Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,493 members, 7,823,156 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:52 AM

Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama (5968 Views)

The National Assembly Complex: A Closer Look (photos) / Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed / Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by oilyngbati3(m): 4:24pm On Jun 04, 2013
Achebe drew the world closer Obama and Michelle

04 June, 2013

By Uduma Kalu

Lagos—United States President, Barack Obama and his wife, Michelle have described the late Nigerian novelist, Prof. Chinua Achebe as a “Revolutionary author, educator, and cultural ambassador.”
In a letter made available to Vanguard but addressed to the Achebe family and read by a White House representative, at the Celebration of Life event for Chinua Achebe, last Sunday night, at the Andrew Mellon Auditorium, Washington, DC 20240, Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama said Achebe was a “Revolutionary author, educator, and cultural ambassador.

“Achebe shattered the conventions of literature and shaped the collective identity of Nigerians throughout the world. With a dream of taking on misperceptions of his homeland, he gave voice to perspectives that cultivated understanding and drew our world closer together. His legacy will endure in the hearts of all whose lives he touched with the everlasting power of his art.”
The event which also featured an arts exhibition and reception kicked off at 6 pm. Other highlights of the event included tributes from public and private friends and dignitaries, cultural dance troupes, music, masquerades and tributes.
The Francesca Harper project provided a thrilling ballet and the former Nigerian based US citizen, Chuck Mike theatre group enthralled the crowd with a theatrical production of a scene from Achebe’s Things Fall Apart.
Professor Mike reportedly had the audience laughing with his rendition of his experiences in Nigeria and the idiosyncratic tendency of Nigerians to respond with the phrase “we thank God” when asked a variety of questions in various scenarios.
The Afrobeat band Eme and Heteru thrilled the crowd with electrifying music. Speakers included the host, Johnnetta Cole, President emeritus of Spelman and Bennet Colleges and now director of the Smithonian museum of African Art; Ruth Simmons, former president of Brown University, Poet Sonia Sanchez, Micere Mugo and Simon Gikandi, Scott Moyers, president of Penguin, and Jules Chametzky, professor emeriti of Umass Amherst, where Achebe spent time in the 1970s and 80s. Management Agency, Alhassan Barde, said he is yet to ascertain the worth of materials destroyed in the inferno.
He said the state Deputy Governor Ignatius Longjang, has visited the scene of the fire outbreak. He further said investigation was on to unravel the cause of the fire.

16 Likes

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by oilyngbati3(m): 4:27pm On Jun 04, 2013
Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by oilyngbati3(m): 4:33pm On Jun 04, 2013
While others are busy indulging in Islamic terrorists i.e Abdumutallab aka the underwear bomber and Adebolaoja aka the Islamic beheader, the great thinker and writer was busy, putting his homeland on the international stage, on a positive note cool.

16 Likes

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by Zonacom(m): 4:43pm On Jun 04, 2013
Mix up at the end of your post. Check it
Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by solomon111(m): 4:49pm On Jun 04, 2013
A great man even in death.

2 Likes

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by SonOfEl(m): 5:12pm On Jun 04, 2013
Achebe greatness has only just begun.

1 Like

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by Zet72(m): 5:40pm On Jun 04, 2013
The Iroko One of Nigeria, The Father of African literature....Ebe obuna ino ugbuo chukwu nonyeregi

2 Likes

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by Nobody: 5:45pm On Jun 04, 2013
Chinua Achebe is a legend. He was great in life and greater in death. Prof Albert Chinualumogu Achebe lives on.

4 Likes

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by Nobody: 6:18pm On Jun 04, 2013
Of course the lousy ones will avoid super threads like this or come in with mischief-making cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by Ikengawo: 6:20pm On Jun 04, 2013
the world bows.

1 Like

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by Willy7(m): 6:52pm On Jun 04, 2013
Only sane minds and people of note knows and acknowledges Achebe's worth.He didnt run after honours and glory,they came running to him,and most times he rejects them.But whom God has blessed,no man can curse.The world crowned Chinua King and father of modern African literature,and so shall it remain.Nobody can take it away,they can only hate.Chinua Achebe lives.God bless his soul.

3 Likes

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by malele(m): 6:56pm On Jun 04, 2013
And some useless good for nothing human beings will come here and call achebe names

1 Like

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by Nobody: 7:03pm On Jun 04, 2013
Bless you Sir

1 Like

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by revolt(m): 7:10pm On Jun 04, 2013
Was he tht great ?!!! Wow I underestimated him o! Nwaforrrrrrrr!!!!

1 Like

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by vanbonattel: 7:14pm On Jun 04, 2013
The president of the world has spoken. The only other authoritative voice to speak is God the father, but I know he will speak good of Achebe, God gave him skills and made him use it to change the world. He did the work of God.

4 Likes

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by tomakint: 7:35pm On Jun 04, 2013
His literary works cuts across all boundaries be it races, ethnics, cultures, social lives and politics! His name reverberates all over the world anywhere literature as a subject and discipline is mentioned, in Africa there is one Chinua Achebe, in the world, he is among the shinning stars in the world of arts! Rest in Peace Chinua cool

1 Like

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by MaziOmenuko: 7:40pm On Jun 04, 2013
When I moved a motion that the literature section of Nairaland be renamed Achebe's section; the tribal warlords started attacking me. Won't be surprised when they start attacking this thread.

Achebe is, was, and will forever be a Legend.

2 Likes

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by Nobody: 9:25pm On Jun 04, 2013
Achebe was and is still a great man

1 Like

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by remarkD(m): 10:27pm On Jun 04, 2013
My brother the thing tire me o!

A nutcase will soon come on here and say ... "Define revolutionary" ... "Obama made a mistake, its human error which we're all susceptible to" ... "Who else called Chinua Achebe revolutionary?"... "Just tell me one other person that calls him revolutionary and I will go and drink rat poison" ... "Answer these questions, otherwise there is nothing revolutionary about him"...

and the most hilarious thing is ... they're serious when saying all this shizz.

Makes one wonder, really ...
Never seen someones success causing heartache for another...

Thats how some stereotypes are formed, when tommorrow comes and based on such jealousy, they are tagged as backstabbers etc... they'll start making noise again... "Define backstabbers... etc etc"
roflmao

dozzybaba: Of course the lousy ones will avoid super threads like this or come in with mischief-making cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by DuduNegro: 1:56am On Jun 05, 2013
Achebe drew the world closer really??

Wow shocked

1 Like

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by mensdept: 1:59am On Jun 05, 2013
I thought Gowon The Mad was saying quite the opposite. That's why that old soldier boy will die without being considered a hero by anybody.

1 Like

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by DuduNegro: 2:04am On Jun 05, 2013
mens dept: I thought Gowon The Mad was saying quite the opposite. That's why that old soldier boy will die without being considered a hero by anybody.

Trust me, when Gowon dies Igbos will be represented at his burial. Trust me on that!!
Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by Nobody: 2:05am On Jun 05, 2013
Which world did he draw together?

Africa that is more divided than ever or Africa that is lagging wayyyy behind "the rest"?

Obama is just trying to be politically nice.

5 Likes

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by Nobody: 2:06am On Jun 05, 2013
Or does he mean people that still ask us if we have pet lions in Africa....?
Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by DuduNegro: 2:09am On Jun 05, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

Africa that is more divided than ever or Africa that is lagging wayyyy behind "the rest"?

Thank you o. Obama is a orator, he has never been to Nigeria to see how Nigerians feel about Achebe. How can a man who left his country diivided be called "bringing the world together"?

5 Likes

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by mensdept: 2:24am On Jun 05, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

Was Achebe the head of state like BUHARI abi ABacha? Was he Orji Kalu or Theo Orji thats stealing, or Gbenga Daniel that couldnt build one modern school in Ogun? Was he Ibori that London had to jail for crimes, or Yar Adua who went MIA for 60 days?

Achebe did what you have and will never be able to do, that is, articulate the worth of your people, and frankly, even yourself.

3 Likes

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by Nobody: 2:26am On Jun 05, 2013
Lol. I'm not sure Obama has read any of his books. He's a legend anyway - RIP Chinua
Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by Nobody: 2:27am On Jun 05, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

Thank you o. Obama is a orator, he has never been to Nigeria to see how Nigerians feel about Achebe. How can a man who left his country diivided be called "bringing the world together"?

Why should Obama care about the feelings of tribalists?

3 Likes

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by ekoilee: 2:37am On Jun 05, 2013
lmao @ ashebe drew the world together... see as we dey together paparapa..

Obama don begin smoke kpayan...

lmao
Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by DuduNegro: 2:43am On Jun 05, 2013
J12:

Why should Obama care about the feelings of tribalists?

Has Obama ever met Achebe? No! He hasnt even read the man's books. He is reading what showed up on teleprompter. Obama could not tell you Achebe's tribe if you asked him. grin

1 Like

Re: Achebe Drew The World Closer- Obama by TheBookWorm: 4:05am On Jun 05, 2013
The leader of the free world has spoken.

Professor Chinua Achebe's name has been etched in history. cool

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Why I Won’t Arrest Jonathan – Buhari Finally Open Up / Revealed: Here's The Reason Behind Omoyele Sowore's Sudden Release (pictures) / Insecurity: We Will Not Allow Terrorists Determine Nigeria’s Peace – CDS, Irabor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.