Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,072 members, 7,821,685 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:51 PM

Death-row Inmate Faces Firing-squad In Benin City - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Death-row Inmate Faces Firing-squad In Benin City (16751 Views)

Presidency Probes Death Of Tortured Inmate Over Patience Jonathan’s $3m / Soldiers & Criminal Execution(firing Squad)in Nigeria During Military Era (pix) / Nigerian Army Condemns Four More Soldiers To Death By Firing Squad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Death-row Inmate Faces Firing-squad In Benin City by mukina2: 1:00pm On Jun 26, 2013
A death row prisoner in Nigeria is due to be executed by firing squad later this week after prison authorities dragged him to the gallows where they hanged four other men on Monday night, Amnesty International has said.

They were the first known executions in the country since 2006.

Benin Prison authorities in Edo state had planned to hang the man along with the four others, but halted his execution after they realized his death sentence, imposed by a military tribunal, required that a firing squad carry it out.

Amnesty International said it understands that neither the prisoners nor their families were told of the executions in advance. Secret executions, where prisoners, families and lawyers are not informed beforehand, violate international standards on the use of the death penalty.

“Cruel and inhumane do not even begin to describe the nightmare situation facing this man – and it points to the spectacularly brutal nature of Nigeria’s sudden return to state-sponsored killing,” said Lucy Freeman, deputy Africa director at Amnesty International.

“The resumption of executions in Nigeria is deplorable and extremely worrying. Edo state authorities have already executed four men this week and still plan to execute a fifth – the Nigerian authorities must immediately halt all executions and return to the moratorium on the death penalty that was previously in place.”

The four men hanged at Benin Prison last night still had appeals pending in their cases. Their executions came only hours after a federal High Court had dismissed a lawsuit against three of the execution warrants. The Edo state Attorney General and the prison authorities ignored an appeal and application for stay of execution filed immediately after the judgement. By executing the prisoners, Nigeria has demonstrated a gross disregard for the rule of law and respect for the judicial process.

The fifth man, sentenced by military tribunal, was never able to appeal his original sentence because military tribunals at the time denied defendants the right to appeal – itself a violation of fair trial standards and international law.

Under Nigerian and international law, executions may not be carried out while any appeals are still pending.

“Authorities at Benin Prison simply disregarded the due process requirements under law and in a cold-blooded move they denied the inmates an opportunity to exercise their rights,” said Ms Freeman.

The fifth man who is to face a firing squad has been on death row for 17 years, and was sentenced to death by a military tribunal during the military rule in Nigeria before the return to democracy in 1999. Amnesty International has raised serious doubts about the fairness of trials during that period.

Of the more than 1,000 people currently on death row in the country, scores of others were also sentenced by military tribunals before 1999.
“That Nigeria has resumed executions for sentences passed by military tribunals only amplifies the disregard for human rights,” said Ms Freeman.
“At a time when West Africa and the world are moving away from the death penalty, it is very worrying that Nigeria’s President Goodluck Jonathan defies the clear international trend and has instead encouraged a step backwards for human rights.”

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2013/06/25/death-row-prisoner-to-be-executed-by-firing-squad-in-benin/
Re: Death-row Inmate Faces Firing-squad In Benin City by mikeywise(m): 1:02pm On Jun 26, 2013
Na wao, so they have not abolished capital punishment? this is 2013 oooo

1 Like

Re: Death-row Inmate Faces Firing-squad In Benin City by Policewoman(f): 1:11pm On Jun 26, 2013
RIP.
Re: Death-row Inmate Faces Firing-squad In Benin City by Okijajuju: 1:14pm On Jun 26, 2013
Yipikaye Muthafuckers... angry

Hopefully in your next life, you would act right and hussle legitimately like others.. angry

6 Likes

Re: Death-row Inmate Faces Firing-squad In Benin City by Capnd143(m): 1:15pm On Jun 26, 2013
i think the capital punishment should be reserved only for boko haram islamist

5 Likes

Re: Death-row Inmate Faces Firing-squad In Benin City by javipee: 1:16pm On Jun 26, 2013
shocked shocked shocked
Re: Death-row Inmate Faces Firing-squad In Benin City by bebe2(f): 1:18pm On Jun 26, 2013
disturbing, if only others will learn cry cry
Re: Death-row Inmate Faces Firing-squad In Benin City by Nobody: 1:19pm On Jun 26, 2013
mikeywise: Na wao, so they have not abolished capital punishment? this is 2013 oooo

Nonsense,I support Capital punishment 100% for those charged for capital offence.An eye for an eye is the best punishment for anyone that had taken another person's life.Imagine a situation where Shekau is caught and you want him to be set free despite the blood on his hand because we are in a democratic world ?

Before you start making it a Nigerian affair,the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA still has capital punishment in her consitution and Americans get killed for committing capital offence !

20 Likes

Re: Death-row Inmate Faces Firing-squad In Benin City by bellaberry: 1:19pm On Jun 26, 2013
Na wa o. I thought capital punishment is now a thing of the past?

May his soul rest in peace.
Re: Death-row Inmate Faces Firing-squad In Benin City by splashbaby(m): 1:20pm On Jun 26, 2013
Policewoman: RIP.
Nonsense is that all you deduce from the article?
Re: Death-row Inmate Faces Firing-squad In Benin City by xandy84: 1:21pm On Jun 26, 2013
Oga Jona could not fix electricity but he can urge the governors to sign death warrant.. Dis guy need to wake up tat capital punishment is been do away wit throughout the world nah
Re: Death-row Inmate Faces Firing-squad In Benin City by deshclones(m): 1:21pm On Jun 26, 2013
Capnd143: i think the capital punishment should be reserved only for boko haram islamist

Go and play with you toys or better still go and roll tyre on the street jare..this topic is beyond you...guess you have never been attacked or debased by robbers,rapist etc..thats why you are yarning opata here...

between i love this kind of death jare...its the best form of death..you are given time to make peace with your God,self and people...98% of those that die this way are usually at peace with themselves and the world..they always look calm and sober..nice way to die..i envy them..really do envy them..not like accident,robbery attack etc.

4 Likes

Re: Death-row Inmate Faces Firing-squad In Benin City by supaeagles(m): 1:22pm On Jun 26, 2013
Hmmm and I was thinking this thread was about the record label : death row (tupac/snoop/suge). Sorry for the men oh, hope they are at peace with themselves. Till we meet on the other side.

1 Like

Re: Death-row Inmate Faces Firing-squad In Benin City by kenbee(f): 1:22pm On Jun 26, 2013
May God have mercy on their souls
Re: Death-row Inmate Faces Firing-squad In Benin City by blackmann(m): 1:22pm On Jun 26, 2013
mikeywise: Na wao, so they have not abolished capital punishment? this is 2013 oooo

And so? If someone commits a crime punishable by death gets the death penalty, because we are now in 2013, that person must be spared? In that case, let them release the likes of Reverend King and if Shekau is caught, he should be given a mansion as a prison cell.

2 Likes

Re: Death-row Inmate Faces Firing-squad In Benin City by Barnich(m): 1:23pm On Jun 26, 2013
There is no other way better than this to treat a criminal. I thank the Edo state judiciary for taking this bold step toward eradicating cime and criminals in our dear country.

4 Likes

Re: Death-row Inmate Faces Firing-squad In Benin City by makapella(m): 1:23pm On Jun 26, 2013
front page.....kill dem all..wish dey could stay to watch me put a smile on their faces
Re: Death-row Inmate Faces Firing-squad In Benin City by Henrypraise: 1:24pm On Jun 26, 2013
Dos hu killed by d sword will die by d sword, but d diff is dat due process will be followed, y has nigeria not followed due process? GEJ be careful lest karma catched up wit u like it did to Murtala
Re: Death-row Inmate Faces Firing-squad In Benin City by freecocoa(f): 1:26pm On Jun 26, 2013
Oh well!

If you can't do the time then please don't do the crime.
Re: Death-row Inmate Faces Firing-squad In Benin City by carzola(m): 1:27pm On Jun 26, 2013
We can't have capital punishment witout a free and fare judiciary.. What about are politicians who steal are money, use are brothers and sisters for rituals, and so many other crimes do they fall under capital punishment "NO" Is d more masses who don't have acess to lawyers, Good trials tham suffer please nigerians lets wake up and fight this unconstitunal governance we have today.
Re: Death-row Inmate Faces Firing-squad In Benin City by warrikid(m): 1:29pm On Jun 26, 2013
I honestly don't see the sense in the secret execution. If these people were proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt,then I think its only fair to inform all parties involved and it should be done in the open. That's d reason amnesty international is speaking out against it.
Re: Death-row Inmate Faces Firing-squad In Benin City by cashkid18(m): 1:29pm On Jun 26, 2013
Rip 2 d followin brethern!!crime does nt pay
Re: Death-row Inmate Faces Firing-squad In Benin City by Classicalman(m): 1:31pm On Jun 26, 2013
splashbaby: Nonsense is that all you deduce from the article?
You must be a compound idi0t. What else did you want her to say to a condemned criminal going for execution?

1 Like

Re: Death-row Inmate Faces Firing-squad In Benin City by johnstar(m): 1:32pm On Jun 26, 2013
rest in p**sy lipsrsealed
Re: Death-row Inmate Faces Firing-squad In Benin City by Nobody: 1:32pm On Jun 26, 2013
What's about Rev King?
Re: Death-row Inmate Faces Firing-squad In Benin City by Akeud(m): 1:33pm On Jun 26, 2013
If it's for the sake of boko boys, this is good. But if not, let's embrace civilization.
Re: Death-row Inmate Faces Firing-squad In Benin City by mikeywise(m): 1:35pm On Jun 26, 2013
~Bluetooth:

Nonsense,I support Capital punishment 100% for those charged for capital offence.An eye for an eye is the best punishment for anyone that had taken another person's life.Imagine a situation where Shekau is caught and you want him to be set free despite the blood on his hand because we are in a democratic world ?

Before you start making it a Nigerian affair,the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA still has capital punishment in her consitution and Americans get killed for committing capital offence !

where in my post did i suggest freedom for those charged for capital offence?
by the way, whose that "nonsense" meant for?

1 Like

Re: Death-row Inmate Faces Firing-squad In Benin City by AbuMikey(m): 1:35pm On Jun 26, 2013
Abeg make dem kill the man jor!!
Re: Death-row Inmate Faces Firing-squad In Benin City by LEvuls(m): 1:38pm On Jun 26, 2013
Wot abt self death sentence?

5 Likes

Re: Death-row Inmate Faces Firing-squad In Benin City by mikeywise(m): 1:39pm On Jun 26, 2013
blackmann:

And so? If someone commits a crime punishable by death gets the death penalty, because we are now in 2013, that person must be spared? In that case, let them release the likes of Reverend King and if Shekau is caught, he should be given a mansion as a prison cell.

where in my post did i suggest freedom for those charged for capital offence?

what happens to life imprisonment? (make sure u dont misquote me next time please)thanks
Re: Death-row Inmate Faces Firing-squad In Benin City by Lilimax(f): 1:39pm On Jun 26, 2013
Ijogz K: What's about Rev King?
Read he has been going about hosting crusades lipsrsealed
Re: Death-row Inmate Faces Firing-squad In Benin City by redcliff: 1:43pm On Jun 26, 2013
~Bluetooth:

[size=14pt]Atleast not by painful means. The United States have the Electrocution (which i doubt they still use) and gas Chamber or via poisons injected into their system and they doze off and die. [/size]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

INEC Meets ASUU On Friday, Considers Recalling Ex-corps Members For Election / NJC recommends appointment of 4 Supreme Court Justices, probes 8 others / LASG Set To Auction Vehicles Impounded For Violation Of Traffic Law

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.