Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,372 members, 7,954,502 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 08:40 PM

Luck Or Dead Clock? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Luck Or Dead Clock? (642 Views)

My Daughter's Luck / Ill Luck Nigeria (poem) / Adeleke Adeyemi Wins $100K (₦16m) LNG Literature Prize For 'The Missing Clock' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Luck Or Dead Clock? by DaDevin: 2:06pm On Jun 04, 2013
The bus had left Oni Park for hours now, Jeje awaken from his sleep due to the troubling noise of the baby sitting on its mother’s laps beside him. “Sorry sir” the woman said trying her best to comfort the crying baby. With a smile, Jeje held the hands of the mild baby and as if miraculously; it stopped and started to giggle.
“A fine child” he said gazing at the mother “I think he likes you” she responded.
“My wife is also going to have a child, I pray it’s a boy” he said with a worried look as he faced the window. She wanted to continue the conversation, but his sudden look made her keep her calm.
His worry continued as he gaze was fixated on the trees, Jeje’s wife was due a week ago, but he had no money for antenatal care, in fact, he was chased out of his house weeks ago because he hadn’t paid his rent for six months. Today, he was journeying home from his brother’s place who had given him money. His hope was that the baby would await his return before he comes into the world.
“Your money or your life” A masked man said pointing a gun towards a woman “Chineke mo!” she screamed. A shot was fired by another masked man thus consuming noise to fear.
Two other men stood carrying guns and wearing mask alike “If you love your life, cooperate, and you live” one said as he walked to and fro the bus. “Everybody hold your money, bags, chains, gold, and wallet up”
“No, not now” Jeje whispered as tears flowed from his eyes “Please sir, this money is for my pregnant wife’s delivery please” He tried explaining to the nearest masked man, but a blow to his head sent him sinking back to his seat. Minutes passed, and the masked men not satisfied with their spoil asked all women to remove their wrappers to be sure they hid nothing.
“This is wickedness, just take what you have and leave us alone biko, don’t shame these women” An old man said “Shut up you old thing, or do you want to die?” inquired the leader
Within minutes, it got to the turn of the woman beside Jeje “Please carry him for me sir” He held the child who was crying already. As she stood to open her wrapper, there was a sudden noise from the back tire, leading to a slight turbulence. The driver trying to gain control of the situation matched the break thus making the bus tumble crashing into the bush. Jeje clouded with confusion turned to only see the masked man lying on a pool of his blood, another was also dead. The other two seeing this jumped from a broken window into the bush with the bag of money.
The child as though aware of the situation was gripped Jeje hands. Jeje looked by his side and became engulfed with fear for the child’s mother laid dead as an iron rod has pierced through her head.
“Come out quickly” the old man shouted to those still in the bus. Hearing this, Jeje holding the child made his way through the window behind. As he tried adjusting the child’s cover cloth to give it comfort, two bundle of money fell. An explosion occurred, causing a boom which kindled a fire.
Re: Luck Or Dead Clock? by purpinkx(m): 5:18pm On Jun 04, 2013
Mr ... Ehm Dadevin i would love to follow your story
but first i'd like to know how often you'll update . Will it be daily ? Bi-daily or whenever you feel like ? Cos i don't want what happened in 532 B.C.E to repeat itself

Btw its funny how the man got a male child he never bargained for .

1 Like

Re: Luck Or Dead Clock? by DaDevin: 7:54pm On Jun 04, 2013
@Purpinkx It's actually a short story, so can say precisely if there is going to be an update... but thanks for your candid opinion though, it's under consideration smiley
Re: Luck Or Dead Clock? by MsSpaqs(f): 6:11pm On Jun 23, 2013
Am scared 2 follow d story sef dnt want 2 b disappointed incase thr ar no updates
Re: Luck Or Dead Clock? by purpinkx(m): 8:42pm On Jun 24, 2013
Ms Spaqs: Am scared 2 follow d story sef dnt want 2 b disappointed incase thr ar no updates
shuuuu last update was june 04 and you want to follow ? 3weeks no update
Re: Luck Or Dead Clock? by MsSpaqs(f): 9:28am On Jun 25, 2013
Ahan bt i like d story and want 2 c d end bt i guess nt#sighs sad

(1) (Reply)

No Matter What / Travels Through Time. / I Need Your Votes To Win At The Etisalat Flash Fiction Competition.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.