Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,619 members, 7,816,547 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:59 PM

Tithe - Children Vs Church - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithe - Children Vs Church (840 Views)

Stop Financing Pastor's Extravagant Lifestyle With Your Tithe! / Do I Need To Pay Tithe Form My Gamble Wins? / To Tithe or Not to Tithe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tithe - Children Vs Church by Nobody: 10:56pm On Jun 13, 2013
I want some advice from the honest members of this beautiful community.

Imagine I get paid £1000 a month and my expenses are as follows :

Rent/Mortgage - £200
Bills - £500
Children School - £100
Petrol - £100

At this stage I have only £100 left and we haven't even started talking about food, but surely my tithe should come first, oh my goodness I am confused.

As a Christian what are my options :

1. Family first , feed the children and wife with the £100 , forget about Tithe
2. Church first , God's needs are more important than the family , live by faith. God will provide.
3. Borrow money for Food and pay the £100 as tithe believing that by faith God will deliver from debt.

I need some advice from Y'all.

smiley
Re: Tithe - Children Vs Church by shdemidemi(m): 11:15pm On Jun 13, 2013
Frosbel.... Of course God comes before anything we can think of. 'For who makes you differ from another? And what do you have that you did not receive? Now if you did indeed receive it, why do you boast as if you had not received it? '-- tithing isn't for a Christian though, you can keep your money.
Re: Tithe - Children Vs Church by PastorKun(m): 6:52am On Jun 14, 2013
frosbel: I want some advice from the honest members of this beautiful community.

Rent/Mortgage - £200
Bills - £500
Children School - £100
Petrol - £100

At this stage I have only £100 left and we haven't even started talking about food, but surely my tithe should come first, oh my goodness I am confused.

2. Church first , God's needs are more important than the family , live by faith. God will provide.
3. Borrow money for Food and pay the £100 as tithe believing that by faith God will deliver from debt.

smiley

Number two above does not make sense as God doesn't have any material needs of us and there is a clear and distinct difference btw tithe collecting church's intentions and God's requirements from us.
Re: Tithe - Children Vs Church by alexleo(m): 7:46am On Jun 14, 2013
frosbel: I want some advice from the honest members of this beautiful community.

Rent/Mortgage - £200
Bills - £500
Children School - £100
Petrol - £100

smiley

Hahahahaha... this is Frosbelmatics.
My dear you are still following God by human calculations. So when your needs amounts to 1500 pounds while you earn 1000 pounds what do you do? Kindly answer and let's progress from there if you care to.

1 Like

Re: Tithe - Children Vs Church by Nobody: 10:06am On Jun 14, 2013
Pastor Kun:

Number two above does not make sense as God doesn't have any material needs of us and there is a clear and distinct difference btw tithe collecting church's intentions and God's requirements from us.

I agree with this one.

Actually , giving is encouraged to meet the needs of real people not buildings, petrol for transport and pastors salaries. Also , the bible says if a MAN cannot provide for his family he is worse than an infidel.

However , according to the modern institutions of Mammon, one will have to watch his children starve to death while waiting for his faith to manifest , meanwhile the lazy pastor will be chumping on roast beef, wine and dessert with his family, driving around in a fully air-conditioned car and having not a care in the world.

btw, this story was an illustration.
Re: Tithe - Children Vs Church by Nobody: 10:08am On Jun 14, 2013
alexleo:

Hahahahaha... this is Frosbelmatics.
My dear you are still following God by human calculations. So when your needs amounts to 1500 pounds while you earn 1000 pounds what do you do? Kindly answer and let's progress from there if you care to.

it's called money management, if your needs go above your income, it is obvious that you either need to cut down on expenses and luxuries and pay off your debts if any to increase your disposable income.

Basic needs have to be met first for real people and then the needs of other brethren who are impoverished, then you can talk about helping on other non-people related projects.
Re: Tithe - Children Vs Church by alexleo(m): 10:23am On Jun 14, 2013
frosbel:

it's called money management, if your needs go above your income, it is obvious that you either need to cut down on expenses and luxuries and pay off your debts if any to increase your disposable income.

Basic needs have to be met first for real people and then the needs of other brethren who are impoverished, then you can talk about helping on other non-people related projects.

And if you could employ money management to sort out 1500 pounds need when you have 1000 pounds why then is it hard for you to employ same money management to sort out your tithe of 100 pounds out of your 1000 pounds since your need is even below the 1000 pounds income in this case?
Re: Tithe - Children Vs Church by PastorKun(m): 10:40am On Jun 14, 2013
alexleo:

And if you could employ money management to sort out 1500 pounds need when you have 1000 pounds why then is it hard for you to employ same money management to sort out your tithe of 100 pounds out of your 1000 pounds since your need is even below the 1000 pounds income in this case?

Becos the first item I would knock off my list of priorities is that same tithe in the first instance since it is totally irrelevant, derived from twisted doctrine and it's a complete waste of money.
Re: Tithe - Children Vs Church by alexleo(m): 11:18am On Jun 14, 2013
Pastor Kun:

Becos the first item I would knock off my list of priorities is that same tithe in the first instance since it is totally irrelevant, derived from twisted doctrine and it's a complete waste of money.

So the whole thing is cleared. While you consider tithe as irrelevant and a waste I consider it as relevant. So allow the ones who consider it as relevant to continue while you go ahead with your belief about it. Don't impose yours on others and don't claim yours is right while others are wrong. Again there is nothing twisted about tithe teaching. If the bible said we should stop and that its a sin to do it then you are right but since its not so in the bible then nothing wrong in tithing. Never in the bible is tithing viewed as sin. The only area I may agree with you is the area of consequences of not tithing since we are now in the time of grace. Just like the punishments for sin during the time of the law are no more obtainable now yet those sins are still sin now. Am not classifying not tithing as sin by this illustration. It is God that knows where tithing and non tithing should be classified.
Re: Tithe - Children Vs Church by oiseworld: 11:19am On Jun 14, 2013
grin grin
frosbel:

grin
frosbel:

Re: Tithe - Children Vs Church by omofat: 11:28am On Jun 14, 2013
Don't you guys get tired?

Kai! Na wa
Re: Tithe - Children Vs Church by JesusisLord85: 11:42am On Jun 14, 2013

Rent/Mortgage - £200
Bills - £500
Children School - £100
Petrol - £100

smiley

Don't ask man, consult the word. But here are some useful verses:

Numbers 18:21-24
I give to the Levites all the tithes in Israel as their inheritance in return for the work they do while serving at the tent of meeting.22 From now on the Israelites must not go near the tent of meeting, or they will bear the consequences of their sin and will die. 23 It is the Levites who are to do the work at the tent of meeting and bear the responsibility for any offenses they commit against it. This is a lasting ordinance for the generations to come. They will receive no inheritance among the Israelites. 24 Instead, I give to the Levites as their inheritance the tithes that the Israelites present as an offering to the LORD. That is why I said concerning them: ‘They will have no inheritance among the Israelites.’”

This is a story for another day (or you can see my thread on Ewe/Yoruba being true Israelites), I consider myself a descendant of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. I am not under law to tithe however because my pastor is not a Levite. Consider this, even Jews of today do not tithe, for this very reason.

Secondly, tithe is not money, never was, never will be. But you are thinking, "but I earn money, not cattle". Well then, let me gie you another verse:

Deuteronomy 14:22-27
You shall tithe all the yield of your seed that comes from the field year by year. 23 And before the Lord your God, in the place that he will choose, to make his name dwell there, you shall eat the tithe of your grain, of your wine, and of your oil, and the firstborn of your herd and flock, that you may learn to fear the Lord your God always. 24 And if the way is too long for you, so that you are not able to carry the tithe, when the Lord your God blesses you, because the place is too far from you, which the Lord your God chooses, to set his name there, 25 then you shall turn it into money and bind up the money in your hand and go to the place that the Lord your God chooses 26 and spend the money for whatever you desire—oxen or sheep or wine or strong drink, whatever your appetite craves. And you shall eat there before the Lord your God and rejoice, you and your household. 27 And you shall not neglect the Levite who is within your towns, for he has no portion or inheritance with you.

If God accepted money, he would have said, if your tithe is too heavy to carry to the place of worship, turn it into silver and give the money to Levites. BUT he did not. He said exchange it for money, go to the place of worship, and THEN buy food.

If you tithe for the same reason Abraham tithed (only recorded once though) i.e. out of choice and NOT compulsion, that is great and there is no law against that. But let me give you knowledge regarding his tithe so no man put you under guilt.

Abraham simply gave a tenth of the spoils of war, which did not belong to him in the first place. After that, there is no record of him tithing again. Also, he gave the remaining 90% to his men. If you did that every time you earned income, your children would starve to death. Let us examine the scripture smiley
Genesis 14:20-24
"And Abram gave him a tenth of everything. 21 And the king of Sodom said to Abram, “Give me the persons, but take the goods for yourself.” 22 But Abram said to the king of Sodom, “I have lifted my hand to the Lord, God Most High, Possessor of heaven and earth, 23 that I would not take a thread or a sandal strap or anything that is yours, lest you should say, ‘I have made Abram rich.’ 24 I will take nothing but what the young men have eaten, and the share of the men who went with me. Let Aner, Eshcol, and Mamre take their share.”

When we true Hebrews are restored to the land, then I will bring my tithe as per the law. All other tithes you give out of choice. And the Lord loves a cheerful giver smiley

Shalom

1 Like

Re: Tithe - Children Vs Church by PastorKun(m): 12:42pm On Jun 14, 2013
alexleo:

So the whole thing is cleared. While you consider tithe as irrelevant and a waste I consider it as relevant. So allow the ones who consider it as relevant to continue while you go ahead with your belief about it. Don't impose yours on others and don't claim yours is right while others are wrong. Again there is nothing twisted about tithe teaching. If the bible said we should stop and that its a sin to do it then you are right but since its not so in the bible then nothing wrong in tithing. Never in the bible is tithing viewed as sin. The only area I may agree with you is the area of consequences of not tithing since we are now in the time of grace. Just like the punishments for sin during the time of the law are no more obtainable now yet those sins are still sin now. Am not classifying not tithing as sin by this illustration. It is God that knows where tithing and non tithing should be classified.

On the contrary it is your modern day tithe preachers that are guilty of forcing their fraudulent opinion on others I am merely exposing there lies on this forum and yes every thing about tithe preaching is twisted cause it was never addressed to christians in the first instance and agricultural produce had to be twisted to mean money and levites twisted to mean pastor/church so everything about tithes the way it is preached and practised today is twisted and bears little semblance to the biblical version.

3 Likes

Re: Tithe - Children Vs Church by alexleo(m): 2:12pm On Jun 14, 2013
Pastor Kun:

On the contrary it is your modern day tithe preachers that are guilty of forcing their fraudulent opinion on others I am merely exposing there lies on this forum and yes every thing about tithe preaching is twisted cause it was never addressed to christians in the first instance and agricultural produce had to be twisted to mean money and levites twisted to mean pastor/church so everything about tithes the way it is preached and practised today is twisted and bears little semblance to the biblical version.

That's your opinion. I only accept the explanations you gave in the other thread.
Re: Tithe - Children Vs Church by PastorKun(m): 4:02pm On Jun 14, 2013
alexleo:

That's your opinion. I only accept the explanations you gave in the other thread.

It's not just my opinion but a glaring fact else I challenge you to show us from scriptures were monetary tithe from income was practised or commanded to christians in the bible.

1 Like

Re: Tithe - Children Vs Church by alexleo(m): 4:38pm On Jun 14, 2013
Pastor Kun:

It's not just my opinion but a glaring fact else I challenge you to show us from scriptures were monetary tithe from income was practised or commanded to christians in the bible.

Is it everything you are doing now (in your personal life at least) exactly the way it was done in bible time?
Re: Tithe - Children Vs Church by PastorKun(m): 4:41pm On Jun 14, 2013
alexleo:

Is it everything you are doing now (in your personal life at least) exactly the way it was done in bible time?

Does that justify deliberately twisting scripture and teaching it to believers as the word of God?

2 Likes

Re: Tithe - Children Vs Church by alexleo(m): 11:56pm On Jun 14, 2013
Pastor Kun:

Does that justify deliberately twisting scripture and teaching it to believers as the word of God?

Nobody is twisting any scripture in this matter. Tithe is in the bible and the one you are talking about is also in the bible. At least your points have made me relax in the way I view non tithers but I ll still be tithing. Yet not condemning you. God knows the best. Thanks.
Re: Tithe - Children Vs Church by PastorKun(m): 7:23am On Jun 15, 2013
alexleo:

Nobody is twisting any scripture in this matter. Tithe is in the bible and the one you are talking about is also in the bible. At least your points have made me relax in the way I view non tithers but I ll still be tithing. Yet not condemning you. God knows the best. Thanks.

Granted tithes is in the bible but the type of tithing practised today is not and biblical tithes was never directed to christians. Scriptures had to be twisted to apply it to christians.
Re: Tithe - Children Vs Church by Nobody: 9:52am On Jun 15, 2013
Any MAN who sacrifices the well being of his family for the paying of tithes which are used for building projects, pastor salaries and church transportation is worse than an infidel.

For a pastor to rely 100% on the sheep to survive is pure laziness. Of course GENUINE pastors who are filled with the Love of God should always be helped as led by the spirit, I am referring here to charlatans, crooks, false teachers, and those pastors who think their calling is a career that comes with certain perks.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Should Church Share Condoms To People? Drop Your View Here. / Baby Dies From Biblical Suffocation / Irresistible Power Of God (Bible Stories)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.