Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,799 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:09 PM

Health Implications Of Standing For A Long Time. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Health Implications Of Standing For A Long Time. (797 Views)

What Are The Health Implications Of Living Near A Mast?????::::::::::::::::::::: / Nma: The Act Of Standing Alone... By Fatade Bamidele / MouthAction- Health Implications And Precautions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Health Implications Of Standing For A Long Time. by horpe132(m): 1:24am On Jun 05, 2013
"A case study of a typical Nigerian Banking Hall"
My mom came back from work yesterday evening and told me about a man that slumped in the banking hall and died before been transported to the hospital. This incident happened at ikorodu area of lagos state,yesterday 4th of june 2012.....

I remember when i wanted to save some money into a friends account at First Bank Pansheke abeokuta,,the qui was so long that the air conditional was ON and people where still sweating,then it downed on me that i have to be Smart........2 minutes later my brain worked wonders and i walked majestically into the bulk room to deposit my cash,,, how much ?.............................just two thousand naira and i thanked my star....

Its no News that most of our banking halls in Nigeria are highly congested during working hours........"NOW HOW DO WE TRANSACT BUSINESS IN OUR BELOVED BANKs WITHOUT STANDING FOR A LONG TIME or STANDING THE RISK OF FAINTING" ?

CBN..Civil right societies..NLC..State governments..NUJ..Nairaland ,etc. Please help us,People die and get sick due to this day to day banking stress.

Mods help I'm not sure if this is the Wright place to post this.........Tanx

Source.......Maggi knor,,,Onionz,,,Cray fish...and http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-term_complications_of_standing
Re: Health Implications Of Standing For A Long Time. by Gboliwe: 5:32am On Jun 05, 2013
I opened to see the implication of standing but found nothing embarassed

i agree with you, our banking halls are fainting zones from long standing. I have stood in a Gtb queue from 10am to sometime after 12pm before I was attended to. That day, I had a slight waist pain
Re: Health Implications Of Standing For A Long Time. by dominique(f): 8:52am On Jun 05, 2013
I won't be surprised if GTB is the bank someone slumped and died. The last time I went there to renew my ATM, thought I was going to slump too. But as Gboliwe said, there's no specific health implication of standing too long in the op.
Re: Health Implications Of Standing For A Long Time. by horpe132(m): 12:34pm On Jun 05, 2013
I know standing or walking is a normal thing............Buh what I'm talking about is Standing for a LONG period of time in our banking halls.....
And i got this from the link above....
Health Complications due to standing or walking for a long period of time ...

Slouching

In contrast to proper posture or "Neutral Spine," "slouching" refers to improper posture or "non-neutral spine."[2]

Varicose veins

Varicose veins are veins that have become enlarged and twisted.

Just as with orthostatic hypotension, gravity pulls the blood downwards to the lower part of the body. Body mechanisms, such as vasoconstriction and valves of the veins, on the other hand, assist in forcing blood upwards. However, the valves of the veins work best in concert with accompanying muscle contractions. Standing with some muscles constantly strained, on the other hand, such as in slouching, creates no support for the system carrying blood upwards. As a result, the veins in the legs might become distended, making the valves unable to close properly, causing further distension and thus varicose veins.

Joint compression

Standing results in a state where there is pressure on e.g. the synovial joints, e.g. the knee, but without any significant movement of it. Therefore, the bones squeeze the synovial fluid to the sides,[1] in contrast to the case in dynamic pressure, which permits the fluid to circulate. Thus, long-term standing reduces the normal lubrication and cushioning of synovial joints, causing tearing of them.

Postural muscle fatigue

The muscles need rest between periods of strain. Constant standing never gives them this opportunity. Eventually they’ll become exhausted, which can be felt as pain.

Pregnancy

Pregnancy is a risk factor, both for the mother and the child. Walking or standing more than six hours per day has been linked with pre-term births, low birth weights as well as high blood pressure for the mother.[1]

Further complications

Suffering people may be less alert in their tasks, resulting, e.g., in incidents at work.

(1) (Reply)

Bananas: Natural Weight-loss Food / 10 Health Benefits Of Okra / Trying To Conceive...help Please...........

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.