Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,810,001 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:32 PM

Somali Trader Stoned To Death In South Africa - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Somali Trader Stoned To Death In South Africa (4378 Views)

Mozambican man, Emmanuel Sithole Stabbed To Death In South Africa / 2013 Xenophobia Video In South African / Shocking: Australian Prime Minister Stoned By Protesters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Somali Trader Stoned To Death In South Africa by bornosheikh: 12:02am On Jun 08, 2013
Re: Somali Trader Stoned To Death In South Africa by bokohalal(m): 12:43am On Jun 08, 2013
What was that all about? Really?
Re: Somali Trader Stoned To Death In South Africa by bornosheikh: 1:14am On Jun 08, 2013
Somalia's president says he "wants answers" from South Africa after the brutal murder of a Somali man in Port Elizabeth, Al Jazeera has learned.

The Somali man, 25-year-old Abdi Nasir Mahmoud Good, was stoned to death on May 30 by a mob. The violence was captured on a mobile phone and shared on the internet.

Sheik Mohammed, Somalia's president, called on his South African counterpart Jacob Zuma to "act immediately" to arrest those responsible.

Kamal Gutale, chief of staff in the Somali presidency, told Al Jazeera on Monday: "The president has asked Mr Zuma and his foreign minister to look into the matter and investigate the brutal killing and violence."

The murder is the latest in a number of attacks on Somali immigrants in South Africa. Police are investigating the death but no one has been arrested.

Graphic footage

The Somali presidency said the issue was raised on the sidelines of the Tokyo International Conference on African Development (TICAD) in Tokyo on Sunday, after the Somali community was hit by a series of attacks in South Africa over the last week.

The graphic footage shows the bare-chested Good lying in the middle of a street while a mob pelts him with rocks and boulders as pedestrians and vehicles pass by.

Local media said Good was attacked while trying to protect his shop from looters. He was also stabbed in the violence.

The Somali community in South Africa, which numbers a few hundred thousand, reacted with outrage.

The Somali Association of South Africa (SASA) told Al Jazeera that at least five other Somalis have been injured and about 40 shops have been looted in the four provinces across the country.

Government inaction

"At the time, President Zuma was not aware of the incident and expressed surprise," Gutale said.

The South African president promised to look into the matter, he said.

But SASA said that the South African government has repeatedly failed to act on this and previous attacks on foreigners.

"This is not the first time; this is happening over and over again. The South African government is not taking action, the community is angry and every time this happens, nothing is ever done," said SASA spokesman Ismaeel Abdi Adan.

The South African presidency was unavailable to comment.

The African Centre for Migration and Society at Witwatersrand University in Johannesburg, said in a report released in 2012 that Somali-run businesses suffered disproportionately from crime, including attacks by competing South African traders.

The South African government has said that previous violence against foreigners was a result of criminality and not xenophobia.

In 2008, more than 50 foreign African nationals were killed in a spate of violence against foreign nationals across the country.
Re: Somali Trader Stoned To Death In South Africa by bornosheikh: 1:15am On Jun 08, 2013
Even see small schoolboy wey carry rock and land blow on head rather than read book.

1 Like

Re: Somali Trader Stoned To Death In South Africa by Nobody: 1:26am On Jun 08, 2013
Animals, really shamful.
Re: Somali Trader Stoned To Death In South Africa by sambos994(m): 1:36am On Jun 08, 2013
SA just made themselves an enemy of Africa.
Re: Somali Trader Stoned To Death In South Africa by Chanchit: 2:52am On Jun 08, 2013
Sorry to say, but SAcans behaves like animals, xpecially the blacks.
Re: Somali Trader Stoned To Death In South Africa by Nobody: 5:13am On Jun 08, 2013
Chanchit: Sorry to say, but SAcans behaves like animals, xpecially the blacks.

Don't generalise. All countries have lunitics.
Re: Somali Trader Stoned To Death In South Africa by Nobody: 5:26am On Jun 08, 2013
sambos994: SA just made themselves an enemy of Africa.

Woow! how so??
Re: Somali Trader Stoned To Death In South Africa by Nobody: 5:26am On Jun 08, 2013
sambos994: SA just made themselves an enemy of Africa.

Woow! how so??
Re: Somali Trader Stoned To Death In South Africa by gkw: 10:00am On Jun 09, 2013
school kids!!! , enlighten me how do u the reconcile yoself after this ?, how do u live on? .

what is God saying ,sometimes i wonder
Re: Somali Trader Stoned To Death In South Africa by pendo89(f): 3:36pm On Jun 09, 2013
Is this the future of SA? very hostile to fellow africans.
Re: Somali Trader Stoned To Death In South Africa by bornosheikh: 4:08pm On Jun 09, 2013
Ignorance is allowed to flower there like a vine. They were brutalised for so long by afrikaners and the english, that they fully understand and know how to brutalise others.

1 Like

Re: Somali Trader Stoned To Death In South Africa by Nobody: 5:51pm On Jun 09, 2013
bornosheikh: Ignorance is allowed to flower there like a vine. They were brutalised for so long by afrikaners and the english, that they fully understand and know how to brutalise others.

As compared to who? unlike other African countries, South Africa doesn't have any tribal violence, and these xenophobic attacks are isolated incidence, what % of foreigners have been brutalised, i doubt it's above 1%. Botswana and Namibia are are just as xenophobic as SA what is you explaination for their xenophobia.

3 Likes

Re: Somali Trader Stoned To Death In South Africa by sambos994(m): 5:55pm On Jun 09, 2013
zetdee:

As compared to who? unlike other African countries, South Africa doesn't have any tribal violence, and these xenophobic attacks are isolated incidence, what % of foreigners have been brutalised, i doubt it's above 1%. Botswana and Namibia are are just as xenophobic as SA what is you explaination for their xenophobia.

Take a look at this: https://www.nairaland.com/1318735/nigerian-beaten-death-policmen-south-africa
Re: Somali Trader Stoned To Death In South Africa by Vansnickers: 8:16pm On Jun 09, 2013
Some black South Africans are beasts.
Re: Somali Trader Stoned To Death In South Africa by Nobody: 9:32pm On Jun 09, 2013
sambos994:

Take a look at this: https://www.nairaland.com/1318735/nigerian-beaten-death-policmen-south-africa

Isolated case, many Nigerians in SA are killing their own. You can lookup the stats on foreigners who've killed South Africans compared to all those killed in xenophobic incidence. The Xenophobia in South africa is just a form of tribalism.
Re: Somali Trader Stoned To Death In South Africa by Nobody: 9:44pm On Jun 09, 2013
Superego][size=13pt]Birom Christians Eat Roasted Flesh of Muslims they Killed in Jos, Nigeria [/size]

http://www.newsrescue.com/2011/09/birom-christians-eat-roasted-flesh-of-muslims-they-killed-in-jos-nigeria/

Nigeria need serious help. I blame our corrupt government! Follow the link, there is both video and audio! http://www.newsrescue.com/2011/09/birom-christians-eat-roasted-flesh-of-muslims-they-killed-in-jos-nigeria/

This very barbaric act didn't even make international headlines, but its so far worse in many ways than any xenophobic violence that has ever happened in South Africa. Raosting over 40 people and eating them is truely barbaric, this tribal violence happens regulary in Nigeria, can we say Nigerians are animals?

1 Like

Re: Somali Trader Stoned To Death In South Africa by HezronLorraine(m): 4:23am On Jun 10, 2013
zetdee:

I trust u to open office of public Defence to defend the animalistic,inhumane attitude of you nationales.its a big shame south africa keeps portraying its xenophobia as a legal clause.mob activities are likely not to be investigated.believe me,SA would see a repercussion of this tnz in near future.not animalistic behaviour,through diplomatic row.
Re: Somali Trader Stoned To Death In South Africa by HezronLorraine(m): 4:27am On Jun 10, 2013
zetdee:

I trust u to open office of public Defence to defend the animalistic,inhumane attitude of you nationales.its a big shame south africa keeps portraying its xenophobia as a legal clause.mob activities are likely not to be investigated.believe me,SA would see a repercussion of this tnz in near future.not animalistic behaviour,through diplomatic row.
Zetdee,get a job.stop peddling cheap hypocrisy here on nairaland.u've made it an attribute to counter news about sa crimes by opening chronicles of ill behaviours of nigerians.just get a life.
Re: Somali Trader Stoned To Death In South Africa by Nobody: 6:38am On Jun 10, 2013
Out of all the Somalis in that community those kids just chose to beat and stone him and just him to death? Why didn't any of his fellow countrymen suffer the same fate, if this was indeed a so called "xenophobic" attack??

If we were truly "xenophobic-beasts" we wouldn't have welcomed you lot into our country, communities, supported any of your businesses and we sure as hell wouldn't have fought for Zimbos after a Somali shop owner shot and killed two of their brothers!

Several weeks ago a mob in Zambia killed a Somali guy...but I guess its alot more fun and easier to label SAns instead, right?

3 Likes

Re: Somali Trader Stoned To Death In South Africa by bornosheikh: 12:32am On Jun 13, 2013
Nowhere is perfect, however there are regional variances that deserve our attention. The killings of 'foreign nationals' falls into that category. Trying to point to Zambia/Kenya for 'anti-Somalian' sentiment looks like you are putting your head in the sand. I grew up watching SA tribal wars on television (see below). Township violence is endemic and has a long history As it is now, the ANC govt is happy for the SA underclass to kill and maim foreigners as it means they can continue to plunder freely. The ANC has ended up in the same place as the NP.

The news below is from 1991.

Many South Africans are convinced that the massacre of 23 Inkatha supporters on September 8 was carried out by covert elements of the South African Defence Forces.

They believe the aim was to reignite violence within the black community to take the heat off the de Klerk regime. The violence allows defenders of apartheid to argue that majority rule will lead to the violation of the human rights of minorities.

In the week following the attack, more than 100 people, mostly residents of townships surrounding Johannesburg, were killed by Inkatha supporters.

Unidentified killers shot up passenger trains, killing and wounding many. Several passengers were killed when they jumped from moving trains to escape. Black workers waiting at bus stops were gunned down.

The September 8 massacre occurred as 300 hostel dwellers in the township of Thokoza were marching to an Inkatha rally. Three killers stepped out of surrounding houses and opened fire with automatic rifles.

Without evidence, senior Inkatha leaders in the Transvaal immediately blamed the ambush on the African National Congress, encouraging their followers to launch reprisals.
- See more at: http://www.greenleft.org.au/node/616#sthash.iAS7Cga6.dpuf
Re: Somali Trader Stoned To Death In South Africa by Nobody: 11:57pm On Jun 15, 2013
Instead of attempting to answer at least one of my many questions you chose to bring up something from SA's history books. A history that has absolutely nothing to do with you or the topic at hand. In future don't ever compare the ANC to NP, you don't know what the heck you're talking about!

If people who invited themselves in SA feel that the ANC led govt is happy to see them get killed, what exactly is stopping them from leaving??

For some reason a lot of people think they can just come in our country, disrespect us, disregard our laws and somehow still be welcomed to live among us. SA is not a free-for-all...it belongs to its citizens. The sooner people get that, the better off they'll be.
Re: Somali Trader Stoned To Death In South Africa by TerryCarr(m): 7:34am On Jun 16, 2013
T.I.A.
Re: Somali Trader Stoned To Death In South Africa by Centrifude(m): 2:08am On Dec 29, 2014
Well... Somalians think of Bantu people as Slaves and Consider themselves to be superior to every other Black race on the Planet, so I don't really blame my Psychotic S.An brothers for killing them.

Its not just S.An who don't like Somalians.

1 Like

Re: Somali Trader Stoned To Death In South Africa by morpheus24: 3:26pm On Dec 31, 2014
Centrifude:
Well... Somalians think of Bantu people as Slaves and Consider themselves to be superior to every other Black race on the Planet, so I don't really blame my Psychotic S.An brothers for killing them.

The video has nothing to do with the above statement and a lot to do with jealousy and envy over foreigners who are able to use a little of what they have to survive.

Usual excuse by my SAffa people!
Re: Somali Trader Stoned To Death In South Africa by Nobody: 5:34pm On Dec 31, 2014
Centrifude:

what an ignorant statement to make

(1) (Reply)

Israel Downs Iranian Drone, Strikes Syria; Israeli F-16 Shot Down, Pilots Safe / The People Of California Have Banned Gay Marriage / Why Are The Arab Countries Mute On Gaza-israel War

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.