Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,666 members, 7,955,405 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 04:13 AM

Why Do Alot Of Africans, Nigerians Included, Look Down On Black Americans? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Alot Of Africans, Nigerians Included, Look Down On Black Americans? (9290 Views)

Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America / Beware The Children Of Slave Owners!horn Of Africans (ethios,somalis,eris, Djis) / How Horn Of Africans Are Trying To Steal African Culture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Alot Of Africans, Nigerians Included, Look Down On Black Americans? by gangstaboo(f): 8:16am On Apr 29, 2010
-scratches head-
The question doesn't apply to all Nigerians or to all Africans of course, but from my own personal experience, this tends to be the case. I have ALWAYS wanted to ask this question though. I attend a University with alot of Nigerians and am friends with some but I have seen this attitude towards Blacks.

I asked someone from Nairaland this question before but that was just one opinion. I want to hear others opinions'.

I ask this question because from my experience Africans tend to look down on us Black Americans for a variety of reasons. For example, because we have been here for generations, they may believe we are not taking advantage of America's resources, or some think we are 'ghetto', 'unintelligent' and only appreciate rap, money, bling shyt' like that. Also, someone told me that when alot of Africans first come to America it is the black people who treat them the worse because of accents, or the way they dress, or the way they talk etc. Therefore, the Africans recipricate those feelings and dislike AA's after that.

Any thoughts?
Re: Why Do Alot Of Africans, Nigerians Included, Look Down On Black Americans? by gangstaboo(f): 8:24am On Apr 29, 2010
Or am I wrong? And my own perceptions are blinding me lol. tongue
Re: Why Do Alot Of Africans, Nigerians Included, Look Down On Black Americans? by hauler: 3:27pm On Apr 29, 2010
The feeling is mutual innit?
Re: Why Do Alot Of Africans, Nigerians Included, Look Down On Black Americans? by ChinenyeN(m): 3:36pm On Apr 29, 2010
It is an "action-reaction" relationship. Africans came to America with a certain mental archetype in their head. Blacks generally don't seem to live up to that, which raises questions in the heads of African (i.e. Why don't they take advantage of this country's resources?). This in turn affects how Africans finally come to associate with, and think of Blacks (and Whites -- think 'Colonial Mentality'). Blacks didn't seem to care at first, because immediately they find out that an individual is from Africa, they begin acting on what I call the "backward jungle stereotype". This agitates Africans much more than Blacks seem to realize, eventually causing the general outlook of Africans on Blacks to worsen.

My Honest Opinion.
Re: Why Do Alot Of Africans, Nigerians Included, Look Down On Black Americans? by gangstaboo(f): 9:58pm On May 02, 2010
I don't think the feeling is mutual! Again I don't want to categorize either Africans or AA's.

I see ChinenyeN, and that makes sense. I just wish we could all love each other and appreciate both cultures lol grin grin
Re: Why Do Alot Of Africans, Nigerians Included, Look Down On Black Americans? by sjeezy8: 11:18pm On May 02, 2010
hmmmmmm I dont know why Africans are really dumb tho they look down on eachother also. . . . So Americans shouldnt feel somehow.

I think its all dumb-
Re: Why Do Alot Of Africans, Nigerians Included, Look Down On Black Americans? by lallafati1: 3:46pm On May 03, 2010
@Poster,

Yes it is definitely the case. Not saying it's right coz its not, but it is somewhat reciprocal. A lot of africans who come here come for a purpose, they have college degrees (or intend to achieve that), they work, they seek to further their career, and in general as a community they "look" more responsible than AA. A lof of times they dont understand why AA in general (that's stereotypical as well) don't take advantages of all the opportunities of being able to go to college, have a career, and all that, and stay caught up in the bb mama drama, the in-out of prison for young AA males, all the bling bling from gold chains to rims to multicolor inch-long acrylic nails, and a lot of times "appear" satisfied when basic needs are satisfied, "look" contempt with entry level jobs and all that. Not everybody fits the stereotype and vice-versa. Some AA think of africans as "stupid" because of the accent, and a lot of other things. But like I said those are stereotypes. Not everybody is like that on either side. Not all africans have a accent, plus having a accent is really not anything to be ashamed of. Some africans do some of the same things mentioned above and a lot of AA are ambitious, driven and successful ppl professionally, financially and socially. I think the main thing is that as a community, black ppl whether from africa, america or other places need to up their games to cease being that position of inferiority which we have been, esp in the western world. It can't be just words, it has to be hardwork, perseverance and integrity.
Plus past the front that we all try to put on, we human beings regardless of the culture and skin color, are all so similar inside and generally strive for the same things,
I wish you good luck in ur college career and everything else!!!
Re: Why Do Alot Of Africans, Nigerians Included, Look Down On Black Americans? by gangstaboo(f): 11:17pm On May 03, 2010
lol @ sjeezy it is all dumb, I agree grin grin

@lallafati1

Mhmmm i agree, I think there are just stereotypes on both sides that have permeated through as fact, when none of the stereotypes can be applied to either Africans or AA's!! I hate when either side looks down on the other , it's stupid. life is too short for hate lol

Ty for the well wishes!!! Good luck to you in life as well cool cool cool
Re: Why Do Alot Of Africans, Nigerians Included, Look Down On Black Americans? by Sissy3(f): 2:03am On May 05, 2010
OP

you will get more lots of answers if you try the 'search engine'
Re: Why Do Alot Of Africans, Nigerians Included, Look Down On Black Americans? by dayokanu(m): 3:53pm On May 05, 2010
Gangstaboo,

Are the responses different from mine?
Re: Why Do Alot Of Africans, Nigerians Included, Look Down On Black Americans? by gangstaboo(f): 8:14pm On May 05, 2010
@Sissy,

Not sure how to search i will try it though , thanks for the advice.

Dayokanu ,

Hm I would say not really, but I like hearing a variety of responses, that's why I asked here.
Re: Why Do Alot Of Africans, Nigerians Included, Look Down On Black Americans? by queeneve: 6:41am On May 07, 2010
Well, I have a lot of African friends from every corner of Africa. I learned just because a person is from Africa
does not mean that they all share the same culture. The same for Black Americans. Many black Americans
feel that they are African in every sense of the way. Because of the DIS-TRIBALIZATION if you will, many
Black Americans do not know what tribe or African country they originated from. Many Black Americans look
at Africans as role model believe it or not. It interesting how SOME Africans feel that Black Americans do not
take advantage of the available resources.

South Africa went through the same thing that Black Americans went through during the 50's and 60's the
displacement of social status therefore strip the Black Americans the right to equal education, housing, health care, and employment. The media is responsible for how they pit Black Americans against Africans and vice versa. I always tell people believe LESS WHAT YOU HEAR OR READ and more what YOU SEE OR EXPERIENCE. The experience is the most accurate indication of an event, a person, and an idea.

There are a lot of Black Americans, who are successful, educated, and hold prominent careers. The media is not favorable of Black Americans in America. The marketing strategy and subliminal manipulation is to place Black Americans in a different specimen level as if they are lab rats. I have a friend who is from Kenya and she always say why do blacks complain all the time. They have it made and complaining. I asked did she study Black History when she was in Kenyan University? She replied No. I simply said of course, you didn't. Black America History is not readily available to the mass population.

Black Americans have be conditioned to believe that Africans are murderers, HIV-Positive laden, kidnappers, women beaters, child rapists, uneducated, poor, cult worshippers, and lazy people. However, many of Black Americans do not believe that and actually embrace Africans with understanding that we have to fight against Media manipulation. Unfortunately, there are a lot of Black Americans and White Americans who believe Africans are demonic people with machetes. The movies and Media does not paint Africa in the light it needed to be. It sad and horrific.

Every time I hear stereotypical comments from a person who either African or foreigner, I always say be careful what you are saying because someone's else thinking you are the same way. I also add, "Put yourself in the person's shoes, how would you feel if you are the person being stereotyped based on the color of your skin or where you come from?" It works all the time.

Stereotype of another culture, race, creed, gender, social status, and education level is wrong and often misleading.

Think about it, Hope that helps!
Re: Why Do Alot Of Africans, Nigerians Included, Look Down On Black Americans? by Abagworo(m): 9:15am On May 07, 2010
United we stand,divided we fall.I'm inlove with you queeneve.can I get your number?
Re: Why Do Alot Of Africans, Nigerians Included, Look Down On Black Americans? by queeneve: 1:46pm On May 07, 2010
^^^^^Don't think my baby would like that. (I am engaged) Smile. I think Ayetty's available.
Re: Why Do Alot Of Africans, Nigerians Included, Look Down On Black Americans? by madlady(f): 8:27am On May 14, 2010
queeneve:

Well, I have a lot of African friends from every corner of Africa. I learned just because a person is from Africa
does not mean that they all share the same culture. The same for Black Americans. Many black Americans
feel that they are African in every sense of the way. Because of the DIS-TRIBALIZATION if you will, many
Black Americans do not know what tribe or African country they originated from. Many Black Americans look
at Africans as role model believe it or not. It interesting how SOME Africans feel that Black Americans do not
take advantage of the available resources.

South Africa went through the same thing that Black Americans went through during the 50's and 60's the
displacement of social status therefore strip the Black Americans the right to equal education, housing, health care, and employment. The media is responsible for how they pit Black Americans against Africans and vice versa. I always tell people believe LESS WHAT YOU HEAR OR READ and more what YOU SEE OR EXPERIENCE. The experience is the most accurate indication of an event, a person, and an idea.

There are a lot of Black Americans, who are successful, educated, and hold prominent careers. The media is not favorable of Black Americans in America. The marketing strategy and subliminal manipulation is to place Black Americans in a different specimen level as if they are lab rats. I have a friend who is from Kenya and she always say why do blacks complain all the time. They have it made and complaining. I asked did she study Black History when she was in Kenyan University? She replied No. I simply said of course, you didn't. Black America History is not readily available to the mass population.

Black Americans have be conditioned to believe that Africans are murderers, HIV-Positive laden, kidnappers, women beaters, child rapists, uneducated, poor, cult worshippers, and lazy people. However, many of Black Americans do not believe that and actually embrace Africans with understanding that we have to fight against Media manipulation. Unfortunately, there are a lot of Black Americans and White Americans who believe Africans are demonic people with machetes. The movies and Media does not paint Africa in the light it needed to be. It sad and horrific.

Every time I hear stereotypical comments from a person who either African or foreigner, I always say be careful what you are saying because someone's else thinking you are the same way. I also add, "Put yourself in the person's shoes, how would you feel if you are the person being stereotyped based on the color of your skin or where you come from?" It works all the time.

Stereotype of another culture, race, creed, gender, social status, and education level is wrong and often misleading.

Think about it, Hope that helps!

I really like your write-up. smiley
Re: Why Do Alot Of Africans, Nigerians Included, Look Down On Black Americans? by queeneve: 7:34pm On May 14, 2010
thanks suga!
Re: Why Do Alot Of Africans, Nigerians Included, Look Down On Black Americans? by marabout(m): 11:44pm On Dec 20, 2010
@Poster

The attitude of some of your AA people can be horrible. Even here in Europe.
My encounter with your blackmen is absolute zero to write about.
Years back there was this AA exchange student. He looked privileged. Perhaps he didn't expect to see an African in a so-called elite (ivy league) uni. African have been going through that uni for some 140 years.
He used every opportunity to show his hatred. He even burst out laughing at a presentation I was giving (possibly because of my accent) to the embarassment of the white American girl sitting next to him. He did not even clap like others after the presentation. The white American girl went on to ask me a few questions after the presentation.
While doing a menial job years back to support myself at Uni, myself and one  MSc student (a Nigerian fellow worker of mine) had this AA boy who vomitted all manner of excreta over a simple matter we tried to explain to him, and boasted about how hopeless we were and how he was a banker in New York. He knew nothing about us at all.
In continental Europe years back, I witnessed first hand how AA GIs would start telling white girls hanging out with black africans in night clubs that Africans come from the jungle. Of course fight broke out.  There was even a reported case of death (stabbing) for that reason.
There is an AA boy working now where I work. He never says hello or answer when you greet him. POSTER your people have a problem. If they keep going on about slave trade, they will remain mental slaves forever.  I live in Europe now and if I were to go to US, I don't intend making friends with AAs UNLESS it turns out that only the dregs among them come to Europe. Chikena.
Re: Why Do Alot Of Africans, Nigerians Included, Look Down On Black Americans? by revomind(m): 3:26am On Dec 21, 2010
Poster, have you listened to 'Girls Girls Girls' by Jay Z? Well 9 years on and I still don't understand that line about his African chick, Miss FooFoo (what a name) being bald and being stark naked when he met her. I think that line was just plain disrespectful , Personally, I don't care much about people who generally look down on me and my kind.
Re: Why Do Alot Of Africans, Nigerians Included, Look Down On Black Americans? by jamaicangi(f): 6:20am On Dec 21, 2010
I don't understand why people stereotype a whole group of people based on the worse representatives. I am neither African nor African American and I can say that there are good and bad in both of those groups. There are educated, good people from both sides and there are scammers, thugs and drug addicts from both sides. It makes no sense that people think that "all" X people are the same. Aren't there good and bad people in every group??

Also, you cannot compare apples and oranges. Compare both people in their native environments or on similar grounds- do not compare an immigrant (who is often either middle or upper class) to a native (who can be of any class).

Can't we all just get to know each other and learn from each other and get along?

(1) (Reply)

Who Are The Illushi People? / The Yoruba-edo (or Edo-yoruba) Relationship / 2017 National Festival Of Arts And Culture (Live Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.