Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,500 members, 7,819,817 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:37 AM

Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English - NYSC (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English (9185 Views)

NYSC Director Berates Youth Corpers Who Cannot Speak Simple English / Some NYSC Members Can’t Speak English Language- NYSC DG / Many Nigerian NYSC Corpers Can’t Read Or Write – Brigadier General Nnamdi Okore- (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Go Down)

Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Uche2nna(m): 11:02pm On May 04, 2008
@ osisi

It seems U have not gone home in ages undecided Of course, lectures are given in english but that is if the student in question attend classes or even pay attention to the lectures. There are other ways to pass exams!!!

And with the way we conduct exams , how can u be surprised about a "non-english speaking "graduate.

Nigerian students are in the middle of WAEC now and my younger sister who is also taking the exams keeps me updated. U would weep for the academic sector. The exam papers show up 2 days before each exam.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by bawomolo(m): 11:55pm On May 04, 2008
hey semi-illiterates need an education too.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by sheniqua: 12:16am On May 05, 2008
Uche2nna:

It seems You have not gone home in ages undecided Of course, lectures are given in english but that is if the student in question attend classes or even pay attention to the lectures. There are other ways to pass exams!!!

And with the way we conduct exams , how can u be surprised about a "non-english speaking "graduate.

Nigerian students are in the middle of WAEC now and my younger sister who is also taking the exams keeps me updated. You would weep for the academic sector. The exam papers show up 2 days before each exam.

No I go home at least every 2 years.
I've just been out of touch with things like this ("vernacular-only" speaking college graduates because I'm older (than you folks) I guess.
Actually on my last trip was when I heard of "special centers" for WAEC
They said things were already bad at my time , it's down right scary now!
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by sheniqua: 12:20am On May 05, 2008
I even heard of a cousin who had someone doing youth service for him.
I couldn't believe it.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by sheniqua: 12:25am On May 05, 2008
Uche2nna:

Nigerian students are in the middle of WAEC now and my younger sister who is also taking the exams keeps me updated. You would weep for the academic sector. The exam papers show up 2 days before each exam.

EXPO is as old as prostitution as far as Nigeria is concerned.
Even in med school,there were girls who knew the questions ahead of time
Those of us who were in SU could only pray.
Some "smart "boys befriended and worshipped these girls and reaped the fruits of expo.
Bottom power is really a weapon.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by naijaking1: 1:00am On May 05, 2008
sheniqua:

I even heard of a cousin who had someone doing youth service for him.
I couldn't believe it.

Whose name will be on the NYSC certificate? Your cousin's or that someone?
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by eagleu: 2:33am On May 05, 2008
Maybe she stole somebody's certificate
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Nobody: 3:42am On May 05, 2008
A good percentage of undergrads and graduates of Nigerian universities have never been to class, not to talk of sitting for exams. I know of two dudes resident in London, they are real students of LASU but doesn't know where this school is located until they graduated. They have their original certs now.

Besides, this is no news. If a computer prof does not know what is a computer, why will it surprise anyone if a graduate cannot speak English.

sheniqua:

The girl must have bought the certificates and must have lived her whole life in interior Ezzamgbo or somewhere.
ESUT is a top notch school , that girl obviously did not pass through there.

Do you have problems with people from Ezzamgbo? That they are poor doesn't mean they are not intelligent.
Do bear in mind that people from this area can speak and write English more than most people from other parts of Igboland. Lets not begin to mention names of places here.
Just try to be sincere when making your analysis.

sheniqua:

I know writing English is another story but not speaking any English with a college degree?

You mind telling us the difference between speaking and writing?
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by debosky(m): 3:51am On May 05, 2008
I doubt if she passed through the school herself. . .I believe she probably killed the owner of the degree with her atrocious English and took her place grin grin

Educational systems are in decay and oversight/regulation is very weak in a lot of these institutions, so unfortunately cases like these might become more frequent. Due to the failures of these systems, some smart chaps are making money by establishing a 'Graduate Standardization Center' to test University graduates and ensure they meet minimum standards before being considered for jobs by multinational companies and banks. sad indeed.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by ono(m): 9:33am On May 05, 2008
Hmnn. . . .I'm enjoying the discourse.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by dominique(f): 11:53am On May 05, 2008
i dont believe that girl ever stepped in a school, i just returned from orientation camp in Benue and i saw many people who spoke really bad english, at least they still spoke english. for you not to be able to speak a word of english, you're a pure stark illitrate and going for NYSC makes you a stupid illiltrate. this can have serious implications on ESUT and the future graduates they produce.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by ifyalways(f): 12:08pm On May 05, 2008
This is no news.am sure the girl never saw the forewalls of the said school.she prolly paid someone to write her jamb and Neco.Sad as it might be,You really don't have to attend classes in Nigeria anymore. . .students got choices now,lots of it.you either get someone do it for you,you do it yourself or your Money talks.i believe shes in the last group,her money talked for her.
Too bad and embarrassing.Now its not just about the girl, many unanswered questions:
how did she get her O'levels and Jamb?
what about the Jamb pre screening and test?
who were her lecturers ?
who really goes home with the blames?student,lecturer,govt,parents
Terrible. . .things fall apart ! ! !
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Texcee(f): 12:39pm On May 05, 2008
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Uche2nna(m): 2:35pm On May 05, 2008
nuzo:

You mind telling us the difference between speaking and writing?

As strange as it may sound, there is a big difference between writing and speaking.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Dreloaded(f): 2:38pm On May 05, 2008
IPBM, I am waiting for you oooooooo Lmao. Oloshi grin
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Dreloaded(f): 3:56pm On May 05, 2008
Hahhaha look at sermon. I had to call you out from your hiding place of shame.

Who's going to read that rubbish? Nothing changes the fact that knowing computer o or not knowing how to use one, the dude could at least speak bloody english.  tongue

Your excuses mean nothing. A girl coasting by all the way til bloody NYSC and she couldbnt even teach primary school students. Lmao and you have the auydacity to come and try to compare notes. Stfu jare. Alailojuti. Olori Bu.   cheesy

Btw Ekiti and Ondo are different states, illiterate monkey grin
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by iice(f): 4:15pm On May 05, 2008
This is not new. I had a NYSC lady as a teacher back in high school.
She could barely speak english as in she only knew very few words. It was embarassing.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Nobody: 4:20pm On May 05, 2008
Miss Ifeoma my namesake why you disgrace me like this, mmhh! embarassed grin
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by oziomatv(m): 4:43pm On May 05, 2008
In a situation like this she should stick to what she knows best than expossing her secret.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Dreloaded(f): 4:45pm On May 05, 2008
4 years? primary school, secondary school and university are all done in 4 years now?

Has it been that long since I left Nigeria?
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by oziomatv(m): 4:47pm On May 05, 2008
I hope this is not a tribal war IGBO Vs Yoruba? Such thing happens everywhere in the world, let's tackle issues the way it is.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Uche2nna(m): 4:49pm On May 05, 2008
oziomatv:

I hope this is not a tribal war[b] IGBO Vs Yoruba[/b]? Such thing happens everywhere in the world, let's tackle issues the way it is.

We always make it out to be that way.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by oziomatv(m): 4:54pm On May 05, 2008
Uche2nna:

We always make it out to be that way.
And what heve been the outcome? turning it into a personal disput as it's about to start now (if not started). people don't have shame.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Nobody: 5:01pm On May 05, 2008
That is what majority of Nigerians are known for. Very stupid beings.

Tribe this, tribe that. . . . . . and this tribe has even dragged so backward.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by SENATORJD(m): 5:02pm On May 05, 2008
ok its a war Yoruba vs Igbo, let the blood shed begin cry
all u folks that attribute tribe to everything, i detest such
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by oziomatv(m): 5:12pm On May 05, 2008
I tire o.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Dreloaded(f): 6:33pm On May 05, 2008
perhaps you should all whine to your king, IPBM and Mohadana and tell them to stop their bullshit
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by oziomatv(m): 6:46pm On May 05, 2008
I'll do that personally, to calm your temper.
Besides, what are they talking about me on the other thread? Tell your little sister to keep what ever she knows for herself.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Dreloaded(f): 6:48pm On May 05, 2008
oziomatv:

Besides, what are they talking about me on the other thread? Tell your little sister to keep what ever she knows for herself.

which thread?
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by oziomatv(m): 6:51pm On May 05, 2008
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Afam(m): 7:12pm On May 05, 2008
A good reason to push for a new and comfortable official language - Pidgin English
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by 4Play(m): 7:14pm On May 05, 2008
Its obvious this story has been 'spiced' up.Who is more laughable,the lady in question or the people who take such stories at face value?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

NYSC Posting: FG Insists On North Deployment / Which Community Is The Best To Serve In Delta State? / NYSC Marriage For 500,000 Naira But I'm Afraid Of Her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.