Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,991 members, 7,817,919 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:57 PM

ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike (44814 Views)

NASU Begins Nationwide Strike Tomorrow / Breaking News: Imsu ASUU Begins Strike Today / National ASUU Begins Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by sunsky29(m): 8:19am On Jul 02, 2013
sunsky29: wats this 1 saying?evritin wey go hpn na gej?smh. If u fire burn una hauz,na Gej. If ur phone spoil,na Gej.if ur gf dump u,blame Gej jor?if u no write wel 4 exam,blame Gej.if virus enta ur laptop,blame Gej.i tire 4 ur typ o...i tire 4 una type o.
evritn na Gej?
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by sunsky29(m): 8:21am On Jul 02, 2013
phew.
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by Firstgentleman1(m): 8:22am On Jul 02, 2013
Abeg, make asup call off o. Make we go house fit find work wey our poly brodas don occupy finish.
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by yoged(m): 8:23am On Jul 02, 2013
jonath0012: I remember my university days in unilorin. I never experience strike, even for a day. Anyway, I pray FG grant ASUU's request oo.
same here jare. Better by far all the way.
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by kennethazuoma: 8:24am On Jul 02, 2013
What is the problem dis time around pls d shld resolve it for our children continue their education
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by Penboy: 8:24am On Jul 02, 2013
Fellow NL's, please will this strike affect our post ume dates?
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by Tinkybabe(f): 8:26am On Jul 02, 2013
joeydozzy: When will my school partake in this?

All the time,I dey go lectures cry
Are you for real?. .so the six years you're going to spend in uni isn't enough headache already ..you want to add to it ..unserious medical student!

Nigeria's educational system is rubbish!

1 Like

Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by Samuraigirl: 8:29am On Jul 02, 2013
I couldn't help but shake my head in shame at some of the comments you lot have made up here. Try to get your facts right before you put any trash here as you'll only end up displaying your heights of ignorance (and ignorance is no excuse) hence disgracing yourselves.
Have you students never stopped for a brief moment to wonder at the state of our university environment and how debasing most universities tutors offices and lecture halls are? Some even share office spaces and have had to furnish their offices using their personal funds. I had a very brief stint with one of the major oil companies when I returned to this country. There was so much at my disposal- luxury office space,everything good that you can imagine as you read this were part of the perks the job offered but I had to leave the job for lecturing in one of the fed.unis. This was what made me decide to return home and I was only diverting from my original intent taking up the initial job.
I practically shuddered when i was told how much I'd be getting as a tutor with a doctorate degree but i went ahead with the job.
My second disappoint was being shown a store room sort of as my office and the worse part was having to share it (i love my personal space and i was completely put off).
Told them straight up that i wasn't going to work in such immediate environment. Was promised an extreme make-up of the space but no i didn't get that even after series of applications from me and the dean to the works dept. Did I say the dean's office was also a turn-off? uncountable yeses to that. Well, the summary of this all is that I had to cough out a little over a million to get my office fixed to my taste. I've been promised a refund but i'm not banking on that. Was told of office reshuffling couple of months after i'd fixed my office but i had to make it known upfront to the authorities that I wasn't moving an inch. Then came the case of my having to temporarily give up my space for a foreign prof who was on his sabbatical. I bet you know what my response was. I even had to contribute about 40 percent of the money used in purchasing a power generating set for the faculty as the one they had was a noise mill right behind my office.
I have spent alot providing study materials for students and some other things i've had to personally fund.
I was opportuned to be in the office of one of the legislators in Abuja when I was doing an EIA job and i was suprised at all the facilities my eyes saw not to mention the bunch of men clad in suits all in the name of PA. I asked myself what particular jobs this lot did that they provided these men to assist them and at the end of the month, taxpayers monies will appear in their various accounts.
I could go on and on but i'll stop here. I think you students deserve better than what you're currently being dished out. I don't see students unanimously revolting in this country. Why is that? We're richly blessed in this country. You and your teachers deserve better learning environment,working environment and working conditions. So if you lot can't stand up for yourselves,let your tutors do that for you while you stop spewing trash fron your gobs.

13 Likes

Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by eddyslim(m): 8:37am On Jul 02, 2013
x-razzy:
AND ONE FOOL WILL TELL ME TO VOTE JONATHAN AGAIN COME 2015 WE SHALL SEE!
Sharap, have you not been experiencing strike even when GEJ was not the president?

1 Like

Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by Ebyce(f): 8:38am On Jul 02, 2013
let us pray so that God wl interve,we the ASUP are on our own strike since 4th may.pray! pray!! pray!!!
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by anonimi: 8:40am On Jul 02, 2013
Samuraigirl: I was opportuned to be in the office of one of the legislators in Abuja when I was doing an EIA job and i was suprised at all the facilities my eyes saw not to mention the bunch of men clad in suits all in the name of PA. I asked myself what particular jobs this lot did that they provided these men to assist them and at the end of the month, taxpayers monies will appear in their various accounts.

This reflects what I wrote earlier on this thread.
We should expect more workers' strike from different sectors as we move to redress the imbalance in the REWARD structure for work done for the same employer(government).
Does anyone remember how MEND's revolt came about after the 1 million man march fro Abacha's presidential ambition in the late 90s

I think you students deserve better than what you're currently being dished out. I don't see students unanimously revolting in this country. Why is that? We're richly blessed in this country. You and your teachers deserve better learning environment,working environment and working conditions. So if you lot can't stand up for yourselves,let your tutors do that for you while you stop spewing trash fron your gobs.

The students are waiting for their turn at the sharing table for the national cake derived mostly from Niger Delta oil. So why bother to disturb the current arrangement. Meanwhile they do not know that they are short-changing themselves.
Thanks for your great insight!!!

1 Like

Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by Princeadebayo1(m): 8:40am On Jul 02, 2013
Hmmm....na wa o
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by Zintos(m): 8:41am On Jul 02, 2013
Plz give us situation report 4rm ur various skuls.......
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by Eneze1(f): 8:42am On Jul 02, 2013
Samuraigirl: I couldn't help but shake my head in shame at some of the comments you lot have made up here. Try to get your facts right before you put any trash here as you'll only end up displaying your heights of ignorance (and ignorance is no excuse) hence disgracing yourselves.
Have you students never stopped for a brief moment to wonder at the state of our university environment and how debasing most universities tutors offices and lecture halls are? Some even share office spaces and have had to furnish their offices using their personal funds. I had a very brief stint with one of the major oil companies when I returned to this country. There was so much at my disposal- luxury office space,everything good that you can imagine as you read this were part of the perks the job offered but I had to leave the job for lecturing in one of the fed.unis. This was what made me decide to return home and I was only diverting from my original intent taking up the initial job.
I practically shuddered when i was told how much I'd be getting as a tutor with a doctorate degree but i went ahead with the job.
My second disappoint was being shown a store room sort of as my office and the worse part was having to share it (i love my personal space and i was completely put off).
Told them straight up that i wasn't going to work in such immediate environment. Was promised an extreme make-up of the space but no i didn't get that even after series of applications from me and the dean to the works dept. Did I say the dean's office was also a turn-off? uncountable yeses to that. Well, the summary of this all is that I had to cough out a little over a million to get my office fixed to my taste. I've been promised a refund but i'm not banking on that. Was told of office reshuffling couple of months after i'd fixed my office but i had to make it known upfront to the authorities that I wasn't moving an inch. Then came the case of my having to temporarily give up my space for a foreign prof who was on his sabbatical. I bet you know what my response was. I even had to contribute about 40 percent of the money used in purchasing a power generating set for the faculty as the one they had was a noise mill right behind my office.
I have spent alot providing study materials for students and some other things i've had to personally fund.
I was opportuned to be in the office of one of the legislators in Abuja when I was doing an EIA job and i was suprised at all the facilities my eyes saw not to mention the bunch of men clad in suits all in the name of PA. I asked myself what particular jobs this lot did that they provided these men to assist them and at the end of the month, taxpayers monies will appear in their various accounts.
I could go on and on but i'll stop here. I think you students deserve better than what you're currently being dished out. I don't see students unanimously revolting in this country. Why is that? We're richly blessed in this country. You and your teachers deserve better learning environment,working environment and working conditions. So if you lot can't stand up for yourselves,let your tutors do that for you while you stop spewing trash fron your gobs.

GBAM, can't agree more, when I was in school a lot of my lecturers use their personal money to furnish their office, I can't imagine myself working in such an environment, furthermore why would the federal government signed an agreement with ASUU and not fulfill it?

1 Like

Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by Ijawboi(m): 8:44am On Jul 02, 2013
I dey class now o... Y
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by evvyking(m): 8:52am On Jul 02, 2013
ASUU can strike for 8 years if they like. Too many graduates anyway
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by Orikinla(m): 8:58am On Jul 02, 2013
Do you know that over 6.2 million girls are out of school in Nigeria, according to the Minister of State for Education, Mr Nyesom Wike.
The figure represented 62 per cent of school age girls nationwide.
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by Dalby(m): 8:58am On Jul 02, 2013
Trade unions are Nigerias biggest problems after embezzlement that is.
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by vicade(m): 9:01am On Jul 02, 2013
Even without strike, the quality is zero. zero for both the tutors and the students.

i believe Government should pull out and just give these universities an annual endowment fund and let them raise the rest of required funds on their own.

Its amazing that school fees in some federal unis is between 100 and 300 dollars. In other words, every student in a Nigerian Federal University is on scholarship and these universities still get money from ETF and the likes. Still on still, the quality is poor. Research is zero. Nigeria is not Denmark or FInland. WE have a high population and we are under developed. we cant afford that and still make everyone happy and get quality.

Nigerian students in public universities need to pay more money for school fees and that money should go to the university directly. if you pay peanuts you get peanuts. The government shouldnt put all of them on scholarship for a crap education. it makes no sense. Government and alumni should endow the unis for research and infrastructure. Students should fund the rest.If theres any problem then, dont blame govt. You blame your school.

Finally, the education game is getting elitist. watch out for graduates of the private unis in the next 10 years when their alumni start to occupy major positions. Also watch out for those who can afford to go to the best business schools in Europe and America in the next 10 years. If things dont change now, we would still be watching out for another ASUU strike come 2023. Lagos Business school is leading the way. An MBA costs 3.4 million. No feeding,No accomodation. However, LBS Is light years ahead of any public business school in Nigeria and is well recognized.

Education is cheap. Quality Education is damn expensive.Nigeria cannot afford to put every student on scholarship cos u attend a public university. The 45k school fees doesnt cut it at all.

4 Likes

Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by proffemi: 9:04am On Jul 02, 2013
Just like every profession in the world, we have some black sheep in our ranks. I can understand the vitriol you're directing in our direction, but I think you should not be so hasty to generalize. Speaking for myself and a few people that I know, your post is a gross insult. Believe it or not, but there are many lecturers who work in this system just because they want to contribute what they can to building a better country. People to whom integrity is so important that it is YOU the students who turn around and say we're too "principled". Some of us are confident of the value that we bring to the table, and I for one can stand proudly in any forum globally because I can see the results of my work.

Now to the issue of strike: I have never been in support of strike actions, but I have come to the sad realization that our government is so dishonest, intransigent and immune to pressure of any other sort that we have no viable recourse. Believe me, if we had been faculty in the US, we would be able to use any number of other methods. Unfortunately, this being Nigeria, the only thing the government understands is "wahala".

I hope you will not be surprised if I tell you that the reasons for the strike action are the exact same reasons for the last two. After making an agreement and reneging and then eventually settling on another, the government has simply chosen not to honor that agreement.

It is easy to believe that all strike actions by ASUU end up being agitations for salary increase. Its a long story, but let me just say it isn't true. Again, speaking for myself, I do not see how much the Nigerian government can do that will make me believe that working here is better than any of the other options I have. All I ask is for them to *at least* give me a fighting chance to make some progress. I am even less concerned with the fact that external examiners for post-graduate exams - who often have to travel across the country - have not been paid (yes, the host universities try to raise the money on most occasions, but that's not what it was supposed to be). Part of the last agreement with the government was that they would provide funds to members of staff on MSc and PhD to shore up the quality of their research. Of course, that NEVER happened. Research funds about which much noise was made...poof...vaporware. Look, just dealing with the Nigerian government is tiring.

I should mention: I am not a "very ASUU" person o. I have my beef with the union, but facts are facts: our government is not serious about education.

Acidosis: ...and after all these demands, they won't stop harrasing their female students... begging them for s£ x, frustrating their lives just because the dangling rod between their legs won't let them rest...

Lol, I heard they've upgraded. Our Nigerian lecturers do not beg ladies again o... They now enforce their intimate demands..
The girl get a lodge, she pays the cash for the hotel room and then call the Mr I-will-die-without-s£ .x-Nigerian ASUU lecturer to come over... cheesy

What a f00lish union of old shameless men..

Rather than cut off the stick between their legs so they can impact the knowledge our generation needs.. They go about pursuing girls around campus, slashing their scores so they can put their useless rod to use...

You guys should watch out for my up coming thread!
Its going to be raw! Bloody! I've declared war against these lecturers s£. xturers!

It will be an open platform for Nigerian students to publish the full names and details of Lecturers demanding s. ex from female students.

I was in one of these campuses few days ago.. and I heard about 3 different issues on the same subject matter.. Mind you, these are the same Men demanding endless demands from GEJ..

They want the money.. They want the s. £x.. But I'm going to show them Hell..

We are not all f00ls
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by ciphoenix: 9:04am On Jul 02, 2013
Aedes_muskeeto: its hippocrites dude...

I think hippocrates is tha name of greek mathematician or something....

was talking about the Hippocratic oath smiley so, yes, Hippocrates
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by chreldb(m): 9:04am On Jul 02, 2013
Samuraigirl: I couldn't help but shake my head in shame at some of the comments you lot have made up here. Try to get your facts right before you put any trash here as you'll only end up displaying your heights of ignorance (and ignorance is no excuse) hence disgracing yourselves.

Thank you for this your matured and reasonable post. I was getting a bit disturbed at the kind of comments I was reading on this thread. Apparently, these comments were supposedly from students who should be seen as educated and rational. Threads like these I normally ignore because it lacks any intellectual substance. How do I get into a reasonable conversation with and individual who has labelled all lecturers as sex predators not minding the fact that some of them like yourself are females. So does that mean all female lecturers are lesbians? And such comments gets more than 10 likes. Like you said I could say so much more but I will stop here. One thing I know however, is that ASUU has tried its possible best to avoid this strike. But the government keeps playing games and politics so they have been pushed to the wall.
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by Okdanny: 9:05am On Jul 02, 2013
Whether strike or no strike ! UNIZIK keeps sailing:::this Assu shits don't affect us... Exam loading seriously 95%
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by emsheddy(m): 9:08am On Jul 02, 2013
my Uni comrades, hw e dey be na? Shey una lecturers don pursue una come join us for house? Heheheheheheheehe. Na now fg go see headache na
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by miracleoscar(m): 9:14am On Jul 02, 2013
Academic staff union of university,una must show una self for every regime.
Your reasons for the action is yet to be identified.
May God help Nigeria.
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by Nobody: 9:15am On Jul 02, 2013
Okdanny: Whether strike or no strike ! UNIZIK keeps sailing:::this Assu shits don't affect us... Exam loading seriously 95%
nairaland owners please do something o...too many young, uncultured, immature peeps here bringing bad market for this forum
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by HIPROFILE(m): 9:16am On Jul 02, 2013
Acidosis: ...and after all these demands, they won't stop harrasing their female students... begging them for s£ x, frustrating their lives just because the dangling rod between their legs won't let them rest...

Lol, I heard they've upgraded. Our Nigerian lecturers do not beg ladies again o... They now enforce their intimate demands..
The girl get a lodge, she pays the cash for the hotel room and then call the Mr I-will-die-without-s£ .x-Nigerian ASUU lecturer to come over... cheesy

What a f00lish union of old shameless men..

Rather than cut off the stick between their legs so they can impact the knowledge our generation needs.. They go about pursuing girls around campus, slashing their scores so they can put their useless rod to use...

You guys should watch out for my up coming thread!
Its going to be raw! Bloody! I've declared war against these lecturers s£. xturers!

It will be an open platform for Nigerian students to publish the full names and details of Lecturers demanding s. ex from female students.

I was in one of these campuses few days ago.. and I heard about 3 different issues on the same subject matter.. Mind you, these are the same Men demanding endless demands from GEJ..

They want the money.. They want the s. £x.. But I'm going to show them Hell..

We are not all f00ls

Young man like seriously you talk like a woman I was forced to quote your comment cos I checked your profile and saw male I keep wondering if you actually understand the core reason for their strike action,what your saying is a different thing and has nothing to do with their action.how would you feel when you have a signed agreement with someone yet the fellow refuses to implement the simple mutual agreement you established with him. Your so called leaders are not innocent of what some of the lecturers are doing and @ the same time earn fat salaries and huge allowances for jast having meetings if you think its easy to lecture and earn peanut please give it a try before creating your thread.
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by phemheritage: 9:24am On Jul 02, 2013
I THINK OUR SUPER EAGLES ALSO NEED A GOOD STRIKER LIKE ASUU grin
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by ocheejemb: 9:24am On Jul 02, 2013
Samuraigirl:
Have you students never stopped for a brief moment to wonder at the state of our university environment and how debasing most universities tutors offices and lecture halls are? Some even share office spaces and have had to furnish their offices using their personal funds. I had a very brief stint with one of the major oil companies when I returned to this country.

There was so much at my disposal- luxury office space,everything good that you can imagine as you read this were part of the perks the job offered but I had to leave the job for lecturing in one of the fed.unis. This was what made me decide to return home and I was only diverting from my original intent taking up the initial job.

Insightful post samuraigirl, you sound like the kind of person we need to move this sector forward. Can I ask what motivated you to leave an Oil company for a Fed Uni. Im currently pursuing a doctorate as well, and as much as I'd like to lecture in Nigeria some day the state of the whole sector is very discouraging.

I think its safe to say that this 'free tertiary education' model is failing us. These incessant strikes by ASUU dont seem to achieve anything except drag the sector into further disrepute domestically and internationally.
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by medotorres(m): 9:25am On Jul 02, 2013
MYNSTER: Public universities lecturers begin strike
2013-07-02 09:25:
The Academic Staff Union of Universities has resumed the strike it suspended in January 2011following alleged failure bythe Federal Government toimplement the agreementit reached with the public universities lecturers.
ASUU National President, Dr. Nasir Isa, said the action though painful would be total, comprehensive and last for as long as the Federal Government implement the details of the Memorandum of Understanding both parties signed in 2011.
why is it now that the muslim want to start their fasting that they bring up this strike issue,i suspect those lazy committe members.
The Academic Staff Union of Universities has resumed the strike it suspended in January 2011following alleged failure bythe Federal Government toimplement the agreementit reached with the public universities lecturers.
ASUU National President, Dr. Nasir Isa, said the action though painful would be total, comprehensive and last for as long as the Federal Government implement the details of the Memorandum of Understanding both parties signed in 2011.
why is it now that the muslim want to start their fasting that they bring up this strike issue,i suspect those lazy committe members.
Re: ASUU Begins Nationwide Strike by ocheejemb: 9:25am On Jul 02, 2013
vicade: Even without strike, the quality is zero. zero for both the tutors and the students.

i believe Government should pull out and just give these universities an annual endowment fund and let them raise the rest of required funds on their own.

Its amazing that school fees in some federal unis is between 100 and 300 dollars. In other words, every student in a Nigerian Federal University is on scholarship and these universities still get money from ETF and the likes. Still on still, the quality is poor. Research is zero. Nigeria is not Denmark or FInland. WE have a high population and we are under developed. we cant afford that and still make everyone happy and get quality.

Nigerian students in public universities need to pay more money for school fees and that money should go to the university directly. if you pay peanuts you get peanuts. The government shouldnt put all of them on scholarship for a crap education. it makes no sense. Government and alumni should endow the unis for research and infrastructure. Students should fund the rest.If theres any problem then, dont blame govt. You blame your school.

Finally, the education game is getting elitist. watch out for graduates of the private unis in the next 10 years when their alumni start to occupy major positions. Also watch out for those who can afford to go to the best business schools in Europe and America in the next 10 years. If things dont change now, we would still be watching out for another ASUU strike come 2023. Lagos Business school is leading the way. An MBA costs 3.4 million. No feeding,No accomodation. However, LBS Is light years ahead of any public business school in Nigeria and is well recognized.

Education is cheap. Quality Education is damn expensive.Nigeria cannot afford to put every student on scholarship cos u attend a public university. The 45k school fees doesnt cut it at all.

Thanks, these are my exact thoughts!

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

4 Habits That Silently Kill You / FG Reaches Agreement With ASUU, Releases N15.4bn / ASUU Commences Indefinite Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.