Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,327 members, 7,811,965 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:51 AM

Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's (25439 Views)

World's Largest Pig Farm In Kano / The Forgotten Groundnut Pyramids Of Northern Nigeria (Photos) / Picture: President Jonathan And The Rice Pyramids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by ballabriggs: 7:01pm On Jun 10, 2013
I look at how beautiful these things look and I ask why did we let it go. Granted we may have found new ways of storing our crops. However, this site is one we could have turn into a tourist location and we should never have let the pyramids go. The intangible benefits, the ornamental feature of these pyramids is so so unquantifiable.

Sokoto has a rich history and culture. The caliphate, the Durbar, the Sultan's palace and a whole lot of tour sites that we could have developed over the years. Integrate these sites, build nice resorts, strike deals with tour providers, the Thomas Cook, the Thomson's, the Cosmos, to give you customers to visit these sites. Locals benefit, Government benefits, the tourists benefits, airlines and travel agents; and everyone is happy.

These unique things is what will catch the fancy of tourists and it is no too late to start developing them again instead of spending time bombing ourselves.

1 Like

Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by ACM10: 7:14pm On Jun 10, 2013
BLACKPANTHER:
U even price am well. Am from the North,28 barrels"ll equate the whole bags MUMU. May b ur laughing, u just dnt knw wht oil will b by the next ten years abi?

Maybe it will be what groundnut is today. Make una go back to groundnut production na. Why una dey suck oil in the south like vampire?
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by blesszzy(m): 7:29pm On Jun 10, 2013
wow!!! this is great
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by Rossikk(m): 7:42pm On Jun 10, 2013
tpia@:

The company packaging the peanuts might be owned by a nigerian, and besides, ghanaians possibly consume more peanuts than nigerians do, since they also use theirs in sauce, unlike most nigerians. They even have their own locally made peanut butter.

Besides, they might be importing peanuts from nigeria, who knows.

However, i do see your point, nothing prevents nigerians from packaging peanuts also.

Look, we TARGET those African countries like Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone, and even further afield, that use peanuts in their food etc. We mass produce peanut butter in our factories, package it, brand it, and sell them. We'll make a lot more than by just exporting raw groundnuts. We have so many graduates in this country yet some us still think as if we're still under the British, with their groundnut pyramids!
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by nanaboi(m): 8:00pm On Jun 10, 2013
@ tpia@, u don't get the point. Even if a Nigerian owns the packaging company, the fact remains that the address on the peanut is Ghanaian.

Now the main point u're missing is this: with all our peanut, we can't brag about products made of peanut and MADE IN NIGERIA. U said it urself that u think Ghana has locally made cocoa butter. If we have peanut like statistics suggest, then Ghana & several otha places should be our markets & NOT the other way round.

I don't see the situation changing much anytime soon though. For starters, the said Ghana (still) has better power situation than Nigeria. Someone please remind me how Ghana generates her power?
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by ikenga67: 8:09pm On Jun 10, 2013
Rossikk: Firstly, even without 'pyramids' Nigeria is fourth in global peanut production, after China, India and the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peanut

Second, stop this unnecessary nostalgia. Nations are moving beyond dependence on exporting raw commodities and cash crops. The emphasis now is on value-addition. You add value to your raw materials by innovation and manufacturing, and yield far higher returns when you sell the products at home and abroad, helping to boost local incomes, economic activity, and employment.

Instead of loading up raw peanuts in pyramids for export, create industries close to this source that manufacture stuff from peanuts:

''Paint, varnish, lubricating oil, leather dressings, furniture polish, insecticides, and nitroglycerin are made from peanut oil. Soap is made from saponified oil, and many cosmetics contain peanut oil and its derivatives.''

This is what we should be doing with our raw materials. Adding value.

Where is the value-added in crude oil exportation? What is wrong with feeling nostalgic for a time when our economy was actually diversified and there were many centers of economic empowerement?
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by ballabriggs: 8:09pm On Jun 10, 2013
A lot of the 'Ghana cocoa' chocolates you see in the stores actually contain cocoa from Nigeria. Same with Moroccan leather with animal hide from Sokoto red goats.
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by sarutobie(m): 8:18pm On Jun 10, 2013
Rossikk: Firstly, even without 'pyramids' Nigeria is fourth in global peanut production, after China, India and the United States.

Second, stop this unnecessary nostalgia. Nations are moving beyond dependence on exporting raw commodities and cash crops. The emphasis now is on value-addition. You add value to your raw materials by innovation and manufacturing, and yield far higher returns when you sell the products at home and abroad, helping to boost local incomes, economic activity, and employment.

Instead of loading up raw peanuts in pyramids for export, create industries close to this source that manufacture stuff from peanuts:

''Paint, varnish, lubricating oil, leather dressings, furniture polish, insecticides, and nitroglycerin are made from peanut oil. Soap is made from saponified oil, and many cosmetics contain peanut oil and its derivatives.''

This guy has a good head on his shoulders..what he is saying in simple terms is,industries are what we need not raw materials because we definitely have the raw materials in abundance.when you sell a barrel of palm oil to oyibo at 10$,he turns it into finished goods..from that same barrel,he produces soaps,creams,beverages, and sells them back to you at times 10 the amount he bought the barrels from you wey get the raw materials plenty..una don understand?

2 Likes

Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by mu2sa2: 8:18pm On Jun 10, 2013

But you must first have the groundnut before you add value to it. So let the pyramids return and value addition will follow.
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by Rossikk(m): 8:22pm On Jun 10, 2013
ikenga67:

Where is the value-added in crude oil exportation? What is wrong with feeling nostalgic for a time when our economy was actually diversified and there were many centers of economic empowerement?

Our refineries are operating at over 60% capacity at present, so there is some value addition taking place in the oil sector. In today's competitive world, exports of raw groundnuts do not constitute economic empowerment, but rather, signal economic dependence and underdevelopment. India produces far more groundnuts than Nigeria ever has. But they export only 14% of their annual yield. The rest is taken up by local industries producing peanut oil and other various items for their home market and for export. That's development.
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by Abagworo(m): 8:32pm On Jun 10, 2013
Rossikk:

Our refineries are operating at over 60% capacity at present, so there is some value addition taking place in the oil sector. In today's competitive world, exports of raw groundnuts do not constitute economic empowerment, but rather, signal economic dependence and underdevelopment. India produces far more groundnuts than Nigeria ever has. But they export only 14% of their annual yield. The rest is taken up by local industries producing peanut oil and other various items for the local market and for export. That's development.

My friend you are a very big liar. Port Harcourt refinery is not functioning and you are claiming 60% where did you get that from. If our refineries work at 60% we will start export of some finished products.
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by ikenga67: 8:38pm On Jun 10, 2013
Rossikk:

Our refineries are operating at over 60% capacity at present, so there is some value addition taking place in the oil sector. In today's competitive world, exports of raw groundnuts do not constitute economic empowerment, but rather, signal economic dependence and underdevelopment. India produces far more groundnuts than Nigeria ever has. But they export only 14% of their annual yield. The rest is taken up by local industries producing peanut oil and other various items for their home market and for export. That's development.

I asked about crude oil exportation and you are telling me about refining done for domestic consumption. Or are we exporting refined petroluem products now? I dont understand you logic - so you are advocating that if we cannot add value to agricultural products, we should just discourage their production to avoid "economic dependence? Go and tell the cocoa farmer in the West, the groundnut farmer in the North and the palm oil farmer in the east that their products do not empower them and their families economically because they are exported in the raw state they products left their farms!
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by Rossikk(m): 8:40pm On Jun 10, 2013
Abagworo:

My friend you are a very big liar. Port Harcourt refinery is not functioning and you are claiming 60% where did you get that from. If our refineries work at 60% we will start export of some finished products.

When last did you step foot in Port Harcourt refinery to know its state of operation?

You DO realise you cannot gauge its operations from your local beer parlour?

Excerpts:

Three Nigerian refineries producing beyond 60% capacities

May 3, 2013

The management of the state-run Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) has said that the production of premium motor spirit (PMS) at three of its refineries has reached a combined level of 10.23 million litres per day ie over 60% of installed capacities.

An NNPC statement on Thursday in Abuja quoted the Group Executive Director of Refining and Petrochemicals, Anthony Ogbuigwe, as saying the Kaduna Refining and Petrochemical Company was currently running at 65%; Warri Refining and Petrochemical Company at 63%; and Port Harcourt Refining and Petrochemical Company at 66% of installed capacities.

According to Ogbuigwe, the refineries are currently producing 5.53 million litres of dual purpose kerosene daily and 8.016 million litres of automotive gas oil or diesel daily.

“I can tell you with every sense of responsibility that contrary to the news making the round, all our refineries are doing very well. The major components and various units of Fluid Catalytic Cracking Units, Crude Distillation Unit and Vacuum Distillation Unit of all the refineries are working well. In fact, these refineries have been running consistently for over three months now,” he said.

http://en.starafrica.com/news/three-nigerian-refineries-producing-beyond-60-capacities-official.html
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by ikenga67: 8:41pm On Jun 10, 2013
Abagworo:

See!! I didnt even know that. People could just bandy statistics around. Listen people, you are entitled to your own opinions and judgements, you are not entitled to your own facts. If you must use facts and figures to make your arguments please be sure that you are giving the correct "facts"
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by Rossikk(m): 8:54pm On Jun 10, 2013
ikenga67:

I asked about crude oil exportation and you are telling me about refining done for domestic consumption. Or are we exporting refined petroluem products now? I dont understand you logic - so you are advocating that if we cannot add value to agricultural products, we should just discourage their production to avoid "economic dependence?

Who said anything about ''cannot''? I never said we ''cannot''. I said we CAN and we SHOULD add value.

Go and tell the cocoa farmer in the West, the groundnut farmer in the North and the palm oil farmer in the east that their products do not empower them and their families economically because they are exported in the raw state they products left their farms!

Dude, their counterparts in other parts of the world do not deal in peasant farming of cocoa and groundnuts for a pittance which you call empowerment. They deal in mass production via mechanized farming and modern techniques which create cheap products that target local value-adding industries, which in turn purchase in bulk off them, leading to genuine wealth for farmers. This is why farming communities in the west are so well off. Drive through rural England or the US and see how their farmers live. Very wealthy.
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by leseylex: 9:00pm On Jun 10, 2013
I don't know why you are wasting your breathe, some people will never get it!
Rossikk:

Who said anything about ''cannot''. I never said we ''cannot''. I said we CAN and we SHOULD add value.

Dude, their counterparts in other parts of the world do not deal in peasant farming of cocoa and groundnuts for a pittance which you call empowerment. They deal in mass production via mechanized farming and modern techniques which create cheap products that target value adding industries, which in turn purchase in bulk off them, leading to genuine wealth for farmers. This is why farming communities in the west are so well off. Drive through rural England or the US and see how their farmers live. Very wealthy.
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by nijanigga: 9:09pm On Jun 10, 2013
After reading this article you will less optimistic about Nigeria.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/100803602?__source=yahoo|finance|headline|headline|story&par=yahoo&doc=100803602|Sub-Saharan%20Africa%20Has%20%27R
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by Abagworo(m): 9:27pm On Jun 10, 2013
Most governments in the world pay subsidy to farmers not oil marketers. Farming machinery are distributed at subsidized rate. Nigerian farmers also used to be the richest before corruption enriched politicians and tricksters. In some parts of Igboland the most respected title was "Ezeji" long before Whitemen came to Africa. In the Southwest, the former tallest building in Nigeria was the "Cocoa House" Ibadan built from Cocoa proceeds! All these died as a result of corruption and neglect. Nigeria produces chocolates just in case some of you didn't know. Ecclairs is produced in Nigeria and so also is Choco-milo. Chocolate drinks have more than 50 b rands produced in Nigeria as well as other beverages.

1 Like

Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by Bsmartt(m): 9:39pm On Jun 10, 2013
thank you @onila. how i wish our dear government and politicians will reflect on this post and some other neglected agricultural produce in the country.the best ever way to sustain any economy is a vibrant,sustainable and mechanized agriculture. my recommendation is that if the Government is not seeing the prospects in agriculture let we the citizenry explore the huge benefits in the sector no mattter your course of study or your area of specialization.peace
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by redsun(m): 9:49pm On Jun 10, 2013
All those structures could have easily be transform into monuments,buildings and metal structures that show cases human ingenuities in creating and making marks.

If only nigeria was a country.
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by Rossikk(m): 9:50pm On Jun 10, 2013
redsun: All those structures could have easily be transform into monuments,buildings and metal structures that show cases human ingenuities in creating and making marks.

Now I've heard it all.
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by akintun: 9:53pm On Jun 10, 2013
It seems dat Rossikk is far more sophisticated than d people he his arguing with. Why waste time on arranging pyramid when there are better ways of storing d groundnut. D largest producer of groundnut today is not arranging them in pyramids. Our thinking should actually shift from only raw materials to both raw materials and value added products.
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by redsun(m): 9:55pm On Jun 10, 2013
Rossikk:

Now I've heard it all.

What haven't you heard?Picture a real pyramid and try and get a glimpse of what that stands for.Your mind will never run wide,that is why you lick asse.s.
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by Ninilowo(m): 9:56pm On Jun 10, 2013
Mr Aboki: See groundnut pyramids in 2013:

grin
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by chessguru1(m): 10:13pm On Jun 10, 2013
Rossikk:

When last did you step foot in Port Harcourt refinery to know its state of operation?

You DO realise you cannot gauge its operations from your local beer parlour?

Excerpts:

Three Nigerian refineries producing beyond 60% capacities

May 3, 2013

The management of the state-run Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) has said that the production of premium motor spirit (PMS) at three of its refineries has reached a combined level of 10.23 million litres per day ie over 60% of installed capacities.

An NNPC statement on Thursday in Abuja quoted the Group Executive Director of Refining and Petrochemicals, Anthony Ogbuigwe, as saying the Kaduna Refining and Petrochemical Company was currently running at 65%; Warri Refining and Petrochemical Company at 63%; and Port Harcourt Refining and Petrochemical Company at 66% of installed capacities.

According to Ogbuigwe, the refineries are currently producing 5.53 million litres of dual purpose kerosene daily and 8.016 million litres of automotive gas oil or diesel daily.

“I can tell you with every sense of responsibility that contrary to the news making the round, all our refineries are doing very well. The major components and various units of Fluid Catalytic Cracking Units, Crude Distillation Unit and Vacuum Distillation Unit of all the refineries are working well. In fact, these refineries have been running consistently for over three months now,” he said.

http://en.starafrica.com/news/three-nigerian-refineries-producing-beyond-60-capacities-official.html
^^ @ the bolded J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ got me laffing hard. Did he say port harcourt refinery isn't working??
Then my uncle that has been on morning duty 4 d past week goes to do what there?? Na wa oo
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by biafranqueen: 10:27pm On Jun 10, 2013
yes it is
PAGAN 9JA:
Isnt this Dangotes Grandfathers business
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by chessguru1(m): 10:48pm On Jun 10, 2013
redsun: All those structures could have easily be transform into monuments,buildings and metal structures that show cases human ingenuities in creating and making marks.

If only nigeria was a country.
Loooool another funny poster!! grin
Am gonna hang on a limb here and assume you really got no clue of what this thread is all about, and what the train of thought has been so far.
If I get you correctly, what you are saying is....eh we could easily turn the "pyramids" of sacks of GROUNDNUTS into buildings cheesy , structures cheesy, and landmarks cheesy
What engineering / economical sense are you making here mate?
Is it that the name "pyramid" is confusing u like its confusing so many NLanders ?
A pyramid is J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ a blimey shape 4 crying out loud, we can put so much sentiments in things.

1 Like

Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by redsun(m): 11:08pm On Jun 10, 2013
chess guru:
Am gonna hang on a limb here and assume you really got no clue of what this thread is all about, and what the train of thought has been so far.
If I get you correctly, what you are saying is....eh we could easily turn the "pyramids" of sacks of GROUNDNUTS into buildings cheesy , structures cheesy, and landmarks cheesy
Is it that the name "pyramid" is confusing u like its confusing so many NLanders ?
A pyramid is J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ a blimey shape 4 crying out loud, we can put so much sentiments in things.

Putting that groundnut structures in place takes accurate calculation,brute strength,team work,tactical resourcefulness,responsibilities and perfect delivery.It could be replicated in building edifices,bridges,roads,schools,refineries,hospitals and all those mundane essentials of life that nigeria lacks chronically today.

That structure shows the strength of a people that were working hard and thinking.A people that had hopes.Not what one can say of today's nigeria with thoughtless sycophants like rossike all abound.
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by Nobody: 11:50pm On Jun 10, 2013
Nawtipet:
*Carries Newspaper to read*, *yawns*...* falls asleep*
Dat is why u wud 4eva remain an ignoramus.U indigent,slow-thinking,ova-putrified, remains of a retarded homo -habilis.
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by omenka(m): 12:13am On Jun 11, 2013
Rossikk:

The problem is you people do not follow developments in Nigeria. You think you know the country but you don't. Nigeria is fourth in global peanut production, after China, India and the United States, even without 'pyramids'.

http://www.fas.usda.gov/psdonline/psdreport.aspx?hidReportRetrievalName=BVS&hidReportRetrievalID=918&hidReportRetrievalTemplateID=1#ancor

I reckon we probably have more sophisticated methods of storing our grain these days. I don't see China or USA flaunting ''groundnut pyramids'' even though they're the world's biggest producers.

This is the same Nigeria you say agriculture has ''collapsed'', with some peabrain posting market women selling in trays above as representing our groundnut exports. That's the ignorance caused by laziness to research or go out there and see what is really happening, rather than sitting in your beer parlour thinking you know what you really don't know.

And you must be the 'barman' to to hav such precise knowledge abt how much tym we spend in the beer palour. Dundee..
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by MrAboki: 12:20am On Jun 11, 2013
nanaboi: @Rossikk, it must be excruciatingly exasperating to join issues with these a**wipes on here that can't understand sense in wateva languague it's conveyed.

@topic, has anyone bothered to check the manufacturers' addy on the common peanut that sells (for N50 currently) like satchet water in most neighbourhoods? Aboki kiosks no dey miss get am.
That stuff bears a Ghanaian addy. Shame coz we're 4th behind 3 countries & Ghana is not even 1 of them; but, apparentli, they know wat 2 do with peanuts & we don't. Pathetic.

And in your books, packaging processed peanuts is the thing to do with hose pyramids of groundnuts abi?

These processed peanuts were not in existence when these groundnut pyramids existed.. Groundnuts like palm kennel has so many uses. Both industrial and edible use. Some examples include; Oil production, cosmetics, dye, food, fuel, Medicine, e.t.c....

Ghanaian use of groundnuts is only one out of many.
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by MrAboki: 12:24am On Jun 11, 2013
chess guru:

I doubt you understood the post you quoted at all..
The poster wasn't saying build hospitals and houses with groundnut sacks, he was simply saying those sacks cold have been sold and the profit used to build structures and fund projects such as hospitals etc. one pyramid could have fetched enough money to build a hospital or a market or something. I believe that's what the op was driving at. I don't think his post was literal in its translation.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria’s Agric Export Surges To Highest On Record, Here Are The Top Items / A Trip To The Biggest Pig Farm In Africa – Oke Aro Piggery Farm / Food Supply From Noerthern Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.