Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,021 members, 7,821,559 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:02 PM

Fct Bans Smoking In Public - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fct Bans Smoking In Public (1772 Views)

El-rufai's Eating Of Sugarcane In Public Justified By World Leaders (photos) / List Of Senatorial Candidates For The 36 States And FCT And Their QUALIFICATION / Lagos Prohibits Smoking In Public – Law Now In Effect (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fct Bans Smoking In Public by mutiu78(m): 4:41pm On May 14, 2008
With effect from 31 May, 2008, smokers who indulge in the act in public places within the Federal Capital Territory risk jail terms if arrested.

More here http://thepmnews.com/2008/05/14/fct-bans-smoking-in-public

Re: Fct Bans Smoking In Public by 1luvkipsus: 6:16pm On May 14, 2008
Is this all the non - performing Minister could do? What's he doing about the Okada and street urchins that have staged a come - back to Abuja? That man is some digusting and useless guy who cannot tell his right from left.
Re: Fct Bans Smoking In Public by angel101(f): 7:45pm On May 14, 2008
lol
Re: Fct Bans Smoking In Public by BlackMamba(m): 9:06pm On May 14, 2008
Banning smoking in "public" is different from "public places". I hope that is the case. I can't imagine arresting someone smoking in the street.
Re: Fct Bans Smoking In Public by manmustwac(m): 11:08pm On May 14, 2008
so what about poverty corruption unemployment etc? is to ban smoking in public places the best he can do?
Re: Fct Bans Smoking In Public by bawomolo(m): 11:19pm On May 14, 2008
nothing bad with the law.
Re: Fct Bans Smoking In Public by chikeze(m): 10:06am On May 15, 2008
na wa ooo! nothing wey we no go hear for dis country called nigeria. lets see how dat will work in this country lipsrsealed
Re: Fct Bans Smoking In Public by HRhotness(f): 10:08am On May 15, 2008
Nigerian government needs to get their priorities straight angry

smoking is least of the nations problems undecided
Re: Fct Bans Smoking In Public by TLolive: 1:39am On May 17, 2008
HR.hotness:

Nigerian government needs to get their priorities straight angry

smoking is least of the nations problems undecided

little drops of water forms a mighty ocean.
second hand smoke, even if it doesn't compare to curing AIDS, is a problem. I'm happy it's been addressed.

I hope the OP meant "Public places" rather than "public." Big difference.
Re: Fct Bans Smoking In Public by Nobody: 2:04am On May 17, 2008
Good!!!!
Re: Fct Bans Smoking In Public by savanaha: 2:04am On May 17, 2008
Wouldn't it be funny if he meant public and not public places?
The government has finally found a way to reduce electricity outage and bring water to every home all by banning public smoking, see I told you with time the government will. . .

While am all about stopping second hand smoke the Nigerian government has an [b]A[/b]ttention [b]D[/b]eficit [b]H[/b]yper [b]D[/b]isoder policy where they will focus on minor things rather than the meat of the matter.
Re: Fct Bans Smoking In Public by cola: 6:57am On May 17, 2008
the way some chaps reason here in this virtual cyber community makes me fear for the future of the Nigerian community
Or is it just that most intelligent young nigerians don't have the time for this kind of cyber community?

Agreed, there is still no electricity and there are street urchins,

so every other thing must be put on hold until power problem is resolved and all urchins rehabilitated!

even if second-hand smoking is a serious health issue?

without any intent to condescend, it's just that it's difficult sometimes to ignore some folks here!
Re: Fct Bans Smoking In Public by bebure(m): 3:39pm On Jul 10, 2008
cola:

the way some chaps reason here in this virtual cyber community makes me fear for the future of the Nigerian community
Or is it just that most intelligent young nigerians don't have the time for this kind of cyber community?

so every other thing must be put on hold until power problem is resolved and all urchins rehabilitated!

without any intent to condescend, it's just that it's difficult sometimes to ignore some folks here!

God bless you oh! You hit the nail on the head. Whenever the government makes a positive move you have all sorts of people asking " is that the best they can do?". We need to show our appreciation for any positive steps taken by the government. Pa sisi. Please. Ejo. Do.
Re: Fct Bans Smoking In Public by Kobojunkie: 3:44pm On Jul 10, 2008
cola:

Do you really think that the Nigerian whose daily fix is the smoke he gets really cares if smoking is what will take him out of misery? Come on!! Try to be realistic. These people are right, There are higher priorities. I mean more people die in that country from malaria and other more easily preventable issues than those who die from second hand smoke. That being said, it is a good move and I hope it works.
Re: Fct Bans Smoking In Public by buchio7(m): 7:30pm On Jul 10, 2008
I really believe the minister shd face more telling issues that are creeping back into abuja rather than "public smoking" , a few months back there was a lot of talk frm him abt banning alcohol intake in "public places" now its smoking,

there are urgent social/infrastructural lapses that are rearing there ugly heads in abj e.g. the litter,the illegal markets,e.t.c.

let him tackle these issues headlong rather dan chasing shadows,
Re: Fct Bans Smoking In Public by LASIEFAIRE(m): 7:34pm On Jul 10, 2008
cola:

gbam, Great post.
many Nigerians and negativity,
Re: Fct Bans Smoking In Public by bibiking1(m): 8:45pm On Jul 10, 2008
So much for freewil!
Why the hell do they want to do something like that?
If Public places is what they say, then i can live with that, but if they mean public then they oughtta have their heas changed!
Re: Fct Bans Smoking In Public by peekayo: 8:59pm On Jul 10, 2008
Is this the solution to the naija delta, the frauds, and getting rid of those thieves in the high positions in n9ja angry

Baba Go slow is a chain smoker, the members of the house now use the wash rooms for smoking, since its not a public place
Re: Fct Bans Smoking In Public by Ibime(m): 11:44pm On Jul 10, 2008
Hahahahaha . . . . . these jokers. First they should ban all these lorries whose exhaust pipe leak 100 times the caustic poison of cigarettes. Last time I went to Naija, all these lorry fumes nearly gave me asthma. We are still using unleaded petrol, poisoning everybodys lungs and these fools are talking about banning smoking. Must they copy everything from Europe? By my estimation, a 1 hr trip down any Nigerian road is equivalent to smoking 10 cigarettes. Bloody idiots. Second hand smoke is the least of our problems. They should deal with the first hand spewing out of peoples exhaust pipes first.

1 Like

Re: Fct Bans Smoking In Public by Kefuie: 11:11am On May 28, 2010
Exposure to secondhand smoke remains an alarming public health hazard. I think banning would be the solution. Banning would help:
- encourage smokers who want to quit smoking and experience stop smoking benefits

- reduce the image of smoking as a "cool" activity/ status symbol
- raise awareness of its dangers
- it is for the benefit of both smokers and non-smokers
- it is beneficial in the long run.

Re: Fct Bans Smoking In Public by Jakumo(m): 11:17am On May 28, 2010
First Hooker :   " Say, do you smoke after intimacy ? "

Second Hooker :  "How the phuck should I know ?    I never bothered to look down there. "
Re: Fct Bans Smoking In Public by chidichris(m): 10:54am On May 29, 2010
that is long overdue.

Re: Fct Bans Smoking In Public by reyvape: 12:50pm On Mar 20, 2018
Hello, i will advise you to get nicotine gums and an ecigarette that contains a significant amount of nicotine to help him quit smoking.
you can check on [url]reyvape.com[/url] , nigeria number one smoking accessories store
Re: Fct Bans Smoking In Public by tck2000(m): 3:39pm On Dec 14, 2019
Audio Ban

(1) (Reply)

National Shame! Nigerian Envoy In Public Fight …@ A Party In Namibia / Top Nigerian Official Steals Camera In China. / More Black Male In Jail In America

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.