Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,546 members, 7,823,396 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:41 AM

June 12: Ibb Lost Chance To Be National Hero - Orji Uzor Kalu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / June 12: Ibb Lost Chance To Be National Hero - Orji Uzor Kalu (774 Views)

Buhari's Major Objective Should Be National Interest / Is Ojukwu A National Hero Or An Igbo Hero? / Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

June 12: Ibb Lost Chance To Be National Hero - Orji Uzor Kalu by Abali1(m): 11:07am On Jun 13, 2013
JUNE 12: IBB LOST CHANCE TO BE NATIONAL HERO - Orji Uzor Kalu
Former governor of Abia State, Dr. Orji Uzor Kalu has said that the June 12, 1993 presidential election would have made former head of state, General Ibrahim Babangida a national hero were it not annulled.
He made the statement while delivering a lecture at an event held in commemoration of the June 12 election, which the late Bashorun MKO Abiola won. Dr. Kalu said the country could only move forward and survive if there were free and fair elections and promotion of social justice.
According to him, “June 12 election was adjudged as the freest and fairest election in the history of Nigeria and if the country can repeat that feat, it would ensure the survival of the country. That election should have made Gen. IBB a national hero if it were not annulled. What can turn Nigeria into a true state is if we have a free and fair election and if there is social justice.
“Thirteen years ago, I was the only South-eastern governor that declared June 12 as a public holiday because I believed in what that day stood for. I took a stand and it was observed as a de facto Democracy Day because of its significance. It was a day that Nigerians, irrespective of tribe, affiliation or religion voted for two Muslims. One, a Yoruba man and the other, an Hausa man. It was a time that Nigerians shunned all tendencies that have always divided us as a people. I am glad that Odua Peoples Congress (OPC) took a stand too. But what do we have now in Nigeria?
Every election now seems to be worse than its preceding one. Our electoral system is in shambles. The umpires may change but the outcome has not changed. “For instance, the Nigerian Governors Forum (NGF) made up of 35 people could not conduct elections without acrimony. If a few people could not hold elections, what would then happen if millions of Nigerians vote? Elections in Nigeria have become an avenue where security agencies subvert the will of the people. “I am a witness to this because I contested for a senatorial position in my state and I witnessed first hand the type of injustice many of us are suffering. Security agencies lent themselves to be used by people who were determined to subvert the will of the people.
“The solution, therefore, is to conduct elections on the same day as is practised globally. This will prevent election fraud and waste and it will eliminate the bandwagon effect. Let us stop living dangerously. Let us uphold free and fair elections. In that way, MKO would not have died in vain.” Kalu also lamented what he described as social injustice. He stated that Nigeria was built on inequity and no attempt had been made to correct that. “The structure of the country promotes social injustice and this has permeated many parts of the country. When I presented a paper recently at the House of Commons in Britain, I pointed out that of all the geo-political zones in the country, the North, which is made up of the North East, the North West and the North Central have ruled the country for over 35 years, the South West has ruled for over 10 years and by 2013, the South South would have ruled for five years and may rule for more but the South East has ruled for only six months! This is one of the social injustices that I am talking about. “If this type of injustice is not addressed, it may one day become a time bomb waiting to explode. So social justice is the way to go if this country will continue to exist.” The organiser of the event and the Coordinator of OPC, Gani Adams, said: “Two decades after the annulment of June 12, 1993, Nigerians are seeking answers to what happened on a day that all Nigerians, irrespective of colour, ethnicity, creed or profession, voted at the best election ever conducted in the history of Nigeria. “As part of our quest to ensure that we get to the root of the events that led to the cancellation of the election and the attendant violence that followed. We all shall attempt that we will ensure that Nigeria will never again find herself in an ugly situation.” The National Coordinator of Campaign for Democracy (CD), Dr. Joe Okei- Odumakin who spoke to journalists at the event stated that but for people like the late Abiola who gave their lives, democracy would not have returned to the country. “What we are practising and the structure in which this country is operating cannot stand. If we do not practice true federalism, then heroes of democracy like MKO and Kudirat Abiola would have died in vain. The only way we can keep their memories alive is for us to call for a Sovereign National Conference (SNC) where Nigerians would decide how we should live and the constitution we should operate.” The President of Arewa Youth Consultative Forum (AYCF), Shetima Yerima, who also spoke to journalists said the AYCF was in support of free and fair elections, equity, justice and development, which he said Abiola stood for. Other human rights activists who were present at the event included Mrs. Priscilla Kuye and former lawmaker, Dino Melaye.
Source: m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=642441532451071&substory_index=0&id=192893700739192&from_feed=1&refid=7&_ft_=qid.5888905994982827397%3Amf_story_key.9055129150112189327
Re: June 12: Ibb Lost Chance To Be National Hero - Orji Uzor Kalu by Abali1(m): 11:25am On Jun 13, 2013
Once again Orji Uzo Kalu is proving to the Nigerians that we can look above Tribal sentiments when it concerns National Discourse.
But some people will still believe that Igbos hate Abiola. SMH.

1 Like

Re: June 12: Ibb Lost Chance To Be National Hero - Orji Uzor Kalu by Abali1(m): 11:32am On Jun 13, 2013
The National Coordinator of Campaign for Democracy (CD), Dr. Joe Okei- Odumakin who spoke to journalists at the event stated that
“.............If we do not practice true federalism, then heroes of democracy like MKO and Kudirat Abiola would have died in vain.
The only way we can keep their memories alive is for us to call for a Sovereign National Conference (SNC) where Nigerians would decide how we should live and the constitution we should operate.”
Re: June 12: Ibb Lost Chance To Be National Hero - Orji Uzor Kalu by Nobody: 11:41am On Jun 13, 2013
Orji Uzor Kalu kwa? Who snatch ballot box pass this man? Na only T.A Orji Tinubu,Buhari,El-rufia,Obasanjo,Atiku,Ibori and Alamesigha you holy pass sir.
Re: June 12: Ibb Lost Chance To Be National Hero - Orji Uzor Kalu by Abali1(m): 11:50am On Jun 13, 2013
chidindufrank: Orji Uzor Kalu kwa? Who snatch ballot box pass this man? Na only T.A Orji Tinubu,Buhari,El-rufia,Obasanjo,Atiku,Ibori and Alamesigha you holy pass sir.
You allege ballot box snatching. Please in which electioneering year did Orji Kalu snatch ballot boxes?
Re: June 12: Ibb Lost Chance To Be National Hero - Orji Uzor Kalu by Nobody: 12:20pm On Jun 13, 2013
Abali1:
You allege ballot box snatching. Please in which electioneering year did Orji Kalu snatch ballot boxes?
hmm, bros me! Don't even go there! Ka anyi mechie onu any dika umuafo igbo. Isikwa ka anyi gbaa ihe dum n'anwu, adikwam ready
Re: June 12: Ibb Lost Chance To Be National Hero - Orji Uzor Kalu by Abali1(m): 12:34pm On Jun 13, 2013
chidindufrank: hmm, bros me! Don't even go there! Ka anyi mechie onu any dika umuafo igbo. Isikwa ka anyi gbaa ihe dum n'anwu, adikwam ready
LOL. Onye ajuju adighi efu uzo.
Re: June 12: Ibb Lost Chance To Be National Hero - Orji Uzor Kalu by Smartluv(m): 12:44pm On Jun 13, 2013
i like this man Orji Kalu,his speeches are legendry. If u can remeber his analysis on the history of Nigeria super Eagle,their wins,looses and d timings that follows each and d predication that the Afcon champion wil be Nigerian. Which later manifested showing dat history repeats it's self. Now he is on IBB which is very very true. Thumb up OUK.
Re: June 12: Ibb Lost Chance To Be National Hero - Orji Uzor Kalu by gbadexy(m): 4:44pm On Jun 13, 2013
The man truly has vision for his people.
He supported opc and acknowledged june 12 while also calling attention and pushing for ibo presidency.
The man is simply trying to win friends for the ibos but you will soon hear that he is not real ibo for going to that event.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria: Oil, Gas Deposits To Deplete In 40 Years! / Obj's Regime Isn't As Terrible As This! / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.