lagos To The Rescue!? by CyberG: 8:52pm On Jun 01, 2013
Thank you guys...keep it coming! Eko, are you able in any remote way to get word out on this in your sphere of influence or communication? Yes, this may sound silly at first but if you had a company worth a lot and you needed to invest in staff, you would hire someone (or people) who has done exactly what you are trying to do and even much more! Let us give our SE brothers the best bridge ever, they will go and uproot the old one by hand in annoyance! Is it possible? Goodness, how about a 5-lane on each side (10 in total) with about a 500 m - 1 km approach road sound to you Nigerians? Remember this is actually useful for the whole of Nigeria, not just the ibos as people going as far as Imo, PH, Akwa Ibom, Cross Rivers, etc will find it very useful! All conveniences will be provided like functioning flush toilets, security, a secure mini-car park, and in fact a market in the lower wrungs of the bridge or something! We could make it suspended for function and effect, all lighted up at night!

I hope you folks don't slander this idea but it is thinking outside the BOX! Any takers? What do you all think?
Re: 2nd Niger Bride: Lagos To The Rescue!? by Zonacom(m): 9:38pm On Jun 01, 2013
Topic says Second niger BRIDE.... Hate is so powerful that sometimes it pushes the hater to do things without reasoning
Re: 2nd Niger Bride: Lagos To The Rescue!? by Nobody: 9:47pm On Jun 01, 2013
Very funny.

2 Likes

Re: 2nd Niger Bride: Lagos To The Rescue!? by CyberG: 9:50pm On Jun 01, 2013
Zona.com:
Topic says Second niger BRIDE.... Hate is so powerful that sometimes it pushes the hater to do things without reasoning

You are the only one seeing hate here! Well FYI, some people don't have the time to sit behind a computer and type on the go from a phone. Also NL has removed the ability to modify the title otherwise I would have done it since! Seun, should you see his post, kindly help modify he title to read correctly. In fact, change Lagos to SW States too!
Re: 2nd Niger Bride: Lagos To The Rescue!? by vanbonattel: 10:08pm On Jun 01, 2013
I think the first Niger bride was oil, if Lagos should give them a second bride, her name should be Folshade, Simbiatu or Bimbola.

1 Like

Re: 2nd Niger Bride: Lagos To The Rescue!? by aljharem(m): 10:22pm On Jun 01, 2013
not necessary. funny though grin grin
Re: 2nd Niger Bride: Lagos To The Rescue!? by EkoIle1: 10:36pm On Jun 01, 2013

Re: 2nd Niger Bride: Lagos To The Rescue!? by EkoAtlantic: 10:40pm On Jun 01, 2013
We're going to think about it...
Re: 2nd Niger Bride: Lagos To The Rescue!? by ekoileee: 10:41pm On Jun 01, 2013
I was just on the phone with fashola and he promised to look into this bridge matter. He expressed great sadness that people are still begging for a bridge in 2013.

1 Like

Re: 2nd Niger Bride: Lagos To The Rescue!? by vanbonattel: 10:45pm On Jun 01, 2013
eko ileee: I was just on the phone with fashola and he promised to look into this bridge matter. He expressed great sadness that people are still begging for a bridge in 2013.

How is the retardeen of alausa doing?
Re: 2nd Niger Bride: Lagos To The Rescue!? by EkoIle1: 10:56pm On Jun 01, 2013
van bonattel:

How is the retardeen of alausa doing?

You don miss road..

Only Reterdeens don't know their Retardeen uncle's house.

The one and only reterdeen on record is shayoing inside aso rock...
Re: 2nd Niger Bride: Lagos To The Rescue!? by CyberG: 11:12pm On Jun 01, 2013
eko ileee: I was just on the phone with fashola and he promised to look into this bridge matter. He expressed great sadness that people are still begging for a bridge in 2013.

Eko, abeg don't make this topic something that people will see as an avenue to slander each other. There are only 3 possibilities for building the bridge if it must be built: the FG, Anambra & Delta, perhaps other States & private businesses. The FG, Anambra, Delta after more than 14 years have not and do not seem like they will build the bridge. This is where thinking outside the box and suggesting other states / Nigeria be the leaders of this bridge which they will recoup every dime of their investment + profits! God will not come down and build the bridge by any means, nor will the bridge build itself. Will it be better if the current bridge gives way one day, maybe just before Christmas when everyone is traveling home? Then, they will accuse us that we don't care??
Re: 2nd Niger Bride: Lagos To The Rescue!? by EkoIle1: 11:26pm On Jun 01, 2013
CyberG:

Eko, abeg don't make this topic something that people will see as an avenue to slander each other. There are only 3 possibilities for building the bridge if it must be built: the FG, Anambra & Delta, perhaps other States & private businesses. The FG, Anambra, Delta after more than 14 years have not and do not seem like they will build the bridge. This is where thinking outside the box and suggesting other states / Nigeria be the leaders of this bridge which they will recoup every dime of their investment + profits! God will not come down and build the bridge by any means, nor will the bridge build itself. Will it be better if the current bridge gives way one day, maybe just before Christmas when everyone is traveling home? Then, they will accuse us that we don't care??

Let's be realistic, there is no incentives for any PDP administration to build this bridge, infact, its against their political interest do do so since this bridge is a permanent source of votes for them so why build it and and up taking away the vote magnet.

The bridge unbuilt works for them @ every election cycle, unfortunately, the folks in the region are yet to wake up to this sad and obvious reality and I don't even think they care to wake up since are all about emotions and never tactics and strategies...

Re: 2nd Niger Bride: Lagos To The Rescue!? by Nobody: 11:31pm On Jun 01, 2013
Oga Op, Obasanjo is SW and he was president for 8years, tell me the reasons why he refused to build the bridge since SW are the saviours? Lest I forget, Ernest Shenikon was also a president and he hails from SW yet he could not build the bridge. Does it mean that SW often produce wicked and corrupt presidents? I don't care how many hours Ernest spent on the throne, so don't bring time into play here because he ought to have started somewhere which would have given Abacha no other choice than to finish the project. The lagos you are enjoying and boasting of today was built by Azikiwe,Ironsi,Gowon,Murtala,Obasanjo,Buhari and IBB. Even Ibadan was not built by any of your kingsmen except the NTA that Awolowo brought. Any objection??

2 Likes

Re: 2nd Niger Bride: Lagos To The Rescue!? by Josegun(m): 11:48pm On Jun 01, 2013
chidindufrank: Oga Op, Obasanjo is SW and he was president for 8years, tell me the reasons why he refused to build the bridge since SW are the saviours? Lest I forget, Ernest Shenikon was also a president and he hails from SW yet he could not build the bridge. Does it mean that SW often produce wicked and corrupt presidents? I don't care how many hours Ernest spent on the throne, so don't bring time into play here because he ought to have started somewhere which would have given Abacha no other choice than to finish the project. The lagos you are enjoying and boasting of today was built by Azikiwe,Ironsi,Gowon,Murtala,Obasanjo,Buhari and IBB. Even Ibadan was not built by any of your kingsmen except the NTA that Awolowo brought. Any objection??
I dey lauf o o o
Re: 2nd Niger Bride: Lagos To The Rescue!? by EkoIle1: 12:04am On Jun 02, 2013
chidindufrank: Oga Op, Obasanjo is SW and he was president for 8years, tell me the reasons why he refused to build the bridge since SW are the saviours? Lest I forget, Ernest Shenikon was also a president and he hails from SW yet he could not build the bridge. Does it mean that SW often produce wicked and corrupt presidents? I don't care how many hours Ernest spent on the throne, so don't bring time into play here because he ought to have started somewhere which would have given Abacha no other choice than to finish the project. The lagos you are enjoying and boasting of today was built by Azikiwe,Ironsi,Gowon,Murtala,Obasanjo,Buhari and IBB. Even Ibadan was not built by any of your kingsmen except the NTA that Awolowo brought. Any objection??

Na ignorance dey trouble you, go back to school and learn your history....

1 Like

Re: 2nd Niger Bride: Lagos To The Rescue!? by lawbabs: 12:31am On Jun 02, 2013

I think it's important to know that OBJ is part of the PDP parapo. The truth is the SW have grown to identify who their foes are regardless of where they come from. That is why they remain the only region that can vote out any party if they are convinced to. That is why their governors are more accountable and are able to think out of the box.

1 Like

Re: 2nd Niger Bride: Lagos To The Rescue!? by IGBOSON1: 12:36am On Jun 02, 2013
CyberG: I see a recent debate over the 2nd Niger Bridge which is supposed to link Anambra State to Delta State over the Niger! Since the PDP FG government has been promising for 14 years and more politicians even before then, how about a strategy to build it!? The Lagos State government with the SW states of Nigeria will build the bridge and TOLL it accordingly, manage it and collect ALL revenues accruable from the use thereof! The SW has no need to prove its administration to build and manage such infrastructure for in the last 2 weeks alone, 2 bridges each about the size of the 2nd Niger Bridge were built and commissioned. The 2nd Niger Bridge is only 700 m by the way.

Will the ibos and their leaders allow the SW to build this bridge for them since they haven't and cannot build it themselves? Let us have your contributions!

^^^First off.....the South West (minus Lagos which doesn't count since it's built and sustained by ALL Nigerian tax payers) should first bother about taking care of their own problems before even thinking of trying to 'help' others, since it's bloody obvious they can't survive without oyel.....without federal gov't allocation.

Secondly, you should direct your greek gift to the federal authorities and leave 'ibos' out of it since the project in question is under the purview of the federal gov't.

Thirdly -and most important point of all- Ndigbo would sooner accept a 'gift' from a rattlesnake than consider your offer as it's no different to Hitler offering to sell life insurance policies to the Jews! shocked

So from the aforementioned i'm afraid we're gonna have to say thanks but no thanks!

Cheers all the same. smiley

2 Likes

Re: 2nd Niger Bride: Lagos To The Rescue!? by Zonacom(m): 4:25am On Jun 02, 2013
van bonattel: I think the first Niger bride was oil, if Lagos should give them a second bride, her name should be Folshade, Simbiatu or Bimbola.
Hahaha u got it dude. One bottle of Hero 4 u
Re: 2nd Niger Bride: Lagos To The Rescue!? by Ikengawo: 4:35am On Jun 02, 2013
Re: 2nd Niger Bride: Lagos To The Rescue!? by CyberG: 5:13am On Jun 02, 2013
IGBO-SON:

^^^First off.....the South West (minus Lagos which doesn't count since it's built and sustained by ALL Nigerian tax payers) should first bother about taking care of their own problems before even thinking of trying to 'help' others, since it's bloody obvious they can't survive without oyel.....without federal gov't allocation.

Secondly, you should direct your greek gift to the federal authorities and leave 'ibos' out of it since the project in question is under the purview of the federal gov't.

Thirdly -and most important point of all- Ndigbo would sooner accept a 'gift' from a rattlesnake than consider your offer as it's no different to Hitler offering to sell life insurance policies to the Jews! shocked

So from the aforementioned i'm afraid we're gonna have to say thanks but no thanks!

Cheers all the same. smiley

It's my impression from your write-up that you are a small boy (not meant to be an insult if you are older) for your reasoning is devoid of any objectivism! You also betrayed a very grave lack of knowledge in your claims about Lagos, a state and part of the Commonwealth of the Yorubas only, by ancestral inheritance and heritage! The same applies to every part of Iboland, which belongs to the Ibos. While Lagos has been in modern development since the 1800's, recorded history of it's existence and access by colonialists is recorded as far as the early 1400s! That is the Mediaeval times, much like equally old Yoruba civilizations and kingdoms - there's nothing about Ibos in that time, they were not known to exist and development of Yoruba lands, Lagos inclusive dates waaaaaaayyyyyy back before 1914 Almagamation or before Ironsi abolished Regionalism for unitary government and "forced" the SW and indeed all Nigerians to share money from a common purse! I have no time to dig into history for you are a little kid and look up posting from Katsumoto, Alh. Harem and co., they have literally encyclopaedias for you to educate yourself about these type of history. Now, just as Lagos shares out of Nigeria's common purse, so does every state including your Anambra or is that not so? Quit the hypocrisy, Lagos will more than be happy to keep all its revenues which is about the same or a bit more than ALL the revenues accruable to all the 5 ibo states in Nigeria. I don't want to digress anymore but you leave me no reasons not to correct your infantile ignorance. Now to the main issues:

Yes, the FG is the one you have been looking to for more than 30 years! If your life was that bridge, would you wait for 30 years for someone, anyone to do something about your life?? Perhaps you could for your power of introspection seems rather weak, but I am sure cutting off your nose to spite your face will lead only to the loss of one person - YOU!

I see your thinking is rather low but let me correct two of your phrases: The rattlesnake is very dangerous and yes, the German holocaust created a record in the vista of human existence but are these reasonable comparisons to an out of the box thinking to solve a problem that has remained intractable for decades? A rattlesnake does not go about looking to harm anyone, you in fact have to step on it's tail or threaten it in some way before it attacks and long before it does, it warns you by "rattling" its tail - just pay attention and you can take evasive action! If you don't and you step on it, what would it have it do other than attack for which you roundly deserve? Hitler's case is a long story but I have no time or space to educate you about what happened before the Holocaust, which while unjustifiable, I find it repugnant that you reference such an extremity in case that is completely irrelevant to curry unnecessary sympathy and inject extreme emotion to what should indeed be an intellectual, cerebral discourse!

2 Likes

Re: 2nd Niger Bride: Lagos To The Rescue!? by CyberG: 5:40am On Jun 02, 2013

You are another 17-19 year old, still wet in between the ears! Even if a thousand tons of history books smacked you on your head, you will still be only as clueless as a stone! So where does that leave anyone in trying to educate you? When OBJ became president, you had no idea of Nigeria's situation politically, economically, socially and the humongous potential flash-point issues he had to deal with! Would any sane human being consider building a bridge as the first priority given Nigeria's situation in 1999? I read that the contract for the bridge was awarded by OBJ before he left in his second term but that is up for verification. In any case, show me your friends and I will tell you the type of person you are! OBJ, while he seems to be the best president by a long shot despite his many shortcomings, is part of PDP, the most destructive party in the history of Nigeria! What has PDP, objectively speaking, added to Nigeria since? Do you know that even the Yorubas, generally, did not blindly support OBJ but were in fact his biggest critics? Do you know that OBJ had no qualms seizing Lagos funds almost throughout his tenure and was only paid by Yaradua? What kind of president does such illegality even in the face of court injunctions to the contrary? Boy, use your brain and think!

Shonekan? You have no idea what you are talking about! Seriously? What did Ironsi contribute to Nigeria while he was president? Forget even building a toilet in Iboland, tell what ONE positive thing he left Nigeria with? Yet he was military president from January 1966 – July 1966, Shonekan was president for only 3 months, if the guy who had absolutely ALL POWER did nothing in 6 months yet you think he even added a pin to Lagos, why the double standard for another man who was INTERIM president for only 3 months, at a time Nigeria was in deep turmoil? Is it because he is not your tribesman? Do you know that Ironsi is the chief architect and promoter of ALL the coups that wrecked Nigeria afterwards, how? He refused to punish even 1 coupist of the January 1966 coup because they were his fellow ibos This was the coronation of coup mongers, who now saw it is possible to kill their bosses and comrades and commanders in a coup and nothing will happen! That is lawlessness, introduced by an iboman, Ironsi! How about his plan to stop the SW? Before independence and immediately after independence, the Regional system of government adopted in Nigeria was worked to perfection by the SWestern Yorubas of Nigeria, led by Chief Awolowo and many of his fellow Yoruba and Edo lieutenants! At the pace they were going, there was NO WAY all the ibos put together, multiplied in factorial numbers would catchup! The solution? Abolish Regionalism, introduce a UNITARY system of government to slow down the fast moving Yorubas to a snail pace like the Ibos. I kid you not, even the East tried to copy Awolowo's policies which they derided initially but they failed miserably because a copy cat cannot be like the originator of an idea!

Ironsi deliberately selected advisers who would push through his idea of Unitarianism, much to the protest of the North and West! One of his advisers was Mojekwu, a fellow Ibo man! Look, it's late at night and I can dig into archives to post details but it is on NL somewhere if you are truly curious to know the facts of what happened not emotion or sentiments! About Ibadan, I responded to a fellow Ibo like you who equally seems lacking in knowledge, I advise you read it too. Ibadan, in Oyo State, was civilized LOOOONNNNGGG time ago before anything called Ibo or Igbo was known in any book or to anyone! Read up on the Old Oyo Kingdom, their warriors, their conquests and wars that lasted several years! This is perhaps one of the reasons why an average Yoruba man is tempered in character and sense! When you start talking about war, some boastful conquest, he heaves a sigh and carries on to his business of the day for these are people who understand war, were born to it, taught by their great-grandfathers what happened and imbued into them values and genes that a 1000 history books cannot teach! On a last note, mention Chief Obafemi Awolowo's name with reverence. There's no one in the entire lineage of your people who has come close to him in wisdom, knowledge or achievements for his people or personally!

2 Likes

Re: 2nd Niger Bride: Lagos To The Rescue!? by geeez: 6:02am On Jun 02, 2013
It's not economically viable for us as they won't be able to afford the N500 toll since they can stay in their region
Re: 2nd Niger Bride: Lagos To The Rescue!? by Sibrah: 6:54am On Jun 02, 2013
CyberG, Please school ignorant folks more.
Re: 2nd Niger Bride: Lagos To The Rescue!? by IGBOSON1: 10:12am On Jun 02, 2013
CyberG:

It's my impression from your write-up that you are a small boy (not meant to be an insult if you are older) for your reasoning is devoid of any objectivism! You also betrayed a very grave lack of knowledge in your claims about Lagos, a state and part of the Commonwealth of the Yorubas only, by ancestral inheritance and heritage! The same applies to every part of Iboland, which belongs to the Ibos. While Lagos has been in modern development since the 1800's, recorded history of it's existence and access by colonialists is recorded as far as the early 1400s! That is the Mediaeval times, much like equally old Yoruba civilizations and kingdoms - there's nothing about Ibos in that time, they were not known to exist and development of Yoruba lands, Lagos inclusive dates waaaaaaayyyyyy back before 1914 Almagamation or before Ironsi abolished Regionalism for unitary government and "forced" the SW and indeed all Nigerians to share money from a common purse! I have no time to dig into history for you are a little kid and look up posting from Katsumoto, Alh. Harem and co., they have literally encyclopaedias for you to educate yourself about these type of history. Now, just as Lagos shares out of Nigeria's common purse, so does every state including your Anambra or is that not so? Quit the hypocrisy, Lagos will more than be happy to keep all its revenues which is about the same or a bit more than ALL the revenues accruable to all the 5 ibo states in Nigeria. I don't want to digress anymore but you leave me no reasons not to correct your infantile ignorance. Now to the main issues:

Yes, the FG is the one you have been looking to for more than 30 years! If your life was that bridge, would you wait for 30 years for someone, anyone to do something about your life?? Perhaps you could for your power of introspection seems rather weak, but I am sure cutting off your nose to spite your face will lead only to the loss of one person - YOU!

I see your thinking is rather low but let me correct two of your phrases: The rattlesnake is very dangerous and yes, the German holocaust created a record in the vista of human existence but are these reasonable comparisons to an out of the box thinking to solve a problem that has remained intractable for decades? A rattlesnake does not go about looking to harm anyone, you in fact have to step on it's tail or threaten it in some way before it attacks and long before it does, it warns you by "rattling" its tail - just pay attention and you can take evasive action! If you don't and you step on it, what would it have it do other than attack for which you roundly deserve? Hitler's case is a long story but I have no time or space to educate you about what happened before the Holocaust, which while unjustifiable, I find it repugnant that you reference such an extremity in case that is completely irrelevant to curry unnecessary sympathy and inject extreme emotion to what should indeed be an intellectual, cerebral discourse!

^^^Haba! Why all the abuse na? smiley It's sunday morning dude so calm down!

You typed a treatise up there but only succeeded in waffling about, hardly making any coherent points.

When i referenced 'Lagos' it was in relation to its status as Nigerias economic/commercial hub and had nothing to do with its heritage or culture; nobody is dragging that with you so don't fret over nothing wink. I wasn't referring to Lagos during the reign of the Tudor Monarchs of England, neither was i referring to Lagos of the Kosokos and Dosunmus gerrit?; i was referencing modern Lagos built on the back of being the economic/commercial and (once) political capital of Nigeria. Surely even you can recognise the difference between the two periods undecided?

You talk of Lagos sharing out of the federal purse just like Anambra does; you see why i earlier said that you're waffling? I've alluded to the fact that Lagos (and only Lagos) can manage to get by without federal allocation, but this is as a result of its status in Nigeria....which has just as much to do with Yorubas as it has to do with the Igbos, Ijaws, Itsekiri, Hausa/Fulani, Berom, Igala, etc-etc-etc. Knowing this fact, i don't know where you come off thinking that Yorubas are well placed to offer some kind of benevolent charity to Igbos when they're no better off?

Your bragging that Lagos IGR is more than the IGR of the 5 'ibo' states is a moot point......that's if you can read and understand this post properly. Do you reckon we'd be having this conversation if all regions were allowed to practise proper fiscal federalism and just pay tax (or a small percentage of their earnings) to the centre for the resources found in their territory; and if they were allowed to develop economic policies favourable to their regions without having to answer first to Abuja?

You talk of one 'cutting off his nose to spite his face' abi? Awo, Obasanjo and Adekunle would know more about this than i would going by their lack of foresight in doing what was best for their people and pulling them out of this 'mere geographical expression' when they had a window of opportunity presented to them......rather they preferred to 'chase a rat when their house was on fire'! If -after this schooling i'm giving you- you still think Ndigbo have been looking to the federal gov't for 30 years, then i'm afraid your case is a hopeless one.

Again you waffle in your last paragraph and end up saying nothing! Comparing you and your ilk to a rattlesnake was with the benefit of hindsight (once bitten twice shy you know?), considering past experiences with una and just how much you 'care' about Ndigbo, and this was why i labelled your offer nothing more than a 'Greek gift', and made comparisons with Hitler offering to 'help' the Jews.

You made a good point with the rattlesnake i'd have to admit: "....you in fact have to step on it's tail or threaten it in some way before it attacks and long before it does, it warns you by "rattling" its tail...."; but i'd go further to say that one doesn't have to step on a rattlesnake or consciously threaten it before it strikes you.....you could be going about your business oblivious of the snake, but b'cos of its small brain, it wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a threat and something harmless passing by; and either there'd be no time to warn you, or -being oblivious to the snakes presence- you may not hear the rattle before it sinks its fangs into you; and this is the difference between a human and an animal.....being able to use your brain to think before making decisions which could affect a persons life!

Cheers mate. smiley

PS: the 1400s were post medieval period.

1 Like

Re: 2nd Niger Bride: Lagos To The Rescue!? by CyberG: 3:45pm On Jun 02, 2013
To IGBO-SON: I start with your last statement, a deliberate statement I made after looking it up. I ask you go do the same. The 1400s, ARGUABLY, was the end of the medieval period! Google, don't argue!

My post was a treatise? Yours was an epistle but not edifying or educating at all for you spent much paragraphs flip-flopping and adjusting your previous naive positions. At the end of the day, you CANNOT talk about Lagos, nay any place, without it's history so you addressing "modern" Lagos is DOA! The history and culture of the Yorubas is rich and sancrosanct, YOU cannot and in no position to talk of any modernity while whittling down its history. But I know why you think is okay: your people, the ibos have no such enviable history and the modern Ibo society comes with so much baggage and weight on the conscience of most average Igbos.

You goofed in your thinking with what you wrote in paragraphs 4 and 5. Think about it: was Iboland not physically on earth when the colonial administrators chose Lagos as the most strategic location for the new capital which was once in Calabar? How did they move from Calabar to Lagos without passing through Iboland? They knew based on facts at that time the best location by geographical location, proximity to the sea, a sensible, moderate and confident people whom they had been in contact with since the 1400s! That is over 500 years before Nigeria was born! Now should Lagos or Yorubas be blamed for being better according to the indices of selection? NO!

Still on the same issues you raised. Think about it: in th days of Regionalism, Lagos and the SW region beat every other parts of Nigeria including Iboland governed by an Igbo man! Ah, Ironsi says I will slow them down by abolishing regional governments and institute a Unitary system of government where I and my fellow ibos (who were closer to central governments then but that is another story) will moderate and determine how fast the fast moving Yorubas can go! What happened and is happening now in the Ibo agenda and "final solution"? The Yorubas are still ahead kicking the butts of all the ibo states. By GDP the SW states are far ahead than all Ibo states if even if you don't factor in Lagos State! Migration of people is always from the village to urban centers, from a worse place to a better place! Do you think the millions that left their ancestral homes to the US or UK don't know it's better than where they are coming from? The millions of Ibos that migrated to the north or SW are not stupid, or does living in poverty or the Hobbesian state of their villages proves anything when they can have a better life in Lagos, Ibadan, Osun or Northern Nigeria? You cannot blame the Yorubas for their leader Chief Awolowo did not want them in Nigeria but the Ibo leader Azikiwe co-opted the Yorubas into this union to eventually slow it down and if possible ruin it! Why did you think they tried to destroy Chief Awolowo by framing him up on treasonable felony charges? Strike the shepherd and sheep shall be scattered! Is it the fault of the Yorubas and their cities that they are better than Iboland? I have lived in Imo State and know my way around, been to Onitsha and Abia, little of Enugu so I know what I am saying! Without doubt and equivocation, Onisha the market is the most lawless and dangerous location in Nigeria where you hear gunshots in broad daylight, that is robbers and MASSOB engaging in criminal acts. It is the only place where market sellers grab your shirt to come and buy what you don't even need or enter their own bus! They even try to take you right from on top of Okada to come into their bus! I know what I am saying, I was there MYSELF!

Your last paragraph bears no real intent and should draw no response but I will indulge you: if you had a choice to hire people like Chief Obafemi Awolowo, General Obasanjo and Colonel Adekunle or their counterpart like Colonel Odumegwur Ojukwu, Achuzia, and co. who were completely beaten in the war who would you choose? As an Ibo man, I expect you to take sides with your kinsman to keep up the facade that ibos are special Jews but the fact is an objective selection will choose people who are known to have gotten their jobs done to perfection in the past! What is the point of choosing your kinsman just for that reason when your investment will surely be eaten as lunch by the opposition?
Re: 2nd Niger Bride: Lagos To The Rescue!? by CyberG: 3:56pm On Jun 02, 2013
Sibrah: CyberG, Please school ignorant folks more.

Thanks man! smiley I will try but it's quite tiring as these people twist every factual history into something else!
Re: 2nd Niger Bride: Lagos To The Rescue!? by IGBOSON1: 7:12pm On Jun 02, 2013
CyberG: To IGBO-SON: I start with your last statement, a deliberate statement I made after looking it up. I ask you go do the same. The 1400s, ARGUABLY, was the end of the medieval period! Google, don't argue!

My post was a treatise? Yours was an epistle but not edifying or educating at all for you spent much paragraphs flip-flopping and adjusting your previous naive positions. At the end of the day, you CANNOT talk about Lagos, nay any place, without it's history so you addressing "modern" Lagos is DOA! The history and culture of the Yorubas is rich and sancrosanct, YOU cannot and in no position to talk of any modernity while whittling down its history. But I know why you think is okay: your people, the ibos have no such enviable history and the modern Ibo society comes with so much baggage and weight on the conscience of most average Igbos.

You goofed in your thinking with what you wrote in paragraphs 4 and 5. Think about it: was Iboland not physically on earth when the colonial administrators chose Lagos as the most strategic location for the new capital which was once in Calabar? How did they move from Calabar to Lagos without passing through Iboland? They knew based on facts at that time the best location by geographical location, proximity to the sea, a sensible, moderate and confident people whom they had been in contact with since the 1400s! That is over 500 years before Nigeria was born! Now should Lagos or Yorubas be blamed for being better according to the indices of selection? NO!

Still on the same issues you raised. Think about it: in th days of Regionalism, Lagos and the SW region beat every other parts of Nigeria including Iboland governed by an Igbo man! Ah, Ironsi says I will slow them down by abolishing regional governments and institute a Unitary system of government where I and my fellow ibos (who were closer to central governments then but that is another story) will moderate and determine how fast the fast moving Yorubas can go! What happened and is happening now in the Ibo agenda and "final solution"? The Yorubas are still ahead kicking the butts of all the ibo states. By GDP the SW states are far ahead than all Ibo states if even if you don't factor in Lagos State! Migration of people is always from the village to urban centers, from a worse place to a better place! Do you think the millions that left their ancestral homes to the US or UK don't know it's better than where they are coming from? The millions of Ibos that migrated to the north or SW are not stupid, or does living in poverty or the Hobbesian state of their villages proves anything when they can have a better life in Lagos, Ibadan, Osun or Northern Nigeria? You cannot blame the Yorubas for their leader Chief Awolowo did not want them in Nigeria but the Ibo leader Azikiwe co-opted the Yorubas into this union to eventually slow it down and if possible ruin it! Why did you think they tried to destroy Chief Awolowo by framing him up on treasonable felony charges? Strike the shepherd and sheep shall be scattered! Is it the fault of the Yorubas and their cities that they are better than Iboland? I have lived in Imo State and know my way around, been to Onitsha and Abia, little of Enugu so I know what I am saying! Without doubt and equivocation, Onisha the market is the most lawless and dangerous location in Nigeria where you hear gunshots in broad daylight, that is robbers and MASSOB engaging in criminal acts. It is the only place where market sellers grab your shirt to come and buy what you don't even need or enter their own bus! They even try to take you right from on top of Okada to come into their bus! I know what I am saying, I was there MYSELF!

Your last paragraph bears no real intent and should draw no response but I will indulge you: if you had a choice to hire people like Chief Obafemi Awolowo, General Obasanjo and Colonel Adekunle or their counterpart like Colonel Odumegwur Ojukwu, Achuzia, and co. who were completely beaten in the war who would you choose? As an Ibo man, I expect you to take sides with your kinsman to keep up the facade that ibos are special Jews but the fact is an objective selection will choose people who are known to have gotten their jobs done to perfection in the past! What is the point of choosing your kinsman just for that reason when your investment will surely be eaten as lunch by the opposition?

^^^Still pouring out the invectives i see.....some things never change i suppose. Why not 'try' and marshal out your points (that's if you've got any wink) without abusing a whole ethnicity the way you do?; that's very immature, and you come off sounding like an unrepentant hateful bigot!

Well, on when the 'medieval period' ended i guess we'll differ on that as there seems to be differing dates for different countries (just checked it up) hence neither of us were wrong i suppose.....my bad!

You know you've just made another post without giving answers to my assertions (point by point) like i did yours; this gives you room to beat about the bush.....go off on a tangent, and end up saying next to nothing; you then sit back, look admiringly at the lines and paragraphs of prevarication you just typed, shake you head in self-adulation and say to yourself "that told him!"

Pray, tell me exactly where i 'flip-flopped' from a previous position? I've always maintained that you are in NO position to make a derogatory post on how Yorubas are superior economically to Igbos to the extent of having spare cash left over to 'help' us build the 2nd bridge; i explained that besides Lagos, no other state can boast of sustaining itself and fulfil its financial commitments without recourse to the federal allocation, and hence we're all in the same boat. I explained that with the practise of proper fiscal federalism, Ndigbo would be able to use our human and material resources (which we have in abundance) to take care of ALL our needs without having to look to the centre for diddly squat!

You talk of Lagos cultural and historical past being relevant to this economic discussion to the extent that it explains how Yorubas are economically superior to the extent of 'helping' Ndigbo build a bridge, and i schooled told you that Lagos (as it stands economically/commercially today) has fuc'kall to do with just one ethnicity; but rather its relative success is as a result of it being the economic hub and former capital of all Nigeria! Lagos -in part- also owes its present status to the political shenanigans of the Hausa/Fulani/Yoruba political/military elite that promoted Lagos above other cities like Enugu, Onitsha, Aba, Port Harcourt, Warri, Uyo and Calabar. I never dimished the importance of Lagos' cultural heritage as i couldn't care less about it if i'm perfectly honest with you......all i'm saying is that it has nothing to do with the argument at hand, and like i said b/4 don't panic as Ndigbo have no designs to chase you out and take over grin.

I don't want to go down your route of ethnic bashing as it's quite childish and demonstrates a hateful mind.....which you have from all indications.

You talk of the GDP of the South West states (minus Lagos) being bigger that that of the South Eastern states; well, i've not bothered to look it up as -unlike you- i'm not obsessing with whether i'm better or worse than my neighbours.....rather i'm more interested in moving my people forward and overcoming any obstacles this country throws at us; this same obsession about Ndigbo affairs you exhibit is what made your god Awo go on to commit unspeakable evil on a people and overlook the interest of his people just to 'try' and surpass and hold Ndigbo down. Dude don't let anybody have this kind of control over you (without even trying i hasten to add!); hate eats you up from the insides and keeps you paranoid.

Of course -with the benefit of hindsight- we can now say Ironsi made some errors in governance, but can you point to specific policies/programmes he initiated to help pursue this 'hidden agenda' to hold Yorubas down?; i'd love to hear some of them. You honestly think that Ironsi (whose ethnicity were doing relatively well for themselves at the time) had in mind to bring in a unitary system of governance to help put the breaks on Yorubas economic gains, or do you think he did it to have better control of the country?; and how come power hasn't returned to the federating units ever since Ironsis' death to date?......or you still wanna blame the 'pesky Igbos'?; how come your man Awo never suggested to Gowon to return to status-quo so the Yorubas could continue their interrupted march to economic greatness?

Please don't let me think you're a blockhead as well as a bigot biko!; You ask why millions of 'ibos' migrate to the North and South west if it's not that their villages are poverty stricken? Besides the fact that i've thrashed out this 'Lagos' thing time without number on this thread, i could equally ask you why we find Yorubas in Abuja, Port Harcourt and even the South Eastern states......could it be for the same reasons you gave earlier for 'Ibo' migration? I have also explained time without number that the South East and South South have drawn the short end of the stick in the countrys' economy from the late 60s to the coming of the Yar'Adua/Jonathan//Jonathan presidency; and also that the non-practise of proper fiscal federalism has affected the socio-economy of these regions (even Lagos is affected by way of receiving less tax receipts than it's actually entitled to).

You started a derogatory thread on Ndigbo and the 2nd Niger bridge, and i gave you a non too subtle hint to take your 'greek gift' and shove it firmly up your arsse, and then you go on to throw your toys out the pram in a hissy-fit! Dude you have some growing up to do walahi!

Cheers. smiley

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

FG To Concession Lagos - Ibadan Expressway / Rehabilitating the Haramites and GEJ's greatest mistake - CramJones / Chibok Girls To Be Released On Monday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.