Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,433 members, 7,815,982 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:46 PM

Divine Favour Or Cheating. . . You Judge! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Divine Favour Or Cheating. . . You Judge! (846 Views)

Abroad Must Favour My Family (hilarious Photo) / Before You Judge That Man By His Religion Or Tribe...read This. / DIVINE Favour!...great Testimonies. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Divine Favour Or Cheating. . . You Judge! by youngdady: 1:44pm On Jun 25, 2013
I was in church sometime back and the sermon given by a pastor goes thus: Holding steadfast to God and not man. Fine sermon you would say.

The pastor went on to extol the good virtues of the Lord and the importance of waiting on the Lord and not man. He then went on to narrate his own experience which got me thinking.

Find below his experience and make your own judgement:

Pastor: After graduating from University, I did a lot of menial jobs just to sustain myself and suffered a lot but never lost faith in the Lord, after several years of suffering, I got a call from my friend who asked if I was interested in a job, I said yes.

He invited me over and prepared me for the interview. During the preparation, he told me what questions to expect and how to answer them.

The bolded part was stated explicitly by him! This for me poses a challenge, cos what I inferred from that is that he was coached with the interview questionnaire more or less.

This to me is akin to cheating, so I'd like to ask those more knowledgeable than I in the word, WHAT IS THE THIN LINE BETWEEN DIVINE FAVOUR AND OUTRIGHT CHEATING. . . IT SEEMS BLURRED RIGHT NOW! embarassed
Re: Divine Favour Or Cheating. . . You Judge! by honeychild(f): 2:46pm On Jun 25, 2013
cheating!
Re: Divine Favour Or Cheating. . . You Judge! by Image123(m): 3:12pm On Jun 25, 2013
The story is not complete and perhaps not reflected in its original context. Quite difficult to answer. There are many books and articles that tell job seekers questions to expect in a job interview and how to tackle them. That the tutoring is not through a book but through a man does not make it cheating. A teacher most likely is free to answer students questions before the exam also.
Re: Divine Favour Or Cheating. . . You Judge! by Nobody: 3:43pm On Jun 25, 2013
Hi young,

Hmmm...

It depends really and like image said, the information is not complete to give an informed opinion on the matter...

The following are some of the questions that need to be addressed:

1) Was the pastor aware that the questions were exactly what the interviewers would ask?

2) Was the friend part of the interview panel and is he privy to the interview questions?

3) Did the friend share sensitive interview 'materials' with the pastor?

4) Was the pastor aware that the friend was helping him cheat, if at all he cheated?

5) Was the preparation for the interview general or specific?

Now, it is not uncommon for people who have had some interview experience with their company or some other one to share same to would be employees...this practice is not wrong and some companies encourage it too.

Anyways, until we get a clearer picture of what transpired between the pastor and his friend, it would be difficult to tell if indeed he cheated.
Re: Divine Favour Or Cheating. . . You Judge! by youngdady: 4:13pm On Jun 25, 2013
@ image123/striktlymi:

What I heard is what I've repeated (verbatim) and won't be more forthcoming with extra info for reasons best known to me!

Thanks all for your insights, would love to read more!
Re: Divine Favour Or Cheating. . . You Judge! by Candour(m): 6:39pm On Jun 25, 2013
@youngdady

The concerns raised by Striktlymi and image123 are valid and pivotal in arriving at a conclusion.The bolded in your original post did not tell us if the questions were the exact interview questions he was eventually asked.Even as students, our lecturers might give us AOC to expect and maybe how to tackle them.That would qualify as examples and wont be wrong in my own estimation.

You are asking us to arrive at the conclusion you got to without giving us the background information you used in doing so.

This will be difficult my brother if you want objectivity
Re: Divine Favour Or Cheating. . . You Judge! by Mudley313: 7:30pm On Jun 25, 2013
understanding the nigerian psyche, you do not need to have any discerning power to know that the so-called pastor was attributing cheating to divine favor...in nigeria, the end justifies the means, and that's how it has always been...uduaghan wins election through massive vote rigging; holds thanksgiving service the following sunday in the church of the PFN head...nigerian uses fake documents to acquire visa to travel abroad; gives testimony following sunday to let the world know what the lord has done for him...nigerian student graduates university through mostly bribery of lecturers to score good grades; it's the lords doing and it's marvelous in our eyes...yahoo-yahoo boy hammers and acquires landed property; has pastor come dedicate the property...mind you, these are not hypothetical situations, but ones i have personally witnessed in my dealings with the hypocritical riddle that is your typical nigerian
Re: Divine Favour Or Cheating. . . You Judge! by Candour(m): 7:47pm On Jun 25, 2013
Mudley313: understanding the nigerian psyche, you do not need to have any discerning power to know that the so-called pastor was attributing cheating to divine favor...in nigeria, the end justifies the means, and that's how it has always been...uduaghan wins election through massive vote rigging; holds thanksgiving service the following sunday in the church of the PFN head...nigerian uses fake documents to acquire visa to travel abroad; gives testimony following sunday to let the world know what the lord has done for him...nigerian student graduates university through mostly bribery of lecturers to score good grades; it's the lords doing and it's marvelous in our eyes...yahoo-yahoo boy hammers and acquires landed property; has pastor come dedicate the property...mind you, these are not hypothetical situations, but ones i have personally witnessed in my dealings with the hypocritical riddle that is your typical nigerian

your assessment of the Nigerian psyche is very correct.In fact i also have examples along the line of yours that i've personally witnessed.However the OP obviously knows something we dont that makes him able to draw his conclusion.I can also draw that conclusion based on experiences i've had but what if this is truly different?

He should say all he knows and help every body remove all doubt.

(1) (Reply)

Was Jesus Violent And Inconsiderate? / Jesus Is Alive, A Most Read! / The Reality Of God's Existence As NASA Finds Message From God On Mars.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.