Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,509 members, 7,819,839 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:18 AM

Charlize Theron Is The Best African Actress - Celebrities (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Charlize Theron Is The Best African Actress (71907 Views)

Poll: Is Charlize Theron the best African actress?

No: 55% (32 votes)
Yes: 44% (26 votes)
This poll has ended

Rita Dominic Is The Most Stylish African Actress / Who's The Prettiest African Actress? / Chris Brown Accused Of Assault On South African Actress. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Charlize Theron Is The Best African Actress by gem87(f): 1:46pm On May 29, 2006
she's really gud
i loved her most in Devil's Advocate with Keanu Reeves

she's a great actress
Re: Charlize Theron Is The Best African Actress by ddizzle(f): 6:09pm On May 29, 2006
yep dat was a gud film
Re: Charlize Theron Is The Best African Actress by sade511(f): 10:58pm On May 29, 2006
If we count Angela then we might as well count Halle Berry.
She's African American too.
Re: Charlize Theron Is The Best African Actress by ddizzle(f): 11:22pm On May 29, 2006
yeah lol, thats a point
Re: Charlize Theron Is The Best African Actress by Hero(m): 12:52am On May 30, 2006
sade511:

You can count her, and Basset will still be the best. Helle isn't an better actress than Angela. Every honest person knows this. smiley
Re: Charlize Theron Is The Best African Actress by Orikinla(m): 6:18pm On May 30, 2006
Sade511,

Charlize Theron is not African American.
She is African.
South African.
Re: Charlize Theron Is The Best African Actress by Orikinla(m): 6:52pm On May 30, 2006
Reports reaching me just said Charlize Theron may not be the best afterall. Because, Brümilda van Rensburg is the most popular Actress from Africa by the latest information reaching me. And by comparison, she could be better than Charlize Theron.

Starring in Egoli as Louwna Vorster for the last 10 years on TV M-Net everyday at 6 pm, watched by 41 million people also in Africa.
http://www.brumilda.com/intro.htm

Re: Charlize Theron Is The Best African Actress by Seun(m): 7:00pm On May 30, 2006
Brumilda is not the most popular african actress. According to [url=http://www.google.com/trends?q=charlize+theron%2CBr%C3%BCmilda&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all]Google Trends[/url], charlize theron is hundreds of times more popular if not more!

Brumilda's character might be getting a lot of exposure, but her own name is not. At least not online. Not even when compared to Genevieve Nnaji.
Re: Charlize Theron Is The Best African Actress by sade511(f): 8:43pm On May 30, 2006
Yeah Seun Ive never heard of Brumilda.

Orinkla I know she's not African American I was trying to prove a point.
Re: Charlize Theron Is The Best African Actress by Orikinla(m): 9:09pm On May 30, 2006
You know White people love to rate their own stars and products above others. So, I am doing the same by posting on my blog that Genevieve Nnaji is the most popular actress in Africa.

If they doubt me, let them check out the popularity of Genevieve from house to house in every country in Africa. cheesy
Re: Charlize Theron Is The Best African Actress by omogenikky(f): 8:23am On Jun 01, 2006
how can people say that Charlize is the best African actress when she does not even act in Africa. Common, do u mean best actress of "african origin" because then we would have all the black americans, then the black africans etc.

If this is really about the best "african actress", Charlize does not qualify cos she does not act in Africa.
Re: Charlize Theron Is The Best African Actress by alheri(f): 10:27am On Jun 01, 2006
thank you omogenikky! How can Charlize Theron be the best African Actress? Just cos she got a big break and has been able to penetrate into Hollywood doesnt make her the best African actress. Personally, I dont see anything African about her and I dont want to even go into it to avoid been called racist.

And who is Brumilda? Sounds like a perfume.

Genevive Nnaji is the Best African Actress!
Re: Charlize Theron Is The Best African Actress by bami(m): 12:12pm On Jun 01, 2006
Brumilda who? never heard of her.
As for genie, she is just popular and nothing more, i mean how can u compare her with a hollywood actress. Shes not even better than Sophie okenedo.
The best african-american actress is halle berry and there is no rival.
But as for as for chalize theron, if shes from South africa, surely is the best but lets face reality " that woman na OYIBO".
Compare and Contrast

Sophie and genie

Re: Charlize Theron Is The Best African Actress by Orikinla(m): 12:28pm On Jun 01, 2006
If tomorrow comes and Genevieve lands in Hollywood and makes it her base, will that change her status as an African actress?

An African is an African no matter where you choose to live.

Talking of Sophie okenedo.
She does not claim to be a Nigerian. She claims British.
But Charlize Theron has a South African Passport and she is very proud to say she is an African from South Africa, and she did not deny it when she won her Oscar.
And the American media don't call her an American actress.

An African is an African, no matter the colour of your skin.
There are white Nigerians in Nigeria.

Genevieve is even prettier and sexier than Sophie anyday and anytime.
My younger sister without any Hollywood make up and make over is more beautiful than Sophie and all those make up beauties in Hollywood.

Re: Charlize Theron Is The Best African Actress by dakmanzero(m): 4:16pm On Jun 01, 2006
To those hoping charlize and genevive act in the same movie:

she has already acted in a movie with not just one, but TWO nigerian actresses! (or at least actresses with Nigerian Ancestry)

Sophie Okenedo and Chioma Chikezie

edit: chioma chikezie should be Caroline Chikezie. sorry!

The movie is Aeon Flux.
Re: Charlize Theron Is The Best African Actress by Orikinla(m): 4:26pm On Jun 01, 2006
It's good to know that cheesy.
Re: Charlize Theron Is The Best African Actress by bami(m): 4:49pm On Jun 01, 2006
Orikinla:

It's good to know that cheesy.

to know what?
Re: Charlize Theron Is The Best African Actress by Idekeson(m): 5:11pm On Jun 01, 2006
Beautiful, sweet and sexy actress, but the African part, I'm not sold on yet. I can't seem to get around identifying white South-Africans as Africans. Maybe due to left over apartheid resentment on my part, but that's just how I feel.
Re: Charlize Theron Is The Best African Actress by LoverBwoy(m): 1:12am On Jun 02, 2006
I can't seem to get around identifying white South-Africans as Africans

same here, she white!!
Re: Charlize Theron Is The Best African Actress by ddizzle(f): 4:40am On Jun 02, 2006
lol, yah i feel yall
Re: Charlize Theron Is The Best African Actress by eveseh(f): 7:11am On Jun 02, 2006
abeg this two people are not the best thire are many
bests people sad
Re: Charlize Theron Is The Best African Actress by Reba(f): 9:13am On Jun 02, 2006
Idekeson:

Beautiful, sweet and sexy actress, but the African part, I'm not sold on yet. I can't seem to get around identifying white South-Africans as Africans. Maybe due to left over apartheid resentment on my part, but that's just how I feel.

Well we r over that,This girl was born in South Africa her parents even her great great grand parents are South African. And for that shes proud not only to be South African but African .It does nt matter whether u are white or what ever colour u bear if u r african u are just African.How about blacks who live in Europe or America are they not Americans or Europeans enough.

What u saying here is rubish .Peace
Re: Charlize Theron Is The Best African Actress by dakmanzero(m): 9:50am On Jun 02, 2006
White south Africans are Africans.

Resenting them because of Apartheid is just sour grapes. The fact is that her ancestors have lived here too long to call anywhere else home. skin colour is a moot point. or will u say that all the yellow yellow boys and girls that u all drool over are not african, afterall they are yellow, not black
Re: Charlize Theron Is The Best African Actress by alheri(f): 9:53am On Jun 02, 2006
@reba, whats getting you upset? No one here is speaking rubbish!
Shes not South-African, shes caucasian- South-African! She can never be a real South-African or African for that
matter, whether her greatest grandest father claims to be South-African!And it does matter whether you're Black or white in case you dont know, thats why blacks are refered to as African-americans and so on in the Americas and Europe!
Re: Charlize Theron Is The Best African Actress by dakmanzero(m): 10:44am On Jun 02, 2006
African-american is a term only used when it is neccesary to distinguish americans based on skin-colour, just like chinese-americans and so on. At the end of the day, they are AMERICANS.

White africans deserve no less. Skin colour should not determine a person's heritage. she was born and raised by peopple who wereborn and raised in Africa, so she is African. She has an African passport, and she swears allegiance to an African Nation. If war were to break out, she would be conscripted to and African army. She is African in every sense of the word. She ceases to be African when she decides to accept citizenship of another country, and denounce her African citizenship.

Do unto others. I'm sure if there was an isreal-palestine debate over here many of those calling for theron's head would be on the side of the Isrealis. If you can support them, why not support white Africans?
Re: Charlize Theron Is The Best African Actress by Seun(m): 11:01am On Jun 02, 2006
If a lady says she's African, and she has the citizenship, she's African. If she wanted to be an American they will have granted her citizenship. There's nothing fundamentally black about Africa; afterall we have light-skinned Arabs.
Re: Charlize Theron Is The Best African Actress by Reba(f): 11:09am On Jun 02, 2006
alheri:
Shes not South-African, shes caucasian- South-African! She can never be a real South-African or African
For that mater caucasian is her ethnic ,but she is still a real proud South African/African, just like we have other ethnic groups in Africa and every body of us is an African.She was raised in Africa,she is an African girl and she is proud of that.She went to the US to study moddeling and later she went into acting and her parents and siblings they are still living in Johannesburg.
Re: Charlize Theron Is The Best African Actress by Orikinla(m): 12:39pm On Jun 02, 2006
Reba,
Thank God you are here.

Charlize Theron is the pride of Africa and I love her for standing and walking tall as a proud South African.

Many of those who are doubting her claims to be an African would have dumped Nigeria if they were in her shoes. And they love America more than Nigeria. They even hide their Nigerian identity online. And I wonder why they are afraid to claim Nigerian in public?

After winning her Oscar, she returned to great celebrations in her native South Africa, and she even met former South African President Nelson Mandela. When he praised her for putting their country on the map and gave her a hug, Theron broke into tears (she was guest of honor at the Nelson Mandela Foundation in Johannesburg on March 11th 2004).
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000234/bio
Re: Charlize Theron Is The Best African Actress by Idekeson(m): 3:16pm On Jun 02, 2006
I'm not quick to anoint the whites all in the name of reconciliation while they enjoy the fruits of discriminating and exploiting Africans over the years. Maybe my children and grand children will see through skin color if they have economic equality with the "white Africans".
Re: Charlize Theron Is The Best African Actress by enugu(f): 5:48pm On Sep 11, 2006
[table]
dakmanzero:

African-american is a term only used when it is neccesary to distinguish americans based on skin-colour, just like chinese-americans and so on. At the end of the day, they are AMERICANS.

White africans deserve no less. Skin colour should not determine a person's heritage. she was born and raised by peopple who wereborn and raised in Africa, so she is African. She has an African passport, and she swears allegiance to an African Nation. If war were to break out, she would be conscripted to and African army. She is African in every sense of the word. She ceases to be African when she decides to accept citizenship of another country, and denounce her African citizenship.

Do unto others. I'm sure if there was an isreal-palestine debate over here many of those calling for theron's head would be on the side of the Isrealis. If you can support them, why not support white Africans?
[/table]

For your information, darkmanzero, skin does determine a person's heritage! Whether we like it or not!

We can argue from here to kingdom but at the end of the day, if Charlize and I were to walk into a village in some

far-flung European country, I would be stared at shocked and ignored, amongst other things; while Charlize would be

welcomed and feted. It has happened. Meanwhile both persons were 'Africans'.

So Charlize Theron, best 'African' Actress I don't know about that.

[table]
alheri:

@reba, whats getting you upset? No one here is speaking rubbish!
Shes not South-African, shes caucasian- South-African! She can never be a real South-African or African for that
matter, whether her greatest grandest father claims to be South-African!And it does matter whether you're Black or white in case you don't know, thats why blacks are refered to as African-americans and so on in the Americas and Europe!
[/table]

@alheri,
Na u tok true bo!! Which greatest grandfather No be them tief de land If we go dem place, dem go agree say we be English . Abeg no mind these apologists bo! Anytime dem see white person, dem go begin meskaform

[table]
dakmanzero:

White south Africans are Africans.

Resenting them because of Apartheid is just sour grapes. The fact is that her ancestors have lived here too long to call anywhere else home. skin colour is a moot point. or will u say that all the yellow yellow boys and girls that u all drool over are not african, afterall they are yellow, not black
[/table]

@darkmanzero,

I take it you are either a 'colonial mentalist', or you have never experienced the abject

prejudice that comes from having a darker skin colour or that you have no understanding of the history of South

Africa and how the caucasians came to be living there. I don't suppose you know that the present South African

government has begun to return the farmlands stolen by the white farmers (probably Charlize's g'father) back to the

original owners- the INDIGENOUS South Africans. If, based on your argument, that the length of time they've lived

there qualifies them to be South Africans, then why does the govt see fit to take the land and return it to the rightful

owners

My bros, wake up shocked and smell the palmwine!!! She might have won the Oscars- good on her- but she is CERTAINLY NO AFRICAN!!!!!
Re: Charlize Theron Is The Best African Actress by dakmanzero(m): 1:22pm On Sep 12, 2006
if you are racist, you have no right to complain about racism done unto you.

As such, I dont need to convince you of anything. You are racist, I am not. different points of view- we are both entitled to. I simply will not listen to you when you complain.

For the record, I have not only experienced racial prejudice, I was born into a prejudiced society and grew up there. My father eventually relocated from the UK to Nigeria almost squarely on grounds of racism and the 'glass ceiling effect'. We lived in an almost exclusively white environment, considering the nature of my fathers profession at that time, and frequently came in contact with less-privileged and envious white families. As such, if I can choose not to be racist despite all this, it should tell you something.
Re: Charlize Theron Is The Best African Actress by Orikinla(m): 11:06pm On Sep 12, 2006
Dakmanzero,
Don't argue with anyone who sees the human race in a black and white TV, while we see things in full colours of the rainbow.

Discriminations do not come only in blackand white. Discriminations come in all colours, classes, forms and styles.

There is class discrimination worse than racism.
There is tribalism worse than racism in Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ufomba Onyinyechi Goes Nude In A Bathtub Photoshoot / Comedian Akpororo Proposes To Girlfriend During Church Service (photos) / Coral Edgar Used To Lure Her Ex To Flat Where He Was Tortured To Death (Pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.