Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,476 members, 7,830,393 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:02 PM

Nigeria's Abraham Lincoln. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's Abraham Lincoln. (1422 Views)

Gani Adams Praises Buhari, Says He’s Nigeria’s Abraham Lincoln / Gani Adams Praises Buhari, Says He’s Nigeria’s Abraham Lincoln / JFK Present An Abraham Lincoln Bust To Tafawa Balewa.(pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's Abraham Lincoln. by Symphony007: 7:11am On Jun 25, 2013
Recently, i was in wasington d.c and i visited the lincoln memorial. It was a very moving place and one thing that jumped out at me was a quote on one part of the wall, itLs something like this.
"in this temple, and in the heart
of all those for whom he saved
the union,abraham lincoln lives
on"
and i taught, we have someone like this in nigeria, who preserved our union during a civil war, yakubu gowon why is he not appreciated, respected or idolized like american do abe lincoln for he preserved our union.

Re: Nigeria's Abraham Lincoln. by CROWE: 7:14am On Jun 25, 2013
In case you haven't noticed, its not exactly a happy union.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Abraham Lincoln. by mike404(m): 7:32am On Jun 25, 2013
HOPE YA NOT TRYING TO CALL BUHARI THE JIHADIST AS ABRAHAM LINCOLN OF NIGERIA angry

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Abraham Lincoln. by egift(m): 7:35am On Jun 25, 2013
When Lincoln and others secured the union, they the founding fathers set clear principle for the nation. Over the years American leaders expanded on those - rights, inequality, discrination, benefits to the people, etc.

But Gowon cannot get that honor because the problems that led to the war are still with us, recommendations from Aburi were not immplemented, the injustice against Ndigbo is outrightly denied and most Nigerians still suffer injustice and poverty. So nothing for Gowon.

Buhari/Fashiola 2015-2019 let's rebuild Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria's Abraham Lincoln. by Nobody: 7:42am On Jun 25, 2013
CROWÉ: In case you haven't noticed, its not exactly a happy union.

That was a smart answer..

Also lincoln deeply wanted a united people of america unlike Gowon who probably want a revenge against the ppl that killed their leaders.

I don't even know any of his offspring that lives in Nigeria he protected.. I saw one in dallas tx last wk...
Re: Nigeria's Abraham Lincoln. by Symphony007: 7:43am On Jun 25, 2013
CROWÉ: In case you haven't noticed, its not exactly a happy union.
the united states of america fought it's civil war about 40 to 50 years into it's independence and then it was'nt a happy union but about 200 years later, they are the world's superpower.
Re: Nigeria's Abraham Lincoln. by Symphony007: 7:48am On Jun 25, 2013
egift: When Lincoln and others secured the union, they the founding fathers set clear principle for the nation. Over the years American leaders expanded on those - rights, inequality, discrination, benefits to the people, etc.

But Gowon cannot get that honor because the problems that led to the war are still with us, recommendations from Aburi were not immplemented, the injustice against Ndigbo is outrightly denied and most Nigerians still suffer injustice and poverty. So nothing for Gowon.

abraham lincoln was not a founding father. The united states civil war broke out years after the death of the u.s founding fathers like george washington,alexandar hamlinton, thomas jefferson, etc. Abraham lincoln left a deeply divided america after the civil war but generations of subsequent american leader have manage to unite the nation and and 200 years later today, the u.s rules the world. That is the part nigeria ought follow. Just belive.
Re: Nigeria's Abraham Lincoln. by Nobody: 7:52am On Jun 25, 2013
Double post.
Re: Nigeria's Abraham Lincoln. by Nobody: 7:53am On Jun 25, 2013
Symphony007: the united states of america fought it's civil war about 40 to 50 years into it's independence and then it was'nt a happy union but about 200 years later, they are the world's superpower.

So with this analogy of yours, shouldn't "Nigeria" also be given 200 years?

Don't compare apples with grapes, my dear. The respective foundations for the establishment of both countries are as different as night and day.
Re: Nigeria's Abraham Lincoln. by AlfaSeltzer(m): 7:54am On Jun 25, 2013
OP, thunder fire your entire generation from the big bang until the last day.
Re: Nigeria's Abraham Lincoln. by UyiIredia(m): 8:07am On Jun 25, 2013
Symphony007: Recently, i was in wasington d.c and i visited the lincoln memorial. It was a very moving place and one thing that jumped out at me was a quote on one part of the wall, itLs something like this.
"in this temple, and in the heart
of all those for whom he saved
the union,abraham lincoln lives
on"
and i taught, we have someone like this in nigeria, who preserved our union during a civil war, yakubu gowon why is he not appreciated, respected or idolized like american do abe lincoln for he preserved our union.

E better make I kukuma choose Ojukwu or Wole Soyinka. Not Yakubu !
Re: Nigeria's Abraham Lincoln. by UyiIredia(m): 8:10am On Jun 25, 2013
egift: When Lincoln and others secured the union, they the founding fathers set clear principle for the nation. Over the years American leaders expanded on those - rights, inequality, discrination, benefits to the people, etc.

Ribadu/Fashola or Fashola/Ribadu, I can take. But not Buhari. Even in the unlikely event I vote for Buhari, it would be grudgingly.
Re: Nigeria's Abraham Lincoln. by Symphony007: 11:17am On Jun 25, 2013
HNosegbe:

So with this analogy of yours, shouldn't "Nigeria" also be given 200 years?

Don't compare apples with grapes, my dear. The respective foundations for the establishment of both countries are as different as night and day.
i never said nigeria should be given 200 years to unite and move forward. It might not be that long. We just need time before people will stop thinking themeselves northerners and southerners but as nigerians.
Re: Nigeria's Abraham Lincoln. by Symphony007: 11:22am On Jun 25, 2013
No matter what gowon did to preserve our union, lincoln did worse. Is it starving the confedrates(the rebels) including women and children, Hanging, wiping off towns etc...but today he is a national hero. But his heroic image didi'nt appear immediately. It took years and history judged him well. Maybe same will happen with yakubu gowon.
Re: Nigeria's Abraham Lincoln. by CROWE: 12:38pm On Jun 25, 2013
There is a comparable difference though, the south were unhappy because they couldn't keep their slaves, the major source of their economy, with other sources discovered they got over it but Nigerians are unhappy because they are being oppressed by the federal government and that has to change so while the American problem would have naturally been overcome in a matter of time ours still needs a bit of work.

(1) (Reply)

Aviation Minister S. Oduah Accused Of Involvement In Multi-billion Contract Scam / 10 Month Old Jigawa Airport Airlift Pilgrims / How To Apply For FG’s Recently Launched Mortgage Scheme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.