Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,433 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:30 AM

Nigeria's Economy Is Growing Hot!! Watch Mckinsey's CEO Speech At Stanford Univ. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's Economy Is Growing Hot!! Watch Mckinsey's CEO Speech At Stanford Univ. (2184 Views)

Ben Bruce Blast Lai Mohammed:Lai Denies Saying Economy Is Out Of PMB Control(pix / Patience Jonathan's Alleged Campaign Speech At PDP Rally In Rivers / Nigeria's Economy Is In Danger - Okonjo-Iweala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's Economy Is Growing Hot!! Watch Mckinsey's CEO Speech At Stanford Univ. by PapaBrowne(m): 11:18pm On Jun 02, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4-MyLj-LdE&feature=youtu.be
If you don't have too much MB, WATCH FROM 5.20 mins- 8.20 mins. Outstanding lecture!!

The CEO of McKinsey Global( one of the world's top consulting firms) is speaking to a group of Stanford University(Ivy League in US)students. He tells them, if they must succeed in the coming world, Nigeria is one of the destinations they must look at! He goes on to address the misconception about Nigeria and describes it as one place in the world where some of the most amazing businesses are being launched.

Nigeria is growing my people. We need to be positive about this country. The opportunities are immense!! Agriculture, IT, FMCGs, Finance, and a host of other sectors are awash with opportunities.

Stop looking for a job. Start a business. Create solutions. Lets take advantage of our opportunities before all these oyibo swallow it all up. We need to get wise and be positive. Forget the electricity situation. Console yourself with the fact that we have the best return on investment in the whole wide world.

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Economy Is Growing Hot!! Watch Mckinsey's CEO Speech At Stanford Univ. by Nomski0(f): 11:31pm On Jun 02, 2013
Great enthusiasm towards this country.
But Stanford university is not an ivy league college, the ivy leagues are in north eastern us, stanford is in the west/carlifornia/
Re: Nigeria's Economy Is Growing Hot!! Watch Mckinsey's CEO Speech At Stanford Univ. by Nobody: 11:57pm On Jun 02, 2013
PapaBrowne,

Why not start by telling us YOUR story? What business(es) do you own? How was the registration process? How many jobs have YOU been able to create?
Re: Nigeria's Economy Is Growing Hot!! Watch Mckinsey's CEO Speech At Stanford Univ. by Nomski0(f): 12:02am On Jun 03, 2013
HNosegbe: PapaBrowne,

Why not start by telling us YOUR story? What business(es) do you own? How was the registration process? How many jobs have YOU been able to create?

Ouch.
Touché.
Re: Nigeria's Economy Is Growing Hot!! Watch Mckinsey's CEO Speech At Stanford Univ. by PapaBrowne(m): 1:45am On Jun 03, 2013
HNosegbe: PapaBrowne,

I wouldn't want to expose my identity here on Nairaland, so I wouldn't state my exact job and company. But I'm doing pretty well. My goal now is to promote entrepreneurship through collaboration, cooperation, innovation and creative thinking.
The internet has broken the strongest barrier to progress and that is access to information. Now that we have all the info we need, lets make use of it to start some amazing businesses.

The opportunities here are like fishes in an ocean..endless!! Big hurdles, but if you overcome, you ROI would be crazy!
Everywhere you see a problem is an opportunity in the waiting.

As per company registration process, pretty easy these days. Takes about 24hrs in Abuja and Lagos.

About job creation, hmmm. How do you quantify that?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Economy Is Growing Hot!! Watch Mckinsey's CEO Speech At Stanford Univ. by CyberG: 5:52am On Jun 03, 2013
Nomski0: Great enthusiasm towards this country.
But Stanford university is not an ivy league college, the ivy leagues are in north eastern us, stanford is in the west/carlifornia/

Stanford is not an ivy league university you said? Abeg madam, Google for correct information before you present wrong information to people who do not know either and might not check out the facts! Very funny though! grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Economy Is Growing Hot!! Watch Mckinsey's CEO Speech At Stanford Univ. by adejoro75: 6:35am On Jun 03, 2013
MIT, Stanford and Caltech are not among the ivy league unis, but course-for-course no ivy league uni is better than them.
Re: Nigeria's Economy Is Growing Hot!! Watch Mckinsey's CEO Speech At Stanford Univ. by adejoro75: 1:55pm On Jun 03, 2013
Bump
Re: Nigeria's Economy Is Growing Hot!! Watch Mckinsey's CEO Speech At Stanford Univ. by samseen02(m): 2:00pm On Jun 03, 2013
Free Manual Download On HOW TO MAKE AND EARN FROM LIQUID SOAP. follow this link to download it http://wealthmeans..com/2013/05/how-to-make-and-earn-from-hand-made.html
Re: Nigeria's Economy Is Growing Hot!! Watch Mckinsey's CEO Speech At Stanford Univ. by PapaBrowne(m): 2:26pm On Jun 03, 2013
adejoro75: MIT, Stanford and Caltech are not among the ivy league unis, but course-for-course no ivy league uni is better than them.
Totally agree. Except maybe for Harvard.
Stanford's location as in Bay area and Silicon valley helps make it the leading institution for entrepreneurship and start up companies.

Topic:
The Mckinsey CEO says, : If you want to succeed in tommorow's business world, you must know a Chinese , A brazilian, an Indonesian and a Nigeria Business Executive. He puts Nigeria at the top of the league.

Some of the highlights of the speech:
There is a tectonic shift in global economics with power shifting from the traditional west to the global south.
3 Billion new middle class would be created from Emerging markets.

Nigeria would have more newborns this year than all of Europe combined.
Implication:
Make toys, Start a baby clothing line, Ecommerce in baby products, Open a creche,Make Napkin, Wipes and Diapers and you'll make a hell of money.

Nigerians are starting some of the most amazing companies in the globe.
Implications:
Serve as a consultant. Provide services for companies in accounting, logistics& distribution, Human Resource, Digital arts, Media/Communications, Outsourcing. IT. And a whole lot more.
One Example: E commerce is gaining tremendous grounds in Nigeria. But there is no organized distribution channel to get products across the country. Huge opportunity for a company that would engage in nationwide door to door delivery..

I tell my new executive directors, in the first 2 months of operations, they must have either met a Chinese, Brazilian or Nigerian executive.
Implication:
Companies are seeking to come to Nigeria in droves. Those Stanford students are going to leave that hall thinking, I got to do some more research about Nigeria. The opportunities there must be crazy! They are gonna want to start up new companies here. Its already happening. Procter and Gamble is opening a new manufacturing plant in Nigeria focusing on Diaper production. 350 million dollars investment. And it is happening on the strength of the number of middle class newborns that would enter the market.
Opportunities would exist for individuals who can partner with all these companies looking to set foot in Nigeria.

Immense opportunities. A positive outlook is the first step to taking advantage of these opportunities. In the next 15 years, the world is going to need 76 new Procter and Gambles to cater for the 3 billion new middle class. Procter and gamble sold $84 Billion in 2012. You could actually be the owner of one of them instead of one of those Stanford grads! Lets take advantage!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Economy Is Growing Hot!! Watch Mckinsey's CEO Speech At Stanford Univ. by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jun 03, 2013
Any nigerian entrepreneur on nairaland ought to download this, and watch it a hundred times, don't sulk if someone else takes

the trouble and is a success tmoro.

Video was very insightful.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Economy Is Growing Hot!! Watch Mckinsey's CEO Speech At Stanford Univ. by Nchara: 3:32pm On Jun 03, 2013
PapaBrowne:
Totally agree. Except maybe for Harvard.
Stanford's location as in Bay area and Silicon valley helps make it the leading institution for entrepreneurship and start up companies.

Topic:
The Mckinsey CEO says, : If you want to succeed in tommorow's business world, you must know a Chinese , A brazilian, an Indonesian and a Nigeria Business Executive. He puts Nigeria at the top of the league.

Some of the highlights of the speech:
There is a tectonic shift in global economics with power shifting from the traditional west to the global south.
3 Billion new middle class would be created from Emerging markets.

Nigeria would have more newborns this year than all of Europe combined.
Implication:
Make toys, Start a baby clothing line, Ecommerce in baby products, Open a creche,Make Napkin, Wipes and Diapers and you'll make a hell of money.

Nigerians are starting some of the most amazing companies in the globe.
Implications:
Serve as a consultant. Provide services for companies in accounting, logistics& distribution, Human Resource, Digital arts, Media/Communications, Outsourcing. IT. And a whole lot more.
One Example: E commerce is gaining tremendous grounds in Nigeria. But there is no organized distribution channel to get products across the country. Huge opportunity for a company that would engage in nationwide door to door delivery..

I tell my new executive directors, in the first 2 months of operations, they must have either met a Chinese, Brazilian or Nigerian executive.
Implication:
Companies are seeking to come to Nigeria in droves. Those Stanford students are going to leave that hall thinking, I got to do some more research about Nigeria. The opportunities there must be crazy! They are gonna want to start up new companies here. Its already happening. Procter and Gamble is opening a new manufacturing plant in Nigeria focusing on Diaper production. 350 million dollars investment. And it is happening on the strength of the number of middle class newborns that would enter the market.
Opportunities would exist for individuals who can partner with all these companies looking to set foot in Nigeria.

Immense opportunities. A positive outlook is the first step to taking advantage of these opportunities. In the next 15 years, the world is going to need 76 new Procter and Gambles to cater for the 3 billion new middle class. Procter and gamble sold $84 Billion in 2012. You could actually be the owner of one of them instead of one of those Stanford grads! Lets take advantage!

Good things are happening in Nigeria that every sane person should appreciate. Thanks for the video. But Stanford- one of the best- is not a member of the ivy league.
Re: Nigeria's Economy Is Growing Hot!! Watch Mckinsey's CEO Speech At Stanford Univ. by PapaBrowne(m): 4:09pm On Jun 03, 2013
Nchara:

Good things are happening in Nigeria that every sane person should appreciate. Thanks for the video. But Harvard- one of the best- is not a member of the ivy league, even though it is in the East of USA.

Great things are happening truly and the wise would seek to take advantage.

Harvard is an Ivy League. Stanford isnt but its better than many of the Ivy Leagues. But for better understanding and for the benefit of those that unknowingly assume Ivy league signifies the best Universities in the US, I referred to Stanford as Ivy League. Many people do use the same classification also especially for MIT and Stanford.

Hear Wikipedia:
The eight institutions are Brown University, Columbia University, Cornell University, Dartmouth College, Harvard University, Princeton University, the University of Pennsylvania, and Yale University. The term Ivy League also has connotations of academic excellence, selectivity in admissions, and social elitism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_League
Re: Nigeria's Economy Is Growing Hot!! Watch Mckinsey's CEO Speech At Stanford Univ. by deor03(m): 4:41pm On Jun 03, 2013
Seems, it's only Dangote that is only Nigerian seeing the goldmine in Nigeria.

Others are foreigners , Imagine, The Group Managing Director, Wempco Group investments in Nigeria, Mr. Lewis Tung, gave the breakdown as follows: $1.5 billion steel, ceramic tiles plant worth $500m and a nail production plant worth $200m. Benue State also got a slice of the new investments with an injection of Teragro N1billion.

Source : http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/06/local-foreign-investors-create-n912-4bn-worth-of-new-investments-in-nigeria/
Re: Nigeria's Economy Is Growing Hot!! Watch Mckinsey's CEO Speech At Stanford Univ. by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jun 03, 2013
PapaBrowne:

I wouldn't want to expose my identity here on Nairaland, so I wouldn't state my exact job and company. But I'm doing pretty well. My goal now is to promote entrepreneurship through collaboration, cooperation, innovation and creative thinking.
The internet has broken the strongest barrier to progress and that is access to information. Now that we have all the info we need, lets make use of it to start some amazing businesses.

The opportunities here are like fishes in an ocean..endless!! Big hurdles, but if you overcome, you ROI would be crazy!
Everywhere you see a problem is an opportunity in the waiting.

As per company registration process, pretty easy these days. Takes about 24hrs in Abuja and Lagos.

About job creation, hmmm. How do you quantify that?

Ok. Thanks for responding.

Will watch the video when I can get some MB.
Re: Nigeria's Economy Is Growing Hot!! Watch Mckinsey's CEO Speech At Stanford Univ. by LondonX: 5:02pm On Jun 03, 2013
Another paid sycophant.

Nigeria is only hot for exploiters willing to maximise their profits within a short period of time. I still don't know how an economy with no manufacturing/industrial base can be hot loool. Useless country.

All this nonsense is just a freaking bubble!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Economy Is Growing Hot!! Watch Mckinsey's CEO Speech At Stanford Univ. by PapaBrowne(m): 5:09pm On Jun 03, 2013
London-X:
Another paid sycophant.

Nigeria is only hot for exploiters willing to maximise their profits within a short period of time. I still don't know how [b]an economy with no manufacturing/industrial base [/b]can be hot loool. Useless country.

All this nonsense is just a freaking bubble!

Who is a paid psychophant? Myself that sees opportunities and is taking advantage or the McKinsey Boss that has all the fortune 500 companies in his kitty?

Create the base and you'll be in for the money. Stop being a hungry pessimist.
If you understood the thinking of great entrepreneurs, you'll see opportunity in the fact that there is no manufacturing/industrial base and yet there there is a population of 170 million people who must consume products.
You'll seek to establish that base and earn tonnes of money. And, that there is the thinking of those people you call exploiters.
Since you choose to blind your eyes to opportunity and see only problems, they convert those problems you see to opportunities and make tonnes of money by maximizing their profits.

Get wise and stop being foolish, If the exploiters can see the opportunities why cant you see it. Except all you seek is for government to put food on your table.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Economy Is Growing Hot!! Watch Mckinsey's CEO Speech At Stanford Univ. by Peterwins(m): 5:11pm On Jun 03, 2013
The challenges of inadequate infrastructure, unemployment, unplanned population growth, etc are the same opportunities for economic growth and development. Opportunities will continue to abound for both Nigerians and willing foreign investors as the country continues to economically and financially integrate with the rest of the world. We are part of the Next Eleven (N-11) as identified by Goldman Sachs in 2005.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Economy Is Growing Hot!! Watch Mckinsey's CEO Speech At Stanford Univ. by djon78(m): 5:21pm On Jun 03, 2013
Men men, serious things are really going down in this country, the wise ones will key in while the mentally visionless ones will only see darkness.

When I knew things was going down was when u see the num of Asians, especially Chinese and Indians you jam everyday on the street or when flying to far east, the number of Asians you see in the plane whether to or fro, I always ask myself, for this people to be trooping here in droves, something some of us dont know is going down. Nigeria is changing, I pity some of our brothers that go abroad, being slaves in abroad, there are tremendous opportunity but it will take the patient ones, those with staying power, that dont easily give up, those with entrepreneural mindset, these are the ones that will stand out in the emerging Nigeria, maybe in few years we will join the billion dollars club insha Allah

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Economy Is Growing Hot!! Watch Mckinsey's CEO Speech At Stanford Univ. by Peterwins(m): 5:27pm On Jun 03, 2013
Imagine the untapped wealth in Northern Nigeria. If only their leaders can dislodge or re-educate the religious fundamentalists, ban the almajari system, increase religious tolerance, formalise mining activities, etc then they might even give the Niger Delta a run for their money (or resources). A great nation we have but the politicians keep messing it up. Hmmmmm!!!
Re: Nigeria's Economy Is Growing Hot!! Watch Mckinsey's CEO Speech At Stanford Univ. by PapaBrowne(m): 5:45pm On Jun 03, 2013
^^^^^
Agribusiness alone can earn more than oil.
Let me just state some interesting facts for you:

Nigeria is the largest producer of Sorghum in the world. We produce over 20% of the world's output despite having some of the worst yields per hectare in the world Sorghum is beginning to be seen as a very cool alternative to corn and barley for animal feed and beer production respectively. That alone can earn us over $2 Billion yearly.

Nigeria is the second largest producer of citrus fruits worldwide but we import 99% of all the concentrate we use in manufacturing fruit juice in the country.

Nigeria is the largest producer of cassava in the world. We make less than $100 million exporting cassava yearly. Thailand on the other hand makes $5 Billion yearly despite producing much less quantity.

Nigeria produces 65% of all the Tomato output for west and central Africa. 40% ends up wasted. And yet we are the largest importers of tomato paste in the world.

We are one of the largest producers of banana in the world. We earn $0 in foreign exchange. The Caribbeans earn upwards of $4 billion yearly.

The list is endless. The story is same for a whole lot other crops. We are tops despite zero mechanized farming. Imagine we mechanize our farming. Imagine all that land mass in Northern Nigeria was farmed. We could feed the world and earn 10 times what we earn from oil.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Economy Is Growing Hot!! Watch Mckinsey's CEO Speech At Stanford Univ. by Peterwins(m): 5:49pm On Jun 03, 2013
Once we get the politics (and policies) right then our development as a nation will be unstoppable but for now some foreign investors will put a hold on their proposed investments in Nigeria until after the 2015 elections while some may tactically (or temporarily) withdraw their FDI around the end of 2014/ early 2015. The stock market may experience some glitches around this period.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Economy Is Growing Hot!! Watch Mckinsey's CEO Speech At Stanford Univ. by PapaBrowne(m): 5:56pm On Jun 03, 2013
Peterwins: Once we get the politics (and policies) right then our development as a nation will be unstoppable but for now some foreign investors will put a hold on their proposed investments in Nigeria until after the 2015 elections while some may tactically (or temporarily) withdraw their FDI around the end of 2014/ early 2015. The stock market may experience some glitches around this period.

You are right about the politics. I was at a mini kind of seminar about six weeks ago and there were these Americans who said lots of the big chains in America inclusive of Walmart, Starbucks, McDonalds and a host of other are already in Nigeria studying the real estate situation with a view of purchasing the best spots such that immediately after the elections, if the current economic team is returned, they would swarm in here in droves. Didn't exactly understand why they are particular about the current economic team, but it was clear that if 2015 comes and goes peacefully, then Nigeria will see an unprecented arrival of investments.
Re: Nigeria's Economy Is Growing Hot!! Watch Mckinsey's CEO Speech At Stanford Univ. by djon78(m): 5:58pm On Jun 03, 2013
PapaBrowne: ^^^^^

Nigeria is the largest producer of Sorghum in the world. We produce over 20% of the world's output despite having some of the worst yields per hectare in the world Sorghum is beginning to be seen as a very cool alternative to corn and barley for animal feed and beer production respectively. That alone can earn us over $2 Billion yearly.

Nigeria is the second largest producer of citrus fruits worldwide but we import 99% of all the concentrate we use in manufacturing fruit juice in the country.

Nigeria is the largest producer of cassava in the world. We make less than $100 million exporting cassava yearly. Thailand on the other hand makes $5 Billion yearly despite producing much less quantity.

Nigeria produces 65% of all the Tomato output for west and central Africa. 40% ends up wasted. And yet we are the largest importers of tomato paste in the world.

We are one of the largest producers of banana in the world. We earn $0 in foreign exchange. The Caribbeans earn upwards of $4 billion yearly.

The list is endless. The story is same for a whole lot other crops. We are tops despite zero mechanized farming. Imagine we mechanize our farming. Imagine all that land mass in Northern Nigeria was farmed. We could feed the world and earn 10 times what we earn from oil.

dude can u imagine and we say there is poverty in the land, while we have these tremendous opportunities. Anyway I thank God for this educative tread like this one, let the wise ones maximise these opportunities staring at us korokoro.
Re: Nigeria's Economy Is Growing Hot!! Watch Mckinsey's CEO Speech At Stanford Univ. by Peterwins(m): 6:04pm On Jun 03, 2013
PapaBrowne: ^^^^^

You are very correct. These facts speaks and Mr Dangote is using his financial and political connections to tap into these resources. By the time his refinery comes on stream then the importation of petroleum products will end.
Re: Nigeria's Economy Is Growing Hot!! Watch Mckinsey's CEO Speech At Stanford Univ. by Nomski0(f): 6:59pm On Jun 03, 2013
CyberG:

Stanford is not an ivy league university you said? Abeg madam, Google for correct information before you present wrong information to people who do not know either and might not check out the facts! Very funny though! grin grin

Mr know-it-all.
Nonsense, who told you stanford is an ivy league college? What you have absolutely no clue about,dont argue.
Re: Nigeria's Economy Is Growing Hot!! Watch Mckinsey's CEO Speech At Stanford Univ. by Nchara: 7:13pm On Jun 03, 2013
PapaBrowne:

Great things are happening truly and the wise would seek to take advantage.

Harvard is an Ivy League. Stanford isnt but its better than many of the Ivy Leagues. But for better understanding and for the benefit of those that unknowingly assume Ivy league signifies the best Universities in the US, I referred to Stanford as Ivy League. Many people do use the same classification also especially for MIT and Stanford.

Hear Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_League

My bad! I wanted to write Stanford but ended up with Harvard. Harvard is of course an ivy league.

These projections are based on Nigeria's huge and growing population. For those who are interested in balkanizing the country, the respective countries that will emanate will lose the edge as investors move to the next big countries. Now profit from investments is becoming a matter of population.
Re: Nigeria's Economy Is Growing Hot!! Watch Mckinsey's CEO Speech At Stanford Univ. by ogb5(m): 8:18pm On Jun 03, 2013
I just spent 1 hr watching this.
Re: Nigeria's Economy Is Growing Hot!! Watch Mckinsey's CEO Speech At Stanford Univ. by PapaBrowne(m): 8:43pm On Jun 03, 2013
ogb5: I just spent 1 hr watching this.

Hope you enjoyed it. Thats some quality information right in there. Every bit of your MB was useful as the info there is worth millions. The good question is what are we going to do about it. How do we harness these opportunities steering us in the face. Did you see the Picture of Shanghai 1997- 2004. Did you see that dramatic transformation in 7 years?
Re: Nigeria's Economy Is Growing Hot!! Watch Mckinsey's CEO Speech At Stanford Univ. by PapaBrowne(m): 9:08pm On Jun 03, 2013
Nchara:

My bad! I wanted to write Stanford but ended up with Harvard. Harvard is of course an ivy league.

These projections are based on Nigeria's huge and growing population. For those who are interested in balkanizing the country, the respective countries that will emanate will lose the edge as investors move to the next big countries. Now profit from investments is becoming a matter of population.

I don't think it's just the population because countries like Pakistan and Bangladesh share similar populations but aren't having excellent projections. But population is surely a strong factor.
I think Nigerians are very determined go-getters by nature and that makes for success in the business world.
Also, I think we are blessed with some crazy resources whether in oil or Agriculture.

The McKinsey guy said focus on cities. Ignore countries. In that light, Nigeria is not too different from say south Africa because our cities are not to different in size, but Nigeria is a much more attractive investment option. So its more than just population.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fashola Borrows 87 Billion To Buy Lekki Toll Road Plus / The Politics Of Cannibalism In Africa / Photos Of People Attacked In Akwa Ibom State Today - Viewer Discretion Advised!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.