Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,087 members, 7,821,754 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:52 PM

Police Kill Man In Lagos For Driving Against Traffic - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Kill Man In Lagos For Driving Against Traffic (15251 Views)

LASTMA Officials Challenge Police Officers For Driving One Way (Photos) / House Of Reps Member Arrested For Driving Against Traffic / Driver & Soldier Arrested On 3rd Mainland Bridge Driving Against Traffic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Kill Man In Lagos For Driving Against Traffic by SailorXY: 12:25am On Jun 11, 2013
A trader who witnessed the killing of a driver, Santos Korie, by policemen in the Mushin area of Lagos State last Thursday has said the policemen opened fire on him because he drove against traffic.

The witness, Tayo Odunlami, told PUNCH Metro that the driver, Korie, who was earlier described as a foreigner, but had now been properly identified as a Nigeria, was not the sole occupant of the vehicle.

Odunlami added that his younger brother was also present.

Narrating what occurred on the fateful day, Odunlami said, “Around 7am last Thursday, I was carrying out the weekly market sanitation at Daleko Market when I saw a silver-coloured Toyota Highlander Sports Utility Vehicle coming from Ilasamaja direction.

“On getting beneath the bridge and driving towards Mushin, he noticed that there was a roadblock due to construction and he claimed he did not know the alternative route to take so a newspaper vendor advised him to reverse and drive against traffic, make a U-turn and then ascend the Daleko Bridge.

“He drove against traffic and as he was about making a U-turn to ascend the bridge, he was accosted by the policemen.

“The policemen were talking to him, but he was smiling and did not roll down his window. The next thing I heard were four gunshots and everyone fled. The man’s car continued to move probably because he had taken his legs off the brakes. The vehicle then rammed into the side of the bridge, damaging the car.”

PUNCH Metro investigations revealed that the killer policemen were attached to the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.

The witness told our correspondent that the policemen, however, came in without LASTMA officials in a commercial bus which had been seized from its owner and then used it to carry out an illegal operation on that particular day.

He said the surviving occupant of the vehicle had reported the matter at Area D Command.

He said, “The policemen usually work with LASTMA under the bridge and due to the ongoing construction, motorists are usually allowed to drive against traffic. The policemen wanted to extort money from people that morning. That was why they came in a commercial bus and not the LASTMA van.

“After they killed the man, they fled and some commercial motorcycle riders chased them but they shot into the air to scare people away. They then jumped on a motorcycle and fled.

“Meanwhile, the other occupant of the SUV came down and started crying for help. We then advised him to go and report the matter at Area D. The Area Commander, Omololu Bishi, arrived at the scene but by then, the man was already dead.”

It was learnt that some foreign passports were found inside the deceased’s vehicle, which made people to initially believe that he was a foreigner.

However, our correspondent who visited the scene on Saturday learnt that he was a Nigerian whose real name was Onyekachi Korie.

PUNCH Metro had reported on Friday that two policemen, Idu and Ameh, as well as a tout, Sunday Sylvester, had been arrested by the police and transferred to the Special Anti-Robbery Squad.

A police source at SARS told our correspondent that the killer policemen had written confessional statements.

The source said, “The murder was a case of police extortion that went out of hand. However, there will be no cover up on the matter as we have arrested both killer policemen as well as those who have been engaging on illegal traffic duty.”

The police source told our correspondent that the suspects confessed that they usually engaged in illegal duty between 5am and 7am.

He said, “The police suspects said they usually seized commercial buses and then used it to extort money from people early in the morning before LASTMA men come for morning shifts. Sylvester also confessed that he had driven the policemen on over 10 illegal operations.

“He said after arresting traffic offenders, they would take them to a corner and negotiate a specific amount of money and then release them. He said offenders were never taken to LASTMA office because they would need to register the case and by so doing, they would not make any money.”

However, the police spokesperson, Ngozi Braide, had said the killers might have been hired killers in police uniform. She, however, confirmed that arrests had been made.

Our correspondent, who visited the Area D Command on Saturday, saw the deceased’s vehicle with registration number, EH778FST on the premises.

http://www.punchng.com/news/police-killed-foreigner-for-driving-against-traffic-eyewitness/
Re: Police Kill Man In Lagos For Driving Against Traffic by usibengate(m): 12:54am On Jun 11, 2013
that is a serious issue at hand. that police officer shud b charge for extra-judicial killings. may his soul rest in peace

1 Like

Re: Police Kill Man In Lagos For Driving Against Traffic by Dibiachukwu: 1:11am On Jun 11, 2013
Nigerian Police are retards. Especially the ones from Certain parts of this Country. Retrain the Police and fire the retarded ones with Some benefits.
Re: Police Kill Man In Lagos For Driving Against Traffic by Raiyo: 2:33am On Jun 11, 2013
Yesterday, i was coming back from Ikeja around 5pm, one very smelly and drunk rascal policeman , a misfit by all standards called me, his breath reeked of alchohol and his shirt had accumulated enough dirt to go round everyone in Lagos. He demanded for ID, i gave him, he then went on on to ask me what i was doing at that time of the day... dammit!, it was a bad experience because he tried to extort money from, i gave him the last 1k i had so i could walk free... accidental discharge dey fear me wel wel.

I hate them... 90% of them are retards.... na dis mumu quota dey mess us up.

2 Likes

Re: Police Kill Man In Lagos For Driving Against Traffic by texaco1: 3:13am On Jun 11, 2013
Raiyo: Yesterday, i was coming back from Ikeja around 5pm, one very smelly and drunk rascal policeman , a misfit by all standards called me, his breath reeked of alchohol and his shirt had accumulated enough dirt to go round everyone in Lagos. He demanded for ID, i gave him, he then went on on to ask me what i was doing at that time of the day... dammit!, it was a bad experience because he tried to extort money from, i gave him the last 1k i had so i could walk free... accidental discharge dey fear me wel wel.

you are a very wise man.why would anyone is his right senses argue with someone with a gun,most especially a nigeria police officer for that matter that u know he is not well trained on how to use the gun?better to argue with an armed robber than a nigeria police officer holding a gun

9 Likes

Re: Police Kill Man In Lagos For Driving Against Traffic by shevon: 3:53am On Jun 11, 2013
Had a similar experience like Raiyo's. There was a day I had an appointment with my Optician in Aguda; immediately after the session, I left and went straight to the bus stop. As I was waiting for a cab, a team of policemen in a commercial bus stopped and asked me to explain what I was doing at the bus stop by past 11am in the morning, I told them I was just coming from a doctor's appointment. They insisted on searching the content of the cellophane bag with me (which contained some drugs and my glasses) and I obliged. They also said they had to check the content of my phone (despite showing them my ID) but I refused; by then people have starting gathering, including my Doctor, which was what actually gave me the courage to resist them carrying out the obnoxious act. If not, I sure say I for reach station or at least they'd drag me into their bus just for standing at the bus stop.
Tactless bunch of nitwits.

1 Like

Re: Police Kill Man In Lagos For Driving Against Traffic by Nobody: 5:41am On Jun 11, 2013
Who knows what kind of training the police gets before they get a gun to handle

1 Like

Re: Police Kill Man In Lagos For Driving Against Traffic by yuzedo: 6:22am On Jun 11, 2013
[size=18pt]We give up!![/size]

3 Likes

Re: Police Kill Man In Lagos For Driving Against Traffic by brownlord: 6:45am On Jun 11, 2013
blackchukky: Who knows what kind of training the police gets before they get a gun to handle

Nothing different from the training giving to nysc members in orientation camp, do morning and afternoon drills, that all,since most of them are ex criminals, area boys, cultist and millitants, they dont need to be taught how to use a gun, we have so many of them in edo state, most of them , even work with their different cult group, have seen several case, where police cult members, are hired by their fellow cult group, to kill, arrest and burst rival cult group, its a normal thing in benin and ekpoma, also they are very good in stopping and searching every young boy, and they want to screw your phone, if they see international number, omon, u don enter gobe, one useless police officer, have dialed a uk line on my fone and store it claiming the number belongs to me, abegi nothing new.

God abeg help me tell those your children when they that embassy make them give me visa, make i go my fatherland, i don tire for this my step fatherland Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Police Kill Man In Lagos For Driving Against Traffic by brownlord: 6:47am On Jun 11, 2013
Raiyo: Yesterday, i was coming back from Ikeja around 5pm, one very smelly and drunk rascal policeman , a misfit by all standards called me, his breath reeked of alchohol and his shirt had accumulated enough dirt to go round everyone in Lagos. He demanded for ID, i gave him, he then went on on to ask me what i was doing at that time of the day... dammit!, it was a bad experience because he tried to extort money from, i gave him the last 1k i had so i could walk free... accidental discharge dey fear me wel wel.

Abeg where you say the policeman for block you, make i go collect that 1k back, i need use am pass the police man right now
Re: Police Kill Man In Lagos For Driving Against Traffic by AbuMikey(m): 7:10am On Jun 11, 2013
Nigerian Police sef!!! Don't they reason with their head?!! That Policeman should be thrown inside a pot of BOILING OIL Dammit!!
RIP to the Dead driver!
Re: Police Kill Man In Lagos For Driving Against Traffic by Nobody: 7:16am On Jun 11, 2013
He's a Nigerian why is OP calling him a foreigner
Re: Police Kill Man In Lagos For Driving Against Traffic by 3ace(m): 7:26am On Jun 11, 2013
The story later confirmed that the driver was a Nigerian so why "foreigner" in the headline again? These journalists sef-always deceiving people to buy papers.

sailorXY: “The policemen were talking to him, but
he was smiling and did not roll
down his window.

Some people are just too arrogant. We all crave for feeling of importance and the only way you can do this to avoid their nasty behaviour is to cooperate with them. Answer their questions and if need be like someone has said, give them money and you can go in peace. Most of them are a bunch of frustrated people who never wanted the job but ventured because they had no choice. You will therefore further aggravate their frustration in them by makin them feel like a piece of rag. Thank God the IGP is working tirelessly to curb extortion in the police and I will leave him to do it. I won't help to stop it by sacrificing my life. So, to those who enjoy speaking grammar with them, abeg na Naija be dis o. Rest in Peace, korie.

1 Like

Re: Police Kill Man In Lagos For Driving Against Traffic by Redoil: 7:34am On Jun 11, 2013
Police all over africa are the same from kenya to southafrica from nigeria to egypt.

1 Like

Re: Police Kill Man In Lagos For Driving Against Traffic by Wendyslim(f): 7:37am On Jun 11, 2013
3ace: The story later confirmed that the driver was a Nigerian so why "foreigner" in the headline again? These journalists sef-always deceiving people to buy papers.

. You no hear the name? Na foreigner wey don Tay for 9ja so na automatic citizen him be. How I wish na so dem dey do 9ja for foreign country too. undecided undecided kiss
Re: Police Kill Man In Lagos For Driving Against Traffic by texaco1: 7:48am On Jun 11, 2013
SailorXY:

“He drove against traffic and as he was about making a U-turn to
ascend the bridge, he was accosted by the policemen.
“The policemen were talking to him, but he was smiling and did not roll
down his window. The next thing I heard were four gunshots and
everyone fled. The man’s car continued to move probably because he
had taken his legs off the brakes.

It was learnt that some foreign passports were found inside the car
despite the fact that nigeria police are largely incompetent,if this eye witness account is true then the victim would have been shot by any police officer in the usa.
people must understand that the men is uniform are marked men and they dont know who is who.when they stopped him why didnt he roll down the glass and put off the engine?in the us if a police officer stops u ,u must put off the engine and place ur hands on the steering.we are in a period where police are killed in drive by shootings and most especially the nation is battling against a terrorist group which has been reported that it has expanded to the west.what was the guy doing with foreign passports?well that is not our issue.the victim asked for it.
anytime u are stopped by a police officer ,park well ,switch off ur car engine and talk to them politely,the victim did none ,they were talking to him he was smilling,he didnt roll down and neither did he switch off his car.

2 Likes

Re: Police Kill Man In Lagos For Driving Against Traffic by texaco1: 7:49am On Jun 11, 2013
ok
Re: Police Kill Man In Lagos For Driving Against Traffic by Nobody: 8:00am On Jun 11, 2013
texaco1:
despite the fact that nigeria police are largely incompetent,if this eye witness account is true then the victim would have been shot by any police officer in the usa.
people must understand that the men is uniform are marked men and they dont know who is who.when they stopped him why didnt he roll down the glass and put off the engine?in the us if a police officer stops u ,u must put off the engine and place ur hands on the steering.we are in a period where police are killed in drive by shootings and most especially the nation is battling against a terrorist group which has been reported that it has expanded to the west.what was the guy doing with foreign passports?well that is not our issue.the victim asked for it.
anytime u are stopped by a police officer ,park well ,switch off ur car engine and talk to them politely,the victim did none ,they were talking to him he was smilling,he didnt roll down and neither did he switch off his car.

You are talking nonsense.

20 Likes

Re: Police Kill Man In Lagos For Driving Against Traffic by 3ace(m): 8:08am On Jun 11, 2013
Wendyslim: . You no hear the name? Na foreigner wey don Tay for 9ja so na automatic citizen him be. How I wish na so dem dey do 9ja for foreign country too. undecided undecided kiss

Did you finish reading the story at all? I think the name "Santos Korie" came about because they found some foreign passports in his vehicle probably bearing that name. According to the story, it was later gathered that his real name was "Onyekachi Korie". Seems to me like he had double Identity. If he was still alive, he would have to do some explaining.
Re: Police Kill Man In Lagos For Driving Against Traffic by 3ace(m): 8:10am On Jun 11, 2013
J12:

You are talking nonsense.
Okay, let's have your opinion.
Re: Police Kill Man In Lagos For Driving Against Traffic by donchris999: 8:13am On Jun 11, 2013
Damn! What a foo.lish post. The most st.upid and idi.otic post of the century. Illiteracy at its peak, that is why naija is a jungle. Nonsense.
texaco1:

2 Likes

Re: Police Kill Man In Lagos For Driving Against Traffic by texaco1: 8:23am On Jun 11, 2013
3ace:
Okay, let's have your opinion.
leave them ,they dont know anything.let them try that shitt in new york their brains will be blown off withing 30secs
Re: Police Kill Man In Lagos For Driving Against Traffic by Temismith(f): 8:24am On Jun 11, 2013
Dis land is not for sell, bewared of thiefs.
Re: Police Kill Man In Lagos For Driving Against Traffic by Nobody: 8:28am On Jun 11, 2013
Ooooh so poo like this happens in nigeria tooo... Na wa o ..the way u guys bash south africa one would think such doesn't happen in NG..
Smdh..
Re: Police Kill Man In Lagos For Driving Against Traffic by donchris999: 8:35am On Jun 11, 2013
Damn! Shut up man. Ignorance is really a disease. Give us reference were a police in new york have ever shot its citizen because he/she didnt roll down the car glasses. Even when they chase criminals in their car, they dont shoot them, they chase them, catch them, arrest them and take them to court except in cases were the criminals first open fire on them not to talk of an innocent citizen in his car. Damn! Is there any other new york we dont know? Oh! I guess your talking of south africa were the police kill innocent citizens at will. Guy, your just a baboon who should be in the jungle. New york my foot!
texaco1:
leave them ,they dont know anything.let them try that shitt in new york their brains will be blown off withing 30secs

2 Likes

Re: Police Kill Man In Lagos For Driving Against Traffic by dedons: 9:22am On Jun 11, 2013
I'm not surprised to hear this.
It's a normal thing wit the Nigerian police

afterall,police is your BEST friend.
Re: Police Kill Man In Lagos For Driving Against Traffic by Okijajuju: 9:23am On Jun 11, 2013
Very good job arresting the killer cops, but again why drive against traffic?

Death sentence for indiscipline is the fastest way to a saner Nigeria..In Rivers State, driving against traffic is legal as long as you have the police with you or you are driving a vehicle with green plates..

1 Like

Re: Police Kill Man In Lagos For Driving Against Traffic by dedons: 9:24am On Jun 11, 2013
nadia_SA: Ooooh so poo like this happens in nigeria tooo... Na wa o ..the way u guys bash south africa one would think such doesn't happen in NG..
Smdh..
shattap!!!

Afterall we NIGERIANS are not slaves in our land unlike u south africans that are been oppressed by the whites in your own country.

1 Like

Re: Police Kill Man In Lagos For Driving Against Traffic by israel007: 9:25am On Jun 11, 2013
How many time will this same story make front page on nairaland. This is not a new incident
Re: Police Kill Man In Lagos For Driving Against Traffic by Nobody: 9:27am On Jun 11, 2013
na wa o!
Re: Police Kill Man In Lagos For Driving Against Traffic by Nobody: 9:27am On Jun 11, 2013

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Nigerians Have Tortoise Mentality- Luke Onyekakeyah / Photos: President Buhari Visits Zamfara / More Photos From The EFCC Summit In Abuja (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.