Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,814 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:28 AM

Does The New Testament Completely Rule Out The Significance Of The Old Testament - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does The New Testament Completely Rule Out The Significance Of The Old Testament (2521 Views)

The New Testament Prophets Defined. / Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? / What Is The Significance Of Praying Before Eating? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Re: Does The New Testament Completely Rule Out The Significance Of The Old Testament by Nobody: 8:51pm On Apr 16, 2013
Well for me.....

New testament( Acts to Revelation) corresponds to 'protein'. Provides saints with the principles of God's word that are essential building blocks for spiritual growth and development.

Gospels(matthew to john)-correspond to the 'fats'. Contain complementary detailed accounts on the life of Jesus that highlight principles and instructions of how Jesus the pattern Son walked on the Earth. This will enable the new testament Christian to walk as Jesus walked being more conformed to His image.

Old testament( genesis to malachi)- correspond to 'carbohydrates'. Reveal principles of the new testament in types and shadows and also highlights prophetic timing thereby strongly motivating the saints to act on these to increase and prosper spiritually and physically.

Proverbs-correspond to 'vitamins'. Needed in relatively smaller quantities daily, but vital for providing wisdom and instruction to enable the saint practice principles of the word of God.

Psalms-correspond to 'minerals' these are also necessary only in small quantities but are extremely important for spiritual well being as they inspire, comfort and encourage the saints because the new testament church is called the tabernacle of David. So the psalms contain vital quantities of prophetic truth that are presently applicable to the new testament christian.

Conclusively both OT and NT are essentially needed for a 'balanced diet' to foster consistent spiritual growth in the life of every child of God.
Re: Does The New Testament Completely Rule Out The Significance Of The Old Testament by Nobody: 8:47am On Apr 17, 2013
Alwaystrue: James 4:1-6
1 From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members? 2 Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not. 3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts. 4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God. 5 Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy? 6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble

1 What is causing the quarrels and fights among you? Don’t they come from the evil desires at war within you? 2 You want what you don’t have, so you scheme and kill to get it. You are jealous of what others have, but you can’t get it, so you fight and wage war to take it away from them. Yet you don’t have what you want because you don’t ask God for it. 3 And even when you ask, you don’t get it because your motives are all wrong—you want only what will give you pleasure. 4 You adulterers![a] Don’t you realize that friendship with the world makes you an enemy of God? I say it again: If you want to be a friend of the world, you make yourself an enemy of God. 5 What do you think the Scriptures mean when they say that the spirit God has placed within us is filled with envy? 6 But he gives us even more grace to stand against such evil desires. As the Scriptures say,
“God opposes the proud
but favors the humble.”

Above are two translations of the scriptures in James 4. I quoted this because of the ongoing killings and bombings all over the world. In Nigeria, in the middle east and now in America, which happened yesterday. May the Lord comfort the families of the departed and grant speedy recovery to those who are recuperating from the wounds they sustained.

Lust is a major sin which leads to covetousness, idolatry, killing, wars, adultery and a host of other sins covered in the bible.
Infact the first sin committed in the bible was through lust as shown below. If you read Genesis 3:1-19 but I will quote this relevant verses:

Genesis 3:6
6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

I John 2:15-17
15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

A quick comparism of the two scriptures show their uncanny similarity. When the woman saw the tree was good for food (lust fo the flesh), and it was pleasant to the eyes (lust of the eyes) and it is to be desired to make one wise (pride of life), she showed where her love was and this made her to sin.
God gave them the liberty of all the wonderful, sumptuous fruits in the garden but it was the one that God had told them not to eat of that they lusted after. This shows how sin through the commandment wrought evil.

Romans 7:8
But sin used this command to arouse all kinds of covetous desires within me! If there were no law, sin would not have that power.

Now we see how sin entered the world, through lust and throughout the old testament, atonement for sin was always through shedding of blood of unblemished animals in most cases till Christ came to the world and walked and talked as He was sent by God the Father, died as the final atonement for sin such that anyone who receives Jesus Christ has all his sins washed away and receives a new life of walking in the spirit as against the flesh even though both continually war against each other as Paul said in:

Romans 7:23-25
But I discern in my bodily members [[d]in the sensitive appetites and wills of the flesh] a different law (rule of action) at war against the law of my mind (my reason) and making me a prisoner to the law of sin that dwells in my bodily organs [[e]in the sensitive appetites and wills of the flesh].
24 O unhappy and pitiable and wretched man that I am! Who will release and deliver me from [the shackles of] this body of death?
25 O thank God! [He will!] through Jesus Christ (the Anointed One) our Lord! So then indeed I, of myself with the mind and heart, serve the Law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin

@Adromida,
Thanks for the submission. Our relationship with God now is of sonship and we serve God because He loves us and not because we need to earn his love. The love of His Son has covered the multitude of our sins thus giving us a clean slate to walk with Him in Spirit and in truth.

Very welcome. May i also add that the New testament reveals the personal aspect of God,constant fellowship with his majesty without barrier or complicated rituals. Behold what manner of love that we can call God Father!!
Re: Does The New Testament Completely Rule Out The Significance Of The Old Testament by Alwaystrue(f): 9:48am On Apr 20, 2013
@Bidam,
It is not yet balanced now, I did not see water grin. Unless you mean water is the Spirit we have been talking about.
That is nice though. There is balance in the word of God whichever way you call each diet.

In continuation, so we see Paul say:

Romans 7:24-25
24 Wretched man that I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?

25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.

It is through Jesus Christ that we can serve the law of God truly. But the flesh serves the law of sin and death. As long as we walk in the spirit, we cannot fulfill the lust of the flesh.

Paul now explained better the liberty of a Christian who is not condemned:

Romans 8:1
There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

The above scripture summarises what I have said in Romans 7:24-24. There is no condemnation to those in Christ who walk in the Spirit and not the flesh. So it means some Christins actually still walk in the flesh and the works of the flesh are mentioned in Galatians 5:16-18 while the fruits of the Spirit that manifest those that walk in the Spirit are shown in Galatians 5:22-23 to which there is no law.
We are dead to, NOT ABOVE, the law when our works and walk show the fruits of the spirit. However when we start doing the works of the flesh it shows we have subjected ourselves to the law of sin as Paul said in Romans 7:25.

Now so many people talk above love, love, love but fail to know or show those attributes of love which is a law on its own of dos and don'ts.
Read I Cortinthians 13.

I Corinthians 13:1-7
1 If I could speak all the languages of earth and of angels, but didn’t love others, I would only be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of God’s secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didn’t love others, I would be nothing.
3 If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it;[t] but if I didn’t love others, I would have gained nothing.
4 Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud
5 or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. 6 It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out.
7 Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.

Let us weight our purported claims of love against the scripture above as love is not about how you feel but a constant attitude even when wronged or when not feeling in the mood.
Jesus also said if you love Him, you will do His commandments.
Those that love God do His will so love goes beyond saying or empty actions.

May we receive more grace (help, enablement) as we live our lives for Christ exhibiting the fruits of the spirit so that our actions/works will not be loveless but graceful and praiseworthy.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Please Is Jesus God This Has Brought Confusion Among Christain / Is It Wise To Pay Tithe From Monthly Pension? / IN Memory Of Arch Bishop Benson Idahosa . 20 Years In Mind.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.