Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,053 members, 7,810,938 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:51 PM

Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? (8507 Views)

The New Testament Prophets Defined. / Understanding "Power To Get Wealth" In The Light Of The New Testament / False Prophecies Of The New Testament (bible) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by damipaul(m): 7:44pm On Oct 15, 2013
Growing up, I did things my parents told me to do (most of the things actually) not out of understanding but because I had to obey my parents. Looking back as an adult Christian now, I realize most of those things weren’t even biblical, some of them don’t make sense either (e.g standing on mortar will reduce my height, whistling in the night attracts snakes etc). You will agree with me that in this generation, you can’t just tell a teen not to engage in sex without explaining to the teen the dangers inherent in premarital sex etc. A couple of months back, I decided to differentiate between human doctrine and God’s doctrine, between scriptures that are only meant for reproof and those that are meant for doctrine (2 Tim 3:16), not just for myself but also for my children and my generation. I did it prayerfully.
My quest lead to discoveries, series of them I tell you. Pls read without bias, and don't try to replace logic, sense, with spirituality, instead, expantiate the sense it makes spiritually. Help me bring this first stage of my discovery to conclusion.
Hebrews 9:16 In the case of a will it is necessary to prove that the person who made it has died, 17 for a will means nothing while the person who made it is alive; it goes into effect only after his death. 18 That is why even the first covenant[t] went into effect only with the use of blood. (Gal 4:4). Since the death of Christ and the shedding of his blood were the seals of the new covenant (or testament as some versions will have it) why did the new testament start from Matthew instead of Acts?

2 Likes

Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by damipaul(m): 7:50pm On Oct 15, 2013
I researched who divided the Bible into old and new testaments and discovered it was Constantine. Since this write up is not about the person who divided it, I'll leave it at that. Since my life as a christian is guided by the words, works and teachings of Jesus, the relevance of this discovery is enormous to me. I need to be able to differentiate between the things Jesus said to the Israelites he was under the law with and the things he said to us that are under a completely different covenant...

3 Likes

Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by Candour(m): 8:20pm On Oct 15, 2013
hmm...interesting thread. more grace to you brother.

following
Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by Alwaystrue(f): 8:38pm On Oct 15, 2013
@OP,
Nice personal studies but I think it is quite obvious what the testaments are.

The Law and the Prophets were UNTIL JOHN and since then the Kingdom of God has been preached and EVERY man presseth into it.

Jesus is the testator of the new testament. All His words when he came in the flesh, Full of grace and truth is the testament, life, wholesome. Jesus is the Word of God in the flesh...His messages apply to all men. These were what He hinged the convenant in His blood on. Matthew 26:28. Jesus kept talking about BELIEF.

Just like Hebrews 9:19-20 says Moses first gave all the precepts according to the law FIRST then sealed it with the blood of calves and goat and this is what bound the people to the written laws thus making it a convenant or testament,
Same way all Jesus did and said while on earth giving us the law of the spirit...His testament, was sealed in His blood to make it effective. Acts of the apostles and the letters only plays out this testament just like after the old convenant was sealed in the old testament, the people played it out as well from Exodus.

Luke 6:46-47
46 And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?
47 Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like:

1 Like

Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by damipaul(m): 9:55pm On Oct 15, 2013
"Jesus is the testator of the new testament. All His words when he came in the flesh, Full of grace and truth is the testament, life, wholesome. Jesus is the Word of God in the flesh...His messages apply to all men"

Are u saying in essence that we're to do all what Jesus said, in ur words 'his messages apply to all men'?
Gal 4:4 clearly states that Jesus was born under the law, meaning he did things under the law abi? Or what do we say to this, does it refer to all men too- Matt 23:1-3 .....the pharisees are the authorized interpreters of the law.. We should do everythign they tell us do (I'm having a vivid imagination of some of those things and I tell u they're not pleasant)
Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by Goshen360(m): 10:13pm On Oct 15, 2013
@ OP,

You're very and 100% correct. Matthew, Mark, Luke & John are NOT the New Testament or Covenant. I have dealt with same same topic sometimes in the past. Those who want to be confuse will always be remain in their confusion and tradition of men interpretation. Therefore, placing Matthew to John as New Testament was an error wrongly placed and should be corrected in our days. I will contribute more later.

Some people will say, "the Law and Prophet were UNTIL JOHN" but ask them what that means, you can't get an answer except going in circle. If Galatians says Christ was born under the law and another scripture says Law\prophets were UNTIL JOHN, and we know Christ was born AFTER John, then what does that UNTIL JOHN means? Does it mean it ENDED at JOHN or what?

Seriously, I'm going out of patience on religion, I want more of my Lord and Saviour.

Edited
Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by Alwaystrue(f): 10:18pm On Oct 15, 2013
dami_paul: "Jesus is the testator of the new testament. All His words when he came in the flesh, Full of grace and truth is the testament, life, wholesome. Jesus is the Word of God in the flesh...His messages apply to all men"

Are u saying in essence that we're to do all what Jesus said, in ur words 'his messages apply to all men'?
Gal 4:4 clearly states that Jesus was born under the law, meaning he did things under the law abi? Or what do we say to this, does it refer to all men too- Matt 23:1-3 .....the pharisees are the authorized interpreters of the law.. We should do everythign they tell us do (I'm having a vivid imagination of some of those things and I tell u they're not pleasant)
His messages are for all men...you can see that in the scripture I posted and there are lots more. The law came by Moses, Grace and Truth came by Jesus.

Read the Galatians 4:4 very well and in different versions to understand what made under the law means. He came in Flesh to fulfil the law so he had to be born in subjection to the law...that was the essence, so he can manifest the grace and truth also in the flesh....I.e while on earth.

The Pharisees did not even interprete the laws well and that is why they did not do as the should which Jesus corrected.

Jesus came to fulfil the law in its righteous interpretation not as done in the letter but of the spirit. Romans 8:3-4
I have some previous posts which I can paste for you to study beside scriptures, if you are interested.
Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by Goshen360(m): 10:29pm On Oct 15, 2013
Alwaystrue:
His messages are for all men...you can see that in the scripture I posted and there are lots more. The law came by Moses, Grace and Truth came by Jesus.

Read the Galatians 4:4 very well and in different versions to understand what made under the law means. He came in Flesh to fulfil the law so he had to be born in subjection to the law...that was the essence, so he can manifest the grace and truth also in the flesh....I.e while on earth.

The Pharisees did not even interprete the laws well and that is why they did not do as the should which Jesus corrected.

Jesus came to fulfil the law in its righteous interpretation not as done in the letter but of the spirit. Romans 8:3-4
I have some previous posts which I can paste for you to study beside scriptures, if you are interested.

For once, lemme ask you a question in all honesty:

Do you understand what it means to "rightly DIVIDE the word of truth"?
Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by maran1983(f): 9:16am On Oct 16, 2013
....Following...
Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by swtchicgurl: 11:43am On Oct 16, 2013
Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by Goshen360(m): 11:59am On Oct 16, 2013
@ OP,

I still have this thread in mind o. My schedule still occupied. We will put Matthew to John where they rightly belong and teach what was going on in Matthew to John. Then, we will use the revelation of the New Testament to understand\teach\reveal the messages of Christ in Matthew to John.

1 Like

Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by swtchicgurl: 12:24pm On Oct 16, 2013
dami_paul: A couple of months back, I decided to differentiate between human doctrine and God’s doctrine, between scriptures that are only meant for reproof and those that are meant for doctrine (2 Tim 3:16), not just for myself but also for my children and my generation. I did it prayerfully.
My quest lead to discoveries, series of them I tell you. Pls read without bias, and don't try to replace logic, sense, with spirituality, instead, expantiate the sense it makes spiritually. Help me bring this first stage of my discovery to conclusion.

I'm a little concerned with the bolded part. I understand what you mean, but I want to you know that when it comes to the Bible and spirituality, 'logic' and 'common sense' can be defied.
Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by Alwaystrue(f): 1:22pm On Oct 16, 2013
@OP,
Just an excerpt from another thread to aid your studies:

Alwaystrue:
Luke 16:16
Until John the Baptist, the law of Moses and the messages of the prophets were your guides. BUT NOW the Good News of the Kingdom of God is preached, and everyone is eager to get in

John the baptist was the first person to preach repentance and the gospel of the Kingdom of God heralding the New Testament:
Matthew 3:1,2
In those days John the Baptist came, preaching in the wilderness of Judea
2 and saying, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.”

Jesus preached repentance and the gospel of the kingdom:
Matthew 4:17
From then on Jesus began to preach, "Repent of your sins and turn to God, for the Kingdom of Heaven is near."

Jesus told the disciples when He was leaving earth that they should also preach repentance and teh gospel of the Kingdom:
Mark 16:15,16
15 He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.
16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned

He, however, promised to send ANOTHER Comforter to guide us in all truth and remind us of His words:
John 14:26
But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, WHATSOEVER I have said unto you

People had refused to heed the word of God so God had to send JESUS, HIS WORD in THE FLESH FULL OF GRACE AND TRUTH (John 1) to testify of what and how exactly God wanted His will to be done....the laws of the spirit... and his blood was the convenant seal of the testament....some people still do not heed to Jesus:

John 12:49
For I have not spoken on my own authority, but the Father who sent me has himself given me a commandment—what to say and what to speak

John 17:14,17
14 I have given them THY WORD; and the WORLD HATH HATED THEM,
because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world
17 Sanctify them through thy truth: THY WORD IS TRUTH

For all those who want to understand what TRUTH is, there you have it....THE WHOLE WORDS OF JESUS (THE WORD OF GOD) ARE THE TRUTH...anyone who thinks Jesus words are Old Testament and discard it are in the greatest deception ever and do not believe Jesus.

The New testament as shown in the bible is correct for Jesus is our new guide in the will of His Father as seen in HIS TESTAMENT.

1 Like

Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by damipaul(m): 2:37pm On Oct 16, 2013
swtchicgurl:

I'm a little concerned with the bolded part. I understand what you mean, but I want to you know that when it comes to the Bible and spirituality, 'logic' and 'common sense' can be defied.

Just for my learning, did any of Jesus parables defy Logic or common sense? Highlight one pls
Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by damipaul(m): 2:46pm On Oct 16, 2013
Alwaystrue: @OP,
Just an excerpt from another thread to aid your studies:

The New testament as shown in the bible is correct for Jesus is our new guide in the will of His Father as seen in HIS TESTAMENT.

I appreciate your time and insight, thanks a lot. Just tell me how these two passages relate to us:
Luke 5:12 Once Jesus was in a town where there was a man who was suffering from a dreaded skin disease. When he saw Jesus, he threw himself down and begged him, “Sir, if you want to, you can make me clean!”[t]
13 Jesus reached out and touched him. “I do want to,” he answered. “Be clean!” At once the disease left the man.

14 Jesus ordered him, “Don't tell anyone, but go straight to the priest and let him examine you; then to prove to everyone that you are cured, offer the sacrifice as Moses ordered.” Emphasis on verse 14pls.
And the second- Matthew 23:1 Then Jesus spoke to the crowds and to his disciples. 2 “The teachers of the Law and the Pharisees are the authorized interpreters of Moses' Law. 3 So you must obey and follow everything they tell you to do; do not, however, imitate their actions, because they don't practice what they preach.
Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by damipaul(m): 2:50pm On Oct 16, 2013
Goshen360: @ OP,

I still have this thread in mind o. My schedule still occupied. We will put Matthew to John where they rightly belong and teach what was going on in Matthew to John. Then, we will use the revelation of the New Testament to understand\teach\reveal the messages of Christ in Matthew to John.

Patiently waiting...
Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by Alwaystrue(f): 3:08pm On Oct 16, 2013
dami_paul:

I appreciate your time and insight, thanks a lot. Just tell me how these two passages relate to us:
Luke 5:12 Once Jesus was in a town where there was a man who was suffering from a dreaded skin disease. When he saw Jesus, he threw himself down and begged him, “Sir, if you want to, you can make me clean!”[t]
13 Jesus reached out and touched him. “I do want to,” he answered. “Be clean!” At once the disease left the man.

14 Jesus ordered him, “Don't tell anyone, but go straight to the priest and let him examine you; then to prove to everyone that you are cured, offer the sacrifice as Moses ordered.” Emphasis on verse 14pls.
And the second- Matthew 23:1 Then Jesus spoke to the crowds and to his disciples. 2 “The teachers of the Law and the Pharisees are the authorized interpreters of Moses' Law. 3 So you must obey and follow everything they tell you to do; do not, however, imitate their actions, because they don't practice what they preach.
You are welcome.
The answers are in both scriptures....To PROVE TO EVERYONE YOU ARE CURED. Anyone who was unclean was usually avoided and the laws of Moses said to come back to the gathering of people to be accepted, he had to do some purification. If he did not do it, he would not be allowed to meet with the people. He was saying obey the authority of that time which everyone knew.
All Jesus was telling him there was to fulfil all righteousness (Matthew 3:15). Even people with a terrible disease that get healed by miracle or treatment, go to hospital to get a report to show they have a clean bill of health before some people will believe them and accept.

Please read Matthew 23:1-7 and see that Jesus did not make that statement in isolation. Another scripture says BE CAREFUL to do what they tell you. He continued....FOR THEY DO NOT PRACTICE WHAT THEY PREACH. He went on to say how they burden people without doing themsleves. Matthew 15:1-3; John 5:38-47.
They were simply hypocrites. Jesus did not come to abolish the law, He said so Himself but to fulfil it and He fulfilled in AS IT SHOULD BE DONE IN SPIRIT AND TRUTH not in hypocrisy, that is why He is called THE WORD OF GOD.

There is a scripture were Paul talked about Jesus words....calling it WHOLESOME...if people do not rightly divide the words of Jesus, they will stumble for the letter killeth but the spirit gives life. Jesus did not just speak in isolation, He always explained in better detail.

I Timothy 6:3-4
3 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to WHOLESOME WORDS, even the WORDS OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;
4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings

You want to understand God and His laws? Study Jesus The New Testament, with the Holy Spirit to guide you.

1 Like

Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by swtchicgurl: 3:52pm On Oct 16, 2013
[b]There are three major events about our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ:

- His Birth
- His Death
- His Ressurection

Of these three, the 'greatest' was His Death, because, the Son of God died! That can only happen once. It did, it won't happen again. The whole essence of Jesus' first was for Him to die. The death brought us victory through His blood, and grace was made available.

Before death, there must have been a 'living'.

The birth of Jesus, which was fore-run by John the baptist, started a new 'era' - a new timeline and testament.

It was a beginning. Isa. 9:2 and Matthew 4: 16

The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined.

The Bible described Jesus as the 'Last Adam' 1 Cor. 15:45

And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

'Adam' in this context signifies a new beginning. And that is exactly why the testimonies of Matthew, Mark, Luke, John deserves to be in the new testament.

The birth of Jesus slashed our calender in two.

We can do nothing against the truth but for the truth.[/b]

1 Like

Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by Alwaystrue(f): 4:06pm On Oct 16, 2013
@ Swtchicgurl,
I believe the whole of Jesus Christ is important.

His Life which is the way, truth, light and life still.
His Death that sealed His testament and is the sacrifice for sin blotting away transgressions
His Resurrection which is the manifestation of Eternal Life in full.

Afterall the bible says if Jesus did not resurrect our faith is in vain. I Cor. 15:14

Thank you for the other scriptures. Very enlightening.
Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by Alwaystrue(f): 4:15pm On Oct 16, 2013
@swtchicgurl,
To add to the scripture on the great light, hear Jesus:

John 8:12
Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I AM THE LIGHT of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

Thank you Jesus.
Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by swtchicgurl: 4:17pm On Oct 16, 2013
Alwaystrue: @ Swtchicgurl,
I believe the whole of Jesus Christ is important.

His Life which is the way, truth, light and life still.
His Death that sealed His testament and is the sacrifice for sin blotting away transgressions
His Resurrection which is the manifestation of Eternal Life in full.

Afterall the bible says if Jesus did not resurrect our faith is in vain. I Cor. 15:14

Thank you for the other scriptures. Very enlightening.

^^^ Thank you, AlwaysTrue.

I totally agree with you.

I just wanted to highlight those major events.
Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by Nobody: 4:40pm On Oct 16, 2013
@OP.. if you concentrate on the Chronology and order of the Books (controversial and otherwise) of the Bible, you will miss the message. The TRUTH is there are several chronological and factual discrepancies between what was written in the Bible and what was recorded by Historians. It is uncommon knowledge that 60 years after Jesus Died, the books of Mathew, Luke were only just getting around their accounts of the life of Jesus.. imagine that.. If you line up the books of the old testament in the order they were written you will notice a trend i like to refer to as the Evolution of Spirituality. it starts with very few references to Miracles, Prophecy, Demons,Hell and general Theology, but as decades progress the NT develops a strong theological theme 80 years after the Death of Jesus.. phrases such as Lamb of God, Prince of Peace, The Destroyer, Light of the World, Bread of Life become fully developed.. it is only natural to believe that the NT in all its entirety was not a blow-by-blow account of the Life of Jesus the Messiah. your guess is as good as mine where all this discrepancies arose from.. my advice.. concentrate on the untainted message of LOVE for God and his Righteousness and the Salvation of Humanity. FAITH can change the future but it cannot re-write the past

1 Like

Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by Alwaystrue(f): 5:30pm On Oct 16, 2013
@swtchicgurl,
I understand what you were saying but attempted to put it in an easier to understand perspective.
I went on to study other parts of John 1 that shows Jesus as the true light which you referenced from the OT. There are so many insights in the scriptures because they are inspired by God. Truly the scriptures cannot be broken.
The Holy Spirit also bears witness to the word of God and that is why He always guides us.
How the whole OT & NT can be summarised into the size of the bible we carry is simply a miracle and speaks God.

1 Like

Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by swtchicgurl: 5:30pm On Oct 16, 2013
Gal. 4:1-4

"Now what I mean is that as long as the inheritor (heir) is a child and under age, he does not differ from a slave, although he is the master of all the estate;

2 But he is under guardians and administrators or trustees until the date fixed by his father.

3 So we [Jewish Christians] also, when we were minors, were kept like slaves under [the rules of the Hebrew ritual and subject to] the elementary teachings of a system of external observations and regulations.

4 But when the proper time had fully come, God sent His Son, born of a woman, born subject to [the regulations of] the Law,

5 To purchase the freedom of (to ransom, to redeem, to [a]atone for) those who were subject to the Law, that we might be adopted and have sonship conferred upon us [and be recognized as God’s sons]."

Again, John 2:4,

Jesus said to her, [[a]Dear] woman, what is that to you and to Me? [What do we have in common? Leave it to Me.] My time (hour to act) has not yet come.

Then, Matthew 5:17,

'Do not think that I have come to do away with or [ab]undo the Law or the Prophets; I have come not to do away with or undo but to complete and fulfill them.'

Now you see why the gospels should be in New Testament?

1 Like

Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by swtchicgurl: 5:34pm On Oct 16, 2013
Alwaystrue: @swtchicgurl,
I understand what you were saying but attempted to put it in an easier to understand perspective.
I went on to study other parts of John 1 that shows Jesus as the true light which you referenced from the OT. There are so many insights in the scriptures because they are inspired by God. Truly the scriptures cannot be broken.
The Holy Spirit also bears witness to the word of God and that is why He always guides us.

How the whole OT & NT can be summarised into the size of the bible we carry is simply a miracle and speaks God.

1000000 likes! An uncommon miracle that defy logic will locate you, my sister in Jesus name. cheesy
Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by Alwaystrue(f): 5:37pm On Oct 16, 2013
^^^^^^
Amen

What amazes me about that scripture you quoted is where Paul used the highlighted:

'To purchase the freedom of (to ransom, to redeem, to [a]atone for) THOSE who were subject to the Law, that WE might be adopted and have sonship conferred upon us [and be recognized as God’s sons].'

See how Paul changes from 'THOSE' to 'WE'....It means it is continuous, there are still 'those subject to the law' even till today and it is until they Believe Jesus Christ that they can be termed 'WE'.

For the bible has said that they that are led by the Spirit are not 'under the law' - Galatians 5:18; Romans 8:2
Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by swtchicgurl: 5:46pm On Oct 16, 2013
Alwaystrue: ^^^^^^
Amen

What amazes me about that scripture you quoted is where Paul used the highlighted:

See how Paul changes from 'THOSE' to 'WE'....It means it is continuous, there are still 'those subject to the law' even till today and it is until they Believe Jesus Christ that they can be termed 'WE'.

For the bible has said that they that are led by the Spirit are not 'under the law' - Galatians 5:18

You see why I said that prayer?! Flesh and blood has not revealed this to you.
Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by Alwaystrue(f): 6:00pm On Oct 16, 2013
cheesy It is simply God and by His grace and helping me understand better all the bible has been saying...further enlightening the eyes of my understanding (Eph 1:18). Below is Romans 8 and I think this just buttresses what you posted on Galatians 4:4...it was all a guise:

Romans 8:1-4
1 Therefore, [there is] now no condemnation (no adjudging guilty of wrong) for those who are in Christ Jesus, who live [and] walk not after the dictates of the flesh, but after the dictates of the Spirit.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life [which is] in Christ Jesus [the law of our new being] has freed me from the law of sin and of death.
3 For God has done what the Law could not do, [its power] being weakened by the flesh [[a]the entire nature of man without the Holy Spirit].
Sending His own Son in the guise of sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, [God] condemned sin in the flesh [[b]subdued, overcame, [c]deprived it of its power over all who accept that sacrifice],
4 So that the righteous and just requirement of the Law might be fully met in us who live and move not in the ways of the flesh but in the ways of the Spirit [our lives governed not by the standards and according to the dictates of the flesh, but controlled by the Holy Spirit].
Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by noblefada: 6:39pm On Oct 16, 2013
@Op wonderful observation. The new covenant actually started in Acts 2, when the HS came after the death, burial resurrection & ascension of Jesus. But Matthew, Mark, Luke & John were rightly placed in the New testament because the play important role in the work of salvation. They are human evidence that Christ came in the flesh, while the OT mainly contains the prophecy of Christ. As you know the four gospels was written after some epistles and by some of its authors, but God did not allow to go beyond the human evidence which they were suppose to serve, and you will agree with me, if not for the gospels, a lot of folks would have discredit our faith.

2 Likes

Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by noblefada: 6:40pm On Oct 16, 2013
Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by ashieduplus(m): 7:19pm On Oct 16, 2013
p

I agree with you... The true start of the Nt is Acts Chapter 2 because that is when the Holy spirit is given. I observeved this earlier this year when I began studying my bible without denominational bias.
Much of what we've been taught in our churches is plain error.
Re: Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? by damipaul(m): 7:30pm On Oct 16, 2013
swtchicgurl: Gal. 4:1-4

"Now what I mean is that as long as the inheritor (heir) is a child and under age, he does not differ from a slave, although he is the master of all the estate;

2 But he is under guardians and administrators or trustees until the date fixed by his father.

3 So we [Jewish Christians] also, when we were minors, were kept like slaves under [the rules of the Hebrew ritual and subject to] the elementary teachings of a system of external observations and regulations.

4 But when the proper time had fully come, God sent His Son, born of a woman, born subject to [the regulations of] the Law,

5 To purchase the freedom of (to ransom, to redeem, to [a]atone for) those who were subject to the Law, that we might be adopted and have sonship conferred upon us [and be recognized as God’s sons]."

Again, John 2:4,

Jesus said to her, [[a]Dear] woman, what is that to you and to Me? [What do we have in common? Leave it to Me.] My time (hour to act) has not yet come.

Then, Matthew 5:17,

'Do not think that I have come to do away with or [ab]undo the Law or the Prophets; I have come not to do away with or undo but to complete and fulfill them.'

Now you see why the gospels should be in New Testament?

You just keep helping me elaborate my observation. Go back to the main texts, I completely believe in the words of Jesus, the problem I have is differentiating between the things he told the jews or israelites under the law and the things he told us. This is plain english, Jesus was born under the law, he was subject to the law but his death and ressurrection gave me a new covenant!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

..... / Daily Fountain Devotional Guide 2021 (Anglican Communion) / Which Is The Real Jesus?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.