Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,654 members, 7,816,682 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:09 PM

Obama Appoints Susan Rice As The New NSA - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Obama Appoints Susan Rice As The New NSA (699 Views)

Obama Appoints A Nigerian As Deputy National Security Adviser / A Second Wave Of Genocide Looms In Congo, With Susan Rice On Point / Obama Appoints George Bush For Haiti Relief Effort! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama Appoints Susan Rice As The New NSA by Nobody: 7:37pm On Jun 05, 2013
President Barack Obama on Wednesday announced he was bringing longtime confidante Susan Rice, the U.N. ambassador caught up in political controversy over the Benghazi terrorist attack, to the White House to succeed Tom Donilon as national security adviser.

Donilon had been widely expected to step down in Obama's second term, and the president thanked him for his service in announcing the change in the White House Rose Garden.

Obama also announced he will nominate Samantha Power as Rice's successor at the United Nations. Power is a former special assistant to the president and senior director for multilateral affairs and human rights at the National Security Council.

Rice became the focus of Republican criticism after last year's terrorist attack on a U.S. diplomatic post in Benghazi, Libya, that killed four Americans, including Ambassador Christopher Stevens.

Five days after the assault on the anniversary of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, Rice appeared on U.S. Sunday news shows to say it was a spontaneous development during a protest, rather than a terrorist strike.

She had been considered a top contender to succeed Secretary of State Hillary Clinton at the start of Obama's second term, but Republican opposition over the erroneous CIA talking points she delivered forced her to withdraw her name from consideration in December.

As U.S. national security adviser, Rice will play a key role in developing and guiding the administration's foreign policy. Unlike a Cabinet post, the appointment requires no Senate confirmation, allowing Obama to avoid a showdown with Republicans in giving a new job to one of his most public foreign policy voices during the 2008 presidential campaign.

Republicans criticized Obama's choice Wednesday, with conservative GOP Rep. Jason Chaffetz of Utah tweeting: "Judgement is key to national security matters. That alone should disqualify Susan Rice from her appointment."

Sen. John McCain of Arizona, a leading Republican voice on foreign policy, tweeted that he disagreed with Obama's appointment but added that he would "make every effort to work" with Rice on important issues
http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/05/politics/rice-national-security/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
Re: Obama Appoints Susan Rice As The New NSA by Afam4eva(m): 7:39pm On Jun 05, 2013
I think i have to name of of my daughters rice because it seems anyone named osikapa(rice) always find their way to the white house.
Re: Obama Appoints Susan Rice As The New NSA by Nobody: 7:42pm On Jun 05, 2013
Afam4eva: I think i have to name of of my daughters rice because it seems anyone named osikapa(rice) always find their way to the white house.
Lol grin grin. Before Susan Rice, there was Condoleezza Rice. And coincidentally, the latter also held the same position in G.W. Bush's tenure. Therefore, 2 African-American women have now held the national security adviser post within the last 10 years! That's impressive.
Re: Obama Appoints Susan Rice As The New NSA by Nobody: 12:56am On Jun 06, 2013
With the appointment of Susan Rice; I think Obama is pursuing another "kinectic" adventure in Africa. It might be naija this time loool.

Where Johnnie Carson the house negro at, anyway? grin
Re: Obama Appoints Susan Rice As The New NSA by Inik(m): 9:00am On Jun 06, 2013
Obama administraton is women friendly, he is just handing over top posts to women.

1 Like

Re: Obama Appoints Susan Rice As The New NSA by KayDee4: 2:32am On Jun 08, 2013
The senate repubs have no power over this appointment and I'm sure they're fuming from both ears.
Re: Obama Appoints Susan Rice As The New NSA by Nobody: 2:37am On Jun 08, 2013
Kay-Dee:
The senate repubs have no power over this appointment and I'm sure they're fuming from both ears.

True. The position of National Security Adviser is a non-cabinet office, therefore, she didn't require Senate confirmation. The Repubs were only able to block her nomination as Secretary of State - a cabinet position.

(1) (Reply)

Israel Set To Bomb Iran Over Iran’s Nuclear Ambition / Man Pays Settlement With 600,000 (coins) Quarters / Removed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.