Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,754 members, 7,851,586 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 11:34 PM

Latest Football Transfer News - Sports (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Latest Football Transfer News (49363 Views)

Poll: What should a manager be particular about in a transfer deal?

Transfer Fee: 20% (44 votes)
History: 4% (10 votes)
Form: 22% (48 votes)
Future: 19% (42 votes)
Marketability: 5% (12 votes)
Vulnerability to Injury: 9% (21 votes)
Nationality: 0% (1 vote)
Willingness to join: 8% (19 votes)
Wages: 4% (10 votes)
Maturity: 4% (9 votes)
This poll has ended

Latest Football Clubs Transfer Updates Across The Globe / Get Ur Updated Football Transfer News And Rumours Here!!! / Download Latest Football Highlights Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 5:31pm On Jul 18, 2007
Birmingham boss Steve Bruce claims he is not at all worried about [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mido_%28footballer%29]Mido's[/url] temperament and believes he and compatriot Hossam Ghaly would prove hugely successful at St Andrews.

The Tottenham duo are thought to be on the verge of sealing moves to Birmingham, with Mido expected to join on an initial one-year loan deal followed by a £5million permanent switch if they stay up and Ghaly likely to join for £3million.

But, while there are question marks over Mido's attitude, Bruce insists that he has no concerns about signing the Egypt international.

"The boy just wants to play," he told the Birmingham Mail. "I've done it before with others - taken them on loan and given them a chance to come and enjoy themselves.

"I think he'll be a huge player for Birmingham, I really do.

"His reputation? He's definitely got something about him - he'll be a challenge - but that doesn't worry me at all.

"I think the Birmingham fans like someone who is a bit of a hot-head. We all do, don't we?

"Yes, his make-up is not the same as most, but he's still a very decent boy, let me tell you."

And Bruce feels both Mido and Ghaly will fit in well at the club if the deals are completed.

"They are both 24, they've represented their country numerous times and they have done very, very well for Tottenham.

"They are quality players and I'm sure they will both fit in here with what we are trying to do."

And, although Mido and Ghaly would be Birmingham's eighth and ninth signings of the summer, Bruce claims there may still be more bids in the offing.

"It's taking shape. There's one or two more things we're still trying to do," concluded Bruce.

Sky Sports

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dblock(m): 8:15am On Jul 20, 2007
Odemwingie moves to Lokomotiv Moscow

Soccer-Roundup-Nigeria striker Odemwingie on board for Lokomotiv

Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:00PM BST

MOSCOW, July 19 (Reuters) - Soccer news in brief from around the world:

*Lokomotiv Moscow have signed Nigeria striker Peter Odemwingie on a four-year contract from French club Lille, a spokesman for the Russian Premier League side confirmed on Thursday.

Odemwingie, 25, who was born in Uzbekistan and has dual Nigerian and Russian citizenship, had been negotiating with Spartak Moscow before agreeing a deal with their rivals.

According to French media reports, Lokomotiv have agreed to pay around 10.0 million euros for Odemwingie.

*Everton striker James Vaughan will miss the start of the Premier League season after suffering a dislocated shoulder in Wednesday night's pre-season friendly at Preston North End.

Alan Irvine, Everton's assistant manager, told the club Web site (www.evertonfc.com) that the 19-year-old Vaughan, the Premier League's youngest ever scorer, would be sidelined for "months rather than weeks".

http://uk.reuters.com/article/UK_SOCCER/idUKL1993192820070719
Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 10:34pm On Jul 20, 2007
Everton have agreed to sign Borussia Dortmund's South Africa midfielder Steven Pienaar on a one-year loan deal, BBC Sport understands.
The move is subject to a work permit, with the outcome set to be revealed next week.

Pienaar, who has one international cap, joined Borussia from Ajax last summer when Tomas Rosicky moved to Arsenal.

However, the 25-year-old has struggled at the Bundesliga club and failed to find the net in 25 league appearances.

BBC Sport.

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 10:43pm On Jul 20, 2007
Charlton winger Dennis Rommedahl has joined Dutch side Ajax for £680,000.
The Denmark international, who has signed a three-year deal, signed for the Addicks in 2004 from PSV Eindhoven for £2m and made 84 appearances.

"Ajax fits me perfectly. I hope that Ajax think the same. I wanted to return to Holland very much," said Rommedahl.

"I played a lot of years in the Dutch Eredivisie, and I love the positive football that is played there. That absolutely counts for Ajax."

He added: "They play on the attack and always play for prizes. But since I went to England I became more of an all-round player."

He scored six times for Charlton, including a double in the FA Cup third-round win over Sheffield Wednesday in 2006.

Rommedahl has won 67 caps for Denmark, scoring against France in the World Cup finals of 2002.

BBC Sport

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 10:47pm On Jul 20, 2007
Birmingham have agreed a £6m deal with Spurs for striker [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mido_%28footballer%29]Mido[/url].
The 24-year-old Egyptian star had been expected to move to Birmingham on a one-year loan deal after struggling to make an impact at Spurs last season.

But now a permanent move has been struck, subject to Mido agreeing personal terms with Birmingham and passing a medical.

Mido will be Birmingham boss Steve Bruce's biggest buy of the summer so far if the deal goes through.

He is now further down the pecking order after Spurs signed Darren Bent.

Birmingham boss Bruce has also made an enquiry about Mido's Egypt and Spurs team-mate, Hossam Ghaly, as he looks to build on the squad that earned promotion last season.

BBC Sport

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 10:52pm On Jul 20, 2007
Gabriel Heinze will have to defy Sir Alex Ferguson to secure a £7m move from Manchester United to Liverpool.
Liverpool have met the fee that would secure the 29-year-old Argentine defender's release - stated in a letter from United to Heinze's agent.

Ferguson, however, has insisted Heinze would not be sold to their arch-rivals.

But BBC Sport understands the letter does not preclude Liverpool from buying Heinze, and he could fight United to secure a switch to Anfield.

The fee, believed to be higher than the £6.8m mentioned, is not in Heinze's contract, it is contained in the letter to his agent.

Heinze is keen to leave Old Trafford, and Juventus and Real Madrid are also monitoring his situation.

Liverpool are not in dispute with United, having seen their offer turned down, but now the onus is on Heinze to push for the move and risk fierce antagonism from Ferguson and United's fans.

Ferguson said: "I can assure you Liverpool will not be getting Gabriel Heinze.

"We have had a couple of offers for him and we have turned them down."

Heinze has become a firm favourite with the fans at Old Trafford but told Ferguson earlier this month that he wanted a move.

He has been in action for Argentina in the Copa America, denying Ferguson the opportunity to speak to him face-to-face.

But Ferguson insists that if Heinze is to leave, it will be on United's terms.

He stated: "Heinze's agents are rolling the ball all the time but no matter what his agent thinks, we are in the driving seat.

"I don't exactly know what Gaby thinks because it is all coming from his agent but this has been going on for a year-and-a-half now."

The deadline for Heinze to invoke a buy-out clause is also reported to have expired, and Liverpool will have no further involvement in any deal unless it is revived by the defender's own desire to switch to Anfield.

Had the Argentine stated his intent to pay up the remainder of his two-year contract, Ferguson could not have stopped him moving to Liverpool.

Ferguson is unlikely to allow any of his top players to join Liverpool - one of United's fiercest rivals.

Only Phil Chisnall in 1962 has travelled the route in modern times.

BBC Sport

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 10:58pm On Jul 20, 2007
Jerzy Dudek has signed a two-year deal with Spanish champions Real Madrid.
The 34-year-old Pole was released by Liverpool at the end of last season after failing to dislodge Pepe Reina from the first-choice spot at Anfield.

He will be the reserve keeper at Real, behind Spain international number one stopper Iker Casillas.

After giving Dudek a medical, Dr. Del Corral told Real Madrid's website: "He is 34 but he is as fit as a young player. He is a true athlete."

Dudek joined Liverpool from Dutch club Feyenoord for £4.85m in August 2001, but last season his relationship with coach Rafael Benitez became been strained.

BBC Sport

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 11:02pm On Jul 20, 2007
Middlesbrough have agreed a fee of £2.5m with Championship side Charlton for defender [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luke_Young_%28footballer%29]Luke Young[/url].
The England right-back's move to the Riverside is subject to a medical while personal terms have yet to be agreed.

The 28-year-old has made over 200 appearances for the Addicks since signing from Spurs for £4m in 2001.

Last week, Charlton manager Alan Pardew said he would not prevent Young from leaving The Valley should a Premiership club come calling.

He said: "I've got a lot of time for Luke and I appreciate he wants to play in the Premier League.

"If a decent club comes in and I thought the fee was right I'd let him go.

"I've obviously brought in a replacement already in Yassin Moutaouakil, who I feel is going to give real competition to Luke if he stays."

Pardew added: "I know that if we don't get the right offer then he'll stay and be as professional as he is. There is no bad feeling and he's not being difficult."

BBC Sport

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 11:11pm On Jul 20, 2007
Veteran Spanish striker Ismael Urzaiz has signed a one-year contract with Ajax.

Urzaiz ended his lengthy association with Athletic Bilbao at the end of last season and had been keen to move to England.

But the 35-year-old admits the chance to play UEFA Champions League football with Ajax was too good to refuse.

"For me it is very attractive because I will play in the Champions League again," Urzaiz told the Spanish media.

"After leaving Athletic, my dream was the Premier League, but the offers were not interesting.

"I have spoken with the coach (Henk) Ten Cate and he has convinced me to accept this adventure.

"I am very impressed with the project and it was nearly impossible to reject this chance."

Ajax coach Ten Cate could make it a double swoop after confirming his interest in Real Sociedad midfielder Xabi Prieto.

Ten Cate told Highglow.nl: "He is a good player, a very good player.

"It's about how much that boy wants to come and Ajax reach an agreement with his club.

"He's a good player, you don't have to have doubts about that. He is a technically skilled player for who people come to the stadium to see."

[urlhttp://home.skysports.com/transferarticle.aspx?hlid=477732]Sky Sports[/url]

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 11:18pm On Jul 20, 2007
MADRID, July 20 (Reuters) - Valencia have signed Spain centre-back Ivan Helguera from Primera Liga rivals Real Madrid, the two clubs confirmed on Friday.

The 32-year-old negotiated a release from his contract with the Spanish champions, which still had a year left to run, and signed a three-year deal with Valencia.

Helguera, who has been capped 47 times for Spain, won three league titles and two European Cups after joining Real from Espanyol in 1999.

He was overlooked at the start of last season by coach Fabio Capello, who reversed his decision to bring him back in from the cold to give him 21 starts during their victorious league campaign.

But the arrivals of Bernd Schuster as replacement for Capello, and two new centre-backs in the shape of Christoph Metzelder and Pepe in the close season, left Helguera surplus to requirements.

Valencia will be glad to pick up an experienced defender after losing Argentine stalwart Roberto Ayala to Real Zaragoza.

ESPNsoccernet

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 11:22pm On Jul 20, 2007
Former Italy striker Christian Vieri has signed for Fiorentina on a one-year deal, the Serie A side said on Friday.

Vieri, 34, had been looking for a club since his release by Atalanta at the end of the season and will now try to fill the boots of Luca Toni, who has left for Bayern Munich.

"Fiorentina announce the signing of attacker Christian Vieri on a one-year deal," a statement read on the club's website.

The much-travelled Vieri was let go by Atalanta after making just seven appearances in an injury-hit year, and media reports have said many Fiorentina fans are unhappy with coach Cesare Prandelli for signing him.

Vieri, who bagged 49 caps for Italy scoring 23 goals, had the most success at Inter Milan between 1999 and 2005 but also played for Juventus, Lazio, Milan, Atletico Madrid and Monaco.

Fiorentina qualified for this year's UEFA Cup through Serie A last season despite being deducted 15 points for their role in Italy's match-fixing scandal.

The club also brought in Chievo midfielder Franco Semioli on Thursday.

ESPNsoccernet

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 11:26pm On Jul 20, 2007
Manchester United chief executive David Gill is confident the Carlos Tevez affair will be settled before the transfer window closes at midnight on August 31.

FIFA, football's world governing body, have been asked to break the contractual impasse which has blocked Tevez's proposed move from West Ham to Old Trafford.

With the transfer deadline looming, Manchester United want the case heard on an ``expedited basis''.

And Gill expects FIFA's disputes resolution panel to have reached a decision before the window closes.

``What you find in these situations is that FIFA and the necessary bodies try to make sure the player can play, whether it's for Manchester United or for West Ham,'' said Gill, who is on United's pre-season tour of the Far East.

``I would have thought they will do everything they can to make sure the decision is made within the appropriate period.''

Even if the issue does stretch beyond August 31, Tevez would still be allowed to move to Manchester United if FIFA determine he is an effective free agent.

The same situation applied to Tevez's fellow Argentina international, Javier Mascherano, when he moved from West Ham to Liverpool earlier this year.

West Ham, Manchester United and Tevez's adviser Kia Joorabchian were all keen for FIFA to be called in to settle the complex situation.

The row is over who owns the player and therefore who Manchester United do a deal with and in recent days has led to a an outbreak of mud-slinging between West Ham and Joorabchian.

West Ham insist Tevez is contracted and registered with them while Joorabchian and his company MSI claim to own the Argentina striker's economic rights.

The Premier League have demanded West Ham must receive the bulk of the £30million-plus transfer fee if they are to sanction the move.

Gill added: ``The issue is effectively who owns the economic rights to the player, who owns the registration of that player, and therefore what happens to any monies that we might pay.

``Can he unilaterally terminate his registration? Can he move on? That's the fundamental issue.''

West Ham insist they will be bound by FIFA's verdict and will not take the matter further.

ESPNsoccernet
Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 11:28pm On Jul 20, 2007
Arsene Wenger maintains Arsenal are not about to sign Nicolas Anelka - or any other striker.

Anelka - now 28 and with Bolton - enjoyed a successful spell with the Gunners in helping fire them to the Premier League and FA Cup double in 1998 before joining Real Madrid for £22million a year later.

Wenger had been linked with a swoop for Anelka - who also had spells at Liverpool and Manchester City - following the departure of captain Thierry Henry to Barcelona.

However, with recent acquisition Eduardo da Silva now on board - the Brazil-born Croatian forward having made his debut against Turkish side Genclerbirligi in Austria last night - the Arsenal manager insists he is no longer in the market for an attacker.

Asked whether he was set to move for Anelka, Wenger replied: 'No. We have signed Eduardo. We do not collect strikers, we buy the strikers we need.

'This season, we also expect Nicklas Bendtner to step forward and show us some aspects of his talent,' Wenger told Arsenal TV Online.

Wenger, meanwhile, could be set to add South American teenagers Angel Di Maria and Pedro Silva to his squad, following impressive reports from scout Gilles Grimandi.

Arsenal's two-match tour is completed against Salzburg next Wednesday, before they host the Emirates Cup on July 28 and 29, ahead of the Amsterdam Tournament ahead and then the domestic campaign opener against Fulham on August 12.

ESPNsoccernet
Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 11:34pm On Jul 20, 2007
Bolton boss Sammy Lee has pledged to bring in even more new faces following Heidar Helguson's arrival at the Reebok Stadium.

Helguson will link up with fellow new-boys Gavin McCann and Jlloyd Samuel next season after agreeing a three-year deal to move north from Fulham.

Trotters supporters will hope Helguson will have as much impact as another Iceland international, Eidur Gudjohnsen, did at his time with the club.

However, with a UEFA Cup campaign looming and a top-six spot to defend, Lee knows he needs a few more players yet before he can be totally satisfied heading into the new campaign.

'We have not finished adding to the squad yet,' he said.

'You have to be looking to improve things on a daily basis and I feel we are still one or two components missing.

'Hopefully we will find them before the beginning of the season.'

With his side on the brink of netting £1million in prize money should they emerge triumphant from tomorrow's Peace Cup Final with Lyon at Seoul's World Cup Stadium, Lee has made an impressive start to life as Sam Allardyce's replacement.
And the former Liverpool player has admitted Helguson is a player he has admired for some time.

'I have always been an admirer of Heidar's ability to score goals in vital games,' said Lee.

'He has a number of qualities, that will add to this club.

'He has a great work ethic and an excellent first touch. He rides a challenge extremely well and his aerial prowess is better than people give him credit for.'

ESPNsoccernet

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 11:39pm On Jul 20, 2007
Real Madrid coach Bernd Schuster remains adamant that the Spanish champions 'will obtain' Chelsea winger Arjen Robben.

The Dutch international has been targeted by Schuster since the German took over at the Bernabeu from Fabio Capello earlier this summer, even though he is currently on the Blues' pre-season tour of the USA.

Reports today suggest Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich has insisted the 23-year-old will not be sold at any price.

But Schuster told Spanish television: 'I think we'll succeed.

'It doesn't worry me if Arjen arrives tomorrow, or the day after tomorrow, or even if he's not here for the first Liga game, because he's already in pre-season training and thus we won't see any physical problems.'

On Wednesday, Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho stated he wanted Robben to stay at the club.

He said: 'At the moment he is a Chelsea player with two more years of contract and he is working well. For me, he is a player like (John) Terry or (Frank) Lampard with two more years of contract.'

Other reports this morning suggested Robben will have to request a transfer from Chelsea formally if he is to force through a move to Real Madrid before the window closes at the end of next month, with the Premier League club still steadfastly resistant to him leaving Stamford Bridge.

ESPNsoccernet

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by debosky(m): 3:14am On Jul 21, 2007
don't mean to break the flow, but i just have to say: Excellent Job Dino, keep it up! wink
Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 9:14pm On Jul 21, 2007
thanks for the appreciation smiley.
Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 9:22pm On Jul 21, 2007
Robbie Fowler has agreed to join Cardiff on a two-year contract.

The 32-year-old striker was released by Liverpool at the end of last season and has rejected moves to Leicester City and Sydney FC in Australia's A-League.

Fowler will be re-united with Cardiff chairman Peter Ridsdale, who was in charge at Leeds when he signed from Liverpool for £11m in November 2001.

He is expected to be officially unveiled at a news conference in Cardiff early next week.

"It's taken a lot of hard work but thankfully it's done now," Cardiff manager Dave Jones told BBC Wales Sport.

"I met Robbie on holiday in America, just a chance meeting, and asked him what he was doing.

"He wasn't sure so I went on the internet to check his record and found he wasn't a bad player so I thought we might chase him.

"Peter [Ridsdale] has worked really hard on it and I'm glad he's decided to we are the club he wants to join."

Fowler's arrival at Ninian Park comes just over a week after Cardiff sold last season's top scorer Michael Chopra to Sunderland for £4.5m.

Jones revealed he would have signed Fowler even if Chopra had stayed, and stressed the former England striker still has the hunger to be successful.

"He's certainly got that, that's not in question," added Jones. "And to bank £4.5m for Chopra and then to get Robbie Fowler on a free transfer is good business.

"It puts the club in a healthy position, which is what we've been fighting for over the last 12 months."

Sydney FC had hoped to lure Fowler, and the former England striker was impressed with the set up after travelling to Australia for talks.

But his representative George Scott revealed Sydney were unable to compete financially with the other offers for Fowler.

"The only thing against them is that Robbie is a Premiership player and he is used to Premiership money," said Scott.

"The Premiership is unique in terms of the crazy money it generates and there is nothing in the world that replicates it, not even Spain. That money is well beyond Sydney and the Australian league and we know that.

"It is really a battle between money and quality of life and believe me, quality of life counts for a lot of money. All the money in the world is not going to buy your family's happiness."

Fowler becomes Cardiff's sixth summer signing of the summer, following Trevor Sinclair, Gavin Rae, Steven MacLean, Tony Capaldi and Michael Oakes to Ninian Park.

Jones revealed he still wants to bring another goalkeeper and a striker before the start of the season, but categorically dismissed reports that Cardiff had agreed a £1m deal to sign Blackburn's Francis Jeffers.

"That is a total fabrication of a story," said Jones. "I just do not know where these people get it from.

"Someone asks you a question, you give an answer and all of a sudden two and two becomes 10. It's totally untrue and I find it absolutely amazing."

Fowler made his Liverpool debut as an 18-year-old in 1993, scoring 171 goals in 330 games before joining Leeds for £11m in 2001 and then Manchester City for £6m in 2003.

Fowler returned for a second spell at Anfield in January 2006, although his starting appearances were limited.

BBC Sport

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 9:28pm On Jul 21, 2007
Sir Alex Ferguson does not currently have a back-up plan, if the [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_T%C3%A9vez]Carlos Tevez[/url] deal falls through.

Manchester United are trying to push forward with a deal to sign Tevez from West Ham United before the close of the transfer window.

The matter has been referred to Fifa, with Football Association officials, and possibly Premier League representatives, due to meet world football's governing body on Monday to discuss the transfer.

United boss Ferguson remains hopeful that the champions can conclude a deal for the Argentina striker before 31st August.

But Ferguson acknowledges that, should the move falter, he will have to revise his plans as he does not have a fall-back.

"I am confident Carlos Tevez will sign and I am happy to wait until clearance comes along," said Ferguson.

"If it became obvious the situation wasn't going to turn our way we would have to reconsider our plans.

"But I have nothing as a fall-back position at this moment in time."

Red Devils chief executive David Gill added: "It is a complicated matter being worked on by all the parties involved and we hope for a positive resolution in the course of the next few weeks.

"We are in discussions with the FA and Fifa on the matter. It is moving to the appropriate body."

Skysports

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 9:40pm On Jul 21, 2007
Arsenal youngster Carlos Vela has agreed to join Osasuna on loan next season.

The Mexican teenager is yet to play for The Gunners as the Under 20 international does not quality for a work permit.

He has already been out on loan at Celta Vigo and Salamanca, and was wanted this summer by Levante and Almeria.

But Vela's agent Eduardo Hernandez has revealed the forward has agreed to join Osasuna for a year, with the option of a second season.

"It is a fact, the player goes away to Osasuna," Hernandez told Marca.

"The negotiation has been closed for a loan for a year and with the possibility that it is extended to two, but an option to buy has not been contemplated.

"For Arsenal, it interests them that he plays regularly and he will do that in Osasuna.

"Vela is very happy, it is incredible what he has done. At 17 years, he played in the second division and at 18 in the first with Osasuna

Skysports

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 9:49pm On Jul 21, 2007
Sam Allardyce plans talks with Kieron Dyer to discuss whether the Newcastle United midfielder has been affected by rumours of a move to West Ham United.

Reports have suggested The Hammers are looking to take the England midfielder to Upton Park, although no bid has been lodged to date.

Allardyce admits he would be reluctant to lose Dyer, who finally appears to have overcome his long-standing injury troubles.

But the Newcastle manager concedes he needs to discuss the situation with the 28-year-old to determine if Dyer wants to join West Ham.

"If we are going to hear from West Ham, I would assume it's going to be this weekend," said Allardyce.

"If we get a bid we will take it from there, but I'm not keen to lose Kieron.

"Kieron is a player who is an integral part of my plans, but, like everything else, I will need to have a chat with him.

"I think Kieron has had his unhappy days here, which he will never forget and for which he will never forgive some people.

"When you're somewhere for nine years, you have your good times and your bad times, and you remember the bad times as much as you remember the good.

"I don't know if he is unhappy here or whether the speculation about West Ham has had any effect.

"I will have a talk with him next week and see where we stand. It would take a very sizeable offer to even tempt me to let him go."

Skysports

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 9:55pm On Jul 21, 2007
Wes Brown says talk that he could leave Manchester United over the summer is 'rubbish'.

The defender has never truly established himself as a regular in the United line-up and is aware of his status in Sir Alex Ferguson's squad.

He has been linked with a move to another Premier League club, but insists he has never considered leaving Old Trafford.

"Talk about me leaving this summer was rubbish really," Brown told the club's official website.

"I love being a Manchester United player and I have never thought about going anywhere else.

"There is always competition for places here. We have brought in some more new faces and the team is looking young and good. It will be great to be involved this season."

The England international also feels quitting the champions would be a step down and he would 'dread' discussing a move away from his only club.

He added: "Throughout my career I've always been a squad player. The manager knows he can pick me and I can do a good job, so I'm very happy here.

"Leaving United is a conversation I would dread to have with the gaffer. I love playing for United.

"It's my home town, so I'm just glad to still be here after all the injuries I've had. Leaving would be a step down."

[url=http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=477912&CPID=8&clid=1&lid=2&title=Brown:+I+won't+leave+United]Skysports[/url]

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 10:02pm On Jul 21, 2007
Middlesbrough boss Gareth Southgate remains confident that he will be able to call on Yakubu Aiyegbeni's services next season.

Yakubu is understood to be unsettled on Teesside, but as yet no club have made a suitable approach to Boro.

The likes of Aston Villa, Manchester City, Portsmouth and West Ham are all thought to be keeping tabs on the situation - but Yakubu has started pre-season with Boro and Southgate wants it to stay that way.

"Yakubu is still part of my plans, absolutely," said Southgate.

"He has been with us in Austria and worked very hard with everybody else.

"I read the speculation the same as everybody else but we have had no contact from any other club.

"Whether people are trying to unsettle the player I don't know, but he seems very happy to be back with us having reported back from Nigeria and we are looking to him as being a big part of our team."

Meanwhile, former Hartlepool boss Martin Scott has been appointed Boro's new Under-18 coach.

"I’m really excited about the chance to work with Boro’s excellent young players," said Scott.

"The quality of players here is excellent and hopefully I can use my experience to help them."

Skysports

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 10:10pm On Jul 21, 2007
Jermain Defoe says he does not expect to leave Tottenham this summer.

The England striker has been linked with a host of clubs over the summer and fresh reports have claimed that Portsmouth are ready to mount a fresh bid.

However, Defoe, who has just flown to South Africa for Spurs' pre-season tour of the country, has admitted he is not expecting to leave White Hart Lane.

"At the end of the day, if I was going to leave I would have gone by now," he told the Daily Mirror.

"The fans know I love the club, all my friends are here so I am just looking forward to putting on a Spurs shirt and scoring many goals.

"There has been competition for places for the past few years now.

"There's so much quality in the dressing room that it keeps you on your toes so you've got to play well and that is only good for the club."

Skysports

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 7:40pm On Jul 22, 2007
Jose Mourinho has insisted that Arjen Robben's absence from the friendly with Los Angeles Galaxy was because of an injury and not a move to Real Madrid.
Real claimed last week that they were confident of landing the winger and he was set to fly out to Spain.

But Chelsea boss Mourinho said Robben, 23, has a knee problem and is on tour with the Blues in the United States.

"Robben is injured. He is here and he is flying home with us, not to Madrid," confirmed Mourinho.

Chelsea beat Galaxy 1-0, thanks to a goal from captain John Terry, and Mourinho admitted that the Major League Soccer side provided a tough test for the Blues.

"The game was difficult," conceded Mourinho. I think LA played with a lot of class. They gave us a hard game.

"We had the chance to score many goals but at this moment in pre-season I prefer matches with difficulties than easy matches. We won the match as we wanted to.

"We played for about an hour in 4-4-2, which is a method I want to use. We played for the last half-an-hour with three defenders, which was an experience I wanted them to have because during the season we will have some matches where we must play like this."

Mourinho was happy that his pre-season programme had continued without further injury problems following last week's news that defender Wayne Bridge was ruled out for two months with a hip injury.

"We finished this part of the pre-season without injuries so I go back to London happy with these 15 days," added Mourinho.

BBC Sport
Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 7:45pm On Jul 22, 2007
Paris Saint-Germain defender Bernard Mendy has revealed his desire to sign for Celtic after being linked with the Glasgow club.
Celtic manager Gordon Strachan is looking for a right-sided defender following the departure of Paul Telfer.

"Celtic are a great club and I would certainly consider the option of a move," said the 25-year-old.

"I like British football and I enjoyed my spell on loan at Bolton in season 2002-03."

Mendy's manager at PSG, former Rangers boss Paul Le Guen, would not be keen on the defender leaving but needs the money a fee would generate to revamp his squad.

"The possibility of playing in the Champions League again is extremely attractive," added Mendy.

"However, at this stage, I have not been informed of any official offer from Celtic.

"But I have heard that Paris St Germain are looking for a new right back.

"My contract finishes in June 2008 and, while I am happy to remain here and and give my all for the club until then, I must be open to offers."

Meanwhile, Celtic have been linked in the Spanish media with a move for Barcelona striker Santiago Ezquerro along with Osasuna, AEK Athens and his old club, Athletico Bilbao.

But reports in the British press that the 30-year-old is a free agent are wide of the mark.

He had hoped that the summer signing of Thierry Henry would persuade Barca to allow him to leave.

But, when Bilbao expressed an interest, their Spanish rivals demanded a fee, reported to be about £2m.

And Ezquerro is expected to overcome recent injury to travel to Scotland with the Barca squad for this week's friendlies against Dundee United and Hearts.

Ezquerro previously played for Osasuna, Atletico Madrid and Mallorca before joining Bilbao.

His form there led to his transfer to Barca in 2005, but he was unable to establish himself as a first-team regular.

BBC Sport

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by Razorr(f): 2:41pm On Jul 23, 2007
[size=18pt]Hammers confirm Freddie deal[/size]

West Ham have confirmed the signing of Freddie Ljungberg from Arsenal.

The 30-year-old has completed his move to Upton Park after agreeing personal terms and passing a medical.

The move ends a nine-year spell at Arsenal for Ljungberg who joined the club from Halmstads in 1998.

The Swedish international struggled with injuries last season and Arsenal have decided to let him move on as he could not be guaranteed a regular spot in Arsene Wenger's side.

Ljungberg becomes West Ham's fifth new signing of the summer and he will help bolster Alan Curbishley's midfield options following the injury to Julien Faubert and the departure of Yossi Benayoun to Liverpool.

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=478286&CPID=8&clid=3&lid=2&title=Hammers+confirm+Freddie+deal
Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 9:25pm On Jul 23, 2007
Milan president Silvio Berlusconi is refusing to give up on his dream of re-signing Andrei Shevchenko.

The Ukraine striker left Milan for Chelsea last summer and struggled to make an impact during his debut campaign at Stamford Bridge.

He has been linked with a return to San Siro and Berlusconi confirmed he still wants to bring Shevchenko back to the club.

"We expressed our liking for his possible return, but the problem is Chelsea," said Berlusconi at a press conference.

"We are waiting for something that could move."

The European champions have encountered frustration in the transfer market so far this summer, but Berlusconi expects a new striker to be added to Carlo Ancelotti's squad.

He continued: "At least a striker will arrive. We have been in the market, but until now we have not reached a conclusion because the available players wouldn't have improved the group, whilst the ones we wanted, and that would have increased our potential, have been declared untransferable."

Berlusconi again dismissed the notion that Kaka could leave the Rossoneri, and acknowledged an interest in the Brazilian's promising compatriot Alexandra Pato.

"[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kak%C3%A1]Kaka[/url]? These are all inventions," said Berlusconi. "There has never been a little possibility that he could move, either because we don't want to sell him, or because he wants to stay.

"There is no possibility he could leave in the future because we want him to end his career here.

"Pato? He's a promising player in world football and we have the intention to go for him."

Sky Sports

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 9:36pm On Jul 23, 2007
The row over Gabriel Heinze's proposed move to Liverpool is threatening to spill over into open warfare after Sir Alex Ferguson confirmed Manchester United are investigating the possibility their north-west rivals made an illegal approach for the Argentina defender.

United have flatly refused to do business with Liverpool, even though Rafael Benitez has matched United's £6.8million asking price for the 29-year-old.

Although Heinze's agent claims to be in receipt of a letter which effectively gives the full-back permission to leave Old Trafford, United chief executive David Gill does not believe it over-rides the player's contract, which still has two years to run.

In any case, Gill insists he verbally informed Heinze's agent that United would not be prepared to do business with any of their main Premier League rivals, specifically Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea.

Currently on a short break following his participation at the Copa America, Heinze is said to be considering a legal challenge to Gill's view.

Yet the United stance only backs up Ferguson's previously stated opinion that Heinze had no chance of joining the Champions League finalists, a position that has only hardened over the past few days, with the United boss adding a further twist to the saga.

'Gabriel Heinze will not be joining Liverpool,' he said immediately after his side's 6-0 pre-season win over Chinese League outfit Shenzhen in Macau.

'We are examining some of the statements coming from his agent and when contact was first made with Liverpool.

'We are not happy with the agent's conduct in the matter and we are examining that as well, but it will take a couple of days before we have anything more to say.'

By coincidence Liverpool are only 40 miles away from United, having landed in Hong Kong yesterday ahead of the bi-annual Premier League Asia Cup competition.

Speaking before Ferguson dropped his bombshell, Benitez confirmed he was keen for Heinze to become the first player to head down the East Lancs Road from United to Liverpool since Phil Chisnall in 1964.

'We made the offer and they rejected it. Now the lawyers are working on it,' said the Reds boss.

'We have to wait. We are still trying to push the deal through because he is a good player and a player we like.'

It means United are heading towards the start of the defence of their Premier League title with two transfer wrangles needing to be sorted out.

Ferguson is still hopeful of having Carlos Tevez on board for the season's opening game against Reading on August 12.

ESPNsoccernet

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 9:42pm On Jul 23, 2007
Sunderland have finally been given permission to speak to Wigan defender Leighton Baines. PA Sport understands the Black Cats have been given the go-ahead to open talks with the 22-year-old left-back, although the clubs have yet to agree a fee.

Roy Keane has been chasing the England Under-21 international for several weeks and has seen three bids rejected by the Latics.

However, it appears he will now get his chance to persuade £6million-rated Baines that his future lies at the Stadium of Light.

Keane has so far spent £16million this summer as he tries to build a squad capable not only of surviving in the Premier League, but of doing so with some comfort.

The bulk of the cash has gone on £5.5million winger Kieran Richardson and £5million striker Michael Chopra, with defenders Greg Halford and Russell Anderson and midfielder Dickson Etuhu taking up the remainder.

But the Irishman is keen to strengthen further at the back, where his efforts to land former Celtic team-mate Bobo Balde and Hearts keeper Craig Gordon have so far come to nothing.

Baines has been linked with a series of potential suitors so far this summer, although Sunderland have perhaps been the most persistent.

Wigan boss Chris Hutchings had claimed the Liverpool-born left-back had told him he wanted to stay at the JJB Stadium, but his later admission that every player has his price reopened a window of opportunity for the Wearsiders.

Keane now faces the task of selling his vision to a man who is tipped for a big future in the game, although it remains to be seen whether or not the competition now shows its hand.

Baines' England Under-21 team-mate David Nugent spoke to Sunderland earlier this summer, but the club withdrew its offer after waiting in vain for an answer.

They will hope for a more positive response from the defender with the start of the new season less than three weeks away.

[b]ESPNsoccerne[/b]t

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 9:49pm On Jul 23, 2007
MADRID, July 23 (Reuters) - Real Zaragoza striker Ricardo Oliveira is confident he can rediscover his scoring form on his return to Spain after a disappointing season with Serie A side AC Milan.

'I'll be doing my utmost to score goals and help the team have a great season,' the 27-year-old Brazilian international told a news conference after completing a season-long loan move to the Primera Liga side on Monday.

'I hope next season will be as good as or even better than the campaign I had when I scored 22 goals for Betis,' he said. 'I know it is a bold promise but I've got a lot of confidence in this team.'

The former Valencia and Betis striker joined Milan for 17.0 million euros ($23.5 million) at the start of last season as a replacement for Andriy Shevchenko, but he failed to live up to expectation, scoring just three goals in 26 Serie A appearances for the club.

'It was a difficult year in Italy what with my sister getting kidnapped (in Brazil), but it is different now because I'm in a country where I feel happy and relaxed,' he said.

Oliveira will team up with Argentina striker Diego Milito at Zaragoza who have qualified for next season's UEFA Cup.

The Primera Liga side have an option to sign Oliveira on a four-year deal at the end of the season.

ESPNsoccernet

Re: Latest Football Transfer News by dinozzo(m): 9:57pm On Jul 23, 2007
MILAN, July 22 (Reuters) - Inter Milan coach Roberto Mancini is considering a bid for out-of-favour Real Madrid midfielder Emerson.

The Brazilian, who followed coach Fabio Capello from Juventus to Madrid last year, has been told he does not figure in new Real boss Bernd Schuster's plans following Capello's sacking.

'Great players are always welcome at a team which is already very strong and that can improve,' Mancini told reporters on Sunday at the Serie A champions' pre-season training camp.

'We will see in the coming days but Emerson is a great player, one of the best in the world in his position.'

Asked about a revival of the bid for AS Roma defender Cristian Chivu, Mancini said: 'I don't know, we will see what happens. I honestly don't know.'

Mancini added that the battle for this season's title would be between Inter, AC Milan, Roma and promoted Juventus.

ESPNsoccernet

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (18) (Reply)

Oshoala, Messi, Fati Model Barcelona’s Third Kit Ahead Of New Season / World Cup 2018: Meet The Top 3 Current Highest Goal Scorers (photos) / Atiku, Ben Bruce, DJ Cuppy Congratulate Anthony Joshua For Defeating Andy Ruiz

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 155
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.