Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,148 members, 7,811,248 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:33 AM

What Is The Difference Between Life And Soul (spirit Or Whatever We Call It) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Difference Between Life And Soul (spirit Or Whatever We Call It) (5960 Views)

WAS/IS Muhammed The Al-ruh Al-quddus (holy Spirit) Or A Man? / What Is The Difference Between SOUL & SPIRIT? / Soul & Spirit - Whats the difference? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Difference Between Life And Soul (spirit Or Whatever We Call It) by hegelian: 12:34pm On Jun 13, 2013
religions always talk about resurrection life or consciousness(soul).

1) is Life = soul(Consciousness) + Physical body
or
2) Life is the same as soul.

if life is different from soul then did all religions support re-incarnation (according to their scripture) if not why do religions talk about life when discussing resurrection instead of soul.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Life And Soul (spirit Or Whatever We Call It) by bukatyne(f): 1:36pm On Jun 13, 2013
hegelian: religions always talk about resurrection life or consciousness(soul).

1) is Life = soul(Consciousness) + Physical body
or
2) Life is the same as soul.

if life is different from soul then did all religions support re-incarnation (according to their scripture) if not why do religions talk about life when discussing resurrection instead of soul.

Man is made of Spirit Soul and body

It is said that a man is a spirit that has a soul contained in a body

Explain the life you are talking about

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Life And Soul (spirit Or Whatever We Call It) by hegelian: 1:56pm On Jun 13, 2013
bukatyne:

Man is made of Spirit Soul and body

It is said that a man is a spirit that has a soul contained in a body

Explain the life you are talking about

you didnt explain the concept of life yet. is soul independent of life?. life is define in the dictionary as existence in physical body and physical body is known to combined consciousness and form. what i get baffled about is when people talk about resurrection of life, does it mean all scripture preach reincarnation of the physical body or they are simply saying physical form exist in afterlife also (this will be paradoxical to philosophy of afterlife)
Re: What Is The Difference Between Life And Soul (spirit Or Whatever We Call It) by outcst1: 2:06pm On Jun 13, 2013
Hi heg,

I believe that life and spirit often refers to the same thing but the soul refers to something in addition to life: and that is the body.

Without the spirit or if you prefer 'life' the body cannot function as it is supposed to. The spirit gives 'life' to the body while the soul comes in when there is this fusion between the spirit and the body.

The soul and the spirit are often used interchangeably because in a sense, the soul is still this spirit we talk about. You can say the soul is our spirit giving life to the human body...not sure if that makes sense to you.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Life And Soul (spirit Or Whatever We Call It) by bukatyne(f): 2:17pm On Jun 13, 2013
hegelian:

you didnt explain the concept of life yet. is soul independent of life?. life is define in the dictionary as existence in physical body and physical body is known to combined consciousness and form. what i get baffled about is when people talk about resurrection of life, does it mean all scripture preach reincarnation of the physical body or they are simply saying physical form exist in afterlife also (this will be paradoxical to philosophy of afterlife)

Ok, Life and spirit means the same thing in some context. Are you coming from a religious angle because for me to expatiate, I would have to go the religious route
Re: What Is The Difference Between Life And Soul (spirit Or Whatever We Call It) by hegelian: 2:46pm On Jun 13, 2013
bukatyne:

Ok, Life and spirit means the same thing in some context. Are you coming from a religious angle because for me to expatiate, I would have to go the religious route
i am coming from both religious and philosophical angle. am trying to find a middle ground between the two.

thanks for your contribution
Re: What Is The Difference Between Life And Soul (spirit Or Whatever We Call It) by hegelian: 2:51pm On Jun 13, 2013
outc*st:
Hi heg,

I believe that life and spirit often refers to the same thing but the soul refers to something in addition to life: and that is the body.

Without the spirit or if you prefer 'life' the body cannot function as it is supposed to. The spirit gives 'life' to the body while the soul comes in when there is this fusion between the spirit and the body.

The soul and the spirit are often used interchangeably because in a sense, the soul is still this spirit we talk about. You can say the soul is our spirit giving life to the human body...not sure if that makes sense to you.

you said spirit and life are the same thing and went on to say spirit is sometimes called soul interchangeably (i dont get u really). life is talking about existence in physical form which means the fussion of material and non-material. almost everyone(including religious and non-religious) sees consciousness as a non-material.

if religions talk about ressurection as the reawakening of life, does it mean that material and non-material will come together again (afterlife is always conveyed as a non-material realm). if not does it mean that religions support re-incarnation (cos its the only way life can back into being material and non-material going by scriptural convictions)
Re: What Is The Difference Between Life And Soul (spirit Or Whatever We Call It) by hegelian: 2:54pm On Jun 13, 2013
bukatyne:

if life and spirit are the same thing then what is a dead material body (spirit??).

consciousness of soul after death cannot be seen as life cos life is described as material consciousness (and materiality is a compositions of matter as we know it)
Re: What Is The Difference Between Life And Soul (spirit Or Whatever We Call It) by ACITYOFTRUTH: 3:02pm On Jun 13, 2013
The words spoken by God are spirit and life jn6:63 the day God decided to make man he gave life and spirit by the spoken word and formed the body and soul for feeling and procration respectively isa57:16 and gen 2:7 ps104:30
Re: What Is The Difference Between Life And Soul (spirit Or Whatever We Call It) by Nobody: 3:04pm On Jun 13, 2013
MAN is a SOUL in a Body with the spirit of GOD powering his existence.

MAN is a Living SOUL , God is a spirit.

smiley
Re: What Is The Difference Between Life And Soul (spirit Or Whatever We Call It) by outcst1: 3:05pm On Jun 13, 2013
hegelian:

you said spirit and life are the same thing and went on to say spirit is sometimes called soul interchangeably (i dont get u really).

I believe you know what interchangeably means...

hegelian:
life is talking about existence in physical form which means the fussion of material and non-material.

I don't quite agree with the bold...a dead body exists in physical form but that body does not have life in it. So when you talk about the existence of life in 'physical form' I fail to get your meaning.

hegelian:
almost everyone(including religious and non-religious) sees consciousness as a non-material.

Okay!

hegelian:
if religions talk about ressurection as the reawakening of life,

I do not believe that life has the capacity for death. A body can die when there is no life in it but life in itself does not die. When I talk about the resurrection, I do not refer to a resurrection of life but of the body i.e the body and spirit are re-united but then there will be a glorified body instead.

hegelian:
does it mean that material and non-material will come together again (afterlife is always conveyed as a non-material realm).

I am not sure what you mean by non-material but if by the bold you mean the fusion of the body and spirit, then yes!

hegelian:
if not does it mean that religions support re-incarnation (cos its the only way life can back into being material and non-material going by scriptural convictions)

Some religions support re-incarnation!
Re: What Is The Difference Between Life And Soul (spirit Or Whatever We Call It) by hegelian: 3:50pm On Jun 13, 2013
frosbel: MAN is a SOUL in a Body with the spirit of GOD powering his existence.

MAN is a Living SOUL , God is a spirit.

smiley
ok but the definition of life according to encarta dico is "Existence in physical form". physical form mean composed of matter and matter is composed of atoms (which inturn mean something we can see touch and feel).
going by the dico definition one can say life is fussion of material and non-material (materials means matter and non-material mean consciousness or soul anyone).
if we should go by religion when humans die they go into spirit realm (that is pure consciousness devoid of any materiality leaving their materials side) ***if am right by this explanation****
most religions talk of resurrection of life and not soul (or consciousness). if its going to be life resurrection doesnt it then means that afterlife is going to have material form also and not only pure consciousness.

my argument is to try to investigate if religions actually support reincarnation by mentioning resurrection of life instead of soul (which is non material)
Re: What Is The Difference Between Life And Soul (spirit Or Whatever We Call It) by hegelian: 3:56pm On Jun 13, 2013
outc*st:

I believe you know what interchangeably means...

I don't quite agree with the bold...a dead body exists in physical form but that body does not have life in it. So when you talk about the existence of life in 'physical form' I fail to get your meaning.
unless u dont agree with world definition of life (encarta dico define life as existence in physical form and also theological books)

outc*st:

I do not believe that life has the capacity for death. A body can die when there is no life in it but life in itself does not die. When I talk about the resurrection, I do not refer to a resurrection of life but of the body i.e the body and spirit are re-united but then there will be a glorified body instead.
i think life cannot be used to stand as a whole, for life to exist it must combine material (physical form matter) and non material (consciouness) unless ofcourse u dont agree with definition of life
Re: What Is The Difference Between Life And Soul (spirit Or Whatever We Call It) by bukatyne(f): 4:04pm On Jun 13, 2013
hegelian:

if life and spirit are the same thing then what is a dead material body (spirit??).

consciousness of soul after death cannot be seen as life cos life is described as material consciousness (and materiality is a compositions of matter as we know it)

From Christianity,

Spirit means the Spirit of God. God breathed the breathe of life (Spirit) into man and he became a living being. Note that Man had a body and soul but was not alive. At death, the Spirit goes back to God. 'He gave up the ghost' so to speak

Soul is our mind/conscience. This is where thoughts originate from. This is the part of man that is judged for his actions and inactions.

Body is the physical covering that helps us interact with each other. It returns to the dust when man dies i.e. the body decays.

As for the issue of reincarnation, there is nothing like that in Christianity. The Bible talks of resurrection but in new bodies i.e. the dead that believed in Christ will be resurrected with new heavenly bodies during the rapture. They are not resurrecting to come back to earth to live as somebody else.

Hope this helps

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Life And Soul (spirit Or Whatever We Call It) by outcst1: 4:21pm On Jun 13, 2013
hegelian:
unless u dont agree with world definition of life (encarta dico define life as existence in physical form and also theological books)

That really can hardly pass as the "world definition of life"...it leaves too much to be desired. If life is 'existence in physical form' then the question that comes readily to mind is: which physical form does life take?

When we say something is physical in this context we necessarily mean that thing is subject to human 'perception' i.e we can identify with that thing through our human senses and that thing is material.

Life in itself is not subject to the 'perception' of man. We can only identify with it relatively. If I ask you to tell me the colour, shape etc of life I bet you won't be able. This in itself necessarily tells us that life is not substantive.

Here are some definitions I can agree with, within the context of our discourse:

a : the quality that distinguishes a vital and functional being from a dead body

b : a principle or force that is considered to underlie the distinctive quality of animate beings

hegelian:
i think life cannot be used to stand as a whole, for life to exist it must combine material (physical form matter) and non material (consciouness) unless ofcourse u dont agree with definition of life

The above simply means that you do not believe in spirits and that man is strictly speaking made up of only what we can see and touch and nothing else.

The definition of life you presented has 'k-leg' unless you are willing to explain what you mean by "existence in physical form".
Re: What Is The Difference Between Life And Soul (spirit Or Whatever We Call It) by hegelian: 6:18pm On Jun 13, 2013
outc*st:

That really can hardly pass as the "world definition of life"...it leaves too much to be desired. If life is 'existence in physical form' then the question that comes readily to mind is: which physical form does life take?

When we say something is physical in this context we necessarily mean that thing is subject to human 'perception' i.e we can identify with that thing through our human senses and that thing is material.

Life in itself is not subject to the 'perception' of man. We can only identify with it relatively. If I ask you to tell me the colour, shape etc of life I bet you won't be able. This in itself necessarily tells us that life is not substantive.

Here are some definitions I can agree with, within the context of our discourse:

a : the quality that distinguishes a vital and functional being from a dead body

b : a principle or force that is considered to underlie the distinctive quality of animate beings

The above simply means that you do not believe in spirits and that man is strictly speaking made up of only what we can see and touch and nothing else.

The definition of life you presented has 'k-leg' unless you are willing to explain what you mean by "existence in physical form".

i already give what i believe to be the definition of life
again

life is the existence in physical form by this i mean life=physical + soul(consciousness). we cant really have counsciousness experience of life in this physical world without the material body (ie matter).

what am trying to say is without the physical body, we cant call soul (consciousness) as life cos it will be without form but pure divine light.

if death come upon a man and consciousness leaves the body, can we still address that soul as life (ofcourse not cos the physical body is dead)

life = physical body (material) + soul (non material)

life is not = physical body (material) - soul

(1) (Reply)

Faith-healer And Evangelist, Maurice Cerullo, Investigated / Lucifer Was A Choir Master / The Members Of Rccg,mfm,cac,catholic,deeperlife,ccc E.t.c Should Stop Doing This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.