Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,594 members, 7,809,155 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:42 AM

Zoning Will Divide Nigeria, Says Tinubu (in 2010) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Zoning Will Divide Nigeria, Says Tinubu (in 2010) (911 Views)

Adesina And Garba Will Have Serious Challenges Defending Buhari, Says Tinubu / Fani-Kayode - Jonathan Will Divide Nigeria If He Loses In 2015 / A Northerner Must Emerge In 2015 Or Nigeria Will Divide- Lawal Kaita (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Zoning Will Divide Nigeria, Says Tinubu (in 2010) by thelastPope(m): 5:44pm On Jun 16, 2013
Bola Tinubu, a former governor of Lagos State and a leader of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), on Thursday, criticised the selection formula for presidential candidates adopted by the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), describing the act as one "that promotes division" in the country.

Mr Tinubu, during an interview with correspondents at the Murtala Muhammed Airport, Lagos, said that though the leaders claim to be united in the race for one Nigeria, their actions speak otherwise, adding that the ACN will not adopt the style adopted by the PDP. "Ethnicity, zoning and the likes, that is silly for this country," he said. "My party doesn't believe in it; what the party says is that the candidate can come from anywhere. Why do you continue to promote division in this country? They are not good leaders, they are just like: you know all those people who are being paraded in the press today as nationalists, while they are not. Yesterday, they were calling for unity, united Nigeria, and all of that; but today they call for zoning. What are you preaching? Division, contradiction, in fact they should go and retire."

Mr Tinubu said that the leaders should vacate office for they have betrayed the trust reposed in them by the masses, adding that Nigeria needs a transformational leader. "They should go home and sleep," he said. "They are like fathers stealing from their baby's milk. There must be a generational change and transformation of this country. These people are tired; they've been roaming about. All of them put together, if they have any vision that they want to promote, they are already members of the Council of State, they are accessible to the President, whoever he is, they should go and articulate that vision and give him the advice; not to come back and confuse and consume our own heritage."

Denies signing advertorial

Asked if he was in support of the Southern Governors' Forum's clamour for a southern president, as published in an advertorial in a national daily on Thursday, Mr Tinubu said that the advertorial was "fraud." "Me? Which paper? ... I'm not Obasanjo now, that is fraud," he said. "I have not attended any meeting. I did not. At first when I formed the Southern Governors' Forum, it was purposely geared towards true federalism and fiscal federalism, and I articulated that on several occasions and I am still standing on that ground. I don't want to be a defective politician; I don't want to see Nigeria from the prism of North and South dichotomy. We got our independence collectively together sitting down. We grafted and adopted federal constitution, we don't bypass that. I'm not like some politicians who appear in the garment and the regalia of national politics yesterday and because of today, they become ethnic jingoist."

http://www.nigeriannewsservice.com/nns-news-archive/news-blocks/zoning-will-divide-nigeria-says-tinubu
Re: Zoning Will Divide Nigeria, Says Tinubu (in 2010) by thelastPope(m): 5:45pm On Jun 16, 2013
Now in 2013, APC zones presidency to the north!

It says it all. The whole fight is all about grabbing power at the center and not about changing Nigeria. Shameful stuff!
Re: Zoning Will Divide Nigeria, Says Tinubu (in 2010) by Nobody: 5:54pm On Jun 16, 2013
thelastPope: Now in 2013, APC zones presidency to the north!

It says it all. The whole fight is all about grabbing power at the center and not about changing Nigeria. Shameful stuff!

You are the one indulging in shameful endeavor. Officially, APC is yet to be registered but in your wild imaginations, positions have been zoned and shared.

This is the latest news on APC:

EXCLUSIVE: INEC replies APC on registration request

The electoral body demanded copies of the association’s constitution and manifesto.
The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, has responded to the request by the All Progressive Congress, APC, for registration as a party and demanded relevant documents to back the claims made in its application.
APC, which is the merger of some opposition parties, had on June 5 applied to the electoral body seeking to be registered as a political party.
The merging parties as presented to the electoral body are the Action Congress of Nigeria, ACN; All Nigeria Peoples Party, ANPP; and the Congress for Progressive Change, CPC.
Other opposition parties in the merger are the Democratic Peoples Party, DPP, and a section of the All Progressives Grand Alliance, APGA.
The application was signed by the National Chairmen, Secretaries and Treasurers of ACN, ANPP and CPC as the other two did not hold special conventions to authorise their dissolution into the the APC.
In a letter dated June 12 and signed by its Secretary, Abdullahi Kaugama, the Commission asked APC to forward 35 copies of its constitution and manifesto to it. It also demanded an affidavit in support of its claim in Form PA 1.
The letter addressed to the national secretariat of the association at 6, Bissau Street, Wuse and obtained by PREMIUM TIMES reads, “Re” Request for Merger of the ACN, ANPP and CPC.
“Please, refer to your letter dated June 5, 2013, and find forwarded herewith 35 copies of the Commission prescribed Form A1 for your completion and return to the Commission.
“You are therefore requested to submit the under-listed documents –
1. 35 copies of proposed constitution
2. 35 copies of proposed manifesto
3. Affidavit in support for the claim in Form PA 1;
“You may note that the Commission shall verify the proposed headquarters address and claims in the Form PA 1.
“Kindly revert to enable the Commission commence the process of your request.”
It is not clear whether the association has responded to INEC’s demands.
http://premiumtimesng.com/news/138840-exclusive-inec-replies-apc-on-registration-request.html

Let the party be registered first, then adopt zoning via press release circulated widely before you unleash your odious propaganda. Speculations are not more than rumors.

1 Like

Re: Zoning Will Divide Nigeria, Says Tinubu (in 2010) by Jorian1(m): 6:00pm On Jun 16, 2013
if e wan divide make him divide. I don tire
Re: Zoning Will Divide Nigeria, Says Tinubu (in 2010) by thelastPope(m): 6:23pm On Jun 16, 2013
Prof Corruption:

You are the one indulging in shameful endeavor. Officially, APC is yet to be registered but in your wild imaginations, positions have been zoned and shared.

This is the latest news on APC:

Let the party be registered first, then adopt zoning via press release circulated widely before you unleash your odious propaganda. Speculations are not more than rumors.

Why are you foming in the mouth? I am not the one that did the story. Please visit the links below. thank you

http://tribune.com.ng/news2013/en/component/k2/item/14466-2015-apc-zones-presidency-to-north-%E2%80%A2fears-court-injunction-%E2%80%A2el-rufai-may-emerge-national-scribe.html

http://www.punchng.com/news/tension-in-apc-over-sharing-of-offices/

(1) (Reply)

Has Poverty Level Reduced....?acn Asks Jonathan / President Jonathan Holds Secret Peace Meeting Governor Amaechi / PHOTO- Lagos Housewife Pierces This Lady’s Heart With Knife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.