Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,398 members, 7,843,164 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 07:40 PM

Democracy Hangover By Bizum Yadok - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Democracy Hangover By Bizum Yadok (427 Views)

Non-appointment Of Ministers Shows Buhari’s Military Hangover – Nwabueze / Non-appointment Of Ministers Shows Buhari’s Military Hangover – Nwabueze / Aliyu, Lamido Suffering From Defeat Hangover – APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Democracy Hangover By Bizum Yadok by ViewPointNig: 1:08am On Jun 06, 2013
I must have overslept through the so called "democracy day celebrations", or shall I say "the democracy day imbroglio" –only to wake up confused and perplexed in the typical fashion of our leaders, with a lingering hangover.

During this deep sleep however, I found myself in the "birthplace of democracy" -Greece, then I zoomed to the place it was nurtured –USA, and then I was quickly teleported back to Nigeria. Here, I witnessed the caricature version of Democracy, and I wondered whether this version was fit to still be called democracy. For instance, it was alarming to see that the fourteen-year-old child called democracy, who was born from military dictatorship in 1999, was still perambulating in diapers and was still learning to walk instead of strutting and running like a like a teenager.

Anyway, it was his birthday so we overlooked the quagmire and took part in the celebration. In fact, a public holiday was declared in the usual Nigerian manner –adding to the number of idle days that are inimical his economic growth.In the first place, our annual Independence Day celebration is sufficient to encapsulate any sort of democracy or national celebration we deem fit. But currently as things stand, the Government annually declares at least three full public Holidays in celebration of our centenary as a nation. Public holidays are as affordable as garri in Ijebu market; when a notable personality dies, a public holiday is announced; when a trophy is won, public holiday; when the president or a governor feels happy a public holiday is declared.

To read more: http://www.viewpointnigeria.com/opinion-mob/item/438-democracy-day-hangover-by-bizum-yadok

(1) (Reply)

Anti-gay Law Threatens Family Members / 15yrs Remembrance / Tension In APC Over Sharing Of Offices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.