Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,897 members, 7,814,034 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:32 AM

I Wonder Why One Person Should Own Houses In Ikoyi, Asokoro, Dubai –obi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Wonder Why One Person Should Own Houses In Ikoyi, Asokoro, Dubai –obi (797 Views)

Efcc Stormed My Street In Asokoro / Exposed: 15 Nigerian Politicians Who Own Houses In Dubai / President Buhari's N2.1 Billion Asokoro Mansion, Abuja - Breaking Times (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Wonder Why One Person Should Own Houses In Ikoyi, Asokoro, Dubai –obi by mike404(m): 7:04am On Jul 02, 2013
The governor spoke in Enugu during the thanksgiving service and award ceremony to mark the end of the 2nd Session of the 15th Synod of Anglican Diocese of Enugu at St. Bartholomew’s Church, Asata, Enugu.

He lamented that the level of greed among political office holders in the country was very disturbing, saying it was wrong to use public funds to amass wealth whereas the poor masses were left in abject poverty.

His words: “A very prominent person called today and asked me: what is your plan concerning politics after your current tenure? I’m telling you now what I told him.

”For me, I have come to the end of it; I want to quit and rest. However, I have been praying to God that for the sake of the good people of Anambra State, please give them somebody like Peter Obi.

”The level of greed in Nigeria is overwhelming, where people can’t see the suffering of other people, they are just accumulating wealth. For me, it is time to go.

”I wonder why one person should own houses in Ikoyi, Asokoro, Dubai and he is not using them for anything. People accumulate what they don’t need. It is madness. The level of greed in Nigeria is intolerable.

”I want all of us to be praying for Nigeria, so that God will touch the heart of our leaders to use public money for the people. In Anambra State, we have never borrowed money, despite all the works we are doing but we have continued to do good for our people.”

Cost of running gov’s office

Obi, whose speech was greeted with a loud applause from the congregation, further lamented the level of financial waste in government, stressing that the cost of running a governor’s office in Nigeria was too much.

”When I came in as governor, I discovered that the state had 70 workers in Abuja liaison office. Apart from their salary, we spend close to N15 million maintaining that office. They have nothing doing there than to come to the airport and welcome me whenever I visited, constituting nuisance. So we re-deployed the workers and closed down the place. Till date, we have not missed them, which means they were really doing nothing there.

”I urge all of us to pray for greedy people in this country; they are accumulating what they don’t need, stop accumulating things for your children,” he charged politicians, stressing that he had never bought a car for any of his children.

”I have told them to buy cars when they make their money. I have also never celebrated birthday for them. They can do that when they leave my house. We should stop wasting public fund.”

The Anglican Bishop of Ijebu South West, Rt. Rev. Dr. Babatunde Ogunbanwo had earlier in his homily charged Christians to have a right view of Jesus Christ in order to overcome the challenges of life.

Speaking on the theme “overcoming the challenges of the time”, at the service presided over by the Bishop Emmanuel Chukwuma of the Enugu Diocese, Bishop Ogunbanwo observed that the society was no longer conscious of good virtues, stressing that lesbianism, homosexuality, nudity, terrorism, suicide bombing and greed had all become part of life.

”Therefore, you must make deliberate effort to remain focused as a Christian, you must have a right view of the world and your position”, he advised.

Highlight of the event was presentation of award to the Deputy Speaker of the House of Reps, Hon. Emeka Ihedioha, Prince Engr. Arthur Eze and Unoma Ekaete Akpabio, wife of Akwa Ibom State Governor, Godswill Akpabio.

2 Likes

Re: I Wonder Why One Person Should Own Houses In Ikoyi, Asokoro, Dubai –obi by mike404(m): 7:06am On Jul 02, 2013
Re: I Wonder Why One Person Should Own Houses In Ikoyi, Asokoro, Dubai –obi by mike404(m): 7:07am On Jul 02, 2013
IT SHALL BE WELL WITH ANAMBRARIANS
Re: I Wonder Why One Person Should Own Houses In Ikoyi, Asokoro, Dubai –obi by nerodenero: 7:16am On Jul 02, 2013
Inasmuch as I agree completely with Gov. Obi's submission,he isnt any better than his colleagues who loot the treasury of this great country.Until our Judicial system is able to bring to book all corrupt leaders no matter their position in the country,then we will indeed be a better country.
Re: I Wonder Why One Person Should Own Houses In Ikoyi, Asokoro, Dubai –obi by AbuMikey(m): 7:50am On Jul 02, 2013
Story Story!
Re: I Wonder Why One Person Should Own Houses In Ikoyi, Asokoro, Dubai –obi by JUO(m): 7:52am On Jul 02, 2013
How many u get?
Re: I Wonder Why One Person Should Own Houses In Ikoyi, Asokoro, Dubai –obi by ebucha: 8:24am On Jul 02, 2013
What if the person is a hard working business tycoon like Dangote or Adenuga and not a Poli-thief-cian like you?
Re: I Wonder Why One Person Should Own Houses In Ikoyi, Asokoro, Dubai –obi by Desric(m): 9:53am On Jul 02, 2013
With all due respect His Excellency sir, you are not practising what you are preaching because I am very much aware that all the Governors in Nigeria 'except Rochas Okorocha of Imo state' collects the evil wicked and heartless security vote no matter how poor the economy of their state is of which you are one of them so what did you do to curb excessive waste of public funds and what are the impacts of your savings or recoveries of those funds in the state.

It is not enough to tell us how much we've recovered from Abacha's loots, the fact should be what have we done with it and or where is the money invested? My dear Governor, we ve seen people like you in the past, I presume what you mean by quitting politics is that you will not contest elections again, because I know you are very cunning and cautious so you will be doing well with political appointments rather than contest elections. Sen. Anyim Pious Anyim towed that line and today, he is now counting his blessings.

You all are one and the same people, we need selfless patriotic leaders who will understand that a good name is far much better than silver and gold... Take Bayelsa state for instance, everyday the Governor keep touting about savings he has made from the leakages in the cost of running the Government but still go to the state today, there is no visible project to match the amount of touting he is making.

In Nigeria, we have lots of noise makers in the name of freedom fighters, human rights and good governance activists but all of them are all wolves in sheep clothing. What we need is just the that we can see.

(1) (Reply)

A Tale Of Two Crooks: Farouk Lawan Vs Omeleze Chris, By The Nigeria Police. / Rehabilitation And Reconstruction Of Schools: The Delta Story In Pictures! / Sango To Ojodu Abiodun Road Project: Contractors Move To Site..Ogun Govt:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.