Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,718 members, 7,820,501 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:01 PM

Nigeria Snubs US, Looks On To Build Economic Relations With China And Russia - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Snubs US, Looks On To Build Economic Relations With China And Russia (3920 Views)

Buhari Didn’t Sign Any Loan Deal With China – Presidency / China And Russia Send Sophisticated War Weapons To Nigeria / Nigeria Snubs US, Signs Defence Cooperation Deal With Russia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Snubs US, Looks On To Build Economic Relations With China And Russia by Nobody: 2:46pm On Jun 26, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

He's right.

Economically

90% of the product Americans use is China made (rough estimation)

Hahahahahahaha
With all the cries of china stealing US jobs and currency manipulation, definitely the chinese is hitting the US really hard. I hope you've calcuated your own share of the debt. tongue
Re: Nigeria Snubs US, Looks On To Build Economic Relations With China And Russia by ballabriggs: 2:51pm On Jun 26, 2013
~Bluetooth:

LMAO. . .NL and jokers

Chinese needs US to survive ? shocked

Not with that huge debt the US will have to cough out to china !

Get some knowledge. China holds the bulk of its foreign reserves in US treasury bills. A part of those treasury bills go into consumption which is used to fund the for demand Chinese exports. What happens if consumption falls in the US? It follows with falling output in China.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Snubs US, Looks On To Build Economic Relations With China And Russia by akpomeme(m): 3:03pm On Jun 26, 2013
solomon111: what it means is that Nigeria will become indifferent to america.
We will just restrict our relationship with america to essential trade.
They will probably have to search for another ally to help them in their unnecessary and paranoid "war against terrorism in the african continent", which will be very hard as southafrica the only viable subsaharan nation already belongs to the BRICS.
America always acting like they have it all figured out..
Re: Nigeria Snubs US, Looks On To Build Economic Relations With China And Russia by akpomeme(m): 3:06pm On Jun 26, 2013
~Bluetooth:

LMAO. . .NL and jokers

Nairalanders sha!!! O boy which country you dey?
Re: Nigeria Snubs US, Looks On To Build Economic Relations With China And Russia by akpomeme(m): 4:20pm On Jun 26, 2013
~Bluetooth:

Hahahahahahaha
With all the cries of china stealing US jobs and currency manipulation, definitely the chinese is hitting the US really hard. I hope you've calcuated your own share of the debt. tongue
She is right... jobs are constantly being shifted away to China.. the iphone I blog with right now is designed in America and made in China grin
Re: Nigeria Snubs US, Looks On To Build Economic Relations With China And Russia by DerideGull(m): 5:59pm On Jun 26, 2013
The alleged foreign policy move by GEJ is a welcome idea. USA foreign policy reeks of arrogance, dictatorship and immorality. Who wants to do business with a country where it is acceptable practice for a man to marry a fellow man?
Re: Nigeria Snubs US, Looks On To Build Economic Relations With China And Russia by hakanai(m): 6:26pm On Jun 26, 2013
~Bluetooth:

What did he do ? Where were you when Yardua snubbed Obama and the UN but allied with china and Russia ? International politics is not about harbouring enemity as he's doing to Amaechi,just pursue your goals according to your foreign policy.Sometimes you still need an alliance with your enemy.

You don't need to hate the US for pursuing her foreign policy and excluding Nigeria from it !

Gbam!!!! The same thing US did during Yar'adua.At the end he simply went east. shikenan!!! If the US president can visit Africa twice and in all cases miss out Nigeria,I think there is a serious reason. As far as Africa is concerned security,economical,Political and energy i don't see how Obama can miss Nigeria like that.Considering his previous and current reasons of being in Africa.Its a shame and humiliation of the highest order. undecided undecided undecided undecided
meanwhile all GEJ supporters can't wait to add such visit,as achievement under GEJ !!!!! grin grin grin grin cool cool cool
Anyways GEJ you did well.No need to beg too much.If west no want just go east. cool cool cool
Re: Nigeria Snubs US, Looks On To Build Economic Relations With China And Russia by owobokiri(m): 7:00pm On Jun 26, 2013
What are the benefits of Nigerias sadistic relations with the US since 1960? Where are those benefits? Oil multinationals pillaging with furry? Why is it so hard for Nigeria to discard this arrogant bully?
Re: Nigeria Snubs US, Looks On To Build Economic Relations With China And Russia by 4Play(m): 7:33pm On Jun 26, 2013
owobokiri: What are the benefits of Nigerias sadistic relations with the US since 1960? Where are those benefits? Oil multinationals pillaging with furry? Why is it so hard for Nigeria to discard this arrogant bully?

Multinationals explore and extract oil whilst paying the Nigerian Govt the lion share. Instead of querying what your Govt does with the money it receives, you are here blaming the US. Amongst the oil companies operating in Nigeria, none is as astute in pillaging as NNPC.

Perhaps, you think Chinese oil companies will be better for Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Snubs US, Looks On To Build Economic Relations With China And Russia by owobokiri(m): 7:55pm On Jun 26, 2013
4 Play:

Multinationals explore and extract oil whilst paying the Nigerian Govt the lion share. Instead of querying what your Govt does with the money it receives, you are here blaming the US. Amongst the oil companies operating in Nigeria, none is as astute in pillaging as NNPC.

Perhaps, you think Chinese oil companies will be better for Nigeria.

Sorry, I "query" whosoever i want to... You are totally wrong. The multi nationals literally account to nobody! Most of the contracts with the Nigerian government post 1970 have been skewed to favor them as the ruling cabal endlessly tries to satisfy the west for creating and sustaining through massive force, a contraption that only carters for the dominant elite and their foreign backers. The oil coys steal oil and in most cases there is no government official at the point of delivery. Essentially it is only in Nigeria that an oil company will pump out as much oil as she can and then submits whatsoever quantity quotation it likes as the amount of crude exported at any given time.. They are all colluding to rob this country blind and as it is, we can do without this kind of slavish "relationship",. America is useless to this country. Totally useless at this point in our history. Time to change gear is now.
Re: Nigeria Snubs US, Looks On To Build Economic Relations With China And Russia by 4Play(m): 8:10pm On Jun 26, 2013
owobokiri:

Sorry, I "query" whosoever i want to... You are totally wrong. The multi nationals literally account to nobody! Most of the contracts with the Nigerian government post 1970 have been skewed to favor them as the ruling cabal endlessly tries to satisfy the west for creating and sustaining through massive force, a contraption that only carters for the dominant elite and their foreign backers. The oil coys steal oil and in most cases there is no government official at the point of delivery. Essentially it is only in Nigeria that an oil company will pump out as much oil as she can and then submits whatsoever quantity quotation it likes as the amount of crude exported at any given time.. They are all colluding to rob this country blind and as it is, we can do without this kind of slavish "relationship",. America is useless to this country. Totally useless at this point in our history. Time to change gear is now.

You are conjuring allegations out of thin air to substantiate nonsense. Please provide evidence that US oil companies steal Nigerian oil and that hapless NNPC or Nigerian Govt officials don't know about their output.
Re: Nigeria Snubs US, Looks On To Build Economic Relations With China And Russia by Wallie(m): 8:18pm On Jun 26, 2013
There are some many ignorant people on this thread it's not even funny! There's nothing wrong in being proud of one's own or even being overly enthusiastic but one has to inject a semblance of reality!

Obama skipped Nigeria because Nigeria is perceived to be regressing. Do you guys also realize that he's skipping Kenya? Do you know why? The democratically elected Kenyan president, Uhuru Kenyatta, is currently facing charges of crimes against humanity at the International Criminal Court (ICC).

The foreign policy is simple. Do not encourage/reward bad behavior from foreign leaders. Do you know that as staunch an ally the US is to Israel, Obama did not visit Israel until a couple of months ago?

I head a commentary today on the News about a new push to stop lumping the African continent together when investment opportunities are spoken of. The investors realize that there are some countries that are truly reformed and provide a great atmosphere to invest. Countries mentioned were South Africa, Ghana and Tanzania. I wonder why the so-called giant of Africa is missing!

Lastly, you guys seem to think that the US will lose out if Nigeria is ignored. My question is lose out on what exactly, oil? Look at the oil import trend from Nigeria and you decide:

413,932 Annual-Thousand Barrels

361,659 Annual-Thousand Barrels

295,310 Annual-Thousand Barrels

373,297 Annual-Thousand Barrels

298,732 Annual-Thousand Barrels

161,42 Annual-Thousand Barrels

http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_move_impcus_a1_NNI_ep00_im0_mbbl_a.htm
Re: Nigeria Snubs US, Looks On To Build Economic Relations With China And Russia by Wallie(m): 8:29pm On Jun 26, 2013
~Bluetooth:

LMAO. . .NL and jokers

I think the debt thing needs to be put into perspective! China only holds $1.2 trillion of US debt. Japan holds $1.1 trillion.

China owns about 8 percent of publicly held U.S. debt. Of all the holders of U.S. debt China is the third-largest, behind only the Social Security Trust Fund's holdings of nearly $3 trillion and the Federal Reserve's nearly $2 trillion holdings in Treasury investments.

Also notice that the major holders of US debt are export dependent countries, wonder why?

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/data-chart-center/tic/Documents/mfh.txt
http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/moneymatters/ss/How-Much-US-Debt-Does-China-Own.htm
Re: Nigeria Snubs US, Looks On To Build Economic Relations With China And Russia by Samxiulee: 8:30pm On Jun 26, 2013
akpomeme:
Cost of doing business in Nigeria has always been high. DSTV in SA does not deal with power failure or generator to power up its bases in SA but in Nigeria they do. Our laws governing international businesses in Nigeria can add up to many overhead cost. It makes more sense for a company like dstv to go on monthly plan package for its subscribers in Nigeria in order to manage risk and be assured of its receivables.

Now coming back to countries exploiting us, yes people in power and positions of authority may have foolishly sold this country in the past for kobo, I can tell you most of that has changed. New laws and policies are shaping Nigerian business environment like the local content act which requires up to 60% of contracts given out in the Petroleum Industry to be awarded to local companies by IOCs and other major players. This way, proceeds and knowledge remain within our shores. So things can change and all these things began in less than two years
Dstv does not operate in Nigeria,its operates from South Africa,it does not need phcn to broadcast,multichoice is just a marketing firm,so why can't we also av a pay as you go option?
Re: Nigeria Snubs US, Looks On To Build Economic Relations With China And Russia by Wallie(m): 8:48pm On Jun 26, 2013
Here's why China will continue to hold US debt just like the Japan has always done: trade deficit - they sell more to us than we sell to them!

The trade deficit will make China hold more US dollars than we have Chinese Yen. With all the extra US dollars that they have from selling stuff in the US, they need to invest or spend it. One of the ways of spending it is to buy properties in the US where dollar is accepted except the US congress always frown upon the Chinese buying any major US asset. Another way is to buy our bonds and treasuries, which is how they currently invest most of their dollars.

If the US were to close its boarder to Chinese imports, do you know what will happen to the Chinese economy and all those workers working in the factories? In the US, the major impact will be felt at mega retailers like Wal-Mart that make a killing from selling cheap products.
Re: Nigeria Snubs US, Looks On To Build Economic Relations With China And Russia by djon78(m): 9:01pm On Jun 26, 2013
Good move by the present government, I think our policy now should be more towards the east and less of west, because Africas relationship with the west has been more of master-servant while the east relates to us with mutual respect and as equal partner. Another imperative is that many countries in the east are now major players in the global economy with sound economic blueprint for the future while majority of economies in the west are bugged down with astronomical debts and poor economic future. We really need to relate more with those guys, cos we have so much to learn from them.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Snubs US, Looks On To Build Economic Relations With China And Russia by Symphony007: 9:03pm On Jun 26, 2013
Glad pres. Jonathan has retraced his steps. If only he had continue where pres. Yar adua stopped, nigeria would have been a member of the BRICS by now. During yar adua's term in office dimitry medvedev visited nigeria, including wen jia boa but jonathan just threw all these away to embrace the american who disregarded him to the point he never step his foot in the oval office, all meeting with obama was at blair house. Meanwhile other african countries get state visit honours. We had better reevaluate our foreign policy and make friends with the kings of tomorrow not the declinning kings of today.
Re: Nigeria Snubs US, Looks On To Build Economic Relations With China And Russia by CROWE: 9:06pm On Jun 26, 2013
As long as we do not adopt their policies and ideologies, I am cool with this.
Re: Nigeria Snubs US, Looks On To Build Economic Relations With China And Russia by solomon111(m): 9:26pm On Jun 26, 2013
Wallie: There are some many ignorant people on this thread it's not even funny! There's nothing wrong in being proud of one's own or even being overly enthusiastic but one has to inject a semblance of reality!

Obama skipped Nigeria because Nigeria is perceived to be regressing. Do you guys also realize that he's skipping Kenya? Do you know why? The democratically elected Kenyan president, Uhuru Kenyatta, is currently facing charges of crimes against humanity at the International Criminal Court (ICC).

The foreign policy is simple. Do not encourage/reward bad behavior from foreign leaders. Do you know that as staunch an ally the US is to Israel, Obama did not visit Israel until a couple of months ago?

I head a commentary today on the News about a new push to stop lumping the African continent together when investment opportunities are spoken of. The investors realize that there are some countries that are truly reformed and provide a great atmosphere to invest. Countries mentioned were South Africa, Ghana and Tanzania. I wonder why the so-called giant of Africa is missing!

Lastly, you guys seem to think that the US will lose out if Nigeria is ignored. My question is lose out on what exactly, oil? Look at the oil import trend from Nigeria and you decide:

what the fucck are you talking about?
Nigeria alone accounts for 13% of the FDI in africa,the highest in africa and is estimated to even get bigger.
Nigeria growing at the rate of 7.2%,which is probably the highest in africa.
Nigeria is already positioned to be the largest economy in africa in the nearest future.
Nigeria is far more pivotal in africa than those countries you listed and it will be a collosal mistake for american interests in africa, if they let Nigeria go east-ward.
The advisors in obama's cabinet must be cretinns.
Anyway,i am happy that Nigeria is finally moving east thanks to america shooting themselves in the foot.
We should be looking to join the BRICS.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Snubs US, Looks On To Build Economic Relations With China And Russia by Wallie(m): 9:26pm On Jun 26, 2013
djon78: Good move by the present government, I think our policy now should be more towards the east and less of west, because Africas relationship with the west has been more of master-servant while the east relates to us with mutual respect and as equal partner. Another imperative is that many countries in the east are now major players in the global economy with sound economic blueprint for the future while majority of economies in the west are bugged down with astronomical debts and poor economic future. We really need to relate more with those guys, cos we have so much to learn from them.

Here's a slightly different perspective and, frankly, my pet peeve with most African governments.

China or any other country investing in Africa is not doing so out of goodwill. They are doing so because they can make a profit and in the case of China, secure energy sources and sell us finished products from our natural resources. I have no problem with that because they're looking out for their own interest.

However, my problem is with our politicians that fail to look out for our own interests. China comes to Africa with money, they invest in a particular sector but they use that money to buy their own equipment and hire their own foreign Chinese personnel. Little, if any, of the money actually stays in the local economy. After exporting the raw materials, they then manufacture it into finished products in China and import the same into the local economy.

My question is what have we gained or going to gain from the entire transaction?

Solution:
Technology Transfer - The government should put measures in place that will force the Chinese to hire the local population especially for the skilled labor aspect of the job. We have enough bricklayers but not those skilled enough to take on an industry. You need technology to compete in today’s marketplace!

Monetary policy - make it more difficult or more enticing to keep currency within the local economy. This will force them to invest locally; otherwise, the money will just sit in a bank losing value to inflation.
Re: Nigeria Snubs US, Looks On To Build Economic Relations With China And Russia by doncaster(m): 9:27pm On Jun 26, 2013
Wallie:

If the US were to close its boarder to Chinese imports, do you know what will happen to the Chinese economy and all those workers working in the factories? In the US, the major impact will be felt at mega retailers like Wal-Mart that make a killing from selling cheap products.
The impact will be felt all over. How many workers do you think works for wall mart? The heat will be too much if half of all the workers are sacked.
Re: Nigeria Snubs US, Looks On To Build Economic Relations With China And Russia by solomon111(m): 9:30pm On Jun 26, 2013
Wallie: There are some many ignorant people on this thread it's not even funny! There's nothing wrong in being proud of one's own or even being overly enthusiastic but one has to inject a semblance of reality!

Re: Nigeria Snubs US, Looks On To Build Economic Relations With China And Russia by Wallie(m): 9:33pm On Jun 26, 2013
solomon111: what the fucck are you talking about?
Nigeria alone accounts for 13% of the FDI in africa,the highest in africa and is estimated to even get bigger.
Nigeria growing at the rate of 7.2%,which is probably the highest in africa.
Nigeria is already positioned to be the largest economy in africa in the nearest future.
Nigeria is far more pivotal in africa than those countries you listed and it will be a collosal mistake for american interests in africa, if they let Nigeria go east-ward.
The advisors in obama's cabinet must be cretinns.
Anyway,i am happy that Nigeria is finally moving east thanks to america shooting themselves in the foot.
We should be looking to join the BRICS.

Calm down! There's no reason to get emotional. No one denies the potential that Nigeria holds. But Nigeria's case is like that of gifted athlete that could have made it to the world stage but keeps messing up and never moved past the local league. I'm sure we all know of a brilliant classmate in high school that we run into later in life only to comment on how intelligent the kid was back then!

Wasted talent/gift is worse than not having the talent/gift in the first place.
Re: Nigeria Snubs US, Looks On To Build Economic Relations With China And Russia by Wallie(m): 9:39pm On Jun 26, 2013
doncaster: The impact will be felt all over. How many workers do you think works for wall mart? The heat will be too much if half of all the workers are sacked.

Dude, do you know how many mom and pop stores closed due to Walmart? Do you think people would rather work for someone that pays $7-8/hr or $10-$12 per hour? If Walmart shut its doors today, by midnight little stores will pop up to fill the vacuum.

See the effects of Walmart below:
http://www.larouchepub.com/other/2003/3045walmart_iowa.html
Re: Nigeria Snubs US, Looks On To Build Economic Relations With China And Russia by solomon111(m): 9:47pm On Jun 26, 2013
Wallie:

Calm down! There's no reason to get emotional. No one denies the potential that Nigeria holds. But Nigeria's case is like that of gifted athlete that could have made it to the world stage but keeps messing up and never moved past the local league. I'm sure we all know of a brilliant classmate in high school that we run into later in life only to comment on how intelligent the kid was back then!

Wasted talent/gift is worse than not having the talent/gift in the first place.
I am not worked up.
I am deligted actually.
We've gained next to nothing from being america's stooge and i've always advocated that we move eastwards.
I am just happy for this decision that's all.
As for the rest of your post,yes you are correct that Nigeria keep short-changing herself.
But even at that,Nigeria is still a major voice on the african continent and a key US ally.
It's absolutely stupidd to embarass Nigeria like that.
What they should have done was to hold a closed door meeting with the president and voice their concerns.
Imagine the secretary of states of america publicly chastising Nigeria during the state of emergency.
I was stunned.
Who does to that to an "ally"?.
Even the CNN was critical of the secretary of state for that diplomatic blunder.
Who cares,anyway?
America's lose.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Snubs US, Looks On To Build Economic Relations With China And Russia by 50calibre(m): 10:03pm On Jun 26, 2013
ba7man: Lions will never lose sleep over the opinions and actions of sheep. Do the right things and Countries will fall over themselves to associate with you. @Rossik. Who can challenge Obama's intellect and political might in Africa?? G.E.J??

Lol Robert Mugabe would challenge Obama in every facets.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Snubs US, Looks On To Build Economic Relations With China And Russia by Nobody: 11:03pm On Jun 26, 2013
akpomeme: USA has demonstrated that it has no regards for its international allies under President Obama. He has visited Africa once and boycotted Nigeria and plan to do so again. Consequent to this, Nigeria has decided to look elsewhere for friendly countries ready to do business with Nigeria.

Obama dont like Corrupt niggas!
Re: Nigeria Snubs US, Looks On To Build Economic Relations With China And Russia by Nobody: 11:22pm On Jun 26, 2013
You guys are forgetting the op is a liar trying to say GEJ is being strong internationally and blu blah blah.. No where in the sources posted by the op does it insinuate that GEJ is going to Russia and China to look for allies. Wasn't it same GEJ that told an American and Obama that he lacks the skills to govern?

Please op, spare us your bullish, your value isn't going to increase.

You just assumed and expect people to take you serious without providing evidence that what you assumed is reality.

In your desire to make your fantasized GEJ's performance a reality, you created another fantasy as evidence of a fantasy?
Re: Nigeria Snubs US, Looks On To Build Economic Relations With China And Russia by Rooneyboy(m): 12:05am On Jun 27, 2013
I'm so inlove with the reprisal gesture by Nigeria and Mr President.

NIGERIA-- A NO NONSENSE COUNTRY.
Re: Nigeria Snubs US, Looks On To Build Economic Relations With China And Russia by Nobody: 12:25am On Jun 27, 2013
Laughable.

How the hell can you snub something that's got you on the choke-hold? grin

That's like a slave with chains on his legs and neck saying he has snubbed his slave master/owner - incredible!! tongue undecided grin
Re: Nigeria Snubs US, Looks On To Build Economic Relations With China And Russia by doncaster(m): 12:33am On Jun 27, 2013
Wallie:

Dude, do you know how many mom and pop stores closed due to Walmart? Do you think people would rather work for someone that pays $7-8/hr or $10-$12 per hour? If Walmart shut its doors today, by midnight little stores will pop up to fill the vacuum.

See the effects of Walmart below:
http://www.larouchepub.com/other/2003/3045walmart_iowa.html
yes they will pop up but where are going to source for their merchandize? In US? that will not come cheap hence they will close shop again leaving Americans without wall mart and no mum/pop stores. America are not doing china a favour by buying their goods rather they are buying from where their consumers can afford. If plasma/lcd tvs are being produced in US or Germany many house hold around the world will still be using boxed black and white at the moment.
Re: Nigeria Snubs US, Looks On To Build Economic Relations With China And Russia by sEyi6: 12:55am On Jun 27, 2013
Good to see that Nigeria is diverting her too much dependence away from the west. But we should not be too glad because those we are going to meet or should I say bow to as our next boss "oga at the top", China too will one day or at a time begin to take for granted, by then we won't be able to survive without them and definitely find it very difficult to return to out former 'savior'. Not until we find a lasting solution of less dependence on others for things/products/services we cannot do without before countries give us the little respect we deserve.
Not until we start serious production and have something to boast of that other countries can't do without, we will remain a begging nation. Everyday, our major source of survival "oil" keeps loosing its value in the world market, this we are mute about.
Let's assume countries discover alternative to this one thing we all put our lives on, what will be our fate?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FIRST Governor Since Lagos History To Have 3 Deputies Within A Span Of 8 Years / Biafranbushboy Delete Your Account Now / Why Do We Send Generated Power To National Grid And Receive A Fraction?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.