Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,608 members, 7,823,639 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:50 PM

Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. (19906 Views)

Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) / Shoprite Ibadan Imports Banana And Watermelon From Ghana And SA / On Going Work At The Onitsha Shoprite And International Hotel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Donchyke39(m): 1:29pm On Jun 29, 2013
At last, construction work has started on the Onitsha branch of popular South African retail company Shoprite. Onitsha, the famous trading town, is the economic capital of Anambra State in South-East Nigeria.

Speaking today during an inspection of the project, the state governor, Mr. Peter Obi, promised that his administration would expand parts of the road in the area to further widen the access road to the International Shopping Mall.

He said the expansion of the road would be extended to the Onitsha General Hospital axis to enhance free-flow of traffic in the area, as well as to complement the on-going upgrading of infrastructure in Onitsha and environs.

The governor expressed satisfaction with the level of work at the kick off of the project and assured that all necessary infrastructures would be put in place to ensure smooth take-off of the facility. He announced that an Amusement Park would also be built in the area. The shopping mall is being executed under Public-Private Partnership (PPP).

Welcoming Governor Obi, a representative of the collaborating firm, Mr. Osita Okonkwo, assured that the shopping mall would be completed on schedule and according to specifications. He commended the governor for awarding the contract for the access road to the mall.

Also speaking, a representative of the Shoprite Group, Mr. Gerald Frits, said that when functional, the mall would reduce the cost of goods as they would be working with local farmers and suppliers in the state.

Frits noted that the facility would also provide a lot of employment opportunities, and commended the vision of Governor Obi in attracting high class investments to the state.

•Photo shows Governor Obi at the project site.
Source:http://www.newsexpressngr.com/news/detail.php?news=2106&title=Work-begins-on-Onitsha-Shoprite

Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by chino11(m): 1:54pm On Jun 29, 2013
Good one. Onitsha markets are gradually turning into Malls, I noticed this at Main Market Onitsha.

5 Likes

Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by slimghost(m): 2:04pm On Jun 29, 2013
Nice development.
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by billante(m): 2:07pm On Jun 29, 2013
This project is totally behind schedule! Dat means peter obi won't finish it before his tenure expires. The awka nd nnewi own is definitely not for this tenure, sure about that.

The onitsha international hotel and conference center being built at d same site suppose to be completed by march 2013 according to peter obi but I doubt if its up to 70% completed by today.....anybody dat has an update should share.

1 Like

Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by vosquare: 2:49pm On Jun 29, 2013
leggo
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Policewoman(f): 2:50pm On Jun 29, 2013
KUDOS to the Obi Administration. Welldone.
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by knightsamsong(m): 2:51pm On Jun 29, 2013
gud...
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Nobody: 2:52pm On Jun 29, 2013
Onitsha main market is gonna have some competition grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jun 29, 2013
Hoorraayyy grin
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jun 29, 2013
some moderators here on NL re as*sss* hole,
Banning without reason, feeling like God,
Dis is a forum 4 crying out loud, just lik a Senate house, everyone can't agree 2 a thread, some re supportive, some opposive , others neutral . U guys shld reevaluate ur self n b more professional.
I see no reason why I should get a ban always, being restricted n held against my will in dis new era, metcheew. If one can't get freedom of expression, then d purpose of it called a forum is defeated.
That moderator dat gave me a hr ban yesterday , without apology u re a big fool. Ban me forever if u lik, because little power seun gave u is already making ur head go big lik dat of banky W. Mumu.
God bless nairaland.
God bless Nigeria.

17 Likes

Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by ujoinme: 2:55pm On Jun 29, 2013
IS SHOPRITE A SOUTH AFRICAN OR AN AMERICAN COMPANY?

2 Likes

Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Policewoman(f): 2:56pm On Jun 29, 2013
ighoosagie: some moderators here on NL re as*sss* hole,
Banning without reason, feeling like God,
Dis is a forum 4 crying out loud, just lik a Senate house, everyone can't agree 2 a thread, some re supportive, some opposive , others neutral . U guys u reevaluate ur self n b more professional.
I see no reason why I should get a ban always, being restricted n held against my will in dis new era, metcheew. If one can't get freedom of expression, then d purpose of it called a forum is defeated.
That moderator dat gave me a hr ban yesterday , without apology u re a big fool. Ban me forever if u lik, because little power seun gave u is already making ur head go big lik dat of banky W. Mumu.
God bless nairaland.
God bless Nigeria.
IF YOU NO TAKE TIME DEM GO BAN YOU FOR 6 MONTHS NOW grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Pedagogue: 2:56pm On Jun 29, 2013
Telecommunication industry- MTN (South Africa)

Entertainment: DSTV ( South Africa)

Retail: Shoprite, Woolworths, Pack N Pay (south Africa)

Banking : Stanbic IBTC (South Africa)

Hospitality: Protea Hotel (South Africa)

South African companies have taken over all our key sectors....but yet we are happy!!! we have no shame whatsoever!!! it's not that I'm against 'foreign investment ...but shouldn't that be on the basis of reciprocity! Can anyone mention Nigerian companies that are in S.A!!!

Well, that shd b expected...we have a govt that does not encourage indigenous investors/businessmen...but when foreigners come, they worship them!!!

27 Likes

Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Nobody: 2:58pm On Jun 29, 2013
Wooohh...south africans takin over nigeria!
They really giant of africa....
From lagos to enugu to ibadan to abuja to onitsha!!!!
Everywhere na choplight choplight......
Soon my village market go be choplight..

3 Likes

Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by theripper3: 3:00pm On Jun 29, 2013
Hmmmm, these pple just dey strike the most strategic parts of Nigeria. Hw come these Nigerian billionaires no get this kind insight?. Na oil, oil dey their mind.

6 Likes

Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Rossikk(m): 3:01pm On Jun 29, 2013
That report is a bit confusing.

Is it a mall being constructed or is it a 'Shoprite'?

Sometimes one gets the impression that many mistake the two for the same thing.
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jun 29, 2013
I admire the strategic positioning of their Malls, kudos to their management team.

Thump up to Gov. Obi, allowing more investors to invest in his state, many governors would have kicked against this investment.
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by kenbee(f): 3:09pm On Jun 29, 2013
Thank GOD oh! but ain't this south africans over exploiting us?
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by judennanna: 3:09pm On Jun 29, 2013
where is the shoprite being located and when are they going t
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by apocalypso: 3:09pm On Jun 29, 2013
O my God... This is going to be great...
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by judennanna: 3:11pm On Jun 29, 2013
when are they going to finish it and also when are they going start enploying thank you
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Nobody: 3:12pm On Jun 29, 2013
kenbee: Thank GOD oh! but ain't this south africans over exploiting us?

What stops you from going to South Africa to invest and compete with them in their own economy?
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Zamoni15(m): 3:12pm On Jun 29, 2013
than GOD we av shoprite @ ibadan
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Afam4eva(m): 3:13pm On Jun 29, 2013
I think this Shoprite ish is good for Onitsha because i know business men in Onitsha will not sit down and allow Shoprite to put them out of business. The kind of competition that Onitsha will experience, i cannot imagine. You will see Business men erecting gargantuan structures to outdo each other.

8 Likes

Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jun 29, 2013
Policewoman: IF YOU NO TAKE TIME DEM GO BAN YOU FOR 6 MONTHS NOW grin grin grin grin grin
I'm scared already, as if NL put garri on my table.
metcheew
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Afam4eva(m): 3:16pm On Jun 29, 2013
Rossikk: That report is a bit confusing.

Some building where Shoprtite is found is owned by shoprite while others are owned by another establishment that rents space out to shoprite. I think what's been erected in Onitsha is a mall that will have Shoprite and other shops.
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by saintandsinnerz: 3:18pm On Jun 29, 2013
If only arm robbers will allow them to operate

2 Likes

Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by OdenigboAroli(m): 3:22pm On Jun 29, 2013
Rossikk: That report is a bit confusing.

Maybe they will incorporate a mall to it.
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Nobody: 3:33pm On Jun 29, 2013
Afam4eva: I think this Shoprite ish is good for Onitsha because i know business men in Onitsha will not sit down and allow Shoprite to put them out of business. The kind of competition that Onitsha will experience, i cannot imagine. You will see Business men erecting gargantuan structures to outdo each other.

Dont worry, when i get to power, every foreign firm esp d one that can do wat SE peeps can do perfectly( for eg commerce) will go.

What nonsense.
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by AbuMikey(m): 3:35pm On Jun 29, 2013
Oya na!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

AMCON Takes Over Afrijet Airlines / Four Common Financial Mistakes Most People In Nigeria Make / CBN Forex Policy: Local Manufacturers Happy As Production And Sales Leap By 50%

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.