Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,783 members, 7,820,745 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:38 PM

Why Did President Jonathan Miss His Speech At The AU 50th Anniversary? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Did President Jonathan Miss His Speech At The AU 50th Anniversary? (550 Views)

Photos Of Buhari And His ADC At The AU Summit In South Africa / President Buhari At The AU Gala Dinner Last Night (photos) / Buhari Delivering His Speech At Chatham House Now. Pics & Statements (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Did President Jonathan Miss His Speech At The AU 50th Anniversary? by koruji(m): 7:51pm On Jun 02, 2013
You know the question already. Sahara Reporters gave us a version of the story - and the video below from Dr. Damages is hilarious in driving home the SR position. I am a staunch supporter of SR any day - this outlet has, in its own way, helped to keep the excesses of our so-called democratic rulers in check over the last decade and more. So, whatever their shortcomings SR is undeniably good for Nigeria.

However, I think they got the mathematics of this wrong. As much as I am disappointed in the performance of this administration I still refuse to believe that President Jonathan would miss his speech for such mundane reasons as being too drunk/upset over the NGF election. GEJ has said and done many things, but this would be the low of the low and a ground for impeachment if it were true. I believe this to be untrue.

Also I do not believe the lie by Abati that GEJ was having side meetings during the speech. That is the line Aso Rock put out to drive home what I see as the main purpose of this action.

So what is my take? It is this - based on the BH imbroglio at home "our" fellow African nations, always disposed to engaging in conspiracy against big-brother Nigeria saw fit to deny Nigeria the rightful endorsement for the open non-permanent seat at the UN. I think this group of vultures, meeting as they were in their Chinese-built/paid-for edifice and sleeping-off liberally, were going to give it to South Africa or some other "Western" favored country - such as Ghana. Let me say that it is not entirely their fault since there should be no reason for Nigeria to be in this situation in the first place if we had an effective administration. Nevertheless, it does not belong to any other African country to denigrate Nigeria for any reason. Look all over the place, Nigeria is always running around helping them quench fires that overwhelm their domains - South Africa, Liberia, Niger, Ivory Coast, Sierra Leone, Sudan, Somalia, etc. That none of these countries see fit to offer help to solving any of our problems is bad enough, but to use these as opportunities to ride roughshod over us is betrayal of the highest level.

Anyway, as I was saying, faced with its own ineffective diplomacy and impending betrayal the GEJ administration seems to have gone kolo on the AU by deliberately leaving them in limbo when it was time to give Nigeria's speech. Why do I have a strong feeling this was the case? It is because President GEJ made no alternative arrangements beforehand, he did not even inform his protocol officials - everyone was caught unawares. This bears the hallmark of a stealth operation. I was going to put this down to some security situation (which would be another valid explanation), but when we note the fact that President GEJ came out to take photographs right after the session this reason falls flat (similarly the drunk and sick reason falls flat for this reason).

With more competent hands African diplomacy should be a cakewalk for Nigeria without any need for such measures, but I'll say it was worth it - if indeed this was the reason.

In any case, the above is my theory. Let us hear your theory, but meanwhile enjoy the hilarious clip from Dr. Damages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-qadKmSaUs

(1) (Reply)

Who will be the Next Nigerian President? See Polls / E / What Would You Do

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.