Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,254 members, 7,818,874 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:02 AM

Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. (19901 Views)

Lagos Shuts Shoprite Over Breach Of Safety Law (Photos) / Shoprite Ibadan Imports Banana And Watermelon From Ghana And SA / On Going Work At The Onitsha Shoprite And International Hotel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by shevon: 3:37am On Jun 30, 2013
First it was Lagos, then Enugu and Abj followed by Ilorin and Ibadan. Now it is Onitsha. When will they come to PHC? undecided I'm so used to them that I feel I'm wasting money in Park & Shop and Everyday SM
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Gifted4all(m): 5:14am On Jun 30, 2013
Shoprite tinz.oya na make una cum benin
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Yeske2(m): 5:19am On Jun 30, 2013
ACM10: I pity Shoprite. Onitsha traders will put them out of business. It will be impossible to beat the price of goods in Onitsha. They will soon realize this. What worked in Enugu might fail in Onitsha.
My exact thoughts too.
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by IykeNipoga(m): 6:18am On Jun 30, 2013
Wen are they finishing it?
Ma soap has finished n i need 2 buy one.
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Donchyke39(m): 6:48am On Jun 30, 2013
n.d07:
Shoprite is mainly a night business and onitsha does nt hv night life. i wonder how it'll thrive.
you are very wrong.
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by EASTSIDAZ: 7:12am On Jun 30, 2013
Chillypelly:

In making arguements, i expect you to be creative in convincing me cos you are becoming boring by the day. Your likes make me believe we still have educated illiterates ie if you are a standard six holder. It is only in anambra that you hear the voice of an old woman and in shock see a mature man to the full glare of tv viewers as the governor. Most remarkably you always see him distributing ambulances as dividends of democracy, the best may be the distribution of cheques for missionary hospitals to build morgues. Its okay i'm happy for you, atleast you can now buy your cabin biscuit in shoppite.

Btw I AM NOT ABAGWORO... Be guided.

Thought you are reasonal, you are actually not different from pauperized imo people I see everyday begging for food. Lol

Its only you that is praising that clueless called okorosha. The guy is presently running imo state into pit toilet. Imo state is the only SE state that does not have other igbos resident in it, but come to Onitsha your people have taken greater part of it, same thing is happening in Enugu and Abia. But nobody goes to imo state to do anything except to pass there to fvck una unmarriageable girls which is the only export out of yor forsaken state.

Imo state is heavily indebted with huge loans which your clownish gov is using to service tinubu and his hausa masters.

Okorosha is a bully who has continued to owe contractors, all the roads are abandoned. Since that clown became gov he has not completed any project. Rather he is busy strugling for seat with Obi's aide. Your okorosha should go to Anambra and understudy Obi on what governance is about. 1/3 of imo population have invaded Onitsha for their economic survival while their gov is busy dancing azonto with criminals as tinubu.
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Afam4eva(m): 7:18am On Jun 30, 2013
shevon: First it was Lagos, then Enugu and Abj followed by Ilorin and Ibadan. Now it is Onitsha. When will they come to PHC? undecided I'm so used to them that I feel I'm wasting money in Park & Shop and Everyday SM
Despite the fact that PH is the 3rd most important city in Nigeria, it always come last in attracting these kinds of investments and i'm not sure why. Could be because of the huge gap between the rich and the poor in that city.
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by playahP(m): 7:35am On Jun 30, 2013
How the hell can u call this exploitation??..... They are helping us!!

They employ nigerian labourer (for the construction of the mall)...
They hire nigerian workers and still pay tax to the nigerian government!!

How is it exploitation
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by geeez: 7:46am On Jun 30, 2013
Now kidnappes and robbers will waylay shoppers

I know its the state government behind this just like the Enugu governor did

Opening of Shoprite now equates to achievement.

Shoprite outlets opened in Lagos, Oyo and Abuja has nothing to do with government intervention

I visited the Shoprite in Enugu during my last visit to the state and it was scanty, even on a Saturday
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by abu12: 7:55am On Jun 30, 2013
No gain no pain, this is definitely going to kill some indigenous supermarket and shopping mall as it continue to spread around the country

Those are the foreign investment from #team fresh air#
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by oboy3(m): 8:06am On Jun 30, 2013
geeez: Now kidnappes and robbers will waylay shoppers

I know its the state government behind this just like the Enugu governor did

Opening of Shoprite now equates to achievement.

Shoprite outlets opened in Lagos, Oyo and Abuja has nothing to do with government intervention

I visited the Shoprite in Enugu during my last visit to the state and it was scanty, even on a Saturday

6 Likes

Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by EASTSIDAZ: 8:33am On Jun 30, 2013
n.d07:
Shoprite is mainly a night business and onitsha does nt hv night life. i wonder how it'll thrive.

Its not true. Commercial areas does not have nite life just like in other major Nigerian cities. But in the core residential areas more especially high brow areas of GRA, American qtrs, Fed Housing, Omagba phase 1&2 even up to Limca road there is bubbling nite life. Awka road down to Park Road-GRA where the hotel and Convention Center, Shoprite etc are situated are always busy till dawn, I saw it myself.
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Nobody: 9:05am On Jun 30, 2013
Nigerians can be so stupid!
South Africans comeback with a resurgence of an old concept - Departmental Stores
We celebrate it as a relief.
However propagating the very brand, with tax payers money to enable it is plain stupid!

Why can't Nigerians grow their own super stores?
What is so technically difficult about ordering goods and signing supply contracts?
Given our history in commerce, we should be modernizing ours and exporting to other African countries!
Its so pathetic, Governor's are now projecting Shopright!
When they grow large enough to monopolize commerce, no one should complain!

And the crap about allowing individual shops in the Mall is simply Crap! They do not have the advantage and capital pool to compete with Shopright.

Also do not give me the crap about this not being with taxpayers money, Shopright will not come if the State Govt. was not funding the mall, taking a huge cost of their capital investment with taxpayers money!

Enugu might do it cause its a civil service city, but Onitsha of all places! A centre of commerce. Peter Obi should work on how to bring traders together in co-operatives. Pull their resources together to grow a shopping brand, that can be exported to other states, and neighbouring countries!

1 Like

Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by omonnakoda: 9:22am On Jun 30, 2013
KenGali: Nigerians can be so stupid!
South Africans comeback with a resurgence of an old concept - Departmental Stores
However propagating the very brand, with tax payers money to enable it is plain stupid!

What is so technically difficult about ordering goods and signing supply contracts?
Given our history in commerce, we should be modernizing ours and exporting to other African countries!

And the crap about allowing individual shops in the Mall is simply Crap! They do not have the advantage and capital pool to compete with Shopright.

Also do not give me the crap about this not being without taxpayers money, Shopright will not come if the State Govt. was not funding the mall, taking a huge cost of their capital investment with taxpayers money!

Enugu might do it cause its a civil service city, but Onitsha of all places! A centre of commerce. Peter Obi should work on how to bring traders together in co-operatives. Pull their resources together to grow a shopping brand, that can be exported to other states, and neighbouring countries!
Yes so what is stopping YOU from lifting your NOT SILLY A55 and starting a departmental store since it is so easy. "Nigerians can be so silly " you say but we are lucky to have you a GENIUS to save us.Looking forward to seeing your stores in my neighbourhood

2 Likes

Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Nobody: 9:38am On Jun 30, 2013
omonnakoda:
Yes so what is stopping YOU from lifting your NOT SILLY A55 and starting a departmental store since it is so easy. "Nigerians can be so silly " you say but we are lucky to have you a GENIUS to save us.Looking forward to seeing your stores in my neighbourhood

You might actually see it sooner than you can imagine. Meanwhile, quit the shopright euphoria.
When you are done, thank me the "GENIUS" for reminding you that you have arms and legs, you can actually do things, even if it is just to copy. It is not a must that all things must be imported.

In between: MR. SMART, kindly supply your neighbourhood address, pay your tax and ensure your state Govt. will fund my upcoming mall in your area!
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by omonnakoda: 10:24am On Jun 30, 2013
KenGali:

You might actually see it sooner than you can imagine. Meanwhile, quit the shopright euphoria.
When you are done, thank me the "GENIUS" for reminding you that you have arms and legs, you can actually do things, even if it is just to copy. It is not a must that all things must be imported.

In between: MR. SMART, kindly supply your neighbourhood address, pay your tax and ensure your state Govt. will fund my upcoming mall in your area!
What Shoprite euphoria? Me ? Where?
You come on here saying "Nigerians are silly" You are a loudmouth.
If you have anything to do then shut up and get busy.
Remind yourself of that and quit talking talk is cheap and you are empty.
As the cliché goes empty vessels make the most noise and right now you din is abominable

1 Like

Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by emmanuel4758(m): 10:36am On Jun 30, 2013
Donchyke39: shoprite is a South African Company.
who own s.a na americans so what diferent
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Nobody: 10:37am On Jun 30, 2013
Yea and we hope bokoharam will not limit them to Abj only for the whole north!!
abdulkayus: We only hope d armed robbers will nt be terrorising dem.
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Nobody: 10:42am On Jun 30, 2013
Here comes a man of the people!if u ever coming out for any election,I will be ur campaign manager for free!!!
na U go tire:

U guys are jokers. What is good about having a super store in a locality? There's nothing good about that, rather, there's everything bad about it. For your information, the presence of Shoprite in Onitsha will definitely lead to the death of so many mom and pop shops within Onitsha and beyond. Shoprite basically sells the same type of products as these mom and pop stores, and obviously, when people are faced with the choice of shopping at Shoprite or at a mom and pop's, they will go for the former. It is never good for the local economy and that's why you see some county governments in the western world resist the siting of these super marts in their locale.
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by delawal: 10:42am On Jun 30, 2013
people who understands the business in onitsha will know that shoprite wil not make any impact.Onitsha market is already highly competitive.so the shoprite wont even bring in any competition.i even see shoprite losing out of the market.do u knw that apart frm cars,most prices of other goods are even cheaper or at par wit the prices in lagos.only people who are on ground here will know this. Also the buying mentality of an average onitsha person wont do shoprite any good.a buyer here will prefer main market than shoprite. Onitsha market supports bulk buyers frm many parts of the country too.those bulk buyers cant find it beta in Shoprite bc the onitsha traders are smart in biz.the only market share the shoprite can get is the fun-shoppers which is not upto 3%. I must conclude too by sayin that Onitsha as a city doesnt have nite life.i dont knw if shoprite can change that
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Abagworo(m): 10:43am On Jun 30, 2013
Afam4eva:
Despite the fact that PH is the 3rd most important city in Nigeria, it always come last in attracting these kinds of investments and i'm not sure why. Could be because of the huge gap between the rich and the poor in that city.

Port Harcourt people are used to shopping in mini super markets and there are hundreds of them. Port harcourt probably has the lowest gap between rich and poor in Nigeria. Even barrow pushers earn well, club and dress well in Port Harcourt.

1 Like

Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Chillypelly(m): 10:59am On Jun 30, 2013
EASTSIDAZ:

Thought you are reasonal, you are actually not different from pauperized imo people I see everyday begging for food. Lol

Its only you that is praising that clueless called okorosha. The guy is presently running imo state into pit toilet. Imo state is the only SE state that does not have other igbos resident in it, but come to Onitsha your people have taken greater part of it, same thing is happening in Enugu and Abia. But nobody goes to imo state to do anything except to pass there to fvck una unmarriageable girls which is the only export out of yor forsaken state.

Imo state is heavily indebted with huge loans which your clownish gov is using to service tinubu and his hausa masters.

Okorosha is a bully who has continued to owe contractors, all the roads are abandoned. Since that clown became gov he has not completed any project. Rather he is busy strugling for seat with Obi's aide. Your okorosha should go to Anambra and understudy Obi on what governance is about. 1/3 of imo population have invaded Onitsha for their economic survival while their gov is busy dancing azonto with criminals as tinubu.

I saw an old witch with your picture waving it to satisfaction that she succeeded. I prayed immediately that God looses her grip of you cos she kept calling your name while hitting her sagged bossom.

Loose from your grip you spirit of confusion holding chino.
** P R A Y I N G **
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by EASTSIDAZ: 11:08am On Jun 30, 2013
Chillypelly:

I saw an old witch with your picture waving it to satisfaction that she succeeded. I prayed immediately that God looses her grip of you cos she kept calling your name while hitting her sagged bossom.

Loose from your grip you spirit of confusion holding chino.
** P R A Y I N G **

Hahahaha

I have told you whenever you take cheap weed don't drink garri.

See what joblessness because of okorosha cluelessness has turned you into. You sound like someone who is broke and sex starved. Am not responsible for your frustration, go hold that owambe clown in your govt house. Hahahaha

Next time vote for a gov that will bring investors and industrialization so that you get a job.
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by IGBOSON1: 11:10am On Jun 30, 2013
KenGali: Nigerians can be so stupid!

Also do not give me the crap about this not being without taxpayers money, Shopright will not come if the State Govt. was not funding the mall, taking a huge cost of their capital investment with taxpayers money!

^^^On the bolded: if you're waiting for Peter Obi to act on this brilliant idea of yours (something he should have done if he had good economic advisers, without KenGali having to suggest it on nairaland), then you go wait tire! It's this 'not thinking out of the box'......not taking bold new economic decisions that could draw on the unique nature of Anambra state......these are part of the problems i have with governance in that state.

1 Like

Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by EASTSIDAZ: 11:34am On Jun 30, 2013
IGBO-SON:

^^^On the bolded: if you're waiting for Peter Obi to act on this brilliant idea of yours (something he should have done if he had good economic advisers, without KenGali having to suggest it on nairaland), then you go wait tire! It's this 'not thinking out of the box'......not taking bold new economic decisions that could draw on the unique nature of Anambra state......these are part of the problems i have with governance in that state.

As much as I agree with you on our people opening such a gigantic facilities, I still believe that foriegn investors coming are indirectly pumping their own resources in Anambra economy. They will equally add more jobs in the system and above all stir up economic dynamism and reframe the whole mode of doing business. Anambra as a capitalist state welcomes all investors just like they did to Orient petroleum, Sabmiller, Chrisoral Group, Orange drug, Emzor Pharm, Juhel Pharm etc. We want high level economic vibrancy.
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Nobody: 1:20pm On Jun 30, 2013
omonnakoda:
What Shoprite euphoria? Me ? Where?
You come on here saying "Nigerians are silly" You are a loudmouth.
If you have anything to do then shut up and get busy.
Remind yourself of that and quit talking talk is cheap and you are empty.
As the cliché goes empty vessels make the most noise and right now you din is abominable

Gosh, are you now declining love for Shopright! Am really wondering what your point is?
Maybe it pinches you when I say Nigerians are silly, so I'll say it again - Nigerians are very silly people who celebrate simple departmental stores as signs of ostentation and luxury.
Full vessels who go on rants as Giants of Africa yet can not even maintain a simple public water system.
Hug a Transformer if you like!!!
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jun 30, 2013
EASTSIDAZ:

As much as I agree with you on our people opening such a gigantic facilities, I still believe that foriegn investors coming are indirectly pumping their own resources in Anambra economy. They will equally add more jobs in the system and above all stir up economic dynamism and reframe the whole mode of doing business. Anambra as a capitalist state welcomes all investors just like they did to Orient petroleum, Sabmiller, Chrisoral Group, Orange drug, Emzor Pharm, Juhel Pharm etc. We want high level economic vibrancy.

My dear, When looking for foreign investors, it makes sense to look at investors who will open or invest in new sectors of your economy. Or failing Sectors of your economy. (Looking at the Auto industry in Britain for example). When you aid foreigners to take over existing areas of comparative advantage, you are not creating any new value. Rather wealth is changing hands.

Ask yourself, whose needs will ShopRight serve?? Who is currently serving this need (our petty traders). When the wealth/market changes hands you end up putting a lot of low skilled and uneducated people out of jobs and income. In place you will employ a few literate people to do the jobs, and then repatriate profits they use to earn back to South Africa. Who is loosing?
If ShopRight came on their own to site in Onitsha with out state backing and fund, I will not bother, they will have to compete with local traders. But can you imagine what Obi's involvement has done for their publicity alone, before talking of funding for the mall.
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by EASTSIDAZ: 2:08pm On Jun 30, 2013
KenGali:

My dear, When looking for foreign investors, it makes sense to look at investors who will open or invest in new sectors of your economy. Or failing Sectors of your economy. (Looking at the Auto industry in Britain for example). When you aid foreigners to take over existing areas of comparative advantage, you are not creating any new value. Rather wealth is changing hands.

Ask yourself, whose needs will ShopRight serve?? Who is currently serving this need (our petty traders). When the wealth/market changes hands you end up putting a lot of low skilled and uneducated people out of jobs and income. In place you will employ a few literate people to do the jobs, and then repatriate profits they use to earn back to South Africa. Who is loosing?
If ShopRight came on their own to site in Onitsha with out state backing and fund, I will not bother, they will have to compete with local traders. But can you imagine what Obi's involvement has done for their publicity alone, before talking of funding for the mall.

Dearie..I have not read anywhere that Anambra is putting down a penny in all this. What I know is that Obi is creating enabling environment for them to thrive by doing a dual carriageway that will equally serve the 5star hotel, ICC and general hospital.

The same thing Obi has done for Sabmiller, Orient, Juhel, Orange drug, chrisoral even chikason group. Obi personally brought GEJ to commission all the above companies to give it govt backing.

Obi industrialization drive is all embracing for any investor coming to the state.

Presently Obi is doing good number of roads at Otuocha areas where pharmaceutical giant Emzor is building the largest drug plant in W.Africa.

Obi is ready to do same for any genuine investor and that is why investors are invading the state due to govt friendly industrialization policy masterplan.
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jun 30, 2013
EASTSIDAZ:

Dearie..I have not read anywhere that Anambra is putting down a penny in all this. What I know is that Obi is creating enabling environment for them to thrive by doing a dual carriageway that will equally serve the 5star hotel, ICC and general hospital.

The same thing Obi has done for Sabmiller, Orient, Juhel, Orange drug, chrisoral even chikason group. Obi personally brought GEJ to commission all the above companies to give it govt backing.

Obi industrialization drive is all embracing for any investor coming to the state.

Presently Obi is doing good number of roads at Otuocha areas where pharmaceutical giant Emzor is building the largest drug plant in W.Africa.

Obi is ready to do same for any genuine investor and that is why investors are invading the state due to govt friendly industrialization policy masterplan.

The article states it is a PPP project: meaning the state has a contribution to the funding. The other firms you mentioned are all operating or expanding new economic sectors. ShopRight is talking of commerce which is our main area of comparative advantage. I commend Obi for his achievements, but support for investors should also be strategic. If you are supporting someone to compete with your local players, you must be giving even greater support to your local players to ensure they do not die.
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by omonnakoda: 2:44pm On Jun 30, 2013
KenGali:

Gosh, are you now declining love for Shopright! Am really wondering what your point is?
Maybe it pinches you when I say Nigerians are silly, so I'll say it again - Nigerians are very silly people who celebrate simple departmental stores as signs of ostentation and luxury.
Full vessels who go on rants as Giants of Africa yet can not even maintain a simple public water system.
Hug a Transformer if you like!!!
Whatever Nigerians are you certainly are illiterate grin Where did I declare my love for shoprite.I have no opinion on shoprite.None !! but I have an opinion on nonenetities who can talk at the Olympics ,criticizing,complaining,moaning and at the end of the day contribute zilch beyond their armchair vituperations.Now that is something I definitely have an opinion on.I cant stand such bums. Nigerians are this ,Nigerians are that. If you die today why would anyone miss you? What would you be remembered for beyond your empty words
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by EASTSIDAZ: 2:46pm On Jun 30, 2013
KenGali:

The article states it is a PPP project: meaning the state has a contribution to the funding. The other firms you mentioned are all operating or expanding new economic sectors. ShopRight is talking of commerce which is our main area of comparative advantage. I commend Obi for his achievements, but support for investors should also be strategic. If you are supporting someone to compete with your local players, you must be giving even greater support to your local players to ensure they do not die.

You are right, but I think PPP arrangement is what is ruling the world economy of today. At least where a state has some level of commitment in the entire project to enable it have employment quota purely for its people in the scheme of things. Meaning that by this PPP idea some percent of the jobs will be reserved strictly for the Anambra people.

Well I still blame our business men to large extent who have refused to come up with such a huge idea in the first place. Am sure if they had done that government would have keyed into it to further develop and enhance it, but they were okay with there level of operation. I equally learnt that they are going to build two more Malls: in Awka and Nnewi. So our business people should brace up. grin
Re: Work Begins On Onitsha Shoprite. by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jun 30, 2013
grin grin grin grin ;DChei! Ajo onu,u finished dis pple but its the plain truth thou,truth is bitter! LMAO at okorosha,pit toilet,tinubu,pauperized,unmarriageable girls!!!! Badt guy
EASTSIDAZ:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Weekly Price List Of Game, The Palms Shopping Mall, Lekki / AMCON Takes Over Afrijet Airlines / How Do I Recover My Money From A Debtor ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.