Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,469 members, 7,812,438 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:21 PM

Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? - Career (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? (76908 Views)

Difference Between B Tech And B Sc Accounting / That Act Of Discrimination By Virgin Atlantic Airways / HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Gamesmart: 3:07pm On Dec 20, 2009
Hnd-holder:

Because I do not attend university I was denied from marry a lardy. British brought HND and they Honor it. American had TECHNOLOGIST and the courses in technology they also honour it. Nigerian bought both the American system and that of British, those of us who are fools fell into it and we are regretting the polytechnic education.  American had polytechnic university while Nigerians own is colledge of Technology.
CLOSE DOWN THE POLYTECHNICS NIGERIAN DO NOT WANT IT.

Me too. Na suffer for this thing.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by kodewrita(m): 11:20pm On Jan 20, 2010
zebra:

i still put it to you that the volume of work you do to get a Bsc is less than that of the HND in nigeria.

Its not about quantity but about quality.

Its about action guided by proper advanced thought as against mechanical practical repetition. Its about the difference between artists and artisans. The difference between being simply mechanics and being inventive and innovative engineers.

Anywhere in the world, you TECHNOLOGISTS man the machines, we ENGINEERS tell YOU WHAT TO DO

1 Like

Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by zebra(m): 6:18pm On Jan 22, 2010
kodewrita:

Its not about quantity but about quality.

Its about action guided by proper advanced thought as against mechanical practical repetition. Its about the difference between artists and artisans. The difference between being simply mechanics and being inventive and innovative engineers.

Anywhere in the world, you TECHNOLOGISTS man the machines, we ENGINEERS tell YOU WHAT TO DO

We are talking about Nigeria pls. In Nigeria, Engineers have not lived up to expectation; they have failed the nation. The Technologists are trying their best to live up to expectation if you care to know.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by kodewrita(m): 4:48pm On Jan 23, 2010
I work in a company where Nigerian engineers pull off great feats every few months. Engineers in my company routinely fabricate massive installations and produce them entirely within Nigeria. So don't try to negate what I see on a daily basis. Nigeria is simply a mentally poor country, thats why we are the way we are not because Engineers fail.

In the last six months since I joined, I have met more innovative mechanical, chemical, electrical and structural engineers than ever. This country is f**cking talented (forgive the obscenity but you just have to see what some of these guys do on a daily basis). My instructors even bemoan the fact that my company went out to steal all the first class brains from the university. I see what these guys do on a daily basis and yet you tell me you can match up to that with your HND(oops That was too direct. sorry but it had to be said).

We fail because we allow sentiment to rule instead of reason. We fail because we are content not to develop ourselves further but to bemoan our fate instead. We fail because our youth would rather bemoan their fate instead of taking life with both hands.

Face reality and dont spend the next 10 years bemoaning your fate. Some of my bosses started as HND but by secretly going to night school or part-time or study leave, they have gotten degrees and even gotten as far as PHds. The money they make is more than some of the graduates that started work at the same time they left the polytechnic.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Go back to school (whether openly or quietly) and assure your future.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by zebra(m): 8:03am On Jan 25, 2010
kodewrita:

I work in a company where Nigerian engineers pull off great feats every few months. Engineers in my company routinely fabricate massive installations and produce them entirely within Nigeria. So don't try to negate what I see on a daily basis. Nigeria is simply a mentally poor country, thats why we are the way we are not because Engineers fail.

In the last six months since I joined, I have met more innovative mechanical, chemical, electrical and structural engineers than ever. This country is f**cking talented (forgive the obscenity but you just have to see what some of these guys do on a daily basis). My instructors even bemoan the fact that my company went out to steal all the first class brains from the university. I see what these guys do on a daily basis and yet you tell me you can match up to that with your HND(oops That was too direct. sorry but it had to be said).

We fail because we allow sentiment to rule instead of reason. We fail because we are content not to develop ourselves further but to bemoan our fate instead. We fail because our youth would rather bemoan their fate instead of taking life with both hands.

Face reality and dont spend the next 10 years bemoaning your fate. Some of my bosses started as HND but by secretly going to night school or part-time or study leave, they have gotten degrees and even gotten as far as PHds. The money they make is more than some of the graduates that started work at the same time they left the polytechnic.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Go back to school (whether openly or quietly) and assure your future.

See your self? No reference to the Technologists and Technicians? Can any engineering team be complete without Technologists and Technicians??
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by kodewrita(m): 8:15am On Jan 25, 2010
@Zebra, they are implied but those feats occur not because they conceive those ideas but because they implement them. THATS THEIR DUTY.

My uncle owns an electrical engineering company and nearly went bankrupt cos he decided to give a HND graduate the benefit of the doubt. THe guy's practical skill was not in question, but theoretically he had issues. He could not bill contracts appropriately, could not write a technical report well enough (not even to save his life). I mean all those small things you are taught in a university aside your main course. He had none.

Moral: Their practical skills are not in question. Its that extra theoretical depth that they lack. Thats what companies need. Besides most companies are headed by graduates and the tendency is to consider anyone without a degree as not up to standard. Graduates face the same problem when companies are headed by first class graduates who want only first class or second class upper.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by zebra(m): 4:56pm On Jan 25, 2010
kodewrita:

@Zebra, they are implied but those feats occur not because they conceive those ideas but because they implement them. THATS THEIR DUTY.

My uncle owns an electrical engineering company and nearly went bankrupt cos he decided to give a HND graduate the benefit of the doubt. THe guy's practical skill was not in question, but theoretically he had issues. He could not bill contracts appropriately, could not write a technical report well enough (not even to save his life). I mean all those small things you are taught in a university aside your main course. He had none.
Moral: Their practical skills are not in question. Its that extra theoretical depth that they lack. Thats what companies need. Besides most companies are headed by graduates and the tendency is to consider anyone without a degree as not up to standard. Graduates face the same problem when companies are headed by first class graduates who want only first class or second class upper.

The guy probably was not a good polytechnic graduate with HND.

They also teach all those things you mentioned in the polytechnics. In my own experience and case most of my friends with HND in Engineering write technical reports excellently.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by oranto(m): 8:50am On Mar 29, 2010
Hi All,

Nice post. With regards to the aforementioned topic, I will drop a line or two.

Having graduated with an HND ( Upper credit )  Elect/Elect in 2004, I was quick to discover the discrimination. In my case I was fortunate to leave the shores of naija to UK to further educate myself.  I left during my service year. It is sad this discrimination still persists today.

Presently I have used the HND certificate to my advantage. HOW ?,  you might ask . I was able to do a top up to get a degree  and further did an MSc. On the contrary, the so called Naija Uni graduate cannot do a top up cos he already has his degree.

The best part is, I graduated with distinctions in all and have been opportuned to be interviewed by the best multinational companies here, Siemens, AXA , Capgemini amongst others

The funny thing is here in the western world NOBODY recognises the Nigerian certificate. It is completely worthless. You need their own before they call  you their own.

The advantage I now have is that I have successfully knocked out all Naija certificates from my CV and presently I can easily study amongst the best institutions in the world.

So my advice to all HNDs, never be deterred and make the best with what you have.

Cheers smiley
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by brusher: 12:39pm On Mar 29, 2010
how successful a man is does not depend on the certificates he possesses i am an hnd holder and by Gods grace am a multi millionaire working in a multinational firm as an executive.certificates do aid your rise in life but what makes you stand out is what you can do with what you have gathered from school .I went to yaba college of technology, please check your records hnd graduates from these schools have really shown their prowess even other schools but the most important thing is not to relent,bsc or hnd i feel are documents which should not be discriminated against, but if you are told ur inferior then prove to your self that you are not.polytechnics were built to bring out the technological minds in the world ,use this to achieve greatness instead of sulking on which certificate is better .you are who you make yourself at least most people who are multi billionaires today are drop outs or didnt even go to school.

In a nutshell upgrade yourself technically and professionally .hnd or bsc is just a stepping stone.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by oranto(m): 12:54pm On Mar 29, 2010
@ brusher, well said
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by zebra(m): 12:57pm On Mar 29, 2010
Guy, lets not decieve ourselves, Bsc holders are enjoying themselves everywhere. They give them priority in almost every industries, ministries and schools. If you are about to go for HND please i beg you in God's name to drop that idea, preferably, take JAMB again and start from 100 levels in the university; it will save you the discrimination HND holders pass through in future.

Thank you.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by kodewrita(m): 1:03pm On Mar 29, 2010
@Zebra, Much respect
@Brusher, more power to your elbows. Zebra has said it all.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by zebra(m): 3:20pm On Mar 29, 2010
kodewrita:

@Zebra, Much respect
@Brusher, more power to your elbows. Zebra has said it all.

guy i have argued this with you before, but i have come to realise that the HND stuff is useless. infact the ND certificate has more value than it. HND in Nigeria is just a waste of resources. Let them cancell and abolish it please so that more nigerians will not fall victims.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by brusher: 1:38pm On May 17, 2010
i wish u all well smiley
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by basking4me: 3:23pm On May 18, 2010
What Oranto has said is indeed well said.

We are here bothering our heads with which is more supreme between the HND and the B.Sc whereas in the international scene, Nigerian qualifications are not Seen.

To make it worse, even local companies in Nigeria rate international qualifications higher than local certificates when it comes to recruitments.

Reason, I agree with Oranto's stand that local qualifications should be discarded and more global qualifications should be sought after to provide one with a global outlook.

We are in a global village now, so whatever your qualification, you will and should be competing on a global level.

The good thing again is that there are now online versions of various international qualifications from B.SC to Phd's. You can also align with certifications.

They are a smart and good way to quick global knowledge acquisition.

You can do an Online Masters in Project Management for about 2-3yrs or attend a project management training locally in Nigeria and take the international certification at a prometric centre here.

Either way, you are still in Nigeria but with an international qualification.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by kessgoddey: 4:10am On May 24, 2010
We dont know
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by ishmael(m): 11:01am On May 26, 2010
i wonder why they still discriminate even after they said government themselves have settled it. Even government ministries and parastatals discriminate against HND holders during employment. They give HND holders level 07 while Degree holders ae given level 08. it hurts.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 11:37am On Dec 22, 2011
Let us take government to court
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by AjanleKoko: 3:54pm On Dec 22, 2011
More credits at O Level. Yeah, that should count for something undecided
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 4:46pm On Dec 22, 2011
Entry requirement at ND level now is five credit.
HND require ND, + At least a year experience+ five credits
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Rolax: 7:10pm On Mar 12, 2013
I am tired of shouting over this disparity. I have HND upper credit in Electrical Engrg from Federal Poly. Nekede. Absorbing negligence from someone I am better than is one luxury I cannot afford. With my ND, I am working in one of much-hunted multinational companies in Nigeria while completing my B.Eng in the University (possibly First Class). People instead of belittling HND grauates should instead be jealous of them.They have ample job opportunities and can also go for Degrees easily unlike their Uni.counterparts. If Nigeria fail to recognise me,at least I can recognise myself.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Adomamore: 12:49am On Jun 27, 2013
I just cant stop laughing at those who said that entry criteria is what makes the university better than the polytechnics. The irony is that there are so many people with 7distiction and one credit at WAEC level in the polytechnics. Others. Said the quality of lecturers are different but most of the lecturers in the polytechnics were trained in the universities. Are they saying that those lecturers were not given quality education by the university to be able to train poly students? The truth is that we are a backward nation that is why we openly celebrate boko haram and militants. Can any one here tell me the difference between engineering and technology? If the difference is mathematics then the HND and B Tech are the same because the new HND curriculum in engineering treat all aspect of mathematics and focus more on its application. It is just like discriminating between some one who read pure mathematics and another who read applied mathematics. Technology is simply applied engineering , that is just the difference. Not that one is inferior to another. I know a lot of BSC holders are ignorant about this fact. Rather than go into research to understand the difference, they exhibit their ignorance in a public forum . Most lecturers in the polytechnics with university degrees are people who have worked in industries who are exposed to practical knowledge . You cannot graduate from the university and just become a lecturer in the polytechnic. How will you cope. You must be able to demonstrate what you are teaching practically.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Adomamore: 8:58am On Jun 27, 2013
Federal University of Petroleum Resource Effurun
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Federal University of Petroleum Resource Effurun (FUPRE) in Delta State, Nigeria was established and approved by the Federal Executive Council meeting of 14 March, 2007 and admitted its first set of undergraduates in 2008.
The university was established under the Federal Government of Nigeria initiative to build a specialized university in the Niger Delta to produce manpower and expertise for the oil and gas sector in Nigeria and worldwide.
The University operates a collegiate system.
The National Universities Commission(NUC) approved sharing of facilities between the Petroleum Training Institute Effurun and FUPRE until it moves to its permanent site on development of its main campus at Ugbomro,Uvwie Local Government Area. The Petroleum Training Institute (PTI) Effurun, Delta state serves as the temporary campus of the University.
Contents  [hide] 
1 Administrative structure
2 Faculties
2.1 Departments and courses
3 External links
Administrative structure[edit]

The administrative structure of the university consists of:
Chancellor
Principal Officers of the University
Members of the Governing Council
Faculties[edit]

The institution has a Collegiate system which will be developed in three phases over a period of six years
The College of Science is the Foundation College;
The College of Technology in the second phase of development.
The College of Management Sciences has been earmarked for the third phase of development.
The College of Science and College of Technology has started running courses for its academic session while the College of Management Sciences will commence at a later date.
Departments and courses[edit]
The main focus is petroleum engineering and technology related courses such as:
Chemistry
Environmental science
Industrial Chemistry
Geophysics
Geology
Marine Engineering
Mathematical Science
Mechanical Engineering
Physics
Computer Science
Electrical/Electronics
Petroleum Engineering
Chemical Engineering
The school moved to it permanent site in 2010. The first V.C of the school is Prof BABATUNDE ALABI
External links[edit]

National Universities Commission of Nigeria
Federal University of Petroleum Resource Effurun

This article on a Nigerian institution of higher education is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.
]
Categories: Nigerian university stubsUniversities and colleges in NigeriaGovernment of NigeriaEducational institutions established in 20072007 establishments in Nigeria
SEE HOW A UNIVERSITY BEG TO USE FACILITIES OF A SCHOOL THAT AWARD HND. I LEARNT THAT THE PTI HAS SENT THEM PACKING FOR INCOVENIENCIES. THEY NOW TRAVEL TO AN UNCOMPLETED CAMPUS OF DELSU FOR PRACTICALS WHICH IS DONE ONCE IN A SEMESTER. THESE STUDENTS WILL GRADUATE AT THE END OF THE DAY AND CLAIM TO BE BETTER THAN PTI HND GRADUATES. NIGERIA IS A JOKE

2 Likes

Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by drdams: 3:28pm On Jul 11, 2013
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 9:09am On Nov 25, 2013
Discrimination continued
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by acorntree(m): 12:41am On May 19, 2015
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Buhari15135: 7:34pm On May 21, 2018
No discrimination b/w technologists and Engineers, cos the two ar designed to achieve diff goal.
The problems only arise wen middle class claims wat he does nt deserved, which he can never get.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by connectboi(m): 8:05pm On Sep 19, 2018
PLEASE MY BROTHER IN THE HOUSE I NEED AN ADVICE

I JUST CONCLUDE MY ND PROGRAM AS MECHANICAL ENGINEERING STUDENT PROCEEDING FOR IT.
NO THIS IS WHERE THE PROBLEM COMES
Now my mother said there is not enough money to further because I have lots of siblings
1. I HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY OF SEEING A JOB WORTH 50000# as salary
2. I want to have my bsc in mechanical engineering after one year of IT and 22years old now
What should I do pls my BROTHER in the house
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 9:08am On Sep 21, 2018
connectboi:
PLEASE MY BROTHER IN THE HOUSE I NEED AN ADVICE

I JUST CONCLUDE MY ND PROGRAM AS MECHANICAL ENGINEERING STUDENT PROCEEDING FOR IT.
NO THIS IS WHERE THE PROBLEM COMES
Now my mother said there is not enough money to further because I have lots of siblings
1. I HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY OF SEEING A JOB WORTH 50000# as salary
2. I want to have my bsc in mechanical engineering after one year of IT and 22years old now
What should I do pls my BROTHER in the house
Get the N50K job. Help your mother and do your HND on part-time then do PGD or HND top up to convert your HND to Degree. Register as Engineer go on with your life.
Bsc is costly and you may not do well for lack of found. Many had Bsc Mechanical Engineering doing nothing with it.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 9:15am On Sep 21, 2018
Buhari15135:
No discrimination b/w technologists and Engineers, cos the two ar designed to achieve diff goal.
The problems only arise wen middle class claims wat he does nt deserved, which he can never get.
define the middle class? Do not say what you do not know. This is politics back to a fight between Yaba tech boys and Returnee from UK. (Ozoro 1966)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University / Mutale Winfridah: Zambian Female Banker Suspended For Sleeping With 200 Men / Pharmacy Vs Nursing: Which Is More Lucrative?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.