Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:48 AM

Nigerians To Seek Government's Approval Before Sinking Borehole - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians To Seek Government's Approval Before Sinking Borehole (1091 Views)

Charles Okah's Daughter Tarila To Wed, Visits Dad In Prison To Seek Blessing / Fulani Awaits Government Approval For Herdsmen Registration / Buhari Is Right To Seek International Assistance To Battle Boko Haram - APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians To Seek Government's Approval Before Sinking Borehole by gbanikiti(m): 12:29am On Jun 18, 2013
Nigerians To Seek Government’s Approval Before Sinking Borehole

The Minister of Water Resources, Sarah Ochekpe, on Monday said Nigerians willing to sink boreholes now need the approval of her ministry before embarking on drilling.

Mrs Ochekpe, who disclosed this to journalists while briefing on the performance of her ministry, explaining that continuous drilling of borehole in Nigeria could affect ground water supply in the future.

She appealed to Nigerians to ensure proper management of water for the interest of all.

The shortage of portable water has left so many Nigerians to look for alternative sources of water supply to meet their daily needs.

While maintaining that government in the last two years had done well especially in the area of rehabilitation and construction of dams, Mrs. Ochekpe added that the provision of potable water is not the responsibility of the federal government alone.

http://m.naij.com/news/37455.html

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/138966-nigerians-cant-have-free-potable-water-minister.html
Re: Nigerians To Seek Government's Approval Before Sinking Borehole by gbanikiti(m): 12:30am On Jun 18, 2013
Smh for Nigerian ministers! Another minister will soon tell us to start paying tax for the air we breathe and the clothes we wear. SMFDH!! angry
Re: Nigerians To Seek Government's Approval Before Sinking Borehole by kelvin1191(m): 1:59am On Jun 18, 2013
So the tax that we are paying to them per-bore-hole is not enough now they want approval. Very soon, they will ask us to get approval before digging well.
Re: Nigerians To Seek Government's Approval Before Sinking Borehole by Acidosis(m): 3:37am On Jun 18, 2013
kelvin1191: So the tax that we are paying to them per-bore-hole is not enough now they want approval. Very soon, they will ask us to get approval before digging well.

You pay tax per-bore-hole ?? which state u dey bros? oh my bad! That must be Lagos state grin

Abeg read next time, don't confuse F.G (minister) with your state matters... grin
Re: Nigerians To Seek Government's Approval Before Sinking Borehole by Acidosis(m): 3:41am On Jun 18, 2013
gbanikiti: Smh for Nigerian ministers! Another minister will soon tell us to start paying tax for the air we breathe and the clothes we wear. SMFDH!! angry

Nigerians and their funny rants..

If Fashola tells you to pay N500 monthly tax for the air you breath... You people will shout "eko o ni baje" "Fashola is working".

The F.G through the responsible Minister is yet to declare anything about tax... And you guys are about shouting "Jonathan"

make una nor kill unaselves ontop F.G matter oo" grin

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Seek Government's Approval Before Sinking Borehole by Acidosis(m): 3:50am On Jun 18, 2013
I don tire for nairaland..

Is it that you people don't read or y'all just criticize anything you see that starts with letter "F" and "J" ?

There is nothing wrong with this speech for crying out loud!

1. Consult the ministry and get an approval before you drill bore-hole for our own good

(The only issue worth criticism here is when and how to implement this act.)

2. Provision of potable water is not the responsibility of the federal government alone.
True & simple as ABC.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Seek Government's Approval Before Sinking Borehole by Pukkah: 3:54am On Jun 18, 2013
The government should not stop at giving approvals to sink boreholes.

It should give approval to anyone that wants to dig a well.

It should also give approvals to anyone that wants to purchase generators (for electricity).

It should give approval to anyone that wants to employ 'maiguards' and securitymen.

It should give approval to anyone that wants to repair community roads and streets.

Afterall, no one should compete with government in the performance of its functions.

How many states in Nigeria can boast of state-wide availability of pipe-borne water after how many years of independence?

Does this Minister think that people excitedly sink boreholes? Why not make it a condition that approvals should be sought only where there is availability of pipe borne water? Or government doesn't want to put any pressure on itself?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Seek Government's Approval Before Sinking Borehole by Pukkah: 3:59am On Jun 18, 2013
Acidosis: I don tire for nairaland..

Is it that you people don't read or y'all just criticize anything you see that starts with letter "F" and "J" ?

1. Consult the ministry and get an approval before you drill bore-hole for our own good

2. Provision of potable water is not the responsibility of the federal government alone.
True & simple as ABC.
On the face of it there's nothing wrong but why can't government be determined to phase-out drilling of boreholes nationwide in the next one or two years by providing pipe-borne water? Why push the suffering to the people, as usual?

As far as the citizens are concerned, they want pipe-borne water whether it's from the state or federal government. Government should wake up.
Re: Nigerians To Seek Government's Approval Before Sinking Borehole by Pukkah: 4:03am On Jun 18, 2013
Acidosis:

You pay tax per-bore-hole ?? which state u dey bros? oh my bad! That must be Lagos state grin

Abeg read next time, don't confuse F.G (minister) with your state matters... grin

How did you arrive at the conclusion of 'that must be Lagos state'?
Re: Nigerians To Seek Government's Approval Before Sinking Borehole by Pukkah: 4:06am On Jun 18, 2013
Acidosis:

Nigerians and their funny rants..

If Fashola tells you to pay N500 monthly tax for the air you breath... You people will shout "eko o ni baje" "Fashola is working".

The F.G through the responsible Minister is yet to declare anything about tax... And you guys are about shouting "Jonathan"

make una nor kill unaselves ontop F.G matter oo" grin

You're guilty of what you're accusing other of.

What concerns Fashola here? You should also not kill yourself 'on top Lagos matter o'.
Re: Nigerians To Seek Government's Approval Before Sinking Borehole by 234GT(m): 4:26am On Jun 18, 2013
You are wrong madam minister. This kind of thing cannot work in a nation where government at all levels have failed to provide potable water foits citizens.
Do you think people are happy sinking boreholes in the first place? You wan add cost of approval to cost of borehole?
Re: Nigerians To Seek Government's Approval Before Sinking Borehole by Acidosis(m): 4:40am On Jun 18, 2013
Pukkah:
On the face of it there's nothing wrong but why can't government be determined to phase-out drilling of boreholes nationwide in the next one or two years by providing pipe-borne water? Why push the suffering to the people, as usual?

As far as the citizens are concerned, they want pipe-borne water whether it's from the state or federal government. Government should wake up.

One or Two years? wow!

Well, even if the government do that for us within a year or two.. Do you think the average Nigerian man can maintain the pipes?

1 or 2 years is like a dream! cos the government at all levels are busy mounting bore-holes presently.

Do you think the working dam we have in Nigeria is enough to serve all Nigerian dwellers? I don't think so..

..so even if government provides efficient and potable pipe-borne water for all... People would not stop drilling bore hole..

Trust some Nigerians, they love to provide their stuffs... some will even tell you, they can't drink such water...not because its dirty or something.

Lets be sincere, how many people drink from this pipe-borne source? I mean the existing ones

It will take a very long time, bro.
Re: Nigerians To Seek Government's Approval Before Sinking Borehole by Acidosis(m): 4:46am On Jun 18, 2013
Pukkah:

cos thats the headquarter of taxation in Nigerian grin
Re: Nigerians To Seek Government's Approval Before Sinking Borehole by Acidosis(m): 4:49am On Jun 18, 2013
234GT: You are wrong madam minister. This kind of thing cannot work in a nation where government at all levels have failed to provide potable water foits citizens.
Do you think people are happy sinking boreholes in the first place? You wan add cost of approval to cost of borehole?

Be sincere.... talk true and shame the devil.. grin
grin

Its not the fault of the people... we've adapted to bad governance sad sad
Re: Nigerians To Seek Government's Approval Before Sinking Borehole by Pukkah: 6:49am On Jun 18, 2013
Acidosis:

One or Two years? wow!

Well, even if the government do that for us within a year or two.. Do you think the average Nigerian man can maintain the pipes?

1 or 2 years is like a dream! cos the government at all levels are busy mounting bore-holes presently.

Do you think the working dam we have in Nigeria is enough to serve all Nigerian dwellers? I don't think so..

..so even if government provides efficient and potable pipe-borne water for all... People would not stop drilling bore hole..

Trust some Nigerians, they love to provide their stuffs... some will even tell you, they can't drink such water...not because its dirty or something.

Lets be sincere, how many people drink from this pipe-borne source? I mean the existing ones

It will take a very long time, bro.

The one or two years is just an example. Let government come out with a plan to provide water for all. Government should task itself. Why can't they devote just a fraction of the efforts they're devoting to Governors' Forum politics to water provision.

I'm surprised to read from you that people won't drink pipe-borne water. Were you around in this country (in terms of age or location) when water flew from taps in many cities? We drank it! There were queues! That was before the advent of sachet water and proliferation of boreholes.

Even now, people drink from the taps where they see them. Fact! I don't think you know so much about Nigeria.

By any standard, a borehole is more expensive than public tap. It's like comparing a generator to public mains. Why should anyone prefer a borehole if clean tap water is available? Haba! You also need to know that borehole water is not automatically fit/safe for drinking.
Re: Nigerians To Seek Government's Approval Before Sinking Borehole by Pukkah: 6:56am On Jun 18, 2013
Acidosis:

cos thats the headquarter of taxation in Nigerian grin

You deride taxation as if there's anything wrong with it.

On one hand, some of you lambast some states as 'parasites', on the other hand you deride the efforts to ramp up IGR. What do you want? Yet you complain about that bad governance?

Tell me, with about 16million residents in Lagos state and the lopsided nature of our federal system, what are the options available to it?
Re: Nigerians To Seek Government's Approval Before Sinking Borehole by gbanikiti(m): 7:14am On Jun 18, 2013
Acidosis: I don tire for nairaland..

True & simple as ABC.
Why should i consult the FG to drill bore hole in my backyard ? For what reason if i may ask? I don't care about portable water from the Government because i can take care of that. The last so -called pipe borne portable water i saw distributed by Government was a total mess! I rather treat my water myself that get infected by a water borne disease. angry
Re: Nigerians To Seek Government's Approval Before Sinking Borehole by gbanikiti(m): 7:22am On Jun 18, 2013
Pukkah:

Don't mind the ignorant Acidosis! Maybe he has forgotten that World Bank pays for water consumption by Nigerians in some states. I know very well of my state Imo. I can tell you that 70 percent of Owerri residents drink public water from the state water supply. I need someone to prove me right! cheesy
Re: Nigerians To Seek Government's Approval Before Sinking Borehole by 3ace(m): 7:54am On Jun 18, 2013
To even imagine the lengthy period it will take to get this unwarranted approval due to the inefficiency of most Minitries is appalling.
Re: Nigerians To Seek Government's Approval Before Sinking Borehole by gbadexy(m): 9:11am On Jun 18, 2013
This acidosis fella is an hypocrite and a pdp apologist.
I wonder why some of you a bothering yourselves discussing with him because his post gives the impression of someone on auto cruise and unwilling to listen to the truth.
This dude is just contradicting himself and also deriding nigerians about being unable to maintain pipes!
I wonder how drilling borehole would affect underground water supply since the borehole would be like dipping a pipe into an underground water channel similar to running a pipe into a river and connecting it to a reservoir.
I was particularly interested in the water system in geography and was amazed that we have a sort of underground river with channels just as we have it on the surface.
This minister now giving this flimsy excuse to seek approval is insulting our collective intelligence. Its akin to saying digging wells which are much more wider and also taps into underground water system would affect water supply when we know wells have been dug about for centuries without any consequence.

(1) (Reply)

Obasanjo To PDP Govs •don’t Go To APC •northern Govs Meet In S/arabia / Alarming:another Islamic Sect Emerges In Niger State(more Deadly Than Boko Haram / Jonathan Is A "Lamb" President Who Lack Ideas -- Femi Fani-kayode.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.