Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,355 members, 7,819,259 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:27 PM

Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English - NYSC (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English (9182 Views)

NYSC Director Berates Youth Corpers Who Cannot Speak Simple English / Some NYSC Members Can’t Speak English Language- NYSC DG / Many Nigerian NYSC Corpers Can’t Read Or Write – Brigadier General Nnamdi Okore- (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Go Down)

Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Dreloaded(f): 7:30pm On May 05, 2008
4 Play:

Its obvious this story has been 'spiced' up.Who is more laughable,the lady in question or the people who take such stories at face value?

is the computer professor that is ignorant of the workings of a computer a spiced up story too?
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Dreloaded(f): 7:31pm On May 05, 2008
oziomatv:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=131326.msg2225357#msg2225357

Oh. well I already told them you were Funmi's man yet they dont wnat to believe me
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by 4Play(m): 7:32pm On May 05, 2008
D-reloaded:

is the computer professor that is ignorant of the workings of a computer a spiced up story too?

Of course its spiced up.Anytime a newstory sounds ridiculous,chances are that journalists have added 'salt and pepper' to it.If anybody actually believes that a University Prof knows next to nothing about computers,that person needs help.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by oziomatv(m): 7:41pm On May 05, 2008
D-reloaded:

Oh. well I already told them you were Funmi's man yet they don't wnat to believe me
Are you out of your mind or what?
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Dreloaded(f): 7:42pm On May 05, 2008
perhaps.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by oziomatv(m): 7:49pm On May 05, 2008
D-reloaded:

perhaps.
No comment.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Dreloaded(f): 7:50pm On May 05, 2008
Ok then

and hopefully you realize the funmi shit is a joke. If not, there's no hope for you again
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by 4Play(m): 7:54pm On May 05, 2008
See these 2 lovebirds. grin
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by oziomatv(m): 7:55pm On May 05, 2008
You funny girl, stop cracking my ribs with chaps.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by oziomatv(m): 7:56pm On May 05, 2008
am off,
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by sheniqua: 11:30pm On May 05, 2008
who is this IPMB ?
his style of writing is so familiar.
Could he be donzman? lipsrsealed
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by sheniqua: 11:38pm On May 05, 2008
@ nuzo,abeg no vex say I mention Ezzamgbo.
Didn't mean any harm.
Anybody thinking this girl passed through any school is just nuts.
Certificates are bought and sold in all nooks and crannies of Naija.
@TOH this is a Nigerian problem,that the girl here happens to be Igbo means absolutely nothing.
4HIm told us earlier of his distant cousin that's soon to be a graduate who can only speak Yoruba.
She may make the Nigerian dailies when she gets posted to Abakaliki for NYSC cheesy
The computer science professor is an idiot not because of his tribe but because of the general decay in the entity called Nigeria.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by naijaway(m): 11:55pm On May 05, 2008
Oh !!!! This has been a national disaster for many years now, It is unfortunate about the lady not being able to speak or write but why does she possess a graduate degree in Nigeria where it is compulsory to pass that and the case about the so called computer illiterate prof. Well the one problem for sure is lack of accountability and expos in schools. Our educational system has been in grave danger; it lacks praticals, it lacks in student-teacher morals, it is embedded in extraordinary partialities etc.  The only face saving thing is dat it can be remodeled to be one of the best because of the brains naijas possess ; eg like making it possible to fail and try again not by waiting for one year but any month that you feel ready for instance, say you write your WAEC/JAMB/NECO/GCE or watever, you should be allowed to rewrite it every month as long as you were enlisted that year, it should have a limit of three times for a year before you'r being advised to reapply for the next year. All national exams like WAEC/JAMB/NECO/GCE should be supervised by teachers and surveillance cameras or some form of massive technology being networked to some form of central agency, so that if someone argues that they were cheatings going on, it can be retrieved; they should also have some form of accountability for identifying and correcting all forms of cheatings in the campuses. It is all about visions and Standards but many make it look like some type of rocket science.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Dreloaded(f): 12:47am On May 06, 2008
I'm just paying IPBM in kind osisi grin

and I'd be VERY disappointed if that's Donzman angry
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by OsunAmazon: 5:49am On May 06, 2008
This story may have been overrated. I think her english proficiency may be poor but that doesnt mean she cannot speak or write english besides, english is not the only test of knowledge,so I dont know how you people can completely discredit her degree because of english language. My written yoruba is poor till today and I struggled with it in high school but i later moved to America and concentrated on the sciences and built my career. Will you discredit my wasc because of p8 in yoruba or claim that I used bottom power to get a pharm D because of poor written yoruba?

About the professor that cannot operate a laptop, whats the big deal here? Operating a laptop is different from computer science. So many Nigerian doctors I bet you cannot use the modern equipments we have in American hospitals but they are very good doctors, will you discredit his medical degree because he cannot use the modern equipments? Nobody knows the archetype of the computer the poor man uses to write his codes. may be he has macintosh(that's what most professional programmers use here anyway) and has never been exposed to windows. The media can be a bitch.

Whats going on with Nigerians sef? can we support each other please and try to see the media from every angle bfore passing judgement?
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by OsunAmazon: 5:53am On May 06, 2008
I hope this is not a tribal war IGBO Vs Yoruba? Such thing happens everywhere in the world, let's tackle issues the way it is.
Lol, lots of juvenile tribal idiots on this site.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Kobojunkie: 7:00am On May 06, 2008
OsunAmazon:

This story may have been overrated. I think her english proficiency may be poor but that doesnt mean she cannot speak or write english besides, english is not the only test of knowledge,so I don't know how you people can completely discredit her degree because of english language. My written yoruba is poor till today and I struggled with it in high school but i later moved to America and concentrated on the sciences and built my career. Will you discredit my wasc because of p8 in yoruba or claim that I used bottom power to get a pharm D because of poor written yoruba?

About the professor that cannot operate a laptop, whats the big deal here? Operating a laptop is different from computer science. So many Nigerian doctors I bet you cannot use the modern equipments we have in American hospitals but they are very good doctors, will you discredit his medical degree because he cannot use the modern equipments? Nobody knows the archetype of the computer the poor man uses to write his codes. may be he has macintosh(that's what most professional programmers use here anyway) and has never been exposed to windows. The media can be a bitch.

Whats going on with Nigerians sef? can we support each other please and try to see the media from every angle bfore passing judgement?

Can we please stop decieving ourselves and try to make lame excuses This lady supposedly went through 6 YEARS of primary school training to acquire at least basic English language knowledge and come out being able to speak and write. She then supposedly passed through a 6 YEAR secondary school process to help solidify what she learnt in primary school and equip her with better English writing skills. She had to at some point have sat for the WAEC and the JAMB exams which are also designed to test the English knowledge of our students in various ways. Finally she attended a university for 4 YEARS to come out with a degree and all you have to say is her English proficiency is poor and that is your excuse??
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by OsunAmazon: 7:27am On May 06, 2008
Can we please stop decieving ourselves and try to make lame excuses  This lady supposedly went through 6 YEARS of primary school training to acquire at least basic English language knowledge and come out being able to speak and write. She then supposedly passed through a 6 YEAR secondary school process to help solidify what she learnt in primary school and equip her with better English writing skills. She had to at some point have sat for the WAEC and the JAMB exams which are also designed to test the English knowledge of our students in various ways. Finally she attended a university for 4 YEARS to come out with a degree and all you have to say is her English proficiency is poor and that is your excuse??

You and I know how the media skew their stories. English is only but a language and being too good in it is not a true test of intelligence. It's not as if she has a degree in english or literature. There is a strong conviction here that she has a poor command of spoken english.   I am not sure that you that is crucifying her can boast of a standard written and spoken english assuming we decide to check the nitty gritty of all your posts here.  I don't  care how Nigerian education system has fallen, there is no way she can hire helps to do all those exams and manage to graduate. If hired help got her through GCe and JaMB, what about the middle school english exams? what about the ones you write as freshers and  sophomores in Nigerian universities? The truth about bottom power is that it can take you to an extent and stop because either a female lecturere comes along the line or a male lecturer that will rather die than sleep with you.

And the computer professor that cannot operate a laptop is dumb too abi?
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Kobojunkie: 7:43am On May 06, 2008
OsunAmazon:

You and I know how the media skew their stories. English is only but a language and being too good in it is not a true test of intelligence. It's not as if she has a degree in english or literature. There is a strong conviction here that she has a poor command of spoken english. I am not sure that you that is crucifying her can boast of a standard written and spoken english assuming we decide to check the nitty gritty of all your posts here. I don't care how Nigerian education system has fallen, there is no way she can hire helps to do all those exams and manage to graduate. If hired help got her through GCe and JaMB, what about the middle school english exams? what about the ones you write as freshers and sophomores in Nigerian universities? The truth about bottom power is that it can take you to an extent and stop because either a female lecturere comes along the line or a male lecturer that will rather die than sleep with you.

Here is the problem with the excuse you are trying to make for her. We all know you do not have to be excellent or know all the words in the dictionary to speak or write the English language or any language out there. There are people who are great in one area , that are not too good in the other but are at least able to express themselves in the language and effectively communicate their ideas when needed. This is required at the graduate level. What this report is saying is that she was found to be unable to do any of the two.
I don’t know if she bribed anyone to do her exams for her or slept her way up that ladder, fact is you need to have a good command of the English language to at least pass through a good school system in that country. How do you pass any course taught you in English if you can not even understand what you are being asked in class or what you read in text books??

Imagine if all the courses where taught in French. How do you pass a course in French language or any other course taught you using the French language, if you can not speak or write well, in French? We can both sit from today to the morrow, trying to decide how truthful the media has been in reporting this but I am sorry, considering that I passed through the same system, I understand how this may be close to the truth of her situation and that of many others out there.

The report also points out that she was screened by a secondary school principal, and not an English college professor.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by naijaking1: 1:21pm On May 06, 2008
Thanks for bringing this discussion back on track.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Nobody: 2:04pm On May 06, 2008
You and I know how the media skew their stories. English is only but a language and being too good in it is not a true test of intelligence. It's not as if she has a degree in english or literature.

Neither being "too bad" in it should serve as a means to hide behind the facade of it "not a true test of intelligence" when we all know English is widely spoken in Nigeria. By the way, do one need to have a degree in English and literature to know the primary basics of the language?
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Dreloaded(f): 4:20pm On May 06, 2008
disgracing herself as usual cheesy
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by sheniqua: 4:35pm On May 06, 2008
is that hot funmi again with her 10th moniker?
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by 2Legit: 4:36pm On May 06, 2008
stillwater:

Neither being "too bad" in it should serve as a means to hide behind the facade of it "not a true test of intelligence" when we all know English is widely spoken in Nigeria. By the way, do one need to have a degree in English and literature to know the primary basics of the language?

Are you also uneducated? what kind of grammar is that?
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by sheniqua: 4:41pm On May 06, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Can we please stop decieving ourselves and try to make lame excuses This lady supposedly went through 6 YEARS of primary school training to acquire at least basic English language knowledge and come out being able to speak and write. She then supposedly passed through a 6 YEAR secondary school process to help solidify what she learnt in primary school and equip her with better English writing skills. She had to at some point have sat for the WAEC and the JAMB exams which are also designed to test the English knowledge of our students in various ways. Finally she attended a university for 4 YEARS to come out with a degree and all you have to say is her English proficiency is poor and that is your excuse??

The more I ponder on this story,the more confused I get.
How possible is it that any body under 25 who was not "quarantined"in Nigeria does not speak some English in the southern parts of NIgeria? (awusa na another tory)
Just by association, even my trader uncle can travel abroad and conduct his businesses and ship his Okirika home  grin
He didn't go to school
I agree somewhat with Osun amazon that the media might have blown it out of proportion
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by sheniqua: 4:44pm On May 06, 2008
2Legit:

ah ah!
was that necessary?
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Nobody: 4:46pm On May 06, 2008

Yes I am. cheesy
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Dreloaded(f): 5:01pm On May 06, 2008
Lol now the media i blowing it out of proportions. For the other stories from other states, the media was right on target but for some reason this one is so "unique" that the media is blowing it out of proportion. Lmao  grin

Apparently some of you are in complete denial of how corrupt Nigeria is, or perhaps you only want to believe it's corrupt in other states and not yours. Wa pe nbe!  cool

and yes it's her again, yarning her usual dust. even seun can't stand usual irrational garbage hence the numerous bannings  tongue
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by OsunAmazon: 5:32pm On May 06, 2008
How do you pass any course taught you in English if you can not even understand what you are being asked in class or what you read in text books??
Wouldn't that sound strange to you too? Is that not a proof that the story was blown out of proportion? journalists will have to make a living, won't they?. All I know is that she may speak bad english, write horrible essays but that does not equate to her IQ. Again, there is no way she will go through the whole school system without coming across one ruthless teacher that will never let her through unless she's worth it. I think Nigerians are so used to negative stories that we forget to use our 6th sense anytime the media comes up with one. Imagine the response on the professor that cannot use a laptop? George W Bush has a very bad spoken english and it's no secret but he graduated from  YALE. Mind you, english is his primary language.

95% of those making noise about this woman write terrible english here whilst hiding under typo so I think we should take the speck out from our eye first before pointing at the girl.

For some of these juvenile tribal dime a dozen broads that can never make a meaningful contribution here besides calling names and showing us their proficiency in quarelling and ghetto language, it' not their fault. I blame their parents for not doing their jobs very well.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Kobojunkie: 5:56pm On May 06, 2008
OsunAmazon:

Wouldn't that sound strange to you too? Is that not a proof that the story was blown out of proportion? journalists will have to make a living, won't they?. All I know is that she may speak bad english, write horrible essays but that does not equate to her IQ. Again, there is no way she will go through the whole school system without coming across one ruthless teacher that will never let her through unless she's worth it. I think Nigerians are so used to negative stories that we forget to use our 6th sense anytime the media comes up with one. Imagine the response on the professor that cannot use a laptop? George W Bush has a very bad spoken english and it's no secret but he graduated from  YALE. Mind you, english is his primary language.

95% of those making noise about this woman write terrible english here whilst hiding under typo so I think we should take the speck out from our eye first before pointing at the girl.

For some of these juvenile tribal dime a dozen broads that can never make a meaningful contribution here besides calling names and showing us their proficiency in quarelling and ghetto language, it' not their fault. I blame their parents for not doing their jobs very well.

Now you are just being silly. NO, it is not strange to me as I have actually seen people who claim to have college degrees in Nigeria that have a seriously poor command of the English language that I always assumed they were lying to me but deep down, since I have been through the system, I can understand how it could be possible. I am not sure if you have ever been on campus on Nigeria before but take a trip and you might see what others who believe it is possible this story is true, know, that you do not seem to get.

Instead of trying to make excuses, go see what others have seen and know. Ever wonder why people are made to take the TOEFL exam before they move here for school from Nigeria That might be someplace for you to start. I already pointed to all parts of the story that make it credible and all you can come back with is cause you can not IMAGINE how it could happen is reason why it is not possible and GW does not know how to speak English. Keep it up!!! Maybe with all the excuses, you may be able to get her a job.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Dreloaded(f): 6:23pm On May 06, 2008
Better to only speak with "ghetto" language than make so called discussions that have YET to make any sense. At least our own parents planned us and provided as opposed to sending us off to milk cows for oyibo people. Eru oshi.

Who's the one that keeps getting banned between you and the rest of us  grin

Madam "why do boys have erections" "libertarianism is the same as communism". Lmfao. Ode.
Re: Nysc Candidate Can't Speak Or Write English by Texcee(f): 6:31pm On May 06, 2008
D-reloaded:

For the other stories from other states, the media was right on target but for some reason this one is so "unique" that the media is blowing it out of proportion. Lmao grin

Very good observation ! tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

NYSC Posting: FG Insists On North Deployment / Which Community Is The Best To Serve In Delta State? / NYSC Marriage For 500,000 Naira But I'm Afraid Of Her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.