Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,312 members, 7,811,927 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:53 PM

Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's (25438 Views)

World's Largest Pig Farm In Kano / The Forgotten Groundnut Pyramids Of Northern Nigeria (Photos) / Picture: President Jonathan And The Rice Pyramids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by Jonwesley(m): 6:37am On Jun 11, 2013
Come to think of it, how were these bags arranged this way? Was there a crane to help at this time?
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by nanaboi(m): 7:21am On Jun 11, 2013
@Mr. Aboki, if u read my post after the one u quoted, u'd have found I already answered ur worry.

I doubt you understood the post you quoted at all..
The poster wasn't saying build hospitals and houses with groundnut sacks, he was simply saying those sacks cold have been sold and the profit used to build structures and fund projects such as hospitals etc. one pyramid could have fetched enough money to build a hospital or a market or something. I believe that's what the op was driving at. I don't think his post was literal in its translation.

That right there put the last nail on ur coffin. Requiscant in pace.
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by VALIDATOR: 7:33am On Jun 11, 2013
@Rossike raised valid points and many guys here just criticize without deep examination. What is the purpose of raw materials without values added? The values that you add is what really turns to money these days.Not the raw materials themselves. This is why I always believe that our education system was not deigned to advance our interests. We need to develop our own technologies to help add values to raw materials.By doing that we also add values to the whole of mankind.Not just Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by Revolva(m): 7:33am On Jun 11, 2013
instead of NIGERIA TO EMBRACE REGIONAL DEVELOPMENT...THAT IS EACH REGION SHOULD BRING WHAT THEY HAVE .. AND PAY TAX TO THE GOVERNMENT..They are there fighting for Oil..till date so much confusion....Nigeria
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by joshuaidibia(m): 7:49am On Jun 11, 2013
Dat was wen ppl drink garri, wtout fear of little groundnut
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by Nobody: 7:54am On Jun 11, 2013
Hey Onila, what's up? You got mail.. You know what to do smiley
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by Monsuratsnn: 9:01am On Jun 11, 2013
I wish we could go back to those years when we have groundnut pyramid with peace, unlike now that we have oil but no peace
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by rawtruth(m): 9:09am On Jun 11, 2013
searay: The pyramids had been replaced with BH. Apologies!

You don't have to apologise, you said part of the truth. Many farmers out there must have either been killed, maimed, or are too scared to go to the farm. But, actually, fulani herdsmen are more dangerous to food production than BH. I understand that BH don't attack people on the farms, but herdsmen need those farms for their animals, so no farmer who won't allow them graze on the land is safe; particularly in central Nigeria where food production average higher than other parts of the country.
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by Adekk(m): 10:13am On Jun 11, 2013
uhhhh................
onila: when we had a good agriculture industry

its sad when the oil came everything disappeared

oil made us lazy and forget our other nice resources
they left it and faced the oil wells in South, that is why ONE NIGERIA is a do or die affairs .

[img]http://nationalmirroronline.net/thumbnail.php?file=/kano_529120195.jpg&size=article_large[/img]
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by ProfessorPeter(m): 12:32pm On Jun 11, 2013
Mr Aboki: See groundnut pyramids in 2013:

NA SO WE GO DEY DEY
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by chessguru1(m): 12:59pm On Jun 11, 2013
Mr Aboki:

I doubt you understood the post you quoted at all..
The poster wasn't saying build hospitals and houses with groundnut sacks, he was simply saying those sacks cold have been sold and the profit used to build structures and fund projects such as hospitals etc. one pyramid could have fetched enough money to build a hospital or a market or something. I believe that's what the op was driving at. I don't think his post was literal in its translation.
I believe you give him too much credit. If that's exactly what he meant, believe me I would have known (am rather good in reading in between lines)
This is his statement
redsun: All those structures could have easily be transform into monuments,buildings and metal structures that show cases human ingenuities in creating and making marks.
If only nigeria was a country.

The bolded doesn't refer to building hospitals or markets as there is nothing ingenious about that. What redsun was talking about was more in the line of monuments that showcase human endeavor and aesthetic appeal. He was thinking more in the line of tourist attraction than converting the funds from groundnut sales to build amenities.
Thereby making is post a highly ehhh ridiculous one because as far as a business man is concerned, those sacks of groundnuts could have well have been stacked in the shape of a triangle, circle, or square. As long as it served the function it was meant to serve.
Finally, op presented this thread as a means to delineate exactly how bad our agricultural sector has fallen.
This is in effect a fallacy because it brings about an illogical conclusion from a faulty premise.
The premise is faulty because it has been proven by a bright dude above who clearly showed nigeria is still d 4th largest exporter of groundnut.
Meaning that d disappearance of the pyramids could have been due to other things like
Producers preferring to store gnuts in silos or in warehouses or etc.
Nigeria may not be producing at her optimum in agriculture, but that shouldn't be even our main source of worry....the fact that our manufacturing sector is virtually dead is what we should be creating threads for

1 Like

Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by Rossikk(m): 2:04pm On Jun 11, 2013
Monsuratsnn@:
I wish we could go back to those years when we have groundnut pyramid with peace, unlike now that we have oil but no peace
Actually not too long before or after those pics were taken, military coups, counter coups, massacres and civil war erupted which claimed the lives of millions of Nigerians, so spare us the romanticisation. Today is far more peaceful.
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by badmeat(m): 2:29pm On Jun 11, 2013
Oil pass oil!wink,crude oil pass groundnut oilwink
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by soyad: 2:53pm On Jun 11, 2013
A yoruba adage says that if you dont know where you are going you should at least know where you are coming from , a word they say is enough for the wise .
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by guvnor83: 3:51pm On Jun 11, 2013
Yes we knw, bt d pyramide wl generate emplymnts opportunities more than ur 200 barrel of crude oil,if both were procesed at d same tym tym.
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by shoody: 6:17pm On Jun 11, 2013
Just like it looked back then that the groundnut cannot finish, and it did. One day, the oil will also dry up and we will ask-what did we do we it backe then. For those talking about adding value to groundnut, they should tell us what value have they added to crude oil before exporting it.
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by tpia5: 2:31am On Jun 12, 2013
onila onila, you too get ear for ground, shey?

long leg nko, you getam?
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by Fulaman198(m): 3:15am On Jun 12, 2013
I definitely was not born in this time period either, but seeing Pyramids like that in those days make me proud of being a Nigerian.
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by marketresearch: 4:32pm On Jan 09, 2015
Peanut, Ground Nut

Soak garri and add groundnut for a tasty combo. Or just snack on it to move your jaws. Your choice.

While “nut” is in their name, peanuts are in fact legumes. Peanuts actually grow underground, as opposed to nuts like walnuts, almonds, etc. that grow on trees (and are sometimes referred to as "tree nuts"wink. Peanuts, along with beans and peas, belong to the single plant family, Leguminosae. Legumes are edible seeds enclosed in pods. As a group, they provide the best source of concentrated protein in the plant kingdom.

for Nigerians looking for Peanut, Ground Nut in the US, you can get your ingredients here http://www.nigerianfoods.com/products/peanut-ground-nut?variant=953558453
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by mfm04622: 7:37am On Jan 10, 2015
We now produce MORE Groundnuts today than at the time of groundnut pyramid. Fact! Why was there pyramids in those days? The merchants bought groundnuts from small scale farmers and stores them for export. What lead to the disappearance of the pyramids? Many factors. International price collapse meant farmers shifted away from producing groundnut leading to production collapse in the 70s and 80s. Lack of support from govt to farmers too, especially the scrapping of the marketing boards due to corruption. Groundnuts is different from Cocoa. For cocoa, your have your farms for a Long time, you just pray for good prices. For yearly crops, if the price is poor this year, you plant another crop next year. Since then, groundnut production have recovered and we now produce more to meet local demand. So why do we demand groundnut for when we don't export? Mainly for groundnut oil and the leftover from oil production is used in as animal feeds. So the fact you don't see groundnut pyramids does not mean we are not producing groundnut in large volume.
Re: Groundnut Pyramids In Kano In The 1960's by Preprobiotics: 11:55pm On Jun 25, 2017
Molasses and Lactobacillus Serum for Livestock, Poultry and Home Use
Undiluted Organic Molasses for Strong Nutritional Value with many Health Benefits. Lactobachillus a Superb Growth Booster for Livestock, Poultry and Fish Farming, Also an effective Foul ODOUR Removal for Farms, Households, Dust Bins,Sewage, etc.
Call: 08121790440
Price from =N=1,500

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria’s Agric Export Surges To Highest On Record, Here Are The Top Items / A Trip To The Biggest Pig Farm In Africa – Oke Aro Piggery Farm / Food Supply From Noerthern Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.