Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,539 members, 7,812,675 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:21 PM

Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? - Career (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? (76914 Views)

Difference Between B Tech And B Sc Accounting / That Act Of Discrimination By Virgin Atlantic Airways / HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by ishmael(m): 7:44pm On Jul 04, 2007
Hnd-holder:

Polytechnic staff and Graduates needs value that is my own.

You are correct. Don't worry yar'adua will make dem have value very soon.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 7:42am On Jul 05, 2007
If you like call us anyname but give us value.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by ishmael(m): 3:44pm On Jul 05, 2007
Hnd-holder:

If you like call us anyname but give us value.

Yes o, just like Germany where they award Diploma and the value given to it is that of a Bachelors Degree. In Ireland too, Higher Diplama has a value that is more than that of a Bachelors Degree; its value is equivalent to that of a PGD.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by ishmael(m): 9:45am On Jul 09, 2007
and Nigerians respect and honour German Diploma.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 9:50am On Jul 09, 2007
Is Nigerian Diploma fake? we must call NAFDAC or ICPC to evaluate ND or HND then.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 10:07am On Jul 09, 2007
TERTIARY CONSOLIDATION

INITIATIVE
To convert all Federal Polytechnics and Colleges of Education into campuses of Neighbouring Federal universities

ADVANTAGES

Improve the carrying capacity of the universities, particularly given their inability to accommodate a vast number of applicants through JAMB. Experience worldwide has shown that no nation has achieved a technological and socio-political advance where less than 15% of its qualified young citizens have access to University education. The US has achieved over 80% access while in Europe the average is 35%.

Eliminate the desperate desire for University education as against other tertiary institutions.

Reduce huge overhead costs by consolidating:
the supervisory agencies (NUC, NBTE and NCCE).
the Boards of three parastatals and 37 Governing Councils.
Chief Executives, Registrars and other principal officers.

Improve funding to universities in areas of infrastructural and instructional facilities, research, scholarly publications and staff training and development through the consolidation of ETF intervention.

Improve teacher quality since eventually only those qualified to teach at University level will be engaged.

Improve the quality of intake thereby eliminating the problems associated with the “study centres/campuses” established by many universities nationwide before they were directed to close them down by the NUC.

Enhance the quality of the nation’s manpower.

ANTECEDENTS

The idea builds on a familiar historical tradition in Nigeria. Some universities started as campuses of other universities: UI (London), Jos and Ilorin (UI), BUK, ATBU (ABU), FUTY (Unimaid), Calabar (UNN) etc.

Some universities presently operate multiple campuses located in:
same city i.e. the ABU campuses at Congo and Samaru; or
Other cities within a reasonable distance such as the two UNN campuses at Enugu and Nsukka

As Advanced Teachers’ Colleges (ATCs), some of the COEs started as campuses of neighbouring universities eg ATC/ABU Kano and ATC/ABU Zaria. Today COE Zaria and the Congo Campus of ABU are only separated by a street. So too is COE Kano which is directly opposite the main gate of the city campus of BUK.

A number of Polytechnics and COEs are presently awarding degrees by affiliation. Until recently, some COEs (both Federal and State) were in fact awarding their NCEs by affiliation.

Please visit FME WEB SITE full documentation on TERTIARY CONSOLIDATION.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 10:31am On Jul 09, 2007
"Improve teacher quality since eventually only those qualified to teach at University level will be engaged."

This is why ASUP are fighting

Improve the quality of intake thereby eliminating the problems associated with the “study centres/campuses” established by many universities nationwide before they were directed to close them down by the NUC.

Enhance the quality of the nation’s manpower.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by ishmael(m): 10:59am On Jul 09, 2007
we still need polytechnics in nigeria; its the certificate that we want FG to change.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by ishmael(m): 5:27pm On Jan 09, 2008
Will nigeria as a developing country ever cross the thin line between developing and developed and enter developed fully without polytechnics?? Look at Taiwan, Malaysia and other countries, they are doing better.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 8:45am On Jan 10, 2008
Ghana Polytechnics now empowered to award degrees

http://www.myjoyonline.com/education/read.asp?contentid=4796
Polytechnics in the country have now been empowered to run Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) programmes following the passage of a new Polytechnic Act to that effect. A speech read on behalf of President J.A. Kufuor by the Minister of Education, Science and Sports, Papa Owusu Ankomah, at the sixth congregation of the Takoradi Polytechnic at the weekend said the act would also allow for further progression of holders of the Higher National Diploma (HND) along the academic ladder. Nine hundred and fifty graduands, comprising 741 males and 209 females, passed out. President Kufuor said“the act also introduced an innovation which gave academic autonomy to the polytechnics to introduce programmes in areas of comparative advantage to each polytechnic, taking into account regional needs and national aspirations. He said the government was undertaking policy initiatives to ensure that the polytechnics and other sister institutions functioned as envisaged in order to help attain national development goals. The President said the government, through the Ghana Education Trust Fund would continue to invest considerable amounts to provide physical infrastructure and other facilities to enhance teaching and learning on the various polytechnic campuses. He announced that for the 2007 financial year, the government had allocated ¢13.8 billion to the Takoradi Polytechnic for development projects. Currently, he said, the GETFund was funding the construction of a hostel block which would house up to 400 students on the campus of the School of Business Studies at Butumagyebu, President Kufuor stated that for the country to succeed there was the need to revitalize the mission of the polytechnics. “You have achieved
a lot, but remember that continued innovation and the permanent desire to achieve excellence lie at the heart of national renewal and transformation,” President Kufuor explained. The Chairman of the Polytechnic Council, Professor Daniel Mireku-Gyimah, said in the last five years the government ad continued to provide funds, through buildings and the provision of learning facilities at the polytechnic. He assured the GETFund Board that the Polytechnic council was committed to ensuring that all projects in the polytechnic were executed properly and at approved costs. Accordingly, the Council had resolved not to accept any shoddy work and also not to tolerate undue delay of projects in the polytechnic, Professor Mireku-Gyimah said.
Credit: Daily Graphic
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by ishmael(m): 10:01am On Jan 10, 2008
@Hnd-holder

This is what we call educational reforms, not the rubbish OBJ and his education minister did in Nigeria last year that eventually got cancelled by Yar'adua.

Let Nigeria do the same thing as Ghana. Why is it taking Nigeria a whole century to do such a thing?? After Nigerians dem go dey say Nigeria better pass Ghana, say Nigerians get sense pass Ghanaians. Na now i know say Ghana get sense pass Nigeria. Na wa o.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by thomasonih: 8:05pm On Jan 11, 2008
@Hnd-holder. I feel u ooo. I know a guy just because of the nonsense he went through with employers of labour as an Hnd holder. He eventually climb his way to the top. Since then he has simply refused to empoly Bsc graduate in his company.See level of hatred, God ! Save Nigeria.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by mosho4real(m): 4:48pm On Jan 12, 2008
It is just too un4tunate that our system is like dis, HND or BSC u are all on the right path but our govt are not sincere with we HND holder, but as for me i really thank GOD because i am presently working in a bank with my ND results in which i am still far better than "thousands" of BSC that are still roaming about the street 4 d past 4 years after their service.

Regards.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by ishmael(m): 11:39am On Jan 13, 2008
mosho4real:

It is just too un4tunate that our system is like this, HND or BSC u are all on the right path but our govt are not sincere with we HND holder, but as for me i really thank GOD because i am presently working in a bank with my ND results in which i am still far better than "thousands" of BSC that are still roaming about the street 4 d past 4 years after their service.

Regards.

Let me get you right. Is it that you have HND and you are working with your ND ow what?? If that's the case don't be happy o, because that is what we call under-employment.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 8:13am On Jan 14, 2008
They are just looking for slaves that is why they need the HND AS ONE. Sincerity is lacking.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by ishmael(m): 10:12pm On Jan 14, 2008
Let them stop the discrimination against polytechnic graduates, that's all we are asking for. A level playing ground is what we are asking for. If HND in Accountancy does better than Bsc in Accounting in any aptitude test, the job should be given to the HND Accountancy graduate and vice versa. If HND in QS does better than Bsc in QS, the job should be given to the HND guy, and vice versa. why all these discrimination in the 1st place??
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 8:49am On Jan 15, 2008
70% sceince and Engineering / 30% of the rest ( accountancy etc) now in the polytechnic
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by ishmael(m): 2:14pm On Jan 15, 2008
Hnd-holder:

70% sceince and Engineering / 30% of the rest ( accountancy etc) now in the polytechnic

Science and Engineering abi Science and Technology?? Sebi dem say Poly no dey run Engineering, but Engineering Technology??
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 2:27pm On Jan 15, 2008
The president of NSE today has HND from the polytechnic + PGD

call it engineering or Technology. It means the same thing
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 3:01pm On Jan 15, 2008
http://sociolingo./2007/12/22/nigeria-education-policy-more-questions-than-answers/

“As we await input from the Nigerian public through informed expanded stakeholders’ meeting ,
The expanded stakeholders’ meeting will also consider the possibility
of replacing the Higher National Diploma (HND), being awarded by
polytechnics with a Bachelor’s degree in Technology (B. Tech), while
the polytechnics remain as they are. The proposal to merge Federal Polytechnics and Colleges of Education into contiguous and proximate Federal Universities, he said, was “very flawed” and has since been frozen. But what about about the two
(Yaba College of Technology and Kaduna Polytechnic) that were proposed
to be universities?

Nigeria: Education Policy - More Questions Than Answers
Posted by sociolingo on December 22, 2007

Source: This Day Online
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by dot2002(m): 10:15pm On Jan 15, 2008
There's is no difference to be honest, but in Nigeria, the margin is really huge, in the real world it makes no difference. You happy now grin
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by ishmael(m): 9:06am On Jan 16, 2008
dot2002:

There's is no difference to be honest, but in Nigeria, the margin is really huge, in the real world it makes no difference. You happy now grin

There is difference. They said HND people acquire skills while Bsc holders acquire knowledge; that's what i heard some of dem saying o.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 9:17am On Jan 16, 2008
Technological skill as MIDLE LEVEL man power?
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by ishmael(m): 10:47am On Jan 16, 2008
Hnd-holder:

Technological skill as MIDLE LEVEL man power?

Middle-level man power refers to ND and not HND.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 3:36pm On Jan 16, 2008
How do we change this error of opinion
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by hamabra(m): 5:28pm On Jan 16, 2008
if we can find our cries into the rite ear am sure sometin will be done
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by ndelta1(m): 6:32pm On Jan 16, 2008
dear all,

I don't care if there discrimination or not all I know is that, my God dey, and i am for something special, am an HND holder in Electrical Power and Machine, and am into Computer Hardware and Printer Repair, also into conduit wiring and marketing business,

NO probs my bros and sister, your Certificate is not the yardstick or measure of what your success will be, be yourself and don't be lazy,

I personally trade my way to school all by me self, with the prayers of my parent.

Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by smtprince(m): 11:30am On Jan 17, 2008
@N_delta
you dont have to display ur pix for us all.

abi u get another intention, you see the reason they discriminate cus only an HND holder would do what you just did, guy wake up and get universal. ok

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed don't wanna talk lipsrsealed
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by dot2002(m): 2:43pm On Jan 17, 2008
Ishmael, skill nd knowledge one gained the first in polytechnic and the other in university cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by ishmael(m): 7:32pm On Jan 17, 2008
dot2002:

Ishmael, skill nd knowledge one gained the first in polytechnic and the other in university cheesy cheesy cheesy

My sista, na so people dey talk o. They said people who attend polytechnics acquire enough skills with little knowledge, while those who attend universities acquire enough knowledge with just liitle skills. They said university means universal, so they learn much there than polytechnics.

God dey sha.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 3:47pm On Jan 22, 2008
Tuesday, January 22, 2008
http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/letters/article01//indexn3_html?pdate=220108&ptitle=Discrimination%20against%20HND%20holders&cpdate=220108
Discrimination against HND holders

SIR: Please, permit me to draw your attention to the ongoing discrimination against Higher National Diploma (HND) holders in both the public and private sectors. It will be recalled that Polytechnics and Colleges of Education in Nigeria were established to produce technocrats in order to reduce the level of unemployment in Nigeria. Today less attention is given to most of these polytechnics and colleges of education to achieve the desired goals of having the HND graduates in the society.

As you are quite aware, HND holders spend more years in the institution than BSc. holders because it is mandatory for all HND holders to first undergo a two-year National Diploma (ND) programme before proceeding on one year Industrial Attachment and later they go back to the institution for the HND programme which also takes two years before proceeding for one year NYSC service. In simple arithmetic, HND holders spend six years in the course of acquiring HND certificates.

It is therefore very shocking to note that HND holders are not accorded equal status in terms of employment, promotion, conversion, etc in the Federal and State Civil Service even if an HND holders possess "Post Graduate Diploma (PGD) and Masters degree in a relevant field of studies. In the Federal Civil Service today, BSc. holders are accorded more recognition with their first appointment as Administrative Officers on (Salary Grade Level 08) and this gives them the chance to progress in the service up-to the rank of Permanent Secretary while HND holders are normally employed as Executive Officers on (Salary Grade Level 07) even when the HND holders have distinction or upper credit.

The career progression of HND holders in the Federal Civil Service today terminates at Chief Executive Officer on (Salary Grade Level 14) and this also includes those who possess (PGD) and (Masters Degree) in the service. It is pertinent to also note that commercial banks in Nigeria no longer employ the services of HND holders. And yet there are no existing rules and regulations either in the Federal Civil Services or the Nigerian Constitution that encourage this kind of discrimination against HND holders.

In a related development, the career progression in the Office of the Accountant General of the Federation is quite different from that of the Federal Civil Service. For example, in the Office of the Accountant General, HND holders with one year certificate in ANAN are appointed or promoted to the rank of Accountant 1 on (Salary grade level 09).

Also HND holders with one year certificate in ICAN are appointed or promoted to the rank of Senior Accountant on (Salary Grade Level 10). These two progressions enable staff to become a Director or the Permanent Secretary. The process of conversion for HND holders in the office of the Accountant General with additional qualification is also very easy.

There is the urgent need for you to call for a meeting with other relevant stakeholders such as the National Assembly, the Federal Civil Service Commission, and Head of Civil Service of the Federation to harmonise the issue and if possible issue a circular on the way forward. If urgent steps are not taken now to address the anomalies, this might continue to affect the holders of HND certificates in Nigeria and parents may stop sending their children to polytechnics and colleges of education.

Ismaila Hassan,

Abuja, FCT.

Tools
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 3:52pm On Jan 22, 2008
They were thinking it was only the problem of HND Engineering then.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University / Mutale Winfridah: Zambian Female Banker Suspended For Sleeping With 200 Men / Pharmacy Vs Nursing: Which Is More Lucrative?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.