Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,441 members, 7,954,744 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 08:23 AM

Intertribal Marriage - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Intertribal Marriage (9956 Views)

The Dangers Of Being Of Intertribal Heritage / Matchmaking Intertribal People, Mum's Side, Dad's Side Or Neither? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Intertribal Marriage by OsunAmazon: 7:36am On May 03, 2008
There is a considerable increment in intertribal marriages in Nigeria especially among Southerners(marriage between southerners and northerners suffer a great impediment created by religion). In fact, I claim that intertribal marriages arguably increase in geometric progression more than interracial marriages in the West. What factors do you think that contributed to such drastic increment in Nigerian intertribal marriages lately?
Re: Intertribal Marriage by oziomatv(m): 3:35pm On May 03, 2008
People lately tend to embrace unity than division and the best and easy way to achieve that is having a free intertribal marriage, where religious believes seems not to be another barrier.
   Nigeria will be a better place if there is a freedom of marriage without the influence of parents, relatives and friends comming in with objections.

This how I sees it don't know about others.
Re: Intertribal Marriage by OsunAmazon: 5:00pm On May 03, 2008
Nigeria will be a better place if there is a freedom of marriage without the influence of parents, relatives and friends comming in with objections.
Why are Nigerian parents not getting it? It's 21st century duh! Their children do not buy the idea of Osun must marry Osun, Ijebu must marry ijebu, ibo must marry anambra, ishan must marry ishan etc.
Re: Intertribal Marriage by oziomatv(m): 5:10pm On May 03, 2008
OsunAmazon:

Why are Nigerian parents not getting it? It's 21st century duh! Their children do not buy the idea of Osun must marry Osun, Ijebu must marry ijebu, ibo must marry anambra, ishan must marry ishan etc.

cause we're still living in colonial mentality that tend to divide us into 1000 parts.
Re: Intertribal Marriage by OsunAmazon: 6:41pm On May 03, 2008
cause we're still living in colonial mentality that tend to divide us into 1000 parts.
That means that education contributed a lot besides, it seems from this argument that religion is a more dangerous weapon in Nigeria than tribalism.
Re: Intertribal Marriage by iice(f): 1:27am On May 04, 2008
Are talking about tribes or religion?
Re: Intertribal Marriage by oziomatv(m): 9:42am On May 04, 2008
religion is the chief contributor of our inability to unite as one nation before tribe.
   Why is it that a hausaman can live and do cattle business in Umuahia Abia state peacefully, but the Igbos in North are being kill each and every minute of the day?   the reason is religious differences.

Unless we fight this mentality we shall still be disunited.

I hate religion
Re: Intertribal Marriage by OsunAmazon: 4:04pm On May 04, 2008
religion is the chief contributor of our inability to unite as one nation before tribe.
Why is it that a hausaman can live and do cattle business in Umuahia Abia state peacefully, but the Igbos in North are being kill each and every minute of the day? the reason is religious differences.

Unless we fight this mentality we shall still be disunited.

I hate religion

That one may not happen in 200 years in Nigeria. I think that people in the south should first fight the cold religious wars between them, ethnic differences etc. Come to think of it, it's women that always broker this disunity among tribes but marrying a guy they deem fit irrespective of where he comes from. I think women can do more and by year 2045, yoruba,ibo,itsekiri differences may be a folk tale.
Re: Intertribal Marriage by bawomolo(m): 12:12am On May 05, 2008
oh please relax with ur feminist crap
Re: Intertribal Marriage by OsunAmazon: 7:36am On May 05, 2008
Once again, I am no feminist. I am a womanist.
Re: Intertribal Marriage by bawomolo(m): 4:35pm On May 05, 2008
still the same BS
Re: Intertribal Marriage by oziomatv(m): 5:19pm On May 05, 2008
@ OsunAmazon,
Rumor says that you're HOTFUNMI, how could that be when I felt that am responding to my fellow man not knowing it's a female Hotfunmifire for that matter?
Re: Intertribal Marriage by ifyalways(f): 6:46pm On May 05, 2008
oziomatv:

@ OsunAmazon,
Rumor says that you're HOTFUNMI, how could that be when I felt that am responding to my fellow man not knowing it's a female Hotfunmifire for that matter?

rotflmao
you aint seen nothing yet,keep cool cheesy
Re: Intertribal Marriage by oziomatv(m): 6:50pm On May 05, 2008
ifyalways:

rotflmao
you aint seen nothing yet,keep cool cheesy
MEANING?
Re: Intertribal Marriage by OsunAmazon: 3:57am On May 06, 2008
@ OsunAmazon,

That's how people start rumours without confirming from the right source first.
Re: Intertribal Marriage by Gamine(f): 4:07am On May 06, 2008
How can an Amazon be a man

some people eh!
Re: Intertribal Marriage by OsunAmazon: 5:13am On May 06, 2008
How can an Amazon be a man

some people eh!
I never said I am a man.
Re: Intertribal Marriage by Gamine(f): 5:18am On May 06, 2008
i wasnt referring to u
Re: Intertribal Marriage by OsunAmazon: 7:31am On May 06, 2008
i wasnt referring to u
Ma bad. God bless you.
Re: Intertribal Marriage by Ybutterfly: 1:39pm On Sep 20, 2011
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^I'm not really for inter-tribal marriage but heah whateva
Re: Intertribal Marriage by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:18pm On Sep 20, 2011
^I congratulate you madame.

Intertribal marriage will make Nigeria into a hybrid country filled with mongrels and ba****ds. we will lose all our culture, traditional religions, etc. We will become a moralless, hybrid nation and we wont be any different from the African Americns who are mixed like a fruit salad. we will the start getting AIDS and all kinds of new diseases, unlike in the past when there was no AIDS and fewer diseases. then there will be r.apists, etc on the loose and people will just do what they want. Nigeria wont have any recognition as a[i] unique [/i] entity. we will just be lost in the crowd. our Gods will abandon us. we will be doomed.
next once Nigerians are all mixed, we will start intermarrying with the whites, the asians, the indians, the mexicans, etc and we all become a dirty moral-less world without any culture, religion, self respect or IDENTITY. angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

[size=64pt]I SAY NOT TO INTERTRIBAL MARRIAGES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/size]

[size=64pt]MY TRIBE IS MY[b] IDENTITY [/b] AND I DARE YOU TO STEAL IT ON RISK OF YA LIFE[/size].  angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Intertribal Marriage by Nayah(f): 4:25pm On Sep 20, 2011
hybrid country?? Pagan, Nigeria has already problems in terms of tribes so what could be the difference? I respect your point of veiw but I couldn't imagine blaming someone who want to marry a Non Nigerian or Non Igbo, Non yoruba etc
Re: Intertribal Marriage by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:31pm On Sep 20, 2011
it is not a tribal problem madame. it is a[i] religious [/i] one. the North is against the South because the North is muslim while the South is christian. discard these two foreign abnormalities and UNITE Nigeria on the basis of African Traditional Religions, which are the true religions of the people.
Re: Intertribal Marriage by tpia5: 3:17am On Sep 21, 2011
na the pikin go suffer whatever marriage decision anybody makes, so the best thing is to siddon look at all of una.
Re: Intertribal Marriage by Ybutterfly: 12:52pm On Oct 28, 2011
PAGAN  9JA:

^I congratulate you madame.

Intertribal marriage will make Nigeria into a hybrid country filled with mongrels and ba****ds. we will lose all our culture, traditional religions, etc. We will become a moralless, hybrid nation and we wont be any different from the African Americns who are mixed like a fruit salad. we will the start getting AIDS and all kinds of new diseases, unlike in the past when there was no AIDS and fewer diseases. then there will be r.apists, etc on the loose and people will just do what they want. Nigeria wont have any recognition as a[i] unique [/i] entity. we will just be lost in the crowd. our Gods will abandon us. we will be doomed.
next once Nigerians are all mixed, we will start intermarrying with the whites, the asians, the indians, the mexicans, etc and we all become a dirty moral-less world without any culture, religion, self respect or IDENTITY. angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

[size=64pt]I SAY NOT TO INTERTRIBAL MARRIAGES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/size]

[size=64pt]MY TRIBE IS MY[b] IDENTITY [/b] AND I DARE YOU TO STEAL IT ON RISK OF YA LIFE[/size].  angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^so true

^^^^^^^^^^^^^it isn't w0rth it? No way^^^^^^^^^^I won't l0se my culture:

"Marriage is a wonderful institution designed by God. It is really a mystery how two  people from different parents come together as one. When two people fall in love, no  amount of pressure can stop them and if eventually they are stopped, it is always very  disastrous.

I happen to come from the Eastern part of the country where there is so much being done  wrongly in marriage. I can confidently say that only a few marriages in the East are  based on love. This is because as a girl is growing, there is someone, probably a family  friend she is reserved for. Her opinion does not matter as she is told that she will get  to love the man as they begin to live together. What a pity!

Even the matured ones don’t get married because they are in love. They get married  because that man can take care of the family or because age is not on their side. I have  seen very beautiful girls from my village age in their parents’ house. This is not  because they were not what the society would have them be, but because they fell in love  with total strangers and their parents were against the relationship.

It is really sad seeing parents in this generation still pushing their daughters into  wrong marriages. This is one reason why the rate of divorce is very high. Two people who  have nothing in common and are raised with totally different outlook are forced to become  husband and wife.

As an Igbo girl from Anambra State, I can categorically say it without mincing words that  this practice is prevalent in my state. It’s either your parents don’t want you to get  married to a man from another Igbo state or they don’t want the man because he is not  rich enough to buy Christmas cow for the family.

They do this, not only to non-Igbo, but also to Igbo from different states. Even the  educated, exposed parents are guilty of this. This is why you see a lot of beautiful,  mature girls from my state that are still unmarried.

I remember years back when I introduced a very nice guy to a girl from my place. This  girl is so pretty that the guy wanted her by all means. In this case, the guy is very  comfortable and they loved each other. They dated for so many years with the girl’s  family enjoying his money. But when it was time for marriage, they rejected the same guy  whose largesse they had enjoyed on the flimsy excuse that he is not from Anambra State.  Today; the guy is married while the girl is in her late thirties and still single.

I recently summoned the courage to ask a friend why he is still single at the age of  forty. He is not from the Igbo tribe. He told me how he dated a female lawyer for about  six years and their relationship even produced a child. When he got ready for marriage,  the girl’s parents refused to give their daughter to him.

A girl I know very well went through years fighting her parents (I salute her courage).  It got to a point that she left the house because her parents went the extent of calling  her man an osu just to make her change her mind. She stood firm and it was really  surprising how they later gave out their daughter to that same osu.

I have seen people from different races co-exist happily. Why then should we be having  problems with inter-tribal marriages? The problem is that a typical Nigerian man or woman  does not love with everything in him/her. When a Yoruba girl decides to be married to an  Igbo man, she ceases to be a Yoruba girl from that moment. Likewise an Igbo girl when she  decides to get hooked to a Yoruba guy.

But the case is always different with Nigerian marriages. I see ladies not wanting to be  identified with their husband’s tribe. If you say you love a man, you should love  everything about him, his culture inclusive. The first thing I expect women to do once  they make the choice of a life partner is to study him and his culture. In studying his  culture, you must know everything about his people, their way of life, their traditions,  what they wear, his language and even the way they greet.

Most importantly, you must learn to prepare his local dishes. I hear some girls say they  are not ready to start learning how to prepare their husbands local dishes because the  man knew they are not from their tribe before coming for them. I have a friend, an  American lady who is married to an Igbo guy. This lady, a white American, came to my  house to learn how to prepare her husband’s local dishes. Now in the USA, she cooks and  eats them. This is what I call love and oneness.

Girl, don’t go on feeling on top of the world. Yes, he met you in Lagos and got married  to you in Lagos. But he would appreciate you more if you can be humble enough to ask any  of his sisters or your friends from his tribe to teach you how to prepare their dishes.  Remember, no matter the number of stewards and cooks in your house, there is nothing a  man appreciates like his wife getting into the kitchen, preparing and serving his meal  herself. This makes him feel like a king in his house.

Coming to the issue of language, I want you to always remember that English is not our  language. Both of you should learn your different languages. One problem with  inter-tribal marriage is that the children most times are faced with the problem of not  being able to understand any Nigerian language. This is because the parents fail to  accept the language of one another. If you fail to understand the language, you will  begin to have issues with your in-laws as you are bound to become suspicious whenever  they chat in their local dialect.

Another problem with inter-tribal marriage is that there is always some sort of rivalry  among the parents. Something happened during this year’s cultural day in my child’s  school. I heard a father whose child was dressed the Yoruba way, reminding her in the  presence of the teachers that she is not Yoruba. The teachers were laughing about it, but  looking at this man who is Igbo, I could see a man who has failed to come to terms with  the fact that he is now one with someone from a different tribe.

This is the 21st century and inter-tribal marriage shouldn’t be an issue at all. Nigeria  is one. I have always said it that whoever my children decides to marry is their choice.  Tribal sentiments have caused more harm than good to us. Girls have remained unmarried  because they lost their man. Even those that were pushed into same-tribe marriage by  their parents are not happy in their homes. There are so many examples of women who are  very happy in inter-tribal marriages. All you have to ask God for is a man who has a good  conscience and fears God. Never allow anyone talk you out of your destiny because you may  never be happy afterwards."

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2010/10/05/women-and-inter-tribal-marriages/

3 Likes

Re: Intertribal Marriage by namfav(m): 1:39pm On Nov 03, 2011
Ybutterfly:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^so true

that is good, marry in your culture, dnt let it die grin
Re: Intertribal Marriage by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:01pm On Nov 03, 2011
^^^^^^^^

KEEP UP THE SPIRIT! I AM HAUSSA BUT I WILL ALWAYS SUPPORT YOU, REGARDLESS OF YOUR TRIBE, IF YOU MARRY WITHIN YOUR OWN TRIBE. OUR CULTURE AND OUR RELIGION IS IN OUR HANDS.
Re: Intertribal Marriage by Ybutterfly: 9:45pm On Nov 11, 2011
^^^^^^^^^^^mOsT maRRy tHeiR Tribe in NigeriA^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^doN't worry
Re: Intertribal Marriage by aljharem(m): 5:05am On Nov 12, 2011
Ybutterfly:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^so true

LOL Ybutterfly, don't think like that.

If you find happiness in anybody be it any ethnic group, I believe you should go for it.

culture are lost and formed every millennia so it is not something you should really take to heart.

If you find a man that is from another culture, and you are happy, go for it wink

you would be surprised that the culture you do not want to lose, you might just end up losing it.
Re: Intertribal Marriage by tpia5: 5:11am On Nov 12, 2011
i really dont think people should be pressured into dating outside their ethnic group if they dont want to.

not sure why some are feeling caged due to their dating habits and are now so fearful of others who dont date like them.

very weird state of affairs.
Re: Intertribal Marriage by tpia5: 5:13am On Nov 12, 2011
and where is all this happy happy happy talk coming from?

what a weak foundation to build a relationship or marriage on.

very western concept, imo.

abi is it s.ex people are referring to when they say happy?
Re: Intertribal Marriage by namfav(m): 6:13pm On Nov 22, 2011
people are scared to date outside tribes, because of the stories that are told

i dont see the fuss

tpia@:

i really dont think people should be pressured into dating outside their ethnic group if they dont want to.

not sure why some are feeling caged due to their dating habits and are now so fearful of others who dont date like them.

very weird state of affairs.

(1) (2) (Reply)

***nigerian Culture To Answer A Question With Another Question?*** / . / Post Swear words from your language here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.