Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,613 members, 7,809,246 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:38 AM

Opon Imo Will Save Osun N8.4Billion Of Textbook Procurement Costs - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Opon Imo Will Save Osun N8.4Billion Of Textbook Procurement Costs (10501 Views)

Nigeria's 5 Best Universities For Postgraduate Studies; Their Costs & Duration / UNESCO Seeks Osun’s Permission To Adopt, Reproduce Opon Imo / Osun Donates Opon Imo To teachers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opon Imo Will Save Osun N8.4Billion Of Textbook Procurement Costs by mutw(m): 11:33am On Jun 04, 2013
Opon Imo Will Save Osun N8.4 billion Of Textbook Procurement Costs
Posted by: Channels Television Posted date: June 03, 2013 In: Current, Local | comment : 1
The State of Osun on Monday took a giant step in its effort to tackle mass illiteracy and ease learning process in senior secondary schools across the state with the launch of Opon Imo.

Opon Imo also known as the tablet of knowledge is an e-learning device, the first if its kind in Nigeria provided by the state government to equip students with knowledge and make it easier for them to pass school leaving certificates examination.

According to the Governor of the State of Osun, Ogbeni Rauf ARegbesola, the journey of the electronic device adapted for education purpose, was conceived in 2011.

He revealed that Opon Imo specifically meant for senior secondary students, will help ease the challenge of external examination and it will also save the state about N8.4 billion annually in textbook procurement costs.

The Governor also stated that the device will ease the students of carrying loaded backpacks of books which according to research result in back pains for the students.

Opon Imo is a standalone, educational, multimedia e-learning content platform that comes with pre-loaded applications for WAEC and JAMB approved text books.
http://www.channelstv.com/home/2013/06/03/opon-imo-will-save-osun-n8-4-billion-of-textbook-procurement-costs/

4 Likes

Re: Opon Imo Will Save Osun N8.4Billion Of Textbook Procurement Costs by mutw(m): 11:34am On Jun 04, 2013
This is a welcome development
Re: Opon Imo Will Save Osun N8.4Billion Of Textbook Procurement Costs by abatajjvii: 2:18pm On Jun 04, 2013
we will get there
Re: Opon Imo Will Save Osun N8.4Billion Of Textbook Procurement Costs by dulphines: 2:19pm On Jun 04, 2013
Me like.
Re: Opon Imo Will Save Osun N8.4Billion Of Textbook Procurement Costs by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jun 04, 2013
That was a good development but there are still other things to be done.
Re: Opon Imo Will Save Osun N8.4Billion Of Textbook Procurement Costs by OkikiOluwa1(m): 2:21pm On Jun 04, 2013
Every news generated from this Opon Imo is good.
Re: Opon Imo Will Save Osun N8.4Billion Of Textbook Procurement Costs by davidzfarm(m): 2:23pm On Jun 04, 2013
Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola has taken education in the state to the next level, carry on my Gov.
Re: Opon Imo Will Save Osun N8.4Billion Of Textbook Procurement Costs by Nobody: 2:23pm On Jun 04, 2013
If it is pdp government, you will hear things like 'the government has approved N80bn to buy tablets for secondary school students' and that would be the end of it.

11 Likes

Re: Opon Imo Will Save Osun N8.4Billion Of Textbook Procurement Costs by HAH: 2:23pm On Jun 04, 2013
Very good idea, this tablet can contain upto 1000 textbooks and other learning aids, and I believe this tablet is made for less than $100.

Osun is thinking ahead.

Weldone, the state of the living spring

8 Likes

Re: Opon Imo Will Save Osun N8.4Billion Of Textbook Procurement Costs by adeolu17(m): 2:24pm On Jun 04, 2013
Nice step from Ogbeni, osun adara ooo.
Re: Opon Imo Will Save Osun N8.4Billion Of Textbook Procurement Costs by Delible(m): 2:24pm On Jun 04, 2013
Hope it will not put the little kid under security threats ooo. Its good they consider it. This one wey area boys they kill adults because of nokia fone. They need to make it unmaketable and user customized.

5 Likes

Re: Opon Imo Will Save Osun N8.4Billion Of Textbook Procurement Costs by dare2think: 2:27pm On Jun 04, 2013
[size=13pt]I hope this progressive innovation does not get relegated into the shameful abyss called tribalism.[/size]
Re: Opon Imo Will Save Osun N8.4Billion Of Textbook Procurement Costs by gratiaeo(m): 2:27pm On Jun 04, 2013
all this things na wash!

1 Like

Re: Opon Imo Will Save Osun N8.4Billion Of Textbook Procurement Costs by UgooJosh: 2:28pm On Jun 04, 2013
It's also a right step towards computer literacy attainment. When the young lads get familiarised with such learning devices, they would easily get along with a computer set.
Re: Opon Imo Will Save Osun N8.4Billion Of Textbook Procurement Costs by gen2briz(m): 2:37pm On Jun 04, 2013
The state of osun
Re: Opon Imo Will Save Osun N8.4Billion Of Textbook Procurement Costs by mapet: 2:38pm On Jun 04, 2013
How? If I may ask?

Ideas and Ideals are not exclusive preserve of a few, even if it originates from a single entity. Kano State government sent reps to Lagos to learn about the BRT scheme. Aregbesola himself sent his waste mgt team to Lagos to learn about waste mgt.

I think it's honorable for states to extend this scheme to their domain as well. It's lofty, it's despirately need to be extended to all school children in Nigeria
dare2think:

[size=13pt]I hope this progressive innovation does not get relegated into the shameful abyss called tribalism.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Opon Imo Will Save Osun N8.4Billion Of Textbook Procurement Costs by dare2think: 2:43pm On Jun 04, 2013
mapet: How? If I may ask?

Ideas and Ideals are not exclusive preserve of a few, even if it originates from a single entity. Kano State government sent reps to Lagos to learn about the BRT scheme. Aregbesola himself sent his waste mgt team to Lagos to learn about waste mgt.

I think it's honorable for states to extend this scheme to their domain as well. It's lofty, it's despirately need to be extended to all school children in Nigeria

You probably did not get my drift. I was referring to some nefarious characters on Nairaland who turns a blind eye to progress and turns any sign of development into a di..ck comparing contest.

1 Like

Re: Opon Imo Will Save Osun N8.4Billion Of Textbook Procurement Costs by dridowu: 2:47pm On Jun 04, 2013
Progressive people take d bull by d horn. Kudos to Osun state
Re: Opon Imo Will Save Osun N8.4Billion Of Textbook Procurement Costs by gratiaeo(m): 2:47pm On Jun 04, 2013
mutw:
http://www.channelstv.com/home/2013/06/03/opon-imo-will-save-osun-n8-4-billion-of-textbook-procurement-costs/
Yes, we acknowledge that the
Governor has
promised to give schools a
face-lift...and even though
all that still remains at the
realm of 'promises'...and
we thank him for that, but
such face lift should not
also involve giving shoes to
people who don't have feet.
So, let out great governor
in his best of intentions,
divert the funds for these
computers to other
immediate needs, like
desks, quality teachers, until we have electricity, conducive
environment for those hitech
tools.
computers/ipad don't
(as yet) charge/run on candles!

All the secondary
schools... would these
computers/ipad charge on
electricity or candles?

2 Likes

Re: Opon Imo Will Save Osun N8.4Billion Of Textbook Procurement Costs by lacasa: 2:48pm On Jun 04, 2013
blink182: If it is pdp government, you will hear things like 'the government has approved N80bn to buy tablets for secondary school students' and that would be the end of it.

Dnt mind that cult of a party.

Let's hear Maku Spin this one again

#... Progressives 4 Nigeria 2015
Re: Opon Imo Will Save Osun N8.4Billion Of Textbook Procurement Costs by dridowu: 2:49pm On Jun 04, 2013
gratiaeo: all this things na wash!
u dnt need to komet. Learn to appreciate good things @ least 4 once
Re: Opon Imo Will Save Osun N8.4Billion Of Textbook Procurement Costs by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jun 04, 2013
Seriously I think we can mass produce this thing ourselves that won't cost 2k
Re: Opon Imo Will Save Osun N8.4Billion Of Textbook Procurement Costs by brownlord: 3:00pm On Jun 04, 2013
Arrant nonsense, opon imo abi na kpomo imo, i still do not know the brain behind aregbe's useless policy, Osun state is still the most backward state in terms of education, am presently serving here and i can say this is a wrong step by the state governor, a state where they dont have up to 3 teachers, they rely solely on corpers and OYES ( teaching practice student ) for teaching this children, in my school only 5 staff, 1 principal, 2 vps and 3 teachers, only 2 of the teachers go to school, the school is about the best in the local government and i wonder what would be happening in the rest, this is the only state that an ss3 student can not speak common pidgin english fluently not to talk of writing it down, student still sit on the ground and a few bring chairs from home, there is no desk in class, our government only engage in project that would benefit them, am sure the money he looted from the so called omoluabi uniform is finished and they looking for avenue to loot more, theres been several occasions for days there would be no chalk in school, during test and exams this children sit on the ground to write exams, why cant aregbe employ more qualified staffs/teachers instead of relying on corpers who come and go and Osun state college of education who most times they themselves cant even speak english, in my school a teacher was caught teaching english with yoruba, if i have the time i will post some script of this student test and exam on this forum for this man to be engaging in all this useless project that would not stand the test of time, in their just concluded waec, even the invigilators from waec are the one pleading with corpers to assist the student, is just a shame for people who are not in the state to be celebrating aregbe for this failed policy

3 Likes

Re: Opon Imo Will Save Osun N8.4Billion Of Textbook Procurement Costs by gratiaeo(m): 3:02pm On Jun 04, 2013
dridowu: u dnt need to komet. Learn to appreciate good things @ least 4 once
Good things ko' another misplaced priority!
This is what i mean

Re: Opon Imo Will Save
Osun N8.4Billion Of
Textbook Procurement
Costs
by brownlord: 3:00pm
"Arrant nonsense, opon imo abi
na kpomo imo, i still do not
know the brain behind aregbe's
useless policy, Osun state is still
the most backward state in
terms of education, am
presently serving here and i can
say this is a wrong step by the
state governor, a state where
they dont have up to 3 teachers,
they rely solely on corpers and
OYES ( teaching practice
student ) for teaching this
children, in my school only 5
staff, 1 principal, 2 vps and 3
teachers, only 2 of the teachers
go to school, the school is about
the best in the local government
and i wonder what would be
happening in the rest, this is the
only state that an ss3 student
can not speak common pidgin
english fluently not to talk of
writing it down, student still sit
on the ground and a few bring
chairs from home, there is no
desk in class, our government
only engage in project that
would benefit them, am sure the
money he looted from the so
called omoluabi uniform is
finished and they looking for
avenue to loot more, theres
been several occasions for days
there would be no chalk in
school, during test and exams
this children sit on the ground
to write exams, why cant aregbe
employ more qualified staffs/
teachers instead of relying on
corpers who come and go and
Osun state college of education
who most times they
themselves cant even speak
english, in my school a teacher
was caught teaching english
with yoruba, if i have the time i
will post some script of this
student test and exam on this
forum for this man to be
engaging in all this useless
project that would not stand the
test of time, in their just
concluded waec, even the
invigilators from waec are the
one pleading with corpers to
assist the student, is just a
shame for people who are not in
the state to be celebrating
aregbe for this failed policy"
Re: Opon Imo Will Save Osun N8.4Billion Of Textbook Procurement Costs by EkoAtlantic: 3:02pm On Jun 04, 2013
Osun A dara!

Re: Opon Imo Will Save Osun N8.4Billion Of Textbook Procurement Costs by dridowu: 3:04pm On Jun 04, 2013
gratiaeo:
Good things ko' another misplaced priority!
dn what is d priority ?
Re: Opon Imo Will Save Osun N8.4Billion Of Textbook Procurement Costs by lockedOut: 3:05pm On Jun 04, 2013
If most of these students have mobile phones then I dont think charging their pads will become a problem!

As for the scheme in itself I hope one commissioner does not hijack the deal to open a shop at osogbo to start selling computers, due to this scheme!

gratiaeo:
Yes, we acknowledge that the
Governor has
promised to give schools a
face-lift...and even though
all that still remains at the
realm of 'promises'...and
we thank him for that, but
such face lift should not
also involve giving shoes to
people who don't have feet.
So, let out great governor
in his best of intentions,
divert the funds for these
computers to other
immediate needs, like
desks, quality teachers, until we have electricity, conducive
environment for those hitech
tools.
computers/ipad don't
(as yet) charge/run on candles!

All the secondary
schools... would these
computers/ipad charge on
electricity or candles?
Re: Opon Imo Will Save Osun N8.4Billion Of Textbook Procurement Costs by brownlord: 3:14pm On Jun 04, 2013
davidzfarm: Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola has taken education in the state to the next level, carry on my Gov.

like seriously? my friend park well
Re: Opon Imo Will Save Osun N8.4Billion Of Textbook Procurement Costs by kehinde1588(m): 3:45pm On Jun 04, 2013
Walai am rily impressed wit dis,kudos 2 the state of osun 4 dis initiative. just imagine dat ACN as a party as been ruling Nigeria since beginning of democracy, mehn we would have developed beyond dis a long time. All we nid is change of party because PDP is corrupt. Love ACN keep it up.
Re: Opon Imo Will Save Osun N8.4Billion Of Textbook Procurement Costs by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jun 04, 2013
brownlord: Arrant nonsense, opon imo abi na kpomo imo, i still do not know the brain behind aregbe's useless policy, Osun state is still the most backward state in terms of education, am presently serving here and i can say this is a wrong step by the state governor, a state where they dont have up to 3 teachers, they rely solely on corpers and OYES ( teaching practice student ) for teaching this children, in my school only 5 staff, 1 principal, 2 vps and 3 teachers, only 2 of the teachers go to school, the school is about the best in the local government and i wonder what would be happening in the rest, this is the only state that an ss3 student can not speak common pidgin english fluently not to talk of writing it down, student still sit on the ground and a few bring chairs from home, there is no desk in class, our government only engage in project that would benefit them, am sure the money he looted from the so called omoluabi uniform is finished and they looking for avenue to loot more, theres been several occasions for days there would be no chalk in school, during test and exams this children sit on the ground to write exams, why cant aregbe employ more qualified staffs/teachers instead of relying on corpers who come and go and Osun state college of education who most times they themselves cant even speak english, in my school a teacher was caught teaching english with yoruba, if i have the time i will post some script of this student test and exam on this forum for this man to be engaging in all this useless project that would not stand the test of time, in their just concluded waec, even the invigilators from waec are the one pleading with corpers to assist the student, is just a shame for people who are not in the state to be celebrating aregbe for this failed policy
if this is true then I don't support this project. There are better things to be done but honestly I feel this story is an hyperbole.

1 Like

Re: Opon Imo Will Save Osun N8.4Billion Of Textbook Procurement Costs by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jun 04, 2013
Personally I don't like reading from a screen. And I know for sure most people don't.

Go through the laptop of an average undergraduate and u will find lots of e-books. How many students read them?.

Nothing can replace the old-fashion feel of paper while reading.

I hope the tablets don't support games and heavy multimedia else the students are finished. Lol.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2018/2019 Best Secondary Schools In Nigeria | See Top 100 Secondary Schools / Jamb 2015/2016 Cutoff Mark Is Out / Buhari’s Education Policy Anti-masses, Says ASUU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.