Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,896 members, 7,814,029 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:59 AM

The Issue Of Accidental Discharge - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Issue Of Accidental Discharge (474 Views)

Accidental Discharge: IGP To Introduce Use Of Stun Guns / Buhari Addressed The Issue Of ‘first 100 Days In Office In UK / Two Female Bombers Die In Borno Accidental Explosion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Issue Of Accidental Discharge by hairyman(m): 12:54pm On Jun 21, 2013
In recent times, numerous Nigerians most recently a nine year old boy in lagos have been obliterated and swallowed by the mammoth concotion termed accidental discharge. Disgusted by the continuation of this madness perpetrated with impunity by elements of the Nigerian Police I decided to embark on a research to understand the firearm training of a Nigerian policeman. Characteristically there was nothing to be found online concerning that. So I widened my search to countries like the United States. A myriad of information was available and after a quick perusal I was certain that either the Nigerian police is wrongly trained or the term "accidental discharge" is a fallacy, concorted and maintained as a result of the perceived idiocy of the average Nigerian, his willingness to accept nonsensities and the redundancy of his dispositions.
First and foremost in firearm training, every instructor ingrains in his student the need for safety in the use of this weapon secondly comes accuracy and last of all speed. Thus in this order, a man is trained in the use of firearms.
Every sophisticated firearm manufactured comes with a SAFETY CATCH. A trained man is instructed never to remove his firearm from safety until he intends to use it. Understand the language, not "unless" he intends to use it but UNTIL. The subtelty must not be overlooked. Only after the need arises should he flick off the saftey. With the Safety, a mistaken depression of the trigger will not cause the firearm to discharge averting the possibility of an accident.
Therefore I put it to the Nigerian police that unless their weapons come without safety, unless they train their operatives to regard safety last as against first, to risk life at will, to shoot and ask questions later and to terminate lives with wanton disregard, the term ACCIDENTAL DISCHARGE is an assault on our collective sensibilities and a grammatical contraption repugnant to common sense.
A policeman's finger has no business in the trigger compartment the situation absolutely mandates use of his firearm. Before that however the safety of his firearm has no justification being off in the absence of clear and present danger.
Re: The Issue Of Accidental Discharge by guy1234: 11:48am On Jun 22, 2013
Nice write up. The govt is highly unserious, so the situation Continues

(1) (Reply)

Lack Of Interim Officers Delays APC Registration / Governor Orji’s Wife Donates Food Items To Destitute Homes / Plane Makes Emergency Landing At Uyo Airport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.