Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,957 members, 7,821,366 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:03 PM

Black American's Making Fun Of Africans? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Black American's Making Fun Of Africans? (7894 Views)

Beware The Children Of Slave Owners!horn Of Africans (ethios,somalis,eris, Djis) / How Horn Of Africans Are Trying To Steal African Culture / Why Do Alot Of Africans, Nigerians Included, Look Down On Black Americans? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Go Down)

Black American's Making Fun Of Africans? by SexxyNaija(f): 9:59pm On May 08, 2008
I just dont understand this. I am nigerian of course but I was born here in the United states. And I from their standards "dont LOOK african!!" I get this all the time, I know you guys know what im talking about. Alot of African Americans try to make fun of my people, until they realize that IM AFRICAN. I just dont understand the logic that many have. Do you guys know what Im talking about??

They dont realize how stupid they sound?
So they werent BORN in AFRICA, but their heritage is there, matter of fact it is the MOTHER LAND OF ALL heritages?

I just dont understand why they look down on Africa?
Re: Black American's Making Fun Of Africans? by TheSly: 10:07pm On May 08, 2008
Well i have seen Africans repudiating African Americans as well. . . . . calling 'em all sorts of names
Even up here on this forum. . . . . . .what goes around comes around.

2 Likes

Re: Black American's Making Fun Of Africans? by kojeiwa(m): 10:15pm On May 08, 2008
It goes both ways. We look down on them just as they look down on us. It's like a taboo for an

African to date an African American let alone marry one. Same goes for them. Except the one that

grew up around African American, vice versa.

1 Like

Re: Black American's Making Fun Of Africans? by tpia: 1:58am On May 09, 2008
kojeiwa:

It goes both ways. We look down on them just as they look down on us. It's like a taboo for an

African to date an African American let alone marry one. Same goes for them. Except the one that

grew up around African American, vice versa.

for where?

na Nigerian them dey marry pass.

1 Like

Re: Black American's Making Fun Of Africans? by tpia: 2:01am On May 09, 2008
SexxyNaija:

I just don't understand this. I am nigerian of course but I was born here in the United states. And I from their standards "don't LOOK african!!" I get this all the time, I know you guys know what im talking about. Alot of African Americans try to make fun of my people, until they realize that IM AFRICAN. I just don't understand the logic that many have. Do you guys know what I'm talking about??

They don't realize how stupid they sound?
So they werent BORN in AFRICA, but their heritage is there, matter of fact it is the MOTHER LAND OF ALL heritages?

I just don't understand why they look down on Africa?

here:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-12180.0.html

1 Like

Re: Black American's Making Fun Of Africans? by lazy(m): 2:42pm On May 09, 2008
SexxyNaija:

I just don't understand this. I am nigerian of course but I was born here in the United states. And I from their standards "don't LOOK african!!" I get this all the time, I know you guys know what im talking about. Alot of African Americans try to make fun of my people, until they realize that IM AFRICAN. I just don't understand the logic that many have. Do you guys know what I'm talking about??

They don't realize how stupid they sound?

I just don't understand why they look down on Africa?

If you born in the States, you should be able to answer that very easily.
Re: Black American's Making Fun Of Africans? by rubi(f): 8:39pm On May 09, 2008
I live in America it depends on where you find yourself and what you are doing in America and how you potray your country when I was in school we were few blacks in the class to be precise Nigerians we always make sure that we make excellent grades in at least to gain respect. In a nutshell if you are a failure they will laugh at you but if you prove to them that you are intelligent they will respect you.

3 Likes

Re: Black American's Making Fun Of Africans? by Nobody: 10:03pm On Sep 16, 2011
The Sly:

Well i have seen Africans repudiating African Americans as well. . . . . calling 'em all sorts of names

cool cool
Re: Black American's Making Fun Of Africans? by MrsChima1(f): 3:21am On Sep 17, 2011
The Sly:

Exactly. They are quick to throw stones but will cry like tricks if the stones are thrown back at them.

You said it best: What goes around comes around. Karma is a mean arse btch.
Re: Black American's Making Fun Of Africans? by Booshman(m): 12:58pm On Sep 17, 2011
It's actually quite foolish for both Black Americans and Black Africans to insult each other. To white Americans, who think "Yoruba" is the name of the sixth moon of Jupiter (Europa), we're both the same to them.
Re: Black American's Making Fun Of Africans? by kony1(m): 6:34am On Sep 18, 2011
Yes it is true. Many black americans do make fun of african but primarily when we were CHILDREN. No grown b.american is going to make fun of africans like that. Whereas grown african men and women judge b.americans off of lil wayne.lol

1 Like

Re: Black American's Making Fun Of Africans? by PhysicsQED(m): 7:10am On Sep 18, 2011
k.o.n.y:

No grown b.american is going to make fun of africans like that.

lol, did I read this right?

I'm going to have to call this bs. I've had multiple personal experiences that disproved this.

And grown African men and women don't know who lil wayne is unless their kids make a point of telling them who he is. Unfortunately, you don't have to watch TV to see black people imitating the mannerisms of people in "gangsta rap"

@ the topic, people make fun of other people in America. Grow thicker skin and get over it. Blacks will make fun of Chinese, Whites will make fun of Chinese, Indians, Hispanics, Blacks, etc., but I'll tell you right now I'd rather be mocked ten times in a row by an ignorant AA than deal with an actual racist from another group even once. Anybody who respects themselves enough can brush off mockery, but actual racism is much more annoying.

1 Like

Re: Black American's Making Fun Of Africans? by kony1(m): 6:00am On Sep 19, 2011
When i said "grown" i meant africans from age 20-30 ish. And yes they do know who lil wayne is. And would you care to share your so called experiences
Re: Black American's Making Fun Of Africans? by dlimelite: 9:17pm On Sep 21, 2011
Well I have seen Africans repudiating African Americans as well. . . . . calling 'em all sorts of names

Well I've seen Jaimacans like Mz. Darkskin AKA Xaimacana on Youtube insultin Africans esp NIGERIANS callin em all sorts of names.   grin grin cool 2FACED TROLL.
Re: Black American's Making Fun Of Africans? by tpia5: 10:41pm On Sep 21, 2011
Happens all the time @ topic.

The africans who join them to gang up against their fellow africans, are so exceedingly s.tupid they dont even deserve a mention.

lets not forget AA is a general term for all non-african blacks, in this context.
Re: Black American's Making Fun Of Africans? by PhysicsQED(m): 2:50am On Sep 23, 2011
k.o.n.y:

When i said "grown" i meant africans from age 20-30 ish. And yes they do know who lil wayne is. And would you care to share your so called experiences

lol, Africans from age 20-30ish in America aren't the ones that think that all black Americans act like lil wayne. That's Africans 50+ who grew up in Africa at a time when there was virtually no social deviancy or ghetto behavior where they grew up. They are repulsed by anything even remotely ghetto, but I don't think Africans 20-30 in America are or that they claim all AAs act like lil wayne or like rappers. Maybe that's just your experience, but maybe you've only been around a certain group or you're getting this stuff from internet commentators. I've run into more Africans 20-30ish in America imitating lil wayne than I have claiming all black Americans act like lil wayne or like rappers, so I'm not sure I agree with this. I know Africans 20-30ish that are dating African Americans, and I don't fully accept your statement.

As for my experiences, as a kid my family was invited to a church service by one of my mother's friends from work.

At this church,an African American pastor, who had to have been at least in his 50s, made it a point, in a part of his sermon where he was criticizing intellectuals and atheists that reject Jesus, to make fun of what he called "back to Africa people" that reject Christianity. To drive his point home, he said that said that they should actually go back to Africa and go fight lions and cheetahs with the natives while being bitten by mosquitoes and see if they won't be calling for Jesus after that. That drew a lot of laughs. Africans have a good sense of humor though. My parents, who are Christian, also laughed. When I asked them in the car if they knew anyone who had ever hunted any lions, they laughed and said no.

This was in Houston when I was 12. (My family doesn't live in Houston anymore, but if I went back there, I could describe the church)

I also remember my 7th grade gym coach, a grown African American man (Coach Warren) calling a Ghanian kid in our class (Kofi), "King Coffee" "Prince Coffee" and mocking his "black African darkness" (he always stressed the word "African" for comedic effect). This was a grown man! 

I see why people found that funny, but it's pretty bad to see a kid being mocked by a grown man.

But I have had positive experiences with African Americans with regard to Africa as well, so I'm not making any conclusions based on a few bad experiences.

1 Like

Re: Black American's Making Fun Of Africans? by Kazeem101: 7:44am On Sep 23, 2011
LOL, why are you bothered about what "African Americans" think of you? They have it in for everybody thanks to that slave mentality of there's. I pity the the person that refers to themselves as "African" when they can't even point out where in Africa they come from.

I lived in America for a years and made a point to stay away from AA's. You have to understand that most of them come from irresponsible homes. No father figure to show the difference between right and wrong. That's why instead of being in school learning, they're out gangbanging and causing mischief.We have very little in common so what's the point. If they want to speak with me, fine. If not, who cares?

Just stick to your education and be a responsible person. Don't lower yourself to their standards!  grin

1 Like

Re: Black American's Making Fun Of Africans? by Booshman(m): 1:55pm On Sep 23, 2011
Kazeem101:

LOL, why are you bothered about what "African Americans" think of you? They have it in for everybody thanks to that slave mentality of there's. I pity the the person that refers to themselves as "African" when they can't even point out where in Africa they come from.

I lived in America for a years and made a point to stay away from AA's. You have to understand that most of them come from irresponsible homes. No father figure to show the difference between right and wrong. That's why instead of being in school learning, they're out gangbanging and causing mischief.We have very little in common so what's the point. If they want to speak with me, fine. If not, who cares?

Just stick to your education and be a responsible person. Don't lower yourself to their standards!  grin

Most come from irresponsible homes, but I could just point out that you came from an irresponsible country. You also make Nigerians, who are generally good and humble people, look very arrogant and pompous. Get off your high horse please.

1 Like

Re: Black American's Making Fun Of Africans? by Rossikk(m): 9:51pm On Sep 25, 2011
Imagine you were an Afro-American whose only exposure to Nigeria/Africa was what you'd seen on US television all your life.

Do you realise you'd be hard pressed to accept any African as a reasonable, intelligent human being?

Tell me, have you ever seen a well-built house in Africa shown on CBS News?

NBC News?

ABC News?

No. No. No.

Let alone banks, freeways, factories, airports, universities, or skyscrapers.

We all know Africa is filled with these things.

But the world in general doesn't know that.

It's a western policy of dehumanization of the black, by dehumanizing his homeland, using their media and education.

So you cannot blame an African-American, or any foreigner to Africa, who dismisses Africans with a wave of the hand.

They don't know the Africa that YOU know.

1 Like

Re: Black American's Making Fun Of Africans? by kony1(m): 12:50am On Sep 26, 2011
The thing is at least black americans make an attempt to learn about africa. Most pan africans have been american or caribbean. Despite the negative image africa has in the media, black americans make it a point to point out how beautiful africa is, how they were kings,queens and great civilizations there,ancient egypt etc.

What has africans done but judge us for lazines, off lil wayne and women shaking their @ss in videos lol
Re: Black American's Making Fun Of Africans? by saiyaman: 2:49am On Sep 26, 2011
k.o.n.y:

The thing is at least black americans make an attempt to learn about africa. Most pan africans have been american or caribbean. Despite the negative image africa has in the media, black americans make it a point to point out how beautiful africa is, how they were kings,queens and great civilizations there,ancient egypt etc.

What has africans done but judge us for lazines, off lil wayne and women shaking their @ss in videos lol

Some have, and really its more like a couple of AA learn about Africa today,
Ignorance is on both sides of the Atlantic, problem is that you are too dumb to solve the problem Kony and instead add fuel to the flame grin
Re: Black American's Making Fun Of Africans? by kony1(m): 9:35am On Sep 26, 2011
show me examples where africans embraced americans. Besides ghana and liberia
Re: Black American's Making Fun Of Africans? by saiyaman: 1:11pm On Sep 26, 2011
k.o.n.y:

If you have to exclude then you know you can't admit the truth tongue
Beside the University folk in the 60s and Marcus Garvey at the turn of the 20th century, there was no mass outreach between the two groups period. But since we all owe the air we breath to Black Americans you'll deny this fact too grin
Re: Black American's Making Fun Of Africans? by kony1(m): 4:32pm On Sep 26, 2011
saiyaman:

. But since we all owe the air we breath to Black Americans you'll deny this fact too grin

i dont think you africans owe us anything. Im just saying, africans focus way to much on the negative when it comes to black america. Motherland this,egypt that, kings and queens, the original people etc. All of this is beaten into our heads by other black americans. Africans have nowhere near that level of respect for B.A's. Thus they're not in any position to talk
Re: Black American's Making Fun Of Africans? by tpia5: 8:39pm On Sep 26, 2011
k.o.n.y:

you do know africans were enslaved in other places besides america?

brazilians returned centuries ago and have since integrated with the local populace.

besides, nigeria itself had a huge segment of its freed slave population resettled within nigeria after the abolition, so kindly allow us to sort out our own problems like we're still trying to do now.
Re: Black American's Making Fun Of Africans? by tpia5: 8:41pm On Sep 26, 2011
k.o.n.y:

Im just saying, africans focus way to much on the negative when it comes to black america.  Africans have nowhere near that level of respect for B.A's. Thus they're not in any position to talk

from where i stand, AAs [including carribeans] are the ones who go out of their way to attack and deride africans.

the only time they dont make this a habit is when they want something from you [eg a date or whatever].

lets stop lying to ourselves plz.

we all know how it is.
Re: Black American's Making Fun Of Africans? by tpia5: 10:03pm On Sep 26, 2011
Anyway, africans themselves are no better when it comes to interpersonal relations, so who cares, really.

To each his own.

None of it extends beyond the grave.
Re: Black American's Making Fun Of Africans? by saiyaman: 10:15pm On Sep 26, 2011
k.o.n.y:

i dont think you africans owe us anything. Im just saying, africans focus way to much on the negative when it comes to black america. Motherland this,egypt that, kings and queens, the original people etc. All of this is beaten into our heads by other black americans. Africans have nowhere near that level of respect for B.A's. Thus they're not in any position to talk

You who? Owe Us? Africans don't owe me anything, but the way you hang on this site you seem to be expecting something  cry. Poor guy  grin What a load of crap, what is beaten into anyone's head, you must be old as hell because none of this is talked about in American schools, at least not around my parts. Now I know you are full of it. And if Africans don't care for Blacks why do you care? Hell Black treat blacks like crap in inner cities every day, why are you concerned about people thousands of miles across the ocean? God you are a sad pathetic creature. Basing how he gets up in the morning on how someone else feels. If an African person doesn't like me, I get over it and move on to the one that does, same for Blacks/whites/asians/and etc.

I think you owe your mom a slap for allowing you to remain so silly and bitter, a poor reflection on her parenting skills.
Re: Black American's Making Fun Of Africans? by awesomedol: 10:20pm On Sep 26, 2011
Lord, does such mentality still exist How low!!! focus on your ignorance and leave the Africans to their negativity it is not your business and why are u on an African site anyway?perhaps u want some of our negativity,
Re: Black American's Making Fun Of Africans? by tpia5: 1:03am On Sep 27, 2011
btw @ kony

africa is made up of different countries.

which nationality in particular do you mean.
Re: Black American's Making Fun Of Africans? by kony1(m): 6:56am On Sep 27, 2011
saiyaman:

You who? Owe Us? Africans don't owe me anything, but the way you hang on this site you seem to be expecting something  cry. Poor guy  grin What a load of crap, what is beaten into anyone's head, you must be old as hell because none of this is talked about in American schools, at least not around my parts. Now I know you are full of it. And if Africans don't care for Blacks why do you care? Hell Black treat blacks like crap in inner cities every day, why are you concerned about people thousands of miles across the ocean? God you are a sad pathetic creature. Basing how he gets up in the morning on how someone else feels. If an African person doesn't like me, I get over it and move on to the one that does, same for Blacks/whites/asians/and etc.

I think you owe your mom a slap for allowing you to remain so silly and bitter, a poor reflection on her parenting skills.

Number 1-keep my family out of this

number 2- you as in you and other africans. You are not black american. The daughter of immigrants maybe. But not a black american

@tpiah i meant west africa. Its kind of funny that americans get ridiculed for not connecting with africa and for being ignorant of africa. When in reality americans make much more of an attempt to connect with them than vice versa
Re: Black American's Making Fun Of Africans? by saiyaman: 2:11pm On Sep 27, 2011
k.o.n.y:

Number 1-keep my family out of this

number 2- you as in you and other africans. You are not black american. The daughter of immigrants maybe. But not a black american

@tpiah i meant west africa. Its kind of funny that americans get ridiculed for not connecting with africa and for being ignorant of africa. When in reality americans make much more of an attempt to connect with them than vice versa

Number one: Who are you to dictate sh1t to me? As far as I'm concern your behavior points to how you were brought up, so yes your parents are at fault.
Number two: Its highly suspicious of how anyone that disagrees with you cant be black. Like I have told you I dont need to prove my nationality to you, because quite frankly you are a loser with a crappy excuse for a mother who reared you, no wonder you roam this forum looking for love.

(1) (2)

Is LAWAL A Yoruba Name / A Friend Of Mine Wants An Igbo Name / PHOTOS: South Africans Go Nude To Celebrate Africa Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.