Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,152 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:51 PM

4 Convicts Hanged In Edo - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / 4 Convicts Hanged In Edo (15775 Views)

Three Ex-convicts Held For Traffic Robbery (pic) / Coffins Bearing The Dead Bodies Of Indonesian Drug Convicts Get Buried (photos) / Four Nigerians Saved From Being Hanged In Malaysia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Convicts Hanged In Edo by ogusbaba1(m): 11:53pm On Jun 24, 2013
Nigerian authorities on Monday hanged four prisoners, an official said, in what was believed to be the country's first known executions since 2006, drawing outrage from rights activists.

The justice commissioner in Edo state in southern Nigeria confirmed the hanging of the four prisoners, who had been convicted of either armed robbery or murder, he said.

According to the commissioner, all their appeals had been exhausted and their death warrants were signed.

"The court gave the judgement this afternoon that the execution could go ahead and the prison authority went ahead," Henry Idahagbon told AFP.

He added that the executions were carried out by the prison service, a federal agency, and not the state government.

However, he said he was informed by prison authorities of the executions. Edo state Governor Adams Oshiomhole signed two of the death warrants since the crimes occurred in Edo, said Idahagbon, as required by law.

Governors from elsewhere signed the two other death warrants, he said. Since the prison system is federal, prisoners can be moved elsewhere in the country.

A fifth prisoner is also due to be executed, but his sentence dated back to the military era that ended in 1999 and called for him to be killed by firing squad, which prison authorities were not yet prepared to do, he said.

Nigeria has faced international scrutiny over its death penalty, with concerns over whether suspects receive a fair trial in a country where corruption is widespread.

While they would mark the first official, known executions since 2006, Nigerian security forces have been repeatedly accused of extra-judicial killings during that time period.

Amnesty International said in a statement that it had received "credible reports that authorities in the state of Edo ... have hanged four men in Benin City Prison on Monday -- the first known executions in the country since 2006."

"If confirmed, these executions mark a sudden, brutal return to the use of the death penalty in Nigeria, a truly dark day for human rights in the country," Amnesty deputy director for Africa, Lucy Freeman, said in the statement

The human rights organisation urged Nigerian authorities to stop all executions immediately and "return to the moratorium on executions in the country."

"We oppose the death penalty in all cases without exception, as it is the ultimate cruel, inhuman and degrading punishment," it said.

President Goodluck Jonathan recently called on state governors to sign death warrants, saying it was their responsibility under the law, according to local media reports.

According to Amnesty, around 1,000 people are thought to be on death row in Africa's largest oil producer and most populous nation.
http://www.ogusbaba.com/2013/06/nigeria-hangs-4-prisoners-in-first.html
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/06/24/nigeria-hangs-4-prisoners-in-first-executions-since-2006/

Re: 4 Convicts Hanged In Edo by Nobody: 12:02am On Jun 25, 2013
RIP undecided
Re: 4 Convicts Hanged In Edo by neutrotoba(m): 12:03am On Jun 25, 2013
When will Rev. King be hanged?? Can't wait!!!!!!!!!

6 Likes

Re: 4 Convicts Hanged In Edo by homesteady(m): 12:11am On Jun 25, 2013
Seriously!! I don't know what to say!! All this kind of topics don't need comments!!

Should I support the government or support Amnesty international??

3 Likes

Re: 4 Convicts Hanged In Edo by Nightshift(m): 12:25am On Jun 25, 2013
Armed robbers hanged in Benin city? That must be those that followed Lawrence Anini and Monday Osunbor's steps.
Re: 4 Convicts Hanged In Edo by texaco1: 3:38am On Jun 25, 2013
speechless.
there is going to be lots of political debate ,attacks and counter attacks on this issue.
i cant wait to hear what pdp and other political parties have to say over this issue
Re: 4 Convicts Hanged In Edo by AlfaSeltzer(m): 6:34am On Jun 25, 2013
I bet they were singing praises and holding bibles while being led to the slaughter.
Re: 4 Convicts Hanged In Edo by kingthreat(m): 6:36am On Jun 25, 2013
While MOPOL have been using armed robbers for target practice continually, thereby creating space in prison cells.
Re: 4 Convicts Hanged In Edo by splashbaby(m): 7:07am On Jun 25, 2013
This is what Jonathan asked for during the fathers day celebration!...For me life imprisonment is better than death....But why capital punishment?...the crime may deserve it in the heat of the emotional truama caused but if we allow sound reasoning to prevail...an eye for an eye jungle justice system is a big shame to education.
Re: 4 Convicts Hanged In Edo by Wendyslim(f): 7:18am On Jun 25, 2013
Why will some people take life dat dey cannot create. So sad undecided undecided
Re: 4 Convicts Hanged In Edo by angelTI(f): 7:25am On Jun 25, 2013
Is death not d punishment for muder n 1st degree crimes?
Why r d NGO's doting on Nigeria as if we r d worst? They should go to malaysia, pakistan etc where killing cos of PETTY crimes is d order of d day

Not dat I support killing o

3 Likes

Re: 4 Convicts Hanged In Edo by UyiIredia(m): 7:53am On Jun 25, 2013
Hmmn. I understand the need for human rights and Amnesty's position but I disagree with it. Sorry, I'm totally Ann Coulter on this one. It doesn't make sense to maintain hardened murderers in prison, partly with the taxes of those who have suffered from these murderers, who have disregarded the same human right to life AI advocates.

5 Likes

Re: 4 Convicts Hanged In Edo by UyiIredia(m): 7:56am On Jun 25, 2013
splashbaby: This is what Jonathan asked for during the fathers day celebration!...For me life imprisonment is better than death....But why capital punishment?...the crime may deserve it in the heat of the emotional truama caused but if we allow sound reasoning to prevail...an eye for an eye jungle justice system is a big shame to education.

The very concept of punishment in law is dependent on an for an eye.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Convicts Hanged In Edo by UyiIredia(m): 8:01am On Jun 25, 2013
Alfa Seltzer: I bet they were singing praises and holding bibles while being led to the slaughter.

I know one of the prisoners. An ardent Satanist. She was depressed and holding an inverted cross while led to be hanged. Her names are Omega Pyro.

1 Like

Re: 4 Convicts Hanged In Edo by rosebowl01(m): 8:05am On Jun 25, 2013
Kini big deal?
Armed robbers, ritualists etc sentences people to untimely death everyday. The only problem is that; since Nigeria's judicial and security system is poor, we can never be certain whether those crimes were commited.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Convicts Hanged In Edo by AbuMikey(m): 8:23am On Jun 25, 2013
Na Political Scientists go Debate this one,and not Me!!!

1 Like

Re: 4 Convicts Hanged In Edo by maasoap(m): 9:16am On Jun 25, 2013
splashbaby: This is what Jonathan asked for during the fathers day celebration!...For me life imprisonment is better than death....But why capital punishment?...the crime may deserve it in the heat of the emotional truama caused but if we allow sound reasoning to prevail...an eye for an eye jungle justice system is a big shame to education.
May be after you might have been made an orphan by armed robbers, you should come back here to give a better opinion. Imagine armed robbers in your house, after collecting money and any other thing they could lay their hands on, still go ahead to kill your father without resisting or provoking them!

5 Likes

Re: 4 Convicts Hanged In Edo by mysticgal(f): 9:24am On Jun 25, 2013
What can we do but to sit and watchundecided
Re: 4 Convicts Hanged In Edo by texaco1: 9:27am On Jun 25, 2013
this might swing the political pendulum of edo politics in favour of pdp in the next election
Re: 4 Convicts Hanged In Edo by Melancholy(m): 9:33am On Jun 25, 2013
This is an issue that needs to be moved to front page nau!
Re: 4 Convicts Hanged In Edo by Nobody: 10:13am On Jun 25, 2013
WELL DAYUMMM
Re: 4 Convicts Hanged In Edo by buoye1(m): 10:14am On Jun 25, 2013
K
Re: 4 Convicts Hanged In Edo by Linoversace: 10:16am On Jun 25, 2013
Governors signing death warrants.Well, Goodluck to them!
Re: 4 Convicts Hanged In Edo by fitzmayowa: 10:16am On Jun 25, 2013
May their soul rest in peace

1 Like

Re: 4 Convicts Hanged In Edo by Nobody: 10:16am On Jun 25, 2013
hang,hanger, hangest!
convict,convicter,convictest!

hell just increased its population.
Re: 4 Convicts Hanged In Edo by LadySarin: 10:18am On Jun 25, 2013
why should u hang peoples children
Re: 4 Convicts Hanged In Edo by nekaa(f): 10:19am On Jun 25, 2013
So they have started signing death warrants already?
Re: 4 Convicts Hanged In Edo by Dygeasy(m): 10:20am On Jun 25, 2013
Wendyslim: Why will some people take life dat dey cannot create. So sad undecided undecided
I Believe The People Who Were Hanged Have Done Something Close To Murder Or Murder Itself. So Your Argument Is Baseless.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Convicts Hanged In Edo by adexsimply(m): 10:20am On Jun 25, 2013
obadiah777: WELL DAYUMMM
undecided undecided
Re: 4 Convicts Hanged In Edo by Nobody: 10:21am On Jun 25, 2013
adexsimply: undecided undecided
SUP BROS ADEX wink wink grin
Re: 4 Convicts Hanged In Edo by Freiburger(m): 10:21am On Jun 25, 2013
Linoversace: Governors signing death warrants.Well, Goodluck to them!
They are acting like they dont know, but deep down in their heart, they know its wrong.
Re: 4 Convicts Hanged In Edo by Codedrock(m): 10:21am On Jun 25, 2013
Life imprisonment will be beta..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Man Arrested For Defrauding Senior Police Officer In India / Ogun Commissioner Visits Woman Found With Dead Child, Promises To Support Them / How Nigeria’s SSS Is Violating The Law And Illegally Parading Itself As DSS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.