Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,787 members, 7,810,051 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:31 PM

I Don't Know How And What To Shop For My Unborn Child - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / I Don't Know How And What To Shop For My Unborn Child (22208 Views)

In Which Hospital Can I Check For GENOTYPE Of Unborn Child Here In Nigeria. / Even The Unborn Child Is Disappointed In The NIGERIAN Health System / How Can One Determine The Sex Of Their Unborn Baby? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Don't Know How And What To Shop For My Unborn Child by neneslim(m): 5:05pm On Jun 16, 2013
Hi nairalanders.
am going to bed a dad in few months and till now i dont know to shop for and how to prepare for the unborn lil one. The Doctor told us is a boy and till now we re both confuse on how to start the start the shopping and what to buy exactly. We Re newly married couple and this is our first child plus we just relocated to lagos from the North and away from family. Am very new at this and my wife is very inexperience. I need advise on what to budget and how and where to get the things. Thanks all
Re: I Don't Know How And What To Shop For My Unborn Child by Gboliwe: 5:12pm On Jun 16, 2013
What is the size of your budget?
As par what to buy for the baby, the hospital will give you a list.
Re: I Don't Know How And What To Shop For My Unborn Child by neneslim(m): 7:04pm On Jun 16, 2013
Thanks alot but the hospital didnt give a list. Eko hospital to be precise. Am on 250 to 300k for the immediate baby stuff.
Re: I Don't Know How And What To Shop For My Unborn Child by omogemi: 8:53pm On Jun 16, 2013
u need to ask for a list since this is ur first since u hv registered for ur antenatal there. Where is ur location? There are a lot of baby shops around where u can buy things from

1 Like

Re: I Don't Know How And What To Shop For My Unborn Child by uboma(m): 9:31pm On Jun 16, 2013
@ op, under-going scan to check the sex of an unborn child is never reliable, never 100% accurate here in Nigeria. I can't say for Western and advanced countries for now. I have instances where very close relatives and friends will go to check the sex of their unborn child, only to see a different sex after delivery. That's why some do not even bother checking the sex before delivery. I'm saying this to get you prepared in the event that it turns out to be a girl child. Meanwhile, I will advise that u focus on getting unisex baby wears for now. Don't buy too much till the baby is born. Start purchasing pampers, coz there can never be enough. Don't forget socks, shawl, flask etc. Hey where are the mothers in the house, pls come bail this expecting father out. I wish ur wife a safe delivery. Cheers

5 Likes

Re: I Don't Know How And What To Shop For My Unborn Child by Blendy77(f): 5:02am On Jun 17, 2013
From my own experience, the list they giv u at the hospital contains just what they expect u to bring while coming for delivery. Don't know if other hospital gives u a comprehensive list of everythg the baby needs. What u and wifey should put together for the first 3m after birth:
Body suits (they com in pair of 5-7) 1-2packs is fine if u intend washing every other day
Sleepsuits (pack of 3). 2-3 packs. Try buying unisex colours of bodysuits and sleepsuits so u're not taken unawares.
Bath set
Outfits for going out. (U need like 2-4 for the first few months since outing won't be much at this stage)
Toiletries like soap, oil, lotion, powder, shampoo (avoid johnson if possible for the 1st 1m) u can buy boots or Chicco.
Shawls (2-3) one for staying at home and the other for going out
Caps, mittens and booties/socks
Sterilizing unit and feeding bootles (u cod buy either avent or tummy teepee)
A cot or playpen (not too compulsory if u want ur baby to share beds with u)
Diapers (size 1-2) a carton or 2 should be fine if u're buying huggies
A bouncer/rocker (so ur baby does not get too use to be carried by hands all the time. Not too compulsory though if u're on a tight budget).
Cotton buds and cotton wool.
Olive oil and spirit.
Flask
Maternity bra and br.east pads

Will post more when I remember or other mums in the house can complete whtever I've missed out. Also, u can stroll down with wify to Balogun market on a weekend if u want to cut costs from these expensive baby shops. There's a section where they sell foreign stuff. If u enter from adeniji (just b4 obalende) drive straight till u get to Ojo giwa street (actually the 2nd street on ur right from adeniji). Ending of Ojo giwa street is where they sell foreign stuff. Just accompanied a friend there recently and we discovered the plaza. Foreign Baby things are very cheap there.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Don't Know How And What To Shop For My Unborn Child by omogemi: 6:35am On Jun 17, 2013
i meant to ask, is it list for d hospital or list of babys' personal things? Pls let us know so u can be told what to buy. How far gone is ur wife? If she's getting heavy then u need to shop pretty soon.
Re: I Don't Know How And What To Shop For My Unborn Child by tjskii(f): 8:54am On Jun 17, 2013
Lemme just giv u my own list;
Baby oil
Baby lotion
Baby powder
Baby soap
Baby sponge
Baby comb
Baby shawl
Baby scissors
Baby Towel(they usualy sell dem 3in a pack,one big one and 2small ones)
Baby dresses(bodysuits,buy 2packs 0-3months and anoda 2packs 3-6months), Stockings, cap(4pairs) and vest(mini body suits,they smtmes sell dem 7in a pack)
Olive oil(goya)
Daipers(Huggies/Pampers)
Flask
Detol
Cottonwool
Metholated spirit
Baby walker(19k,as I said ther r cheaper ones o,I'm just givin u my own list)
Babycupboard(25k)
Babycot(bout45k,d cot is realy not so imptnt cos after a coupl of months,d baby dosnt lik to slip in them)

Baby bouncer(bot mine for bout 12-15k,ther r cheaper ones out ther o,but considerin ur budget go for good stuff)

Baby high chair 22k(wen d baby grows a bit he can start eating in it)
Mini baby cot(1,500 to 3k,this is for wen u want d baby in d living room or on d bed wth u)
Try to buy quality things theyl come in handy for ur oda kids

For ur wife
Sanitary Pads
Soap
Toothpaste and Brush
Night gown
Bras
Beverages
Breastpads
Breastpump(if shez goin to nid to go out,she cud store some milk for d baby)

Wil post some pics soon to help u out

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Don't Know How And What To Shop For My Unborn Child by tjskii(f): 9:08am On Jun 17, 2013
Forgot to add flannel blankets,mittens, and bibs

3 Likes

Re: I Don't Know How And What To Shop For My Unborn Child by tjskii(f): 9:17am On Jun 17, 2013
Bouncer,babychest,minicot,sanitary pads

Next pics are

Mimi sleepsuits,sleepsuits,babywipes,

Wil post more later,hope this helps

1 Like

Re: I Don't Know How And What To Shop For My Unborn Child by Nobody: 10:21pm On Jun 17, 2013
thanks ma'am, sorry for bursting into the topic. pls, can give you give me the price of a pack of flannel blanket, mini sleepsuit and the long sleeve sleepsuit?. thank you.
Re: I Don't Know How And What To Shop For My Unborn Child by tjskii(f): 2:08am On Jun 18, 2013
Well d mini sleepsuits I got we're 7in a pack,got them for 3,800,while d sleepsuits are 3in a pack for 2500,can't rember ow much I got d flannel cos I bot those with my 1st pregncy,it can't be more than 3k,

1 Like

Re: I Don't Know How And What To Shop For My Unborn Child by omogemi: 4:51am On Jun 18, 2013
tjskii: Well d mini sleepsuits I got we're 7in a pack,got them for 3,800,while d sleepsuits are 3in a pack for 2500,can't rember ow much I got d flannel cos I bot those with my 1st pregncy,it can't be more than 3k,
actually, d flannel i got last year is a 2in one and it cost N2,300. U may get it for 2k or more depending on where u buy. Theres also d one of 500 naira.

1 Like

Re: I Don't Know How And What To Shop For My Unborn Child by omogemi: 4:57am On Jun 18, 2013
@tjskii, pls how much did u get ur baby cupboard?
Re: I Don't Know How And What To Shop For My Unborn Child by neneslim(m): 5:56am On Jun 18, 2013
its list for baby stuff not hospital. Cos At the back of our hospital card they wrote things we should come with for delivery.my wife is 5months already.she is a slim time so her tummy is not so obvious yet
omogemi: i meant to ask, is it list for d hospital or list of babys' personal things? Pls let us know so u can be told what to buy. How far gone is ur wife? If she's getting heavy then u need to shop pretty soon.
Re: I Don't Know How And What To Shop For My Unborn Child by tjskii(f): 7:45am On Jun 18, 2013
omogemi: @tjskii, pls how much did u get ur baby cupboard?

Got it for 25k(though later I saw something similar for 22k),I see wat u mean bout d flannel,thank God I don't av to buy anoda pack,dts lik 2300 saved cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: I Don't Know How And What To Shop For My Unborn Child by tjskii(f): 8:22am On Jun 18, 2013
High chair-22k,baby walker-19k,breastpump-7,500,ul also nid a carseat,feedingbottle warmer,baby bag(wher to put baby things incase ur wife nids to go out)when ure buying feeding bottles buy tommy tipee products,iv found that their bottleteats are softer compared to oda brands lik avent

2 Likes

Re: I Don't Know How And What To Shop For My Unborn Child by omogemi: 10:02pm On Jun 18, 2013
@tjskii i think only the things needed for the first three months is what should be listed. the walker, rocker, high chair and others needed much later should be included last so as not to get the expecting parents confused. or what do u think? a scale of prefernce i suppose.

1 Like

Re: I Don't Know How And What To Shop For My Unborn Child by tjskii(f): 11:19pm On Jun 18, 2013
Ok dear,if u say so cheesy,just thot I shud mention those thngs cos he said he had a budjet of bout 250k,I fgured he was ready to get them,but since he hasn't indicated that my posts werr helpful,I gues ur right wink
Re: I Don't Know How And What To Shop For My Unborn Child by neneslim(m): 9:11am On Jun 19, 2013
tjskii: Well d mini sleepsuits I got we're 7in a pack,got them for 3,800,while d sleepsuits are 3in a pack for 2500,can't rember ow much I got d flannel cos I bot those with my 1st pregncy,it can't be more than 3k,

ur posts are very helpful cos i ve taken a list of so mamy tins here bit tje bouncer i saw in ikota shopping complex kinda contradict the price u quote here. tanks A bunch. Nice to meet u.
Re: I Don't Know How And What To Shop For My Unborn Child by tjskii(f): 9:26am On Jun 19, 2013
Uw,glad to see my posts wernt in vain grin,as per d prices I just put up wat I got mine for as at almost 18 months ago,thyr just sposd to be a guide,u cud get them cheaper or more xpensive now,and of course bear in mind that certain brands are more xpensiv than others
Re: I Don't Know How And What To Shop For My Unborn Child by inwangobio(m): 9:48am On Jun 20, 2013
tjskii: Uw,glad to see my posts wernt in vain grin,as per d prices I just put up wat I got mine for as at almost 18 months ago,thyr just sposd to be a guide,u cud get them cheaper or more xpensive now,and of course bear in mind that certain brands are more xpensiv than others
Thanks so much for the list, its been of immense help to me, this is exactly what we were discussing this morning with my wife and I assured her that I will get every info that we need and this list has come handy now. Pls if u still have any other items to add don't hesitate, and for multiple do I need to buy all these items by the number they are or can some items be shared? What are those things that can be shared? Pls forgive me if the questions look silly.
Re: I Don't Know How And What To Shop For My Unborn Child by tjskii(f): 12:07pm On Jun 20, 2013
kiss kissim greatly encouraged,choi for multiples,ul av to get double o,in ur case I'd advice u to go for d cheaper stuff,lik d bouncer u can get for lik 7k(a fine one,and I'm givin u ibadan prices,I'm sure thyr cheaper in lag)walker iv seen one for bout 8k befor,for carseats(unles u can aford it)thyr nt realy necesary if u av peopl dt can cary d babies,I dnt thnk u shud buy a cot sef,the minicots shud do,unless u find a big enuf cot that will tak d 2of dem(but babies generaly dnt sleep in cots for long,dunno y)but I gues they can share the oda thngs iv listed,goodluck to u and wifey o,una go buy diapers tire cheesy cheesy cos I remember wth my 1st kid,I bot huggies diapersand befor I turn all d diapers go don finish,cos newborns can poop up to 5times a day,wth dis present baby I'm goin for cheaper diapers based on dia quantity not qualitygrin at least for d first 2months,befor I switch bak to quality

1 Like

Re: I Don't Know How And What To Shop For My Unborn Child by VENUSS(f): 12:20pm On Jun 20, 2013
inwangobio:
Thanks so much for the list, its been of immense help to me, this is exactly what we were discussing this morning with my wife and I assured her that I will get every info that we need and this list has come handy now. Pls if u still have any other items to add don't hesitate, and for multiple do I need to buy all these items by the number they are or can some items be shared? What are those things that can be shared? Pls forgive me if the questions look silly.
Bros, I de feel you die!!! Abeg no question is silly o. You have to learn what you don't know at least. Butu er ehm! Make we ask our mama generals some of the sharing question since she's EXPERIENCED in that area.
Me too am learning from here o. Good job Madam tjski. Even though my big sister wrote me a list since last year. So I will just do plus and minus.
May God give you all the strength to cater for this children
@ madam Tsjiki, his expecting triplets o. We don't even know yet if God will do his miracle and make it four..
Re: I Don't Know How And What To Shop For My Unborn Child by tjskii(f): 12:57pm On Jun 20, 2013
Chineke shocked shocked, 3-4 babies at once,ahhh bros xcept u get plenty money abeg scrap dt my list for dem bouncers and highchairs o,focus on d clothes,minicots,DIAPERS(buy dem plenty o)babyformular cos I doubt if ur wife can xclusively breastfeed dem,she'll nid to suplement wth baby food,feeding bottles,kai I'm overwhelmed,can't even thnk weRr to start,abeg any moms in d house wth experience on multiple babies,d lord is ur strength my broda,he dat has given u these precious gifts will provid u with all u nid to tak care of them,if ure into buyin dem baby bouncers and stuff,u shud be able to see d ones they ave for multipl babies,lemme check online,wil get bk to u

1 Like

Re: I Don't Know How And What To Shop For My Unborn Child by inwangobio(m): 9:18am On Jun 21, 2013
Lol @Venuss, How man go do now? I read one of these science courses in school so we do ask a lot of questions, we don't work with assumptions, some people may view some of our questions as silly. But this your quadruplets wish na waoooo, this triplets is a handful already, you need to see how my wife sleeps at night, I think this number is ok for now, al the scan results still show triplets, we hope to check their sexes maybe next week, everything is moving very well to His glory and praise. I hereby pass on d baton to you and the rest of my sisters in that our IVF thread.

@tjkii, thanks so much my sister for this good work. I want to assure you that I believe JEHOVAH JIREH, He is able to do it, I want to give them the best that I can, I have waited this long for them, so no moi moi, lol. I will do my best and I know God will help me. Besides, I have very supportive sisters in Blendy, Venuss, Oviasouth, CharisJaden, Nogen, Safe06 and the rest of my sisters in Ivf thread who will continue to pray along with me for God's openings, therefore, NO SHAKING.
Aaah , exclusive breastfeeding, u want kill my wife? Lol. We will start stocking their food a month to their arrival, pls do well to mention some of the formular that we can use. Thanks so so much for all your efforts, may God increase you on every side.
Re: I Don't Know How And What To Shop For My Unborn Child by tjskii(f): 10:51am On Jun 21, 2013
cheesy cheesy cheesy very happy for u and wifey o bros,as per formular,my doctors(I get dem plenty grin)say that sma gold is d best,though one of em says Nan is better,talk to ur doc before buyin dem in bulk sha,

I tried searchin onlin to see if one cud get bouncers that can accomodate multiples but I didn't find,but I kno such thngs exist,mayb ul av to order specialy to nigeria,u cud check asos.com,I kno they do free shippin to naija,and u get ur orders within 7-9 days,
Re: I Don't Know How And What To Shop For My Unborn Child by udoka2: 1:00pm On Jul 22, 2013
good to have searched and seen this post!

@brendy,
do you know of Pep Stores? is balogun price cheaper than them?
Re: I Don't Know How And What To Shop For My Unborn Child by omogemi: 9:33pm On Jul 22, 2013
udoka2: good to have searched and seen this post!

@brendy,
do you know of Pep Stores? is balogun price cheaper than them?
i dont know where u reside but i have seen two in my area now. BTW the store and products are china. i hv never shopd there but i understand its cheap goods n they dont last. dont know how true it is.
Re: I Don't Know How And What To Shop For My Unborn Child by udoka2: 9:46pm On Jul 22, 2013
Thank you Omogemi
I stay around Yaba, i may have to shop at Balogun then if thats the case.
Re: I Don't Know How And What To Shop For My Unborn Child by FADEO: 12:25am On Nov 26, 2014
This is an old discussion but its evergreen. coming handy at the right time. Thanks to all the contributors. Make me and wify enter market ASAP.
Re: I Don't Know How And What To Shop For My Unborn Child by PEARLmakeup(f): 6:06pm On Aug 06, 2015
contact makeup ville for ur affordable bridal makeup n gele for all occasions 08137463651 add bbm pin: 56719B45 for more info

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ahmed Mayowa Buried In South Africa / COVID-19: Lagos To start Hydroxychloroquine Clinical Trials Next Week / Nigeria May Record 700,000 Unwanted Pregnancies In 2023- UNDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.