Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,688 members, 7,955,590 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 09:56 AM

The Politics Of Disease Awareness Creation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Politics Of Disease Awareness Creation (595 Views)

The Center Of Disease Control,CDC Says Ebola Vaccine Only Works On White People / The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame / *~ Katsumoto Voted The Politics Section Poster Of 2012 *~ Congratulations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Politics Of Disease Awareness Creation by Abali1(m): 7:35am On Jun 20, 2013
Many people will be wondering what this topic is all about, and who plays politics with different health conditions. Some will even go as far as thinking the OP is high on some cheap stuff. What am blabbing about.
How many people knew that yesterday was the day set aside to celebrate The World Sickle Cell Day? I guess only very few. How come our newspapers and other media news did not carry the news (is it even a news?). My guess is that very few really know what this disease is all about, and how important it is to create awareness for it.
Yeah, many have heard about that neighbours kid who died of Sickle Cell complications, or that classmate who is always in and out of hospital ward, and it is being rumoured that s/he is a SS. Eyah, so that beautiful girl or handsome dude is SS?
Some have even gone as far as breaking up with that lovely relationship, because Daddy or Mummy wouldn't want to hear that they have anything to do with a SS. You hear something like; "Are you mad, what sort of a person gets involved with a girl or a boy whom you very well know that can drop dead any moment?"

What is the POLITICS OF DISEASE AWARENESS CREATION?
Stay tuned.

1 Like

Re: The Politics Of Disease Awareness Creation by youthmustwork: 7:40am On Jun 20, 2013
youth must work

I done talk my own

First to show face
Re: The Politics Of Disease Awareness Creation by Abali1(m): 8:10am On Jun 20, 2013
World Cancer Day annual observance held on February 4 that is intended to increase global awareness of cancer .
World Cancer Day originated in 2000 at the first World Summit Against Cancer, which was held in Paris.
At this meeting, leaders of government agencies and cancer organizations from around the world signed the Charter of Paris Against Cancer, a document containing 10 articles that outlined a cooperative global commitment to improving the quality of life of cancer patients and to the continued investment in and advancement of cancer research, prevention, and treatment. Article X of the charter formally declared February 4 as World Cancer.
Re: The Politics Of Disease Awareness Creation by Abali1(m): 8:16am On Jun 20, 2013
World AIDS Day , observed on 1 December every year, is dedicated to raising awareness of the AIDS pandemic caused by the spread of HIV infection. Government and health officials observe the day, often with speeches or forums on the AIDS topics.
Since 1995, the President of the United States has made an official proclamation on World AIDS Day. Governments of other nations have followed suit and issued similar announcements.
Re: The Politics Of Disease Awareness Creation by kkkp: 8:39am On Jun 20, 2013
To siphon funds grin grin
Re: The Politics Of Disease Awareness Creation by Abali1(m): 9:26am On Jun 20, 2013
kkkp: To siphon funds grin grin
have patience, I will soon get there.
Re: The Politics Of Disease Awareness Creation by Abali1(m): 10:00am On Jun 20, 2013
World Cancer Day originated in 2000 at the first World Summit Against Cancer, which was held in Paris. At this meeting, leaders of government agencies and cancer organizations from around the world signed the Charter of Paris Against Cancer.
#####################################
Since 1995, the President of the United States has made an official proclamation on World AIDS Day. Governments of other nations have followed suit and issued similar announcements.
#######$$$$$$$$#########$$$$$$$$$$$$#######
Notice the years of comencement of awareness and the people involved in the initial Global Awareness Creeation. It is very important to the topic of this thread.
Re: The Politics Of Disease Awareness Creation by Abali1(m): 10:11am On Jun 20, 2013
World Sickle Cell Day is celebrated in June, is actually on June 19th of each month, is recognized globally and was created by the United Nations by resolution.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Sixty-third session
Agenda item 155
Recognition of sickle-cell anaemia as a public health priority Angola, Austria, Belgium, Benin, Brazil, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Comoros, Congo, Côte d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, France, Gabon, Ghana, Monaco, Senegal, Togo and Zambia: draft resolution Recognition of sickle-cell anaemia as a public health problem.
Recognizing the need to promote better physical and mental health, bearing in mind the Universal Declaration of Human Rights1 and other relevant human rights instruments, Welcoming World Health Assembly resolution WHA59.20 of 27 May 2006 and resolution 33 C/22 of the General Conference of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization of 19 October 2005, and taking note of decision AU/Dec.81 (V) adopted by the Assembly of the African Union at its fifth ordinary session, held in Sirte, Libyan Arab Jamahiriya on 5 July 2005,
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1 Like

Re: The Politics Of Disease Awareness Creation by Abali1(m): 10:17am On Jun 20, 2013
Please take notice of the countries who have to move the resolution for the Recognition of Sickle Cell Disease as a public health priority to the UN.
I will soon continue.

1 Like

Re: The Politics Of Disease Awareness Creation by Abali2013: 12:59pm On Jun 20, 2013
I have been banned by the Anti-Spam bot.
Re: The Politics Of Disease Awareness Creation by Abali2013: 1:02pm On Jun 20, 2013
Recognizing that education, information and communication technologies should play a crucial role in preventing sickle-cell anaemia and that there is an urgent need to create effective research and training programmes in the countries most affected by this disease,

you can visit
worldsicklecellday.m.webs.com/
Re: The Politics Of Disease Awareness Creation by Abali2013: 1:14pm On Jun 20, 2013
After skimming through the write up above, do we still wonder why Sickle Cell disease is still spoken in hush hush? Why can't African Government (say what you like, sickle cell affects people of African dissent more than any other race or continent) make noise about these dreaded disease?
Must the West do everything for us? You may even think that the so called leaders are immune to such things as Sickle Cell.
Sickle cell disease is not contagious, rather it is an inherited blood disorder.
Re: The Politics Of Disease Awareness Creation by Abali2013: 1:47pm On Jun 20, 2013
How many stories have we heard of people who initially thought they were AA and are free to marry anybody, end up discovering that they and their partner are indeed both AS. In such a situation what will you then suggest?
Divorce?
Adoption?
Or just the good old prayer?
In Jay Z's voice, "HOPING FOR THE BEST BUT EXPECTING THE WORSE"
Re: The Politics Of Disease Awareness Creation by Abali2013: 1:59pm On Jun 20, 2013
Hey you AA out there, do you still feel confident that you can never have a SS child?
Ok. Let's say you are truely from such complications and your family is also free from such. What about your bosom friend? What about your neighbour? church member? your colleague in the office? Are you sure they are also free.
Do you really think that there is nothing you can do for people living with SS?
Are you sure it is none of your business?
IT IS TIME TO BREAK THE SILENCE. IT IS TIME TO LEND YOUR VOICE TO THIS AWARENESS CAMPAIGN.
Re: The Politics Of Disease Awareness Creation by Abali2013: 2:07pm On Jun 20, 2013
BREAK THE SILENCE. Am talking to you, the person viewing this thread. That MOD, DOCTOR, LAWYER, BUSINESS MAN, POLITICIAN, PASTOR, REV. FATHER, REV, SISTER, STUDENT, etc.
IT IS TIME TO TALK ABOUT SICKLE CELL DISEASE. We may not be able to completely eradicate it. But we can reduce the number of babies being born with it every year.
It is not fault of the Warriors that they are living with sickle cell disease, rather if there parents had been educated in how genotype paring can bring about un-imaginable PAIN, TRAUMA AND STIGMA on that child. Maybe, they would have reconsidered their choices.
BREAK THE SILENCE.

Re: The Politics Of Disease Awareness Creation by Abali2013: 2:28pm On Jun 20, 2013
People are quick to jump into the band-wagon of NGO for Cancer Awareness, NGO for HIV/AIDS Awareness campaign.
WHY?
I think the answer is not far fetched. Fund Raising. Money. The Global community will give an arm and a leg to fund researches into drugs that will eradicate these terminal illness.
Why?
Because it affects people of colour and races. It affects the King and the lowly peasant.
How Many Sickle Cell NGO's have you heard of, not to talk of seen? Even the Herbal remedies that has been discovered by African Herbal Scientists, how many have gone through their clinical trials?
IT IS TIME TO BREAK THE SILENT ABOUT SICKLE CELL DISEASE.
Re: The Politics Of Disease Awareness Creation by Abali2013: 2:29pm On Jun 20, 2013

Re: The Politics Of Disease Awareness Creation by Abali2013: 4:24pm On Jun 20, 2013
Breaking The Silence

Re: The Politics Of Disease Awareness Creation by Abali2013: 5:15pm On Jun 20, 2013
world sickle cell day do your part to spread the word
# WSCD2013
Re: The Politics Of Disease Awareness Creation by Abali2013: 5:18pm On Jun 20, 2013
I don't care about what you think you know about family medical history. Get your blood tested before having babies!
# WSCD2013
Re: The Politics Of Disease Awareness Creation by Abali2013: 5:23pm On Jun 20, 2013
Having sickle isn't easy at all it's a everyday struggle trying to avoid a crisis
#WSCD2013
Re: The Politics Of Disease Awareness Creation by Abali2013: 5:25pm On Jun 20, 2013
I pray after today, Natl. Sickle Cell Awareness Day, that more ppl become sympathetic, empathetic, & supporters of SC.
# WSCD2013
Re: The Politics Of Disease Awareness Creation by Abali2013: 5:29pm On Jun 20, 2013
Facts is as serious as Cancer and Leukemia ... Spread the word. Time for change.
Re: The Politics Of Disease Awareness Creation by Abali2013: 5:32pm On Jun 20, 2013
@sickleSTRONG I've been sickle cell strong going on 20 years everyday is a challenge for me but I'm not letting it stop me from my future!!!
Re: The Politics Of Disease Awareness Creation by Abali2013: 5:34pm On Jun 20, 2013
#wscd2013 ..to my daughter who shows amazing strength and courage in conquering sicklecell... she embodies sickle strong @ sickleSTRONG
Re: The Politics Of Disease Awareness Creation by Abali2013: 5:38pm On Jun 20, 2013
Knowing your genotype is nothing to be afraid of,it empowers u. Ignorance costs,get tested 2day! Its all about.
Re: The Politics Of Disease Awareness Creation by Abali2013: 5:40pm On Jun 20, 2013
Know a loved one living with it? Treat them with utmost love..treat them right #SickleCellAwareness #
Re: The Politics Of Disease Awareness Creation by Abali2013: 5:41pm On Jun 20, 2013
You know your boos birthday but not his/her genotype? God Is Watching you. #WorldSickleCellAwarenessDay
Re: The Politics Of Disease Awareness Creation by Abali2013: 7:15pm On Jun 20, 2013
It can be frustrating when friends & family fail to realize the stress of living with SCD. #TeamSickleCell
Re: The Politics Of Disease Awareness Creation by Abali2013: 7:18pm On Jun 20, 2013
Pay attention: some of those same folks espousing wisdom and claiming God, couldn’t care less about
# worldSickleCellAwarenessDay

Re: The Politics Of Disease Awareness Creation by Abali2013: 7:27pm On Jun 20, 2013
How many people really care what happens? Why the Non-Challant attitude, towards Sickle Cell Disease? I don't care how long it will take, but I have made up my mind to lend my voice to SickleCellAwareness campaign. I am not soliciting for funds, neither am I advertising. But I have made it my life's duty to educate people about SCD. Not only because am a sufferer, but because I am a Survivor.

(1) (Reply)

Chinua Achebe Had Nothing Personal Against Awolowo, Others — Ike, Son / We ’ll Shut Down Taraba Until Suntai Is Declared Incapacitated – Jimikuta / SEE 16-year-old Canadian-nigerian Girl Makes Beat For Jay-z’s New Album

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.