Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,832 members, 7,820,915 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:30 AM

Barack Obama 'abuses' Nigeria! - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Barack Obama 'abuses' Nigeria! (5190 Views)

Barack Obama's Presidency In Fascinating Photos By Pete Souza. / Before And After Picture Of Barack Obama Family. / Yes We Tan: Barack Obama's TAN Suit Sparks Uproar On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Barack Obama 'abuses' Nigeria! by candytoots(f): 8:54pm On May 02, 2008
Well there it goes again: for those of you who think Barack Obama is the great black hope, (Maybe you think he will dash all of us free visa to America) see the kind of derogatory statement he made about Nigeria even when it wasn't the issue at hand:

The link is:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/obama/927567,CST-NWS-campweb02.article

the content:

One farmer asked Obama if it's true he refuses to say the Pledge of Allegiance. Obama told the man not to believe that internet rumor: "That is bogus. These e-mails been sent around, each state, depending on what state I'm about to go into, suddenly you start seeing this smear campaign. I lead the pledge of allegiance when I'm presiding in the Senate, so you can see it on videotape. I've been saying the pledge since I was 3 years old. If you get these letters from Nigeria saying, 'We've got a lot of money for ya,' don't give 'em your bank account number."

Na wa for this Obama sef! Wetin concern Nigerian with wetin them ask am? Couldn't he have just answered and moved on? It is this kind of careless statements that land him in trouble all the time.
Re: Barack Obama 'abuses' Nigeria! by naijadiva2(f): 8:57pm On May 02, 2008
If you get these letters from Nigeria saying, 'We've got a lot of money for ya,' don't give 'em your bank account number."

if was trying to make a point but it was just so random.
Re: Barack Obama 'abuses' Nigeria! by 4Play(m): 8:58pm On May 02, 2008
@poster

No allow Obamaniacs on this forum see this your thread. grin
Re: Barack Obama 'abuses' Nigeria! by BigB11(m): 9:36pm On May 02, 2008
I'm a little bit upset, but I'll give him a second chance.
I think he deserves it!
Re: Barack Obama 'abuses' Nigeria! by Ibime(m): 9:49pm On May 02, 2008
Wetin Obama talk na news? Just in the last 2 weeks alone, I have recieved 20 emails from Hillary Clinton and a few from Bill as well. I know who is sending these emails - Nigerians!
Re: Barack Obama 'abuses' Nigeria! by Kobojunkie: 12:09am On May 03, 2008
O ga o!!!! Nigerians are now involved in smear campaigns against Obama?? Na wa oo,  well,  kind of do not find it hard to believe, now that I think of it. I mean we have ajegunle boys in here trying to tell us that we are fools to vote the way we want to, cause they favour obama for no SERIOUSLY LOGICAL REASON order than his skin color is the closest shade to theirs. Then we have senators in Lagos who are ganging up to supposedly raise money for the obama campaign. Believing there could exist another side, now does not seem too far fetched. Maybe the man is right.
Re: Barack Obama 'abuses' Nigeria! by redsun(m): 12:34am On May 03, 2008
Amazing,419 scam is like magic to white people,they don't just find it funny, blackman fooling them the way they do,one can see from how angry they are in in 419 eaters forum and funny enough some really dumb and desperate nigerians fall for their baits,it is like getting back at them,mugus scam mugus.
Re: Barack Obama 'abuses' Nigeria! by Nobody: 5:30am On May 03, 2008
obama can kick the rocks for all care.
Re: Barack Obama 'abuses' Nigeria! by Nobody: 11:41pm On May 03, 2008
not to be angry with obama, now every country has their puculiaries, and its unfortunate he highlighted ours.but that guy too dey jabo
Re: Barack Obama 'abuses' Nigeria! by spoilt(f): 11:46pm On May 03, 2008
barack im warning you. grin
Re: Barack Obama 'abuses' Nigeria! by Cadet(f): 11:48pm On May 03, 2008
hahah! From CNN to ABC to CBS4 to Oprah to Obama. Yahoo yahoo, you ppl try o. kai!!
Re: Barack Obama 'abuses' Nigeria! by Uche2nna(m): 11:49pm On May 03, 2008
When I heard that statement I asked myself two questions

1) Is it true that most 419 email scams emanate from Nigeria?

2) Is it true if Americans dont send out thier account numbers , they would not get duped?

Answers to those questions made me take a stand.
Re: Barack Obama 'abuses' Nigeria! by Cadet(f): 11:50pm On May 03, 2008
Brilliant analysis Uche2
Re: Barack Obama 'abuses' Nigeria! by angeleses: 11:55pm On May 03, 2008
is he wrong in making that statement? Instead of opening your mouth wide as wide as your pu ssy can go and blabbing nonsense against Obama - why not go and tell the get rich Nigerians how they are spoiling the reputation of thje country Nigeria?
Re: Barack Obama 'abuses' Nigeria! by Cadet(f): 11:56pm On May 03, 2008
angeleses:

is he wrong in making that statement? Instead of opening your mouth wide as wide as your pu ssy can go and blabbing nonsense against Obama - why not go and tell the get rich Nigerians how they are spoiling the reputation of thje country Nigeria?
Madam, must you be offensive when trying to be logical?
Re: Barack Obama 'abuses' Nigeria! by Nobody: 11:58pm On May 03, 2008
Madam, must you be offensive when trying to be logical?
it beats my decent imagination. shocked
Re: Barack Obama 'abuses' Nigeria! by Radiant(f): 1:28am On May 04, 2008
Ibime:

Wetin Obama talk na news? Just in the last 2 weeks alone, I have recieved 20 emails from Hillary Clinton and a few from Bill as well. I know who is sending these emails - Nigerians!

Roflmao grin

Uche, it's not only account details. There are many ways these guys scam. One is called "pity party business", whereby an "orphan" somewhere in "Africa" tells you his very pitiful story and wishes he could have a father and mother again. If you believe him, you've been scammed. You'll keep sending him money while he calls you Dad grin

If you ever fall for such then believe me you won't blame Americans alone but yourself and you'll hate Nigerians for doing what they do even to their fellow countrymen.
Re: Barack Obama 'abuses' Nigeria! by TheSly: 1:38am On May 04, 2008
Waeva who cares!
Dirt off ya shoulders y'all cool
Re: Barack Obama 'abuses' Nigeria! by chiogo(f): 1:42am On May 04, 2008
Teehehehe.
Re: Barack Obama 'abuses' Nigeria! by Nobody: 6:19am On May 04, 2008
vote for neither, vote mccain
Re: Barack Obama 'abuses' Nigeria! by buchio7(m): 3:44pm On May 04, 2008
abeg u no get news
Re: Barack Obama 'abuses' Nigeria! by wendymanda: 8:01pm On May 04, 2008
I don't really have any political affiliation seeing as am not a citizen but what Obama said is not new. Though the connection is annoying to Nigerians but people do send those annyoing emails.
Re: Barack Obama 'abuses' Nigeria! by landis(m): 9:18am On May 05, 2008
whats FG position in all this?

what happened to Maduke, the foreign affairs minister?

may be he has no internet access.
Re: Barack Obama 'abuses' Nigeria! by dominique(f): 12:05pm On May 05, 2008
olrotimi:

vote for neither, vote mccain

yeso vote a geriatric as pres and have another F. Roosevelt.
Re: Barack Obama 'abuses' Nigeria! by lucabrasi(m): 12:28pm On May 05, 2008
right now,barack obama's main and only priority is that white house,so like a typical politician he will do what seems popular with the general voters,if its abusing nigeria,condemning his rev,and anything that needs to be done,he is just playing to the gallery so i think you should cut him some slack, he didnt get where he is today by shouting black power like jesse jackson or clinton will have won wayyyy back, the same obama appealed to
mend in the niger delta to cease the hostilities and they have released a statement that they are considering it because they respect him so much.
bear with the guy and let him do anything he has to do before judging him,even if he abuses nigeria till tomorrow he is still a better option than mccain or bush,even our own yar adua
Re: Barack Obama 'abuses' Nigeria! by ZUBY77(m): 12:30pm On May 05, 2008
@poster
I see nothing wrong in what obama said up there unless you are a scammer, angry
Re: Barack Obama 'abuses' Nigeria! by texazzpete(m): 1:24pm On May 05, 2008
Uche2nna:

When I heard that statement I asked myself two questions

1) Is it true that most 419 email scams emanate from Nigeria?

2) Is it true if Americans don't send out their account numbers , they would not get duped?

Answers to those questions made me take a stand.

Is it true that if people were more security conscious there'd be fewer robberies and rapes?

Answers to those questions made me take a stand: robbery and rape aren't crimes!!

right?
Re: Barack Obama 'abuses' Nigeria! by ojimboIV: 1:37pm On May 05, 2008
a statement of fact and mild humour has been interpreted as 'abuse'. in case we haven't noticed, regardless of the fact that we've beaten this issue on its head time and yet again, our international image has been defined pretty much by 'scam-gate'. i can't take issue with the dude for what he said, but the truth of the matter is the ball is in the hands of our government to turn this villainous practice around and make nigeria work for us all and not ring-fence monies to themselves and policies that hamper national growth.
Re: Barack Obama 'abuses' Nigeria! by Lady2(f): 9:09pm On May 05, 2008
1) Is he lying? Will you guys send your bank account number or major curses on the person who sent the e-mail
2) I think his point is that, just because you receive something in e-mail doesn't mean it's true.

That was a perfect, hard hitting example. I bet you they won't pay attention to the e-mails.

I wish he could have used chain letters as an example though.

Well while he did this, he did also help a Nigerian boy obtain VISA to the US for medical treatment when someone lobbied towards him.

So make your choice with both examples.
Re: Barack Obama 'abuses' Nigeria! by BigB11(m): 10:10pm On May 05, 2008
I love Obama and I'm pulling for him to win; but please do not let us get carried away (it is what it is, the man has no right to make this type of statement during his presidential campaign).

I will kindly label Obama's statement as rookie mistake (another indication that this man doesn't have the full experience yet).
I do not care who you are or where you come from; as a presidential candidate, you do not make such a degrading statement in regard to another nation. It is absolutely unacceptable.
I hope Obama gets himself together quickly and thinks a little bit more before making senseless statement.

The percentage of Nigerians involved in internet Scam letter is very little (less than 2%). It is unfair and stupid to disable or negatively label the entire nation, all for the sake of winning an election.
His statement is not funny, not sensible, unnecessary and absolutely foolish.

I wonder why Obama hasn't used Israel, UK or even Mexico negatively during his campaign. I also wonder why he has selected to release the low blow on Nigeria without any hesitation (I honestly thought the man was wiser). 
No need to justify his stupidity and also no need to continue to bash him, I still think he deserves a second chance.

Let's give him a break!
Re: Barack Obama 'abuses' Nigeria! by PapaBrowne(m): 2:09am On May 06, 2008
lucabrasi:

right now,barack obama's main and only priority is that white house,so like a typical politician he will do what seems popular with the general voters,if its abusing nigeria,condemning his rev,and anything that needs to be done,he is just playing to the gallery so i think you should cut him some slack, he didnt get where he is today by shouting black power like jesse jackson or clinton will have won wayyyy back, the same obama appealed to
mend in the niger delta to cease the hostilities and they have released a statement that they are considering it because they respect him so much.

bear with the guy and let him do anything he has to do before judging him,even if he abuses nigeria till tomorrow he is still a better option than mccain or bush,even our own yar adua

Obama appealed to MEND? Now that's news!! Give me a link please. . . . I want 2 read that!
Re: Barack Obama 'abuses' Nigeria! by Kobojunkie: 2:18am On May 06, 2008
LMAO!!! I wonder if this is not another Nigerian Spam letter situation again, LMAO!!! It seems only MEND knows of this so called ceize fire appeal for now and everyone is waiting to see if Obama will confirm such or if MEND will come out to explain how exactly he was able to do that. LMAO!!!

http://www.peakoil.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=38135

http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/192578.php

(1) (2) (Reply)

prophetic progression of Ukraine war / Meet The Man Deported From Saudi Arabia For Being Too Handsome (pictures) / Govt. Proposes 10-year Jail Term For ‘fake News’ Ahead Of Elections

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.